PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How to make a dual shield build work?

dragsaw
2017-05-15, 03:13 AM
I'm making a level 5 Lizardfolk using two spiked shields. I am thinking of making him a (bear) barbarian until lv 5 then going fighter to get battle master but im not sure after that.
I am willing to start as figter then go barb. I figured a loss of 1-2 max AC is worth taking for the damage reduction from barbarian as crazy AC and HP are my two main objectives. I do want to max out my STR and DEX as i don't plan on using heavy armor unless it's better to go pure figter . So as of lv 5 my stats will be including the lv 4 ASI

STR - 18
DEX - 16
CON - 20
INT - 12
WIS - 16
CHA - 13
So if im not mistaken i can do that as pure and multi. But get them quicker the more fighter levels i take as well as giving me access to some more feats.

I'm kind of him imagining him as using a mix of "primal instincts" and experience in combat to get the edge over his foes. And that seems to fit a both pretty well.

The DM is letting me stack the AC and have proficiency to attack with shields and they count as light weapons. They are spiked so they do 1d6 damage.

Basically I want to be a high HP and AC wall and try to squeeze what little damage I can into the build. So I guess it boils down to: how can I best become a tanky dual wielder?

Talionis
2017-05-15, 02:36 PM
What about a Kansai Monk? You could have the special weapon the shields and then the shield damage would increase what about a Kansai Monk? You could have the special weapon the shields and then the shield damage would increase by month with Monk level.

Citan
2017-05-15, 05:57 PM
Yes the DM is letting the AC stack and im sold on this idea.

Im playing as a lizardfolk, and currently leaning to a barbarian-fighter multi build using spiked (1d6) shields. Im leaning to battle master for some maneuvers like menacing and goading attack.
I asked the DM who said dueling will not work for me, so im thinking of using TWF to try to help get a bit of damage back.
As a character im thinking he fights as a mix between a wild animal and a battle hardened veteran using a style that no one else has yet to master, with a little bit of showmanship from his past as a slave gladiator. So a barb-fighter mix seem well to work. I guess i could go Totem OFA paladin under the great crocodile spirit or something.

I wanted to focus on him as a character and not a block of stats but im a bit stuck.
The DM is letting us start with one feat and are lv 5, and i using a ASI to boost my stats which are.

STR - 18 (ASI)
DEX - 16
Con - 20 (ASI)
INT - 12
WIS - 16
CHA - 13

And i plan to max out STR and DEX. Sadly this likely means i will have to pick between one of 3 feats, Tough, Sentinel and Dual wielding (so i can upgrade to spiked metal)
The party is as follows Barb (wolf) Pally (heal/damage) Bard (support)
As have a dragonborn in the party i want to play up the more primal and monstrous factors of the lizardfolk

But basically i want to be a super high HP and AC wall that can hopefully squeeze what little damage out of the shields.
Hi!

If you want "dual shield" to work as a reliable way of attack, it's "easy enough" you just have to combine Tavern Brawler (so that you become proficient with improvised weapons -which shields are-) and Dual Wielder (so you can wield non-light weapons in both hands -which shields will probably be unless the DM waive this).

Apart from that, you don't really need much. Although a levels in other classes may bring more to you (but probably caster class which may be contrary to your concept).

Anyways, I don't think there is any real problem to your build, apart from the fact you want to maximize STR, DEX and still take other feats. ;)

Have fun!

dragsaw
2017-05-15, 06:37 PM
Yeah Kensei monk could work. I have no idea how to build a barbarian battle master like barb 5 fighter 15? Or 3/18 both ways?
Like champion can also work well i guess? And i totally forgot to mention that free feat the dm is letting us had im using on Shield master, i checked and that gives me prof in spiked shields as well as some like the 1d6 i start with being counted as light.

Laserlight
2017-05-15, 09:05 PM
Yeah Kensei monk could work. I have no idea how to build a barbarian battle master like barb 5 fighter 15? Or 3/18 both ways?
Like champion can also work well i guess? And i totally forgot to mention that free feat the dm is letting us had im using on Shield master, i checked and that gives me prof in spiked shields as well as some like the 1d6 i start with being counted as light.

For a Barb/Fighter or Fighter/Barb, you probably want a 4/16 split so you don't get Multi Attack from both classes.

dragsaw
2017-05-15, 09:11 PM
That is a good point but by doing so i will be delaying getting multi attack, and 5 in barb gives me a movement speed buff. unless i multi into barb later.

Mongobear
2017-05-15, 09:18 PM
I want to say combining this with the Shield Master Feat, Protection Fighting Style, and anything else that specifically requires a shield.

Also, if you go for Protection FS, you should try and swing it so that you can make 2 Reactions a turn, specifically, one with each Shield to protect your friends. Maybe go BM Fighter and take the more supportive maneuvers, Rally, Commander's Strike, Maneuvering Strike, Trip Attack, etc.

dragsaw
2017-05-15, 09:24 PM
I just checked with the dm, only one reaction.

Laserlight
2017-05-16, 09:27 AM
That is a good point but by doing so i will be delaying getting multi attack, and 5 in barb gives me a movement speed buff. unless i multi into barb later.

You wouldn't do it as 4/16, of course. You'd do something like 1/5, then fill it out to 4/5, and go on from there.

the_brazenburn
2017-05-16, 09:43 AM
Use spiked shields. Deals more damage and, if they're light, you can use one without invoking an AC penalty.

Ruebin Rybnik
2017-05-16, 09:56 AM
I just checked with the dm, only one reaction.

If you go high enough in fighter take Champion so you get 2 fighting styles Protection for shielding allies, and Tunnel Fighter for more Reactions.

DivisibleByZero
2017-05-16, 10:02 AM
Kensai Monk is a terrible suggestion.
First of all, a Kensai weapon has to be a weapon, which a shield is not. Secondly, many monk features, including the AC you so badly want, don't work when you have a shield.

N810
2017-05-16, 10:42 AM
Wonder if this would work with battle rager, for even more spikes ?

clash
2017-05-16, 01:15 PM
What is the benefit of having 2 shields? right under the shield description: "You can benefit from only one shield at a time." or is your dm waiving this?

RickAllison
2017-05-16, 01:50 PM
What is the benefit of having 2 shields? right under the shield description: "You can benefit from only one shield at a time." or is your dm waiving this?

Thematic? As I understand it, the build is basically just having a shield and then effectively using the two shields as dual-wielded improvised weapons.

I would honestly pick up Eldritch Knight for this and bond your two "weapons" as the shields. Occasionally throw out the shields as thrown weapons, be Captain Lizard-America.

Vaz
2017-05-16, 03:30 PM
If you go high enough in fighter take Champion so you get 2 fighting styles Protection for shielding allies, and Tunnel Fighter for more Reactions.

You gain more reaction options, not more actual reactions however.

JackOfAllBuilds
2017-05-16, 03:57 PM
True polymorph: Dreadnaught Fire Giant?

dragsaw
2017-05-16, 06:44 PM

Hey sorry i edited the main post and deleted it by mistake!. Yeah they are stacking