PDA

View Full Version : Help With Character Concept

ScathachOfSkye
2017-05-14, 10:46 PM
Hello, it is my first time actually posting on these forums, although I have looked through them for more general 5e advice before.

I'm looking for suggestions on a build path for creating Scáthach from Irish Mythology. She is described as being both a warrior and magic user (but not directly called a druid in the myth) so I am thinking of creating a gish type character of some sort, but I am not sure what classes/subclasses would best fit what I want.

What I'm looking for:
- At least decent martial ability, at least proficiency in martial weapons and preferably Extra Attack or something equivalent.
- Some ability to cast spells, probably above half-casting (through multiclass), but not necessarily reaching level 7+ spells known. Although the higher level possible, the better.
- Some ability to use Necromancy/Shadow themed spells
- Decent ability to use Stealth

Almost all core books and UA are allowed, except maybe things like the first draft of Favored Soul.

I was thinking of either trying to be a Sorcadin, Death Cleric, or an EK/Wizard multiclass of some mix, but I am open to any suggestions.

Naanomi
2017-05-14, 10:56 PM
She is much more of a fighter than magic user in myth (arguably among the lowest magic use of any of the classic Irish/Scottish folk heros); renown most for wisdom and her abilities as a teacher of other warriors. She is most associated with the spear/harpoon/polearm type weapon.

With UA on the table, kensai fits the asthetic for me (and makes the spear/javelin reasonable).

If casting really is your vibe, valor Bard feels most like 'teacher of warriors' to me

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-15, 12:49 AM
Sounds like a fiend/pact of the blade warlock to me. I'd probs make her a human starting with the pole arm master feat to lean into that spear thing she has going for her

djreynolds
2017-05-15, 01:10 AM
I think druid is an appropriate choice, and coastal would seem also an appropriate choice

And Naanomi is right, spear all the way.

So why not land druid (coast) and shadow monk

You can focus on dex and wis and con

And I would grab BB/GFB somehow.

Arkhios
2017-05-15, 01:17 AM
If you think your DM is lenient enough, maybe ask if you could swap eldritch knight's spell list from wizard's to druid's, and intelligence to wisdom as your spellcasting ability.

Since intelligence isn't required to be high as an eldritch knight (although it should be reasonably high), I think it would be quite fair to trade it for wisdom instead. Still wouldn't change your required stats in any way except for what's preferable.

ScathachOfSkye
2017-05-15, 03:11 AM
I do like the idea of a monk/druid multiclass.

Shadow Monk provides much of what I am after in itself and the Druid levels fill in the rest.
Using a spear was definitely important to me (I can't believe I forgot to type that one), so monk's ability to use Dex with them helps keep the MADness in using them to a minimum.

The thing that I am trying to decide on now is whether to go Monk7/Druid13 or Monk8/Druid12.
The first one grants 7th level spells whereas the second gives an additional ASI.
I am not sure which of these is overall more important from an optimization standpoint, any advice?

djreynolds
2017-05-15, 03:28 AM
The coastal spells are very good, misty step and mirror image. You may not always be in or near shadow, so misty step will help out if you are low on KI points and want to get of dodge.

Druid spells on very good and are often overlooked due to wild shape and moon druid.

You will have a very good AC

Now eldritch knight and druid could also be a good combo, thorn whip or lighting lure and then stab with a spear could become fun, but that means 7 levels of EK for war magic, which you may not want.

I think druid monk could fill in what you are looking for, and if you can live without a feat/ASI, 7th is a good cutoff as you have evasion and stillness of mind.

But if you are using standard array, it usually takes 4 ASI to max out dex and wisdom... so there is that to consider, so you might end up with only ASI

Is there a 7th level spell you are looking for?

Specter
2017-05-15, 02:13 PM
Nature Cleric seems to fit the bill. Grab Shillelagh for less MADness. Get 3 or 5 Cleric levels, and then go Ranger 5 for Extra Attack and Pass Without Trace. After that, go back to Cleric. Can't go wrong.