PDA

View Full Version : Earth Attacks!

WhatThePhysics
2017-05-15, 05:48 AM
Removed by author.

Vizzerdrix
2017-05-15, 07:09 AM
This reminds me of the anime Gate.

With a population that large already established, you wont be getting rid of them without some cheese. Maybe informing them that your plane doesnt take kindly to being invaded first, then sick a (tightly controled) wightpocolypse on them, followed with shoving the wights through the gate and sealing it under layers of everything you can get your hands on.

Fizban
2017-05-15, 08:51 AM
Cast Divination/Commune, ask if this is a bad thing.

Inevitability
2017-05-15, 09:26 AM
Why is Earth sending through so many people? Are there any resources they're looking for (which would make sense: D&D worlds tend to have ridiculous amounts of gold), or are they fleeing pollution/overpopulation?

Calthropstu
2017-05-15, 10:00 AM
I agree with commune and divinations.

If it seems like something that needs to be stopped, I go into the city invisible and begin spamming cause disease, dominate people into destroying things, poison their food supplies and use other ways of mass slaughter.

If it seems a good thing, I initiate dialog. I announce myself at their gate, send delegates initiate trade etc.

ATHATH
2017-05-15, 10:39 AM
Start trading and stuff. Make friends with these new "invaders".

flappeercraft
2017-05-15, 10:59 AM
Start diplomacy and trading and getting access to the new technology they have. Learn the secrets of their technology, capture their engineers and architects and finally start the wightapocalypse in their colony which will be flooded with holy water after all humans are dead.

Inevitability
2017-05-15, 11:54 AM
Start diplomacy and trading and getting access to the new technology they have. Learn the secrets of their technology, capture their engineers and architects and finally start the wightapocalypse in their colony which will be flooded with holy water after all humans are dead.

That's only practical at tippyverse-level magic, and even then it's kind of tricky. To kill a million wights, you need millions of holy water vials. Creating that without self-resetting traps is all but impossible.

Instead, why not just LSB the humans off their island?

Gildedragon
2017-05-15, 12:26 PM
High enough Bluff to convince Earth to sign a treaty.

Get on TV or Internet; convince people that the plan is misguided.

A Naberius Binder or Changeling Rogue can Diplomancy the masses to be fanatical with a rushed six second speech and push humanity to fanatically protest the expansion.

Six seconds. Use gold or better yet "remove disease" / "heal" / "commune with dead" as bribery to get A TON of airtime/add time. Six seconds during the superbowl or Eurovision or any big mass media event.

Voila!

A Catfolk or Tibbit can just force humanity to bring them all their treasures with Handle Humanoid

Karl Aegis
2017-05-15, 02:29 PM
I send an anonymous letter to an Elder Brain and have it decide what to do here. Then I take a shot and draw a pencil mustache on a dwarf because I'm ECL 10 and he isn't.

Inevitability
2017-05-15, 02:42 PM
I send an anonymous letter to an Elder Brain and have it decide what to do here.

Do you want an army of psionically-controlled, heavily-armed, conquest-bent humans? Because this is how you get one.

Braininthejar2
2017-05-15, 03:22 PM
So, we are facing a foreign conquerors scenario.

Use the little magic I have to infiltrate their base before they develop countermeasures. Create a single wight on the other side of the gate.

Arbane
2017-05-15, 06:37 PM
So, we are facing a foreign conquerors scenario.

Use the little magic I have to infiltrate their base before they develop countermeasures. Create a single wight on the other side of the gate.

Shadow, not wight. It's completely unstoppable without magic.

....Any ideas that DON'T involve genocide? (Send a Demon Overlord, his two vassals, and a horde of exploding ninja penguins to invade, maybe.)

Braininthejar2
2017-05-15, 06:46 PM
Yes, shadows are totally unstoppable, and that's a bad thing if I can't seal the portal on my end. I want to cut them from support on their side (and possibly cause their neighbours to ban dimensional travel for fear of what else might appear) not wipe both worlds. I've read the Black Company.

Calthropstu
2017-05-15, 08:06 PM
Shadow, not wight. It's completely unstoppable without magic.

....Any ideas that DON'T involve genocide? (Send a Demon Overlord, his two vassals, and a horde of exploding ninja penguins to invade, maybe.)

Not so. Fairly certain that a nuclear blast would affect a shadow. I also think electricity, liquid nitrogen, refined acid and napalm would suffice as magical substitutes. A supersonic rail gun or high powered rifle may also do the trick.

Fizban
2017-05-15, 08:17 PM
Unless d20 modern counts them as magical, no, they won't.

Calthropstu
2017-05-15, 09:36 PM
Unless d20 modern counts them as magical, no, they won't.

I am going to have to say screw the rules at that point. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. So tech can stop a shadow as well as magic I would say. This would result in a merging of the two systems... two distinctly separate systems.
The reason damage in d20 modern isn't listed as being able to affect as magic is because such isn't meant to be an issue... the two are separate systems.
Mix the systems and you will get different things that simply don't match up and would need to be accounted for... shadows being one of them.
It would ultimately be "dm call" but if this were reality, that would be my first go to attempts.
The thought that a single shadow could eliminate entire planets with impunity is moderately preposterous... someone somewhere would figure something out.

Cruiser1
2017-05-15, 09:57 PM
Humans from modern day Earth have been coming through, and built a military base, resource extraction network, and small city. Their current population is 1 million, and attempts to explore your world have been limited to local, high altitude drones.Why have so many modern technology humans not been able to explore more of the planet? It seems like one of the first things we'd do is build an airport (bringing pre-fabricated planes through the portal if we can't make them locally) and fly long range jets in all directions to map more of (if not the entire) planet. Or at least use motorboats. It also wouldn't be hard to launch rockets (even simple Sputnik-level ones) to start a satellite presence and get data from orbit.

Inevitability
2017-05-16, 12:36 AM
Why have so many modern technology humans not been able to explore more of the planet? It seems like one of the first things we'd do is build an airport (bringing pre-fabricated planes through the portal if we can't make them locally) and fly long range jets in all directions to map more of (if not the entire) planet. Or at least use motorboats. It also wouldn't be hard to launch rockets (even simple Sputnik-level ones) to start a satellite presence and get data from orbit.

The nation that got through isn't necessarily technologically advanced: what you are describing wouldn't be possible for most countries in the world.

Florian
2017-05-16, 05:08 AM
Tough to answer. The "earth" invaders are mostly martials with equipment that functions way above the usual medieval standard fare.

OTOH, "earth tech" is blocked by some very simple spells.

The end result might be "Rise of Ultron", with Agents of Hydra trying to stop the Avengers.

Yahzi
2017-05-16, 05:54 AM
Since I am always a Cleric, the first thing I do is go over and start converting them. :smallsmile: