PDA

View Full Version : Yawning portal 8th dungeon????

Ohdin
2017-05-14, 09:01 PM
Hey guys, I'm preparing a yawning portal campaign however there isn't much of a storyline to be made. (Unless I've totally missed it) I want to add one more "Boss" into the story. I was thinking of a wanderer who is a thrall of a mind flayer who wants to resummon one "Boss" the players encounter from each dungeon and have them fight them once more before having to face the Mind Flayer. Ideas are welcomed and encouraged.

Lolzyking
2017-05-14, 09:29 PM
run a hypercube/tesseract.

Ohdin
2017-05-14, 09:32 PM
Just so everyone is clear this will be my first real campaign. I've ran a few AL adventures with new people but this is my first book campaign

Lolzyking
2017-05-14, 09:34 PM
Alright, the only major advice is ...embrace meepo, love the meepo, be the meepo

Ohdin
2017-05-14, 09:39 PM
Meepo? What's?

Ohdin
2017-05-14, 09:40 PM
Isn't that the kobold dragon keeper?

Lolzyking
2017-05-14, 10:40 PM
yes, hes a very interesting npc, assuming the player don't just kill him.

Ohdin
2017-05-15, 06:46 AM
Oh OK. But this doesn't help with this thread.....

MeeposFire
2017-05-15, 09:46 PM
The Yawning Portal? For some reason I want to say that is teh name of the tavern on top of Undermountain. Perhaps that would be a good place to adventure. It is classic and comes with a number of potential villains.

Trask
2017-05-15, 10:46 PM
The Yawning Portal? For some reason I want to say that is teh name of the tavern on top of Undermountain. Perhaps that would be a good place to adventure. It is classic and comes with a number of potential villains.

He's talking about the new book of remastered old school adventures that just came out.

You could connect all of them, but I actually think its more in the spirit of the kind of adventures that are in the book to make it a more pulpy, episodic campaign. Use the Yawning Portal as a base of operations for the party and they hear about all these dungeons there after each adventure.

If you really want to connect them all though, definitely make Acererak from the Tomb of Horrors as the mastermind behind everything, hes planning his return and the evil druid, black dragon, the evils of the Shrine, Keraptis, the red wizards, the giants and everything are either his minions or descendants of his minions and are preparing the world for his return as the Undead King of all.

Puh Laden
2017-05-15, 11:44 PM
You can also set it up so that each adventure is being told by the barkeep (possibly to the group that takes on the Tomb of Horrors) so that each adventure has different PCs built by the players. If the adventures are being told to the final party, you could say that the party then goes and seeks out all the magic items that the players found before in preparation for the final adventure. The only problem being that ToH is the kind of adventure where magic items dont help much.

I think it could be a neat idea to try. Maybe use a different way of narrating description. Instead of "you hear the sounds of laughter on the other side of the door," it's "they heard laughter on the other side of the door."