PDA

View Full Version : Please Remove Thread

Krestus
2017-05-14, 09:33 PM
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

JNAProductions
2017-05-14, 09:42 PM
Four skills is stepping on the Rogue's toes.

Should be Scale Mail, not Chain Mail. Chain is heavy-scale is medium.

Wait, did I say four? I meant five. Because no ranger would EVER pick Survival when they get expertise at first level anyway. So yeah. Better skillmonkey than the rogue.

The 12th level Hunter's Mark feature is really powerful against BBEGs. But that being said, good fights have plenty of minions, so while I want it playtested, it's not screaming broken to me.

Nature's Guardian is OP, because spells. Your spell DC should not exceed 19-with this, it does. I'd make it +2 to all three physical stats, up to 22.

Right, you get extra attack at level 3. That's really freaking powerful-too powerful.

Coordinated Attack can be rewritten to read "Once you land a hit on something without crazy high AC, you won't miss again until it dies". Because that's basically what it boils down to. It's far too powerful.

Bestial Fury brings you up to three attacks, total, which is okay.

I'd bump the companion being able to attack freely to level 5 (basically your Extra Attack) and find something else for level 3.

Edit: Also, this belongs in a different subforum.

Krestus
2017-05-14, 10:40 PM
Four skills is stepping on the Rogue's toes.

Should be Scale Mail, not Chain Mail. Chain is heavy-scale is medium.

Wait, did I say four? I meant five. Because no ranger would EVER pick Survival when they get expertise at first level anyway. So yeah. Better skillmonkey than the rogue.

The 12th level Hunter's Mark feature is really powerful against BBEGs. But that being said, good fights have plenty of minions, so while I want it playtested, it's not screaming broken to me.

Nature's Guardian is OP, because spells. Your spell DC should not exceed 19-with this, it does. I'd make it +2 to all three physical stats, up to 22.

Right, you get extra attack at level 3. That's really freaking powerful-too powerful.

Coordinated Attack can be rewritten to read "Once you land a hit on something without crazy high AC, you won't miss again until it dies". Because that's basically what it boils down to. It's far too powerful.

Bestial Fury brings you up to three attacks, total, which is okay.

I'd bump the companion being able to attack freely to level 5 (basically your Extra Attack) and find something else for level 3.

Edit: Also, this belongs in a different subforum.

Thanks for pointing out the typo, it's been fixed for the next version to go up.

The skills were increased to 4 from 3 because Medicine was added to the list and it's a necessary grab for the features of the class. No other skills were added as options. This keeps the skills exactly the same as with all rangers before it.

Expertise is not meant to GRANT Survival and net you free extra skills (no one has ever interpreted it that way thus far...). I'll remove Survival from the list of available skills and write it out to clarify at the beginning of the feature in case that's misundertood.

The companion's attack is not the same as as Extra Attack... I shouldn't have to explain this. The damage output of the class remains the same or below other martial classes at this, spells and beast included.

The hunter's mark damage doesn't apply to the beast until 5th, helping to keep pace.

Coordinated attack was altered to LOWER the number of attacks compared to the UA version and, in practice, isn't as powerful with your limited abilities at that level as you may think it is. You have to take the loss of certain spells and other factors into account when thinking about this.

Increasing your chances of landing ONE additional fairly weak weapon attack in specific circumstances...

Bestial fury is unchanged from the UA class, but weaker due to new companion restrictions.

Not even gonna finish this. Virtually nothing you stated checks out. Please keep in mind what other classes at comparable levels are getting when giving your input, especially if it's lengthy. I'm closing the thread and moving it elsewhere.

Cl0001
2017-05-14, 10:50 PM
I don't like it. You made beastmaster better, but there have already been a ton of reworks of the archetype and I see yours as not that good. I also don't like how you altered the spell list so much and removed/changed a couple of cool spells. I did like the 20th level ability though. It's really powerful, but no more powerful than the barbs level 20 ability. I honestly wish all classes had that good of a 20th level ability.

JNAProductions
2017-05-14, 10:53 PM
The tying to skills is pretty weak. Rangers are encouraged to take Medicine, but they'd hardly be crippled by not taking it.

Then reword it. Rogue's and Bard's Expertise specify skills you're already proficient in-this does not.

You're dealing, at worst, 1d8+Str/Dex plus 1d6+2 at level three. That's, assuming the minimum Str/Dex of the wielder is +2, 12 points of damage. Compare that to a Fighter's 10 at that level, assuming a +3 stat mod (which MIGHT be reasonable, since the Fighter is more SAD than a Ranger) AND a two-handed weapon, whereas you're using a shield. And that's spending no resources-it bumps up by 3.5 if you include Hunter's Mark.

At level 5, you're dealing 1d8+Str/Dex (should be +3 at this point) plus 1d6+2, for the same 12, maybe 13. Fighters now deal 22, which is much better, but if you spend Hunter's Mark, you're up to 20 with a better AC than that Fighter. (Fighter without a two-hander is doing only 21, assuming Dueling style-a meager 17 without it.)

Except, you know, nigh-constant advantage. Assuming that, out of 20 attacks, you're hitting on 8s, the fighter is hitting on 7s, and the companion is hitting on 9s, you're looking at a bit less DPR without advantage. but with advantage, which is very likely to happen against any foe who lasts more than a round, you'll be hitting far better, increasing your DPR significantly.

Bestial Fury is, like I said, fine. It's basically Extra Attack 2 at level 11-same as a fighter. Don't say it's weaker, though-it's 2d6+2 (with Hunter's Mark) making it only slightly weaker than a Fighter's Greatsword, and about on par with a one-hander Fighter. 'Course, it still has advantage...

Do us all a favor, and when asking for advice, actually listen to the feedback.

I don't like it. You made beastmaster better, but there have already been a ton of reworks of the archetype and I see yours as not that good. I also don't like how you altered the spell list so much and removed/changed a couple of cool spells. I did like the 20th level ability though. It's really powerful, but no more powerful than the barbs level 20 ability. I honestly wish all classes had that good of a 20th level ability.

Cl0001, you probably want to say WHY you don't like it. Point out flaws, rather than just saying it's bad in general.

And it's actually a LOT more powerful-it affects Spell DCs, making it literally impossible for some monsters to pass saves, whereas the Barbarian's Capstone does nothing like that.

Edit: Also, you can just report your own thread to have it moved. You don't have to delete anything.