PDA

View Full Version : Sports fans in the Playground?

rollfrenzy
2007-08-01, 12:57 PM
So, I am one of the few (i think) gamers who really enjoy watching (and playing) sports as well. Since it is almost football season here in the States, I thought I might see if there are any other "closet" sports fans on these here forums.

What are your favorite sports to watch?

American football for sure.
European football (soccer) although I don't get to see it much being as it's about as popular here as watching paint dry.

Who are you favorite Teams/players?

The Pittsburgh Steelers
As for in soccer, I am a columbus crew fan (MLS) and I support Arsenal when I can catch thier games, but really any Premiership team is fun to watch.

discuss.

Lord Herman
2007-08-01, 01:05 PM

Bicycle racing, and the Tour de France in particular.

Michael Rasmussen for his skill, and Bram Tankink for being an awesome person.

rollfrenzy
2007-08-01, 01:11 PM
I find the tour pretty interesting, don't get to follow it much, but I will tune in when it's on.

Zherog
2007-08-01, 01:23 PM
Favorite Sports

Baseball
Hockey
Football (the real kind, not that silly soccer game Europeans insist on calling football :smalltongue: )

Favorite Teams

baseball Philadelphia Phillies (despite their sheer suckitude), Boston Red Sox
Football Philadelphia Eagles
Hockey Philadelphia Flyers (despite their ability to disappoint year after year), Edmonton Oilers (I love that a small market team in Canada can generally be so successful)

Least Favorite Teams

baseball Mets, Braves
Football Cowgirls, Giants, Redskins (though they've sucked so much in recent years it's hard to remember to hate them)
Hockey Devils, Rangers, Blue Jackets (because it's the stupidest freakin' name for a team)

rollfrenzy
2007-08-01, 01:36 PM
Favorite Teams

baseball Philadelphia Phillies (despite their sheer suckitude), Boston Red Sox
Football Philadelphia Eagles
Hockey Philadelphia Flyers (despite their ability to disappoint year after year), Edmonton Oilers (I love that a small market team in Canada can generally be so successful)

I am detecting a pattern here, but it's not quite clear to me.

from PA and no love for the Steelers? guess not everybody can be perfect.

So incredibly stoked for football to start. Crappy preseason play in only 4 1/2 days!

Zherog
2007-08-01, 01:38 PM
More specifically, I'm from Philadelphia. :smallsmile: Just be happy the "Stillers" didn't make my list of "least favorite" teams. :smallwink:

Chunklets
2007-08-01, 01:45 PM
Well then,

Favourite Sports:

Soccer (I have been involved in this sport in pretty much every imaginable way - playing, coaching, watching etc.)
Baseball
Ice Hockey
North American Football (CFL and NFL)

Favourite Teams:

Soccer: Millwall ("No one likes us, we don't care"), Napoli (Back in Serie A after far too long, yay!). I'm getting there with the new Toronto MLS team.
Baseball: Toronto Blue Jays
Ice Hockey: Gotta support my local side, so the Edmonton Oilers. I also have a soft spot for the Montreal Canadiens.
CFL: Edmonton Eskimos, although I divorced from them for a time after they sold the Edmonton Trappers to Round Rock, Texas. After they missed the playoffs last year, I figured they'd suffered enough, and came back to them.
NFL: Green Bay Packers (they wear the same colours as the Eskimos, so it cuts down on the thought required)

Least Favourite Teams:

Soccer: Wet Spam West Ham, Chelsea, Juventus (after the match-fixing scandal, may they never win another game), AC Milan (can't stand their owner). Oddly enough, my two favourite players are Gennaro Gattuso, who plays for AC Milan, and Gianluigi Buffon, who plays for Juventus...
Baseball: All the teams in the AL East who are not the Toronto Blue Jays, and the Atlanta Braves.
Ice Hockey: The Calgary Flames, of course, the Anaheim Ducks, and the New York Rangers
CFL: Nobody, really, now that Don Matthews isn't coaching anymore.
NFL: Dallas, Oakland, Indianapolis, and the NY Giants

mudbunny
2007-08-01, 02:04 PM

Hockey
Football
Soccer

Hockey - Ottawa Senators
Football - Indianapolis Colts, Green Bay Packers
Soccer - Never really watched enough to have a favourite team. Fan of Arsenal, if only because they use a cannon as their symbol, and I used to be in the Artillery.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-01, 02:12 PM
Football (the real kind, not that silly American game they insist on calling football).

I play quite a lot - 5-, 6- and 11-a-side as a goalkeeper.

I like watching grass court tennis, snooker and occasionally rugby.

rollfrenzy
2007-08-01, 02:14 PM
I loved being keeper, nothing like that last few seconds when the striker breaks away from your defenders and theres only you and him... That moment right before the commit.

Argent
2007-08-01, 02:21 PM
Football, football, football -- American style, that is. Rabid Bears fan, having been born and bred in the Chicago area. (Which means as much as I love the Bears, I have nothing but loathing for our green-and-gold nemeses from across the border.)

Chunklets
2007-08-01, 02:26 PM
I loved being keeper, nothing like that last few seconds when the striker breaks away from your defenders and theres only you and him... That moment right before the commit.

qft, although the moment when you're lying on the ground with the striker wondering how the hell you blocked his shot is pretty special too! :smallwink: It's even better, and I only managed it a couple of times when I was playing, when you make a save when the opposing team is already celebrating.

KuReshtin
2007-08-01, 02:26 PM
I like watching and playing football (the American version, not that sissy sport they call football over here)

Zherog's not going to like me, but I support the Cowboys and have done so for the past 16-17 years or so.
Of course, I also support the team I play for, the Glasgow Tigers in the British American Football League (http://www.bafl.org.uk).

Other than that, I'm just an occasional sports fan. I can find myself watching a game of baseball, ice hockey, Aussie Rules Football, Arena Football, Canadian Football, or sometimes even rugby or a game of cricket (Good hangover sport. You can fall asleep for an hour and when you wake up, nothing's happened so you haven't missed anything :smallbiggrin: ).

ForzaFiori
2007-08-01, 02:50 PM
Sports i like watching:
Football (college and pro)
Soccer
F1

Favorite Teams/Drivers:
Clemson Tigers (College Football)
Carolina Panthers (Pro Football)
LA Galaxy (US Soccer)
Roma (World Clubs)
Kimi Räikkönen (F1)

Zar Peter
2007-08-01, 02:51 PM
Favourite Sport:

-)Football (the european one), played myself about 10 years as goalkeeper, defender and midfielder.
-)Snooker (don't think of it as a sport but they show it on Eurosport so it must be one)
-)This funny lawn chess they show once in a year in february called "Super Bowl"

Favourite Team:

Austria Wien

Least Favourite Team:

Rapid Wien

Ikkitosen
2007-08-01, 03:03 PM
qft, although the moment when you're lying on the ground with the striker wondering how the hell you blocked his shot is pretty special too! :smallwink: It's even better, and I only managed it a couple of times when I was playing, when you make a save when the opposing team is already celebrating.

Yep - even when you make a save with your face, or nuts, or somewhere else painful, it's still a great game.

Indurain
2007-08-01, 03:06 PM

Hockey.
NFL/CFL
Hockey.
Golf
Hockey.

Hockey - LEAFS! Also Carolina Hurricanes, Calgary Flames, and Buffalo Sabres.
NFL - Carolina Panthers, Miami Dolphins
CFL - ARGOOOOOSS! And the Lions.
Golf - Mike Weir, Phil Mickelson.

Least favourite?

Hockey - Red Wings, Dallas Stars.
NFL - Patriots, 49ers
CFL - Alouettes. I'd say Ti-Cats, but...they're just too sad to hate.
Golf - You can't hate anyone in golf...that's just absurd.

Gaelbert
2007-08-01, 03:10 PM
I like to watch baseball and play fantasy baseball. I like to play soccer and watch soccer, but only the European stuff.
My favorite team is the LA Dodgers.
And somewhat on topic, I went to the Baseball Hall of Fame for Cal Ripken Jr.'s and Tony Gwynn's induction. It was amazing, and there were at least three or four other people there named after Cal Ripken. Fun.

rollfrenzy
2007-08-01, 03:18 PM
That's pretty cool, getting to go to the induction. I heard it was pretty special, set all kinds of attendance records.

Zherog
2007-08-01, 03:25 PM
Cooperstown is high on my places to see. My wife and I once planned a trip that involved going to Fenway to see a game, then to Cooperstown for a few days, then to Yankees Stadium to see a game. I scored tickets to a Sox-Yankees game 8 rows behind home plate from a sales rep at my job. I got tickets for a Yankees-Jays game from a ticket broker.

Something came up - I don't remember what. I think maybe my wife ended up getting a new job and starting the week our trip was planned. The Sox game was on a Saturday, so we drove up to Boston Friday night, poked around a bit on Saturday and went to the game, then came home on Sunday. We ended up canceling the trip to Cooperstown. My father and I drove to the Bronx for that game.

Also, seeing a game at Wrigley Field and Dodger Stadium are high on my baseball "wish list."

Zar Peter
2007-08-01, 03:30 PM
I'm just remembering my honeymoon.
We drove from Vienna to Graz (150 km), buying two tickets for the match Austria - GAK, then we drove to the Wörther See (another 150 km) and checked in, then we drove back to Graz to see the match and than we drove to the Wörther See again to go to sleep. (Yes, my wife likes Football, too!)

ALOR
2007-08-01, 03:44 PM
Favorite sports to watch:
NFL football
College Football
Baseball

Favorite teams:
The Ohio State Buckeyes
Cincinnatti Bengals (whodey!!!!!!)
Cincinnatti Reds (nothing clever to put here we suck)

Mosted Hated Teams:
Michigan Wolverine's
Crapsburgs Steelers
Cleveland Browns
Chicago Cubs

rollfrenzy
2007-08-01, 03:48 PM
Favorite sports to watch:

Favorite teams:
The Ohio State Buckeyes
Cincinnatti Bengals (WE-dey!!!!!!)(nothing clever to put here we suck)
Cincinnatti Reds

Fixed it for ya.:smallsmile:

Oh yeah, ditto on Ohio State Football.

ALOR
2007-08-01, 03:52 PM
cute, very cute (sits quietly stewing so he can plan his revenge):smallfurious:

Thes Hunter
2007-08-01, 04:07 PM
LET'S GO BLUE!

Gaelbert
2007-08-01, 04:55 PM
I took a tour package, I went to an Orioles game, a Phillies game, a Mets game, Yankee stadium (where we got to go into the clubhouse and dugout), and finally Cooperrstown.
Thes Hunter: What blue, exactly? Blue and gold?

Hoggy
2007-08-01, 05:01 PM
There's loads of sport I love to play/participate in, few I'm much good at. The only one I can watch is football though, everything else bores me.

Fav team? ROCHDALE AFC BABY :smalltongue:

Zherog
2007-08-01, 05:28 PM
I took a tour package, I went to a ... Phillies game

Back when Veteran's Stadium was still around, or at Citizen's Bank Park?

Thes Hunter
2007-08-01, 05:44 PM
Thes Hunter: What blue, exactly? Blue and gold?

Maize and blue to be precise. :smallbiggrin:

And this is blue:

http://flagcity.net/store/images/uploads/MichiganBanner.jpg

I was yanking ALOR's chain (and anyone else's chain who happens to have the same misguided Collegiate football alliances).

For those of you not familiar, Ohio State and Michigan have a wee tiny little rivalry. :smalltongue:

Nomrom
2007-08-01, 05:46 PM
Favorite Sports
Football (not soccer)
Basketball
Baseball
hockey

Favorite Teams
Any sport - I actually prefer college sports to professional sports. And there is room in my heart for only one team. My Texas A&M Fightin' Texas Aggies. (WHOOP!)
Houston Astros (baseball) - this season has been a disaster and doesn't look like it will improve, but I'm still holding out
Houston Rockets (basketball) - they've done okay in recent years, but next year they are going to be awesome
Houston Aeros (hockey) - they're not even major league, but the idea of cheering for a different city is something I can't grasp
Houston Texans (football) - they're still a young team, and I've never been a big pro football fan, so I only kind of follow them. if they start winning though, I assure you I will be just as big a fan as anyone

@^: A tiny little rivalry that Michigan consistently comes out on the worst end of, if I remember correctly.

Gaelbert
2007-08-01, 05:48 PM
Back when Veteran's Stadium was still around, or at Citizen's Bank Park?

Way back last week. I'll let you guess.:smallwink:
And I'm a Berkely fan myself, so I wasn't sure about those colors.

Zherog
2007-08-01, 05:56 PM
Good - you got to see our good ballpark, rather than the Hell Hole.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-01, 05:57 PM
@^: A tiny little rivalry that Michigan consistently comes out on the worst end of, if I remember correctly.

Consistenly?

You're young. :smalltongue:

Yes, the last three seasons, OSU has won, much to my bitter regret. But while I was going to school, Michigan won far more than they lost. :smallcool:

Also, Michigan leads the entire series, 57-40-6.

So I don't know if you would call that consistently coming out the worst end. :smallwink:

You can always read more at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan-Ohio_State_rivalry). :smallbiggrin:

Midnight Son
2007-08-01, 08:24 PM
Favorite Sports to watch

American Football (live or on TV)
Baseball (only live)
Softball (I'll watch it from the dugout or on the field(preferably just to the right and behind first base))
UFC (also live or on TV)

Favorite Teams
In any Football game involving the Miami Dolphins, that's who I'm supporting. I have no other favorite teams, so I either pick the one that has a player I like, or conversely, I support the team without a player I can't stand.

zeratul
2007-08-01, 08:33 PM
Wow not many baskwtball fans here.

game -Basketball

Team - The Syracuse Orangemen

Nomrom
2007-08-01, 08:33 PM
Consistenly?

You're young. :smalltongue:

Yes, the last three seasons, OSU has won, much to my bitter regret. But while I was going to school, Michigan won far more than they lost. :smallcool:

Also, Michigan leads the entire series, 57-40-6.

So I don't know if you would call that consistently coming out the worst end. :smallwink:

You can always read more at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan-Ohio_State_rivalry). :smallbiggrin:

Well, I am young, only 19. And my paying attention to college sports other than A&M and t.u. started about two years ago. Unfortunately, I have a habit of talking about subjects I have only basic information about as though I know quite a bit. I guess they're doing better than I thought.

@V: A Florida fan, huh? You must have really enjoyed this lat year than.

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-08-01, 08:34 PM
Favorite Sports (In order)
Baseball (TV or Live)
American Football (TV or Live)
-Professional
-College
Basketball (TV or Live)
-Professional
-College
Hockey (Live)

Favorite Teams
Boston Red Sox
NE Patriots
University of Florida (Football & Basketball)
Boston Celtics

Least Favorite Teams
NY Yankees (suck)
Florida State University
LA Lakers
Indianapolis Colts

North
2007-08-01, 08:42 PM
Im a huge Oilers fan. I bleed copper and orange.

I love my NHL

ForzaFiori
2007-08-01, 09:02 PM
Houston Texans (football) - they're still a young team, and I've never been a big pro football fan, so I only kind of follow them. if they start winning though, I assure you I will be just as big a fan as anyone

wait, You think the Texans are actually gonna start winning?

wow, maybe hell will freeze over too! :smallbiggrin:

Pepper
2007-08-01, 09:12 PM

CFL - Alouettes. I'd say Ti-Cats, but...they're just too sad to hate.

Hey weve got big plans for week 6 :p

Nomrom
2007-08-01, 09:46 PM
wait, You think the Texans are actually gonna start winning?

wow, maybe hell will freeze over too! :smallbiggrin:

No, I'm not holding out much hope for them. There is a possibility though. They got rid if the moron who was their general manager, and the whole team is basically new. It's basically starting all over, so who knows how they'll do.

Gaelbert
2007-08-02, 12:09 AM
Least Favorite Teams
NY Yankees (suck)

When I was in Baltimore, I saw a number of shirts that said Yankees Suck, I Don't Date Yankee Fans, or some other bits of wisdom to that effect. I feel those also apply to the Giants. I can't stand Bonds, and hope he breaks the record in LA so he gets the appreciation he deserves (pure hatred).

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-02, 12:49 AM
Hockey is the only one I pay attention to with any frequency, although, come Euro/World Cup time, I find myself cheering for England and watching closely.

Leafs, Rangers, Avs

Hate with fiery passion
Red Wings, Ducks

Soccer I actually find much more fun to play. I have never understood the fascination with American Football.

ALOR
2007-08-02, 07:17 AM
I was yanking ALOR's chain (and anyone else's chain who happens to have the same misguided Collegiate football alliances).

For those of you not familiar, Ohio State and Michigan have a wee tiny little rivalry. :smalltongue:

The greatest college football rivalry I would say. Oh and just to yank the chain a bit more, who won last year?:smallbiggrin:

rollfrenzy let us put our NFL diffrences aside

O H

Charity
2007-08-02, 07:39 AM
Favorite Sports

Baseball Rounders
Hockey
Handball (the kind where you dress up in a big padded sofa and pretend to play a proper game, between advertising and sitting about breaks, not that Football game Europeans insist on calling football :smalltongue: )

*spills Z's pint*

Ooopsy

Damn theres another one for the list!

Soccer: Millwall Soccer: Wet Spam West Ham,

For these three crimes you have both been tried in your absence and found guilty of high treason ... The choppers are on their way...

I'd be a Football fan in the most part, an Irons fan (for my sins)
Apart from that a bit of tennis and International Rugby but not a lot else.

rollfrenzy
2007-08-02, 07:55 AM
I-O

there ya go Alor, your lucky you like one good team.

Can't spell Lloyd Carr without 5 LLLLL's.

(1-5 versus Tressel)

ALOR
2007-08-02, 08:16 AM
So i have a question thats slightly off topic for you all across the pond, down under and up north. How popular are college/university sports where you are. Here in the states college sports are huge but i've always wondered if thats how it is in other countries

Chunklets
2007-08-02, 04:26 PM

I used to date a Michigan student, and we actually contrived once to go to a football game against OSU in Ann Arbor (this was awhile ago - Eddie George was playing for Ohio State that day). 110,000 people or so in the stands - it was great fun! Michigan won, too, and screwed up Ohio State's chances of making the Rose Bowl, so Ann Arbor was rockin' that evening. Good times!

Damn theres another one for the list!

Originally Posted by Chunklets
Soccer: Millwall Soccer: Wet Spam West Ham,

For these three crimes you have both been tried in your absence and found guilty of high treason ... The choppers are on their way...

* sings *

let em come, let em come, let em come,
let em all come down to the Den,
let em come, let em come, let em come

And so on and so forth... :smallbiggrin:

Rykaj
2007-08-02, 06:00 PM
Favorite sport: Football (NOT American loungeball, you know that sport where they lounge around the grass all afternoon and maybe take a walk for 5-10 seconds every once in a while... What's it called again... Oh wait, they also call that football! Weirdos :smalltongue:)

And tennis!

I'm pretty much a fan of the sports I play myself, way bigger fan of football though. Hurray for being a striker. Seeing the fear in the eye of the goalie as you rush towards him. Reading in his posture that he has no clue what your next move will be. Watching him flinch as you line up for the shot, only to pass it diligently by him in the net. Gotta love it!

Favorite teams: Ajax! Or when in Europe just any Dutch team. Or any team which plays beautiful and attacking football. Which means I mostly dislike Italian teams and like English sides. And Lyon, gotta love Lyon.

Favorite players: Sneijder, he'll be the king of Europe. Van Persie, he's almost the king of Europe. Juninho, he's the king of France, and I'm ashamed to say it, but I also love watching Totti.
And for tennis: Federer of course, because you just can't hate him!

Least favorite teams: Any Portugese team, ugly football. Most Italian teams, especially Juventus. And very often I dispise AC Milan. Semi-finals vs Manchester they rocked though. One of their best games ever.

Oh I should seriously stop talking. I could write pagelong essays about football. Love it, love it, love it. I really do :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: To answer ALOR's question: They don't have university sports here at all, sadly. That's something you've got that I'm pretty jealous of. I'm figuring it's pretty awesome.

Ted_Stryker
2007-08-02, 09:11 PM
Favorite sports - Pro baseball, college & pro hoops, college & pro football (the NFL).

I did my undergrad at Michigan State, so the Spartans have my college sports allegiance. I have to say that I have a lot more antipathy towards Notre Dame for football and Duke for basketball than I do for any team in the Big Ten.

Favorite pro teams are all from Chicago, since I grew up in the part of Michigan that got WGN and the other Chicago TV station over any Detroit-leaning stations. So, the Cubs, Bears, and Bulls. I also adopted the Twins as my favorite AL team while I was working in Minneapolis from '01-'04.

Nomrom
2007-08-02, 09:48 PM
The greatest college football rivalry I would say.

Well, I would have to say otherwise. The greatest college rivalry is the one that divides my great state of Texas.

@V: Wouldn't that be Florida/Florida State?

Midnight Son
2007-08-02, 09:55 PM
Well, I would have to say otherwise. The greatest college rivalry is the one that divides my great state of Texas.You guys argue over Miami/Florida state too? Wierd.:smallyuk:

Dementrius
2007-08-02, 10:31 PM
So i have a question thats slightly off topic for you all across the pond, down under and up north. How popular are college/university sports where you are. Here in the states college sports are huge but i've always wondered if thats how it is in other countries

[Australia] College/university sports are generally ignored (except by those at the college/university at the time). It's hard to rustle up the enthusiasm for a second tier competition when you have at least 4 football codes to support during winter. Some of them are even played against other countries! :smalltongue:

That said, I have a soft spot for the Sydney University Rugby team which managed to win the Shute Shield (Sydney Club competition) for the third consecutive year.

Favorite Teams
Sydney Uni / NSW Waratahs (Union)
Collingwood Magpies/ Sydney Swans (AFL)
Australian Cricket Team - 3 World Cups in a row

Conrad Poohs
2007-08-03, 12:27 AM
<Clears throat>
Prepared to be shocked by a digression from the convention of loving football, soccer and basketball, for my favourite sport is...cricket <dramatic music> :smalleek: Without getting into the details, I think that this sport is one of the most complex and strategical sports around, which is the main reason why I have played it for about 10 years and still wish to marry it were it a biological entity. The other reason I am so addicted to it is that I am still, after the last decade, strugglling to consistently put the theory into effective practice, providing me with an insatiable urge to keep trying, with the as yet unsatisfied potential that I may one day become a good player. All this said, I do understand people not liking to watch it, particularly the tests, as my interest also wains after a while, unless I'm actually involved myself.

I like most other sports - soccer, tennis, lawn bowls, touch football. Nothing more contact than this, though; you'd know why if you've seen me - I'm about an inch and a half over 6ft tall, yet I weigh only about 67kg.

My favourite sports to watch include soccer (World Cup and/or when Australia's playing), speed chess (especially when they have to have a slow-motion replay), table tennis, that wierd form of vollyball where you can't use your hands, vollyball, Rugby League (like Rugby Union, but with a maximum number of tackles per possession and with by far less rules overall), wheelchair rugby, Tour de France, tennis (when an Aussie's playing) and curling (basically lawn bowls on ice that involves brooms).

Anywho, that's enough of me annoying you in this forum, I'm off to another.

ALOR
2007-08-03, 07:35 AM
Favorite sport: Football (NOT American loungeball, you know that sport where they lounge around the grass all afternoon and maybe take a walk for 5-10 seconds every once in a while... What's it called again... Oh wait, they also call that football! Weirdos :smalltongue:)

Oh I should seriously stop talking. I could write pagelong essays about football. Love it, love it, love it. I really do :smallbiggrin:

yes I just attended my 1st MLS game here in the states. We played a English team and of course they spanked us like bad little children.
Watching live soccer was better than any match i had seen on TV, but still i could just not get into it. However my freinds absolutly love soccer so I have been trying my best to at least try to enjoy the game.

EDIT: To answer ALOR's question: They don't have university sports here at all, sadly. That's something you've got that I'm pretty jealous of. I'm figuring it's pretty awesome.
i am surprised by that
it is very awsome, only College football and basketball are REALLY big here. I think the rivalries over college sports are more intense than over pro sports.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-03, 09:17 AM
...Seeing the fear in the eye of the goalie as you rush towards him. Reading in his posture that he has no clue what your next move will be. Watching him flinch as you line up for the shot, only to pass it diligently by him in the net. Gotta love it!

[Trash Talk] In yer dreams glory-boy. Fooling you dumbass strikers is half the fun of being a goalie. The other half is when you get just enough contact on the ball to tip it wide, or onto a post. [/Trash Talk]

Charity
2007-08-03, 09:32 AM
* sings *

let em come, let em come, let em come,
let em all come down to the Den,
let em come, let em come, let em come

And so on and so forth... :smallbiggrin:

Well done for finding a forum friendly football chant from Millwall.

Let me just state that should they ever manage to meet us, the Irons will flatten them :smallbiggrin:

and

STOP CALLING IT BLEEDIN SOCCER, bleeding yanks, it's not as if they've even invented 1 game, even the French have lacrosse... could at least get the name right... dressing in sofa's to play rugby while calling it football..
and their guys play netball ...

rollfrenzy
2007-08-03, 09:45 AM
Charity, Have you ever seen the way US plays "football" (soccer). We are so bad, It SHOULD be called something different. :smallfrown:

Wish it weren't so, but that plus the fact that theres like twelve football fans in the entire country, makes it hard.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-03, 09:50 AM

Let me just state that should they ever manage to meet us, the Irons will flatten them :smallbiggrin:

and

STOP CALLING IT BLEEDIN SOCCER, bleeding yanks, it's not as if they've even invented 1 game, even the French have lacrosse... could at least get the name right... dressing in sofa's to play rugby while calling it football..

Hey now! La Crosse is an American game! A Native American game. It was French gits who happened upon some blokes playing the game, somewhere in modern day Wisconsin I think :smallwink:. Named the game La Crosse, cause the equipment made the shape of the cross.

TheTick
2007-08-03, 09:52 AM
Favorite Sports

Hockey
American Football
Baseball

Favorite Teams

Buffalo Sabres
Chicago Bears
Chicago White Sox

Zherog
2007-08-03, 09:54 AM
Favorite Teams

Buffalo Sabres

Must suck losing all your good players to real teams and also to the New York Rangers. :smallwink:

Delaney Gale
2007-08-03, 10:44 AM
Favorite Sports

Baseball
Gymnastics
Figure Skating
Fencing < ok, so I only really get to watch this when I'm teaching/competing.

Favorite Teams

Detroit Tigers - I've been a fan since I was a wee child. Last year felt so good. ^^
Toledo Mudhens - the Tiger's AAA affiliate. They have an awesome name and an awesome stadium and play high-quality ball. Also, $8 a ticket for excellent seats any day they're in town, even with the extra gas to get to Toledo, is >> reserving weeks in advance for the $8 bleachers at Comerica Park.
South Farmington Storm (yes, this is my brother's little league team >.>)

Least Favorite Teams

Detroit Lions < actually, I think I just pity them.
Colorado Avalanche (I'm from Detroit, it's a prerequisite for living there)

Chunklets
2007-08-03, 12:04 PM

Well, it took some doing! :smalltongue: You should hear some of the ones about Crystal Palace...

This is, sadly, probably entirely correct. Actually Millwall seem to have spent most of the preseason flattening each other; "Changing Room Bust-Up At Millwall" has been a recurring headline. It's going to be a great season...

LCR
2007-08-03, 12:19 PM
NBA Basketball (Go, Pacers!), sometimes football (Go Germany!). I also enjoy watching Poker tournaments, if this counts. Cricket is also fun. And Rugby.
Sports I absolutely hate are doping (Tour de France ... I bet every winner in the last 10 years was so doped up with EPO and his own blood he couldn't even see in a straight line), Snooker (don't get the rules, therefore boring) and Curling (boring, boring, boring).

Lord Herman
2007-08-03, 01:17 PM
Sports I absolutely hate are doping (Tour de France ... I bet every winner in the last 10 years was so doped up with EPO and his own blood he couldn't even see in a straight line)

The thing that bugs me most about this is that the tour is finally getting cleaner, and yet the media are taking every opportunity to create a hype around the latest doping scandal. This year, a grand total of four cyclists were tested positive. That's nothing compared to the huge scandals of earlier years. And yet, the press is all too eager to declare the tour dead. At this point, the tour will either continue as a relatively clean competition, or it will be destroyed by morons who think writing a shocking headline in their newspaper is more important than the survival of the greatest cycling tour in the world.

B-Man
2007-08-03, 01:33 PM
Favourite Sports
NHL Hockey

Favourite Team
Toronto Maple Leafs

Favourite Sports to play
Hockey
Football/Soccer (not the pansy American 'un though... sprained my hand playing tackle football... when it should've been flag football...)
Ultimate Frisbee
Soccer Baseball

Indurain
2007-08-03, 02:26 PM
Hey now! La Crosse is an American game! A Native American game. It was French gits who happened upon some blokes playing the game, somewhere in modern day Wisconsin I think :smallwink:. Named the game La Crosse, cause the equipment made the shape of the cross.

Not the best source but... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacrosse)

It's a Native NORTH American game. Heck, it's our national sport up here, so I really hope we had a hand in it.

To be honest, I don't know for sure the origins (which is criminal since I played for 5 years), but I'm pretty sure us Canucks had something to do with it.

TheTick
2007-08-03, 02:35 PM
Must suck losing all your good players to real teams and also to the New York Rangers. :smallwink:

I like how you point out that the Rangers are seperate from the 'real teams' also. :P We have the potential to be every bit as good this year as the past two years. Tim Connolly (healthy) is basically Danny Briere with better moves. Drury is a huge loss, the wild card is whether someone (Gaustad?) steps into his leadership role. The Sabres have so many talented players in college or the AHL to fill the other roles.

Zherog
2007-08-03, 03:23 PM
I like how you point out that the Rangers are seperate from the 'real teams' also. :P

:biggrin:

Briere was actually my third choice for the free agent centers this summer (with Drury being first and Scott Gomez being second). But I guess the Flyers had different plans. I can't handle another season of Ultimate Suckitude, so I sure hope they picked the right guys...

Trog
2007-08-03, 03:45 PM
Not the best source but... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacrosse)

It's a Native NORTH American game. Heck, it's our national sport up here, so I really hope we had a hand in it.

To be honest, I don't know for sure the origins (which is criminal since I played for 5 years), but I'm pretty sure us Canucks had something to do with it.
Well it is difficult to tell where in North America it originated but we know where it was discovered by Europeans at least:

"La Crosse [Wisconsin] was incorporated as a city in 1856, but its history goes back somewhat farther. The first Europeans to see the site of La Crosse were French fur traders who traveled up and down the Mississippi River beginning in the late 17th Century. Despite this, there is no written record of any visit to the site until 1805, when Lt. Zebulon Pike mounted an expedition up the Mississippi River for the United States. Pike recorded the location's name as "Prairie La Crosse". The name originated when he saw the Native Americans playing a game with sticks that resembled a bishop's crozier or la crosse in French."

No mention of Canucks. :smalltongue:

Chunklets
2007-08-03, 04:03 PM
Well it is difficult to tell where in North America it originated but we know where it was discovered by Europeans at least:

"La Crosse [Wisconsin] was incorporated as a city in 1856, but its history goes back somewhat farther. The first Europeans to see the site of La Crosse were French fur traders who traveled up and down the Mississippi River beginning in the late 17th Century. Despite this, there is no written record of any visit to the site until 1805, when Lt. Zebulon Pike mounted an expedition up the Mississippi River for the United States. Pike recorded the location's name as "Prairie La Crosse". The name originated when he saw the Native Americans playing a game with sticks that resembled a bishop's crozier or la crosse in French."

No mention of Canucks. :smalltongue:

There are European accounts of lacrosse that predate Lt. Pike's expedition. I believe the earliest is that of Fr. Jean de Brebeuf, a jesuit missionary who saw the Hurons playing the game in 1636. I don't where this occurred though - presumable somewhere down around the Great Lakes.

Charity
2007-08-04, 04:37 AM
This is, sadly, probably entirely correct. Actually Millwall seem to have spent most of the preseason flattening each other; "Changing Room Bust-Up At Millwall" has been a recurring headline. It's going to be a great season...

Mate, we are still fighting off the bleeding lawyers over the whole Teves thing.
I have nothing against Millwall though to be fair, at least they are well read. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwall_brick)

LCR
2007-08-04, 11:36 AM
The thing that bugs me most about this is that the tour is finally getting cleaner, and yet the media are taking every opportunity to create a hype around the latest doping scandal. This year, a grand total of four cyclists were tested positive. That's nothing compared to the huge scandals of earlier years. And yet, the press is all too eager to declare the tour dead. At this point, the tour will either continue as a relatively clean competition, or it will be destroyed by morons who think writing a shocking headline in their newspaper is more important than the survival of the greatest cycling tour in the world.

Where the hell is the tour getting cleaner? It's only getting even more hypocritical. Oooh, let's make all the participants sign a paper stating they wouldn't and yet they do. There maybe only four that were actually tested positive but what about those that are suspected of doping (Rasmussen, that Spanish guy that won)?
The tour's dead, it rests in peace, it's an ex-tour. And the Fuentes-Scandal practically buried it.

Rykaj
2007-08-05, 08:01 AM
Have you ever seen the way US plays "football" (soccer). We are so bad, It SHOULD be called something different.

Well you have some good players, they just head for Europe when they get good. Damarcus Beasley is a pretty good winger. And you have that young kid, Freddy Adu. He just went to Benfica, I'm curious how good he'll get. On the other hand, he's of Ghanese origin. They tend to start out really well, but just won't improve that much. Keep your eye on him though, he might just be the new wunderkind. And he's American! :smallwink:

Rare Pink Leech
2007-08-05, 11:18 AM
FAVOURITE SPORT
HOCKEY!!!

FAVOURITE TEAM
Toronto Maple Leafs. I live, breathe, and bleed the blue & white.

LEAST FAVOURITE TEAMS
Ottawa Senators, although this is mostly a product of our super-intense rivalry.
After that, probably the Philadelphia Flyers. I've never liked them, yet strangely enough whenever my uncle & I have discussions on which teams we'd keep in the leage if the NHL reduced the number of teams, I always want the Flyers to remain. Go figure.

In Canada they're not popular at all. In fact, I've always wondered what it is about Americans and their love of college sports.

Charity, Have you ever seen the way US plays "football" (soccer). We are so bad, It SHOULD be called something different. :smallfrown:

Hey, at least you didn't pull a Canada. We were just the hosts of the U-20 tournament, yet went 0-3 and didn't score a single goal :smallfrown:

:biggrin:

Briere was actually my third choice for the free agent centers this summer (with Drury being first and Scott Gomez being second). But I guess the Flyers had different plans. I can't handle another season of Ultimate Suckitude, so I sure hope they picked the right guys...

Huh. My top three were Ryan Smyth, Ryan Smyth, and Ryan Smyth, probably followed by Briere. Must be a matter of national pride :smallwink:

Orzel
2007-08-05, 11:41 AM
Favorite Sport
Basketball followed by pro football

Favorite Teams
NY Yankees, Indiana Pacers

Favorite Team to laugh at and feel pity for
NY Knicks. Those poor guys.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-08-05, 11:52 AM
Well, seeing as I am originally from Detroit, MI...

Loves: American Pro and Collegiate Football, Hockey, Golf
Sometimes: Basketball, Baseball

Football: Lions , Chargers , Wolverines
Hockey: Red Wings, Bruins (probably because I have the eternal optimism from being a Lions fan), Wolverines
Baseball: Tigers, Red Sox
Basketball: Pistons
Golf: Tiger Woods , Vijay Singh

Dislikes: Poker? Playing cards is a hobby, not a sport; and if it were, it would be blackjack.

Football: Cowboys. Have not liked them since the Aikman, Irvin, and Smith days; and naturally the Miniature Vikings.
Hockey: Duh; Avalanche. Any other team I can sit and watch.
Baseball: NY Yankees (suck).
Baketball: Ron Artest. No specific team. He just has this level of dumbarseittude (that is a word..now) that really puts me off.
Golf: Michelle Wie. I like her game, she can be a really good player, but she really needs to get her priorities straight. I just dont want her to become the Anna Kournikova of Golf. Yes, Anna K. is now a sports adjective. :smallsmile:

Conrad Poohs
2007-08-06, 01:42 AM

and

I'm no yank, but here in Australia we use "soccer" too (though I think they may be trying to phase it out). While I agree that it is a fairly ridiculous name for the sport, I think that it should be maintained for the purpose of removing confusion, especially when here in Australia at least there are 3 sports that may be collectively labelled football (Rugby Union, Rugby League and Australian Football League [AFL]).

Gaelbert
2007-08-06, 01:47 AM
A message to all baseball fans out there: I hate Bonds with a loathing that knows no ends. If you support him, why?

Nomrom
2007-08-06, 02:50 AM
A message to all baseball fans out there: I hate Bonds with a loathing that knows no ends. If you support him, why?

I'm assuming he finally tied or broke the record than? Or are you just angry about him in general?

Lucky
2007-08-06, 02:59 AM
A message to all baseball fans out there: I hate Bonds with a loathing that knows no ends. If you support him, why?Look, you have your own opinion, and that's well and good, you're entitled to it. But don't go questioning people who do support him.

LEAST FAVOURITE TEAMS
Ottawa Senators, although this is mostly a product of our super-intense rivalry.

Yeah, so... uh... How's that been working out for you recently? If I recall correctly... Ottawa went to the finals, and the Leafs didn't make the playoffs. :smalltongue:

Oh, and my favourite sport is hockey and I like the Ottawa Senators. :smalltongue:

Indurain
2007-08-06, 04:06 AM
Oh, and my favourite sport is hockey and I like the Ottawa Senators. :smalltongue:

It's okay. We'll forgive you.

Zherog
2007-08-06, 06:32 AM
I'm assuming he finally tied or broke the record than? Or are you just angry about him in general?

He tied it Saturday. Frankly, he should be banned from baseball - along with all the others who are known to have used steroids (Giambi, Sheffield, McGwire, etc) - and all their stats should be stricken from the record books.

Look, you have your own opinion, and that's well and good, you're entitled to it. But don't go questioning people who do support him.

I think he asked a legitimate question.

rollfrenzy
2007-08-06, 09:42 AM
I dislike Bonds too, but.....
the Pitcher he hit the tying home run off of?

Tested positive for steroids.

Zherog
2007-08-06, 10:04 AM
Ironic, eh?

Gaelbert
2007-08-06, 12:21 PM
I'm not questioning other people's judgement. I honestly want to know. Most of my friends are of the same opinion of me, and the ones who disagree never actually give an argument to why they like Bonds other than liking the Giants and trying to upset me. It works.
They put a asterisk by Maris' record becuase he played more games than Ruth. I'm not saying that was right, but not only is Bonds playing more games, but he also had to cheat to do it. The only nice thing about Bonds breaking the record is that ARod will break it sometime before he (ARod) retires.
Reasons why I hate Bonds (or strongly dislike him)
1. He cheated. He used steroids. Take a picture of when he was a rookie, and set it next to a picture of what he looks like now. If you don't think he used steroids, tell me what fitness plan he used. It'd make millions on in the general public.
2. He's basically a jerk to everyone. I can see to a point being mean to the media, but the fans? They're who are paying your salary. He gets booed at every other stadium besides Pac Bell, and he gets booed there sometimes. Roger Maris had problems with the media, and he mainly ignored them.
3. I'm a Dodger fan. (I have to.) /rant
Edit: Whew, now that I've vented I feel much better. I apologize if anything I said offended someone. It was not intended to.

Chunklets
2007-08-06, 03:22 PM
Mate, we are still fighting off the bleeding lawyers over the whole Teves thing.
I have nothing against Millwall though to be fair, at least they are well read. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwall_brick)

I was actually pleased when West Ham got Tevez last season - it was nice to see a "name" going somewhere other than to the big four (It's hard to imagine that in my living memory, clubs like Forest and Blackburn have won the title). Sad to see the way the situation ended up.

Oh, and Zar Peter? Any opinions on the match yesterday (I don't think I to specify which one! :smallbiggrin: )?

Lucky
2007-08-06, 03:33 PM
I'm not questioning other people's judgement. I honestly want to know.My mistake, to me it read more of a "if you like Bonds, you're stupid" type post.

I am by no means a supporter of Bonds, but nor do I hate him. As someone who falls asleep watching a single inning of baseball, I am quite wholly neutral.

However, from what I understand, he claimed that he did not know he was using steroids, and the League was unable to prove anything to the contrary at the time, or otherwise Bonds would have had some sort of suspension.

I'm sure many fans have taken the stance of "he's innocent until proven guilty," and lets be honest here, there are only a few people out there who know for a proven fact whether he knew or didn't know. Anything after that is speculation.

Trog
2007-08-06, 03:55 PM
Sports fans in the Playground?

Hey you got peanut butter jocks in my chocolate geeks! :smalltongue:

Gaelbert
2007-08-06, 04:14 PM
He did to admit to using a form of steroids. He said he thought it was arthritis cream?!? Honestly, I don't know what to say about that, other than he cheated.
I live in aplace where most people are Giant fans, and you'd be hardpressed to find someone that actually supports Bonds and doesn't believe he used steroids.

Lucky
2007-08-06, 04:16 PM
He did to admit to using a form of steroids. He said he thought it was arthritis cream?!? Honestly, I don't know what to say about that, other than he cheated.Uh... Yeah, exactly my point. Arthritis cream wasn't banned last time I checked.

Gaelbert
2007-08-06, 04:18 PM
1. He said his trainer gave him the steroids and told him it was arthritis cream. I would be shocked if that was true.
2. If your arthritis isn't getting better, but your muscles are doubling in size, wouldn't you suspect something?
That whole story reeks of an excuse to me.

Lucky
2007-08-06, 04:27 PM
Well I'm not arguing that. You asked a question, I answered to the best of my knowledge. Basically, everyone knows the facts, it's just whether or not they believe him.

Personally, I would find it hard to believe that his trainer would give him steroids without him knowing, but it's professional sports. Much stranger things have happened in pro sports.

Gaelbert
2007-08-06, 04:29 PM
I'm not trying to argue, but this is a strong topic for me and sometimes my emotions get the better of me. Anyways, even if he didn't know it was steroids, they still were and he still took them, whether he meant to or not.

Lucky
2007-08-06, 04:34 PM
I'm not trying to argue, but this is a strong topic for me and sometimes my emotions get the better of me. Anyways, even if he didn't know it was steroids, they still were and he still took them, whether he meant to or not.Fair enough, I understand people have their strong topics, I have quite a few of my own.

But I will say that if he actually didn't know he was using steroids, he shouldn't be at fault for his trainer's actions.

Gaelbert
2007-08-06, 08:15 PM
I don't think he should be blamed, if that is the case. But he does deserve to have an asterisk placed next to the record. When Maris brokes Ruth's record after the season was extended 8 games, people screamed bloody murder and put an asterisk there. But my main dislike of Bonds basically boils down to him being a jerk. The only people in baseball that I can say I truly dislike are people like Albert Belle, the guy who beat his wife, the guy who attacked a cameraman, and so on.

Midnight Son
2007-08-06, 08:50 PM
Sports fans in the Playground?

Hey you got peanut butter jocks in my chocolate geeks! :smalltongue:At least we didn't get any geeks in your jocks. :smallbiggrin:

rollfrenzy
2007-08-07, 11:32 AM
But I will say that if he actually didn't know he was using steroids, he shouldn't be at fault for his trainer's actions.

The problem with this is, He is extremely careful to the point of obsession when it comes to training and Health, to the point that he has his own personal trainers and doctors, completely seperate from the team provided ones. because he didn't trust the team doctors. So for me it's hard to believe that somebody that anal about thier health and doctors and things would just smear whatever all over his muscles without knowing what it was and what it did.

I know everybody is as excited as me about how good the Steelers looked against the Saints on sunday. Preseason or not, we kicked ---.

Zherog
2007-08-07, 11:48 AM
The problem with this is, He is extremely careful to the point of obsession when it comes to training and Health, to the point that he has his own personal trainers and doctors, completely seperate from the team provided ones. because he didn't trust the team doctors. So for me it's hard to believe that somebody that anal about thier health and doctors and things would just smear whatever all over his muscles without knowing what it was and what it did.

The other damning thing, in my opinion, is the fact that his personal trainer is currently rotting away in jail. He's been there just about a year. Why is he there, you ask? Contempt of Court - he refuses to answer the grand jury's question about whether Bonds knew he was giving him steroids. Now, why would Gregg Anderson decide to spend over a year in prison (a longer amount of time, I'll add, than what he did for distributing steroids) if Bonds was innocent?

SensFan
2007-08-07, 11:19 PM
Well, it looks like the new HR King is a cheater. Oh well, at least A-Rod looks like he will break Bond's record in 10ish years.

Gaelbert
2007-08-07, 11:33 PM
Well, it looks like the new HR King is a cheater. Oh well, at least A-Rod looks like he will break Bond's record in 10ish years.

I was about to say that, but it looks like you beat me to it. Thank goodness for A-Rod.

SensFan
2007-08-08, 12:30 AM
Yup. A-Rod is going to be the true HR King in the next decae or so. As much as I absolutely hate A-Rod, I will be cheering for him to break Bond's record. Any clean player is preferable to a cheater in my books.

Midnight Son
2007-08-08, 12:35 AM
Yup. A-Rod is going to be the true HR King in the next decae or so. As much as I absolutely hate A-Rod, I will be cheering for him to break Bond's record. Any clean player is preferable to a cheater in my books.As long as he keeps getting them in unimportant games and times, yeah, I got no problem with him getting the record.

Indurain
2007-08-08, 01:03 AM
Just don't say that too loud around Toronto Blue Jay fans. He's Canada's Most Wanted right now...actually has been since May.

I can't find the video, but he shouted at Jay's 3rd Baseman John McDonald during a routine fly, causing McDonald to drop the ball.

McDonald insists he heard someone yell "MINE", while A-Rod insists he simply yelled "HA".

This was actually a huge turning point in the game, which the Jays went on to lose. So now that A-Rod and the Yanks are back up in the Skydome right now...A-Rod's having a tough time! :smallbiggrin: (We cleared the benches today!)

Happytime
2007-08-08, 02:11 AM
Favorite Sports:

Football, Basketball. I lost a bet, so I'm going to watch Hockey now.

Favorite teams:

Green Bay Packers, Cincinnati Bengals (I love GB, but I live in Ohio, so I'd claim the bengals as well), U. of Wisconsin Badgers (Football, Basketball, Hockey), Phoenix Suns, Buffalo Sabres :smallamused:

For reference, American Football is the only football... English Football is soccer, and only soccer :smallbiggrin:

Lucky
2007-08-08, 02:25 AM
For reference, American Football is the only football... English Football is soccer, and only soccer :smallbiggrin:Then what do you call Australian Football?

SensFan
2007-08-08, 06:32 AM
Just don't say that too loud around Toronto Blue Jay fans. He's Canada's Most Wanted right now...actually has been since May.

I can't find the video, but he shouted at Jay's 3rd Baseman John McDonald during a routine fly, causing McDonald to drop the ball.

McDonald insists he heard someone yell "MINE", while A-Rod insists he simply yelled "HA".

This was actually a huge turning point in the game, which the Jays went on to lose. So now that A-Rod and the Yanks are back up in the Skydome right now...A-Rod's having a tough time! :smallbiggrin: (We cleared the benches today!)
Like I said, I absolutely detest A-Rod, a large part of which stems from that episode. That said, I absolutely detest anything and everything to do with the Yankees, so A-Rod is double-hated.

Having said al of that, I would rather have the career HR record go to ANYONE but a cheater.

(On a side note, I found out last night that Towers has alot of class (and guts), and that Clemens has no class)

ALOR
2007-08-08, 07:20 AM

very good point

I know everybody is as excited as me about how good the Steelers looked against the Saints on sunday. Preseason or not, we kicked ---.

not so much actully:smallbiggrin:
i will however be looking forward to my Bengals playing this thursday

Zherog
2007-08-08, 09:04 AM
Like I said, I absolutely detest A-Rod, a large part of which stems from that episode. That said, I absolutely detest anything and everything to do with the Yankees, so A-Rod is double-hated.

*shrug*

Alex Rodriguez can play 3rd base for my team if he wants. I'll happily take the best player in baseball.

and that Clemens has no class)

You just found out? I thought that was old news. :smallwink:

SensFan
2007-08-08, 11:27 AM
Oh, very old news. I wouldn't have expected even him to purposely nail a batter when he was going to be pulled anyways, though.

Gaelbert
2007-08-08, 04:12 PM
I've been changing all of my online names that I can to include an asterisk behind them, and so have my friends. Smart idea, some of y'all out there may want to do that.

BrokenButterfly
2007-08-08, 04:21 PM
The only sport that I enjoy watching on television is boxing. I can't stand how people get so worked up about sports such as football, especially here in the UK. I like watching combat sports, and boxing is the most screened example. My favourite boxers are Amir Khan (I watched all of his Olympic bouts, and I've only missed one of his fights so far) and Ricky Hatton (since he lives around my area, so he's always in the local paper).

In terms of sports that I enjoy playing myself, I really like playing hockey. It's the only sport that I go to school practices for, and the only one where I have a hope of getting on the team. I also really enjoy playing squash for fun, although it really wears me out...Also I'm a big fan of martial arts, and while I've not practiced a discipline for several years, I certainly intend to get back into something in the foreseeable future.

SensFan
2007-08-08, 04:45 PM
I've been changing all of my online names that I can to include an asterisk behind them, and so have my friends. Smart idea, some of y'all out there may want to do that.
To symbolise the asterisk that should be in the record books after Barry's name?

Lucky
2007-08-08, 05:10 PM
I think he just really likes the look of an asterisks. I do.

Look at that sexy thing, ain't it beautiful?

Gaelbert
2007-08-08, 05:16 PM
While the asterisk is most definitely bring sexy back, yes, its for Bonds.

Wolf53226
2007-08-08, 11:15 PM
Favorite Sport to Watch:
Football - The American one, not the one where everyone falls on the ground and plays injured for a minute to try and draw a colored card of some sort.
although I like going to a baseball game, basketball and Hockey as well

Favorite Sport to do:
Golf, only wish I was better at it.

Favorite Teams:
Football - DA BEARS!
Baseball - White Sox
Basketball - Bulls
Hockey - Penguins
I like a number of college teams, so I won't bother listing them.

Hated Teams
Football - Minnesota Vi-Queens {as much as I am supposed to hate the Packers, you have to somewhat admire how devout their fans are, I mean, they sold out their stadium all through the 80's, now that is fanaticism}
Baseball - Cubs {Got to love those cross town rivalries}
Basketball - Knicks, and what ever team Kobe ends up on
Hockey - Blackhawks, but not because of the team but the management that has ruined won of the original teams in the NHL.

As for my take on the Bonds thing...I was meh about him hitting and breaking the record. Baseball has eras, this one is the steroid era, the only reason he draws this much hate is because of his personality and which record he has broken. Look at Sosa, we KNOW with out a shadow of a doubt that he used a corked bat, but he is forgiven and let back into baseball. Sure he says it was only that once, and that it was a batting practice bat, but why would you practice with a light bat, and I've seen him use those bats more than just that time. At this point, all records set in the last 20 years are suspect. Everyone jumps on Bonds and McGuire, but why no look at Ricky Henderson and his stolen bases record, no one questions his record, but he was stealing bases into his 40's. We either forgive or ignore the faults of those players we like/have good personalities, which makes us hypocrites unless we don't see these records for what they are, a different time.

Regardless of the drugs, 756 home runs, what hand eye coordination that takes.

Gaelbert
2007-08-09, 08:26 PM
I thought about the McGuire and Sosa thing. I think part of it is because they aren't as big jerks as Bonds. I think another part is that the record they broke was arguably less important than the one Bonds broke. Sosa never actually broke a record, and McGuire admitted to cheating. Then, his record was broken a few years later. You notice that he wasn't elected to the Hall of Fame? I'd call that punishment. (I think its been 5 years, anyways.)