PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Ranger spell list

xkroku
2017-05-15, 06:48 AM
Hello there fellow Playgrounders
I will be playing a Mystic Ranger in a short time. I like to havr everything nicely organised, so I have listed (i think) every spell from (i think) every source.
And something hit me. You get about a 100 1st level spells, but only a mere 6 5th level spells. Well, after adding Hallowed and Corrupt spells, and Sandstorm/Frostburn summon spell, you get about 15.
So, what can we do to widen this very narrow list? I tried searching for something online, but didn't find anything.
Got any ideas?

Lazymancer
2017-05-15, 07:03 AM
Join the dark side Take Sword of the Arcane Order (CoV).

weckar
2017-05-15, 07:03 AM
Metamagic applied to lower level spells widens that list adequately.

xkroku
2017-05-15, 08:49 AM
I think I didn't make clear what I speciffically wanted. I want to add spells directly to his spell list (DM is my close friend, he agrees that he should have at least a few more).
I do not want to cast Wiz/Sorc spells (altough thanks for suggestion @Lazymancer).
I'd like to know what spells COULD BE for ranger if he had access to 5th level spells. Are there any criteria? An easy way to pick the spells to add? Maybe the 5th level Nature/Earth/Animal/etc. Domain spells?

The metamagic idea is good too, thanks!

Lazymancer
2017-05-15, 02:31 PM
Well, yes. Grabbing Domains would be the next best thing.

Go Divine Oracle, get Oracle Domain. This adds domain spells to your spell list. Then go Sovereign Speaker (IIRC getting domain via Divine Oracle qualifies as "having clerical domain") and get domain every level.

DEMON
2017-05-15, 02:39 PM
Well, yes. Grabbing Domains would be the next best thing.

Go Divine Oracle, get Oracle Domain. This adds domain spells to your spell list. Then go Sovereign Speaker (IIRC getting domain via Divine Oracle qualifies as "having clerical domain") and get domain every level.

If I understand this correctly, the OP wants to add spells to the Mystic Ranger list, not find a way to expand his spell list with classes/feats/whthaveyou.

And as such he's asking for suggestions on what spells would fit thematically, to be added to (Mystic) Ranger's spell list, mostly as 0th and 5th level spells.

IIRC, the original list consists of core spells only, so some Druid spells from Spell Compendium are likely the best fit.

xkroku
2017-05-15, 03:53 PM
If I understand this correctly, the OP wants to add spells to the Mystic Ranger list, not find a way to expand his spell list with classes/feats/whthaveyou.

And as such he's asking for suggestions on what spells would fit thematically, to be added to (Mystic) Ranger's spell list, mostly as 0th and 5th level spells.

That is exactly what I meant!

Lazymancer
2017-05-15, 05:07 PM
Ack. Sorry for misunderstanding. This is more of a homebrew question, then.

Well, barring Summon Desert's Ally V and Conjure Ice Beast V, a dozen 5th-level spells for Ranger, then.

1) Bite of ..." series from SpC. Bite of Werewolf/Wererat could be added as a swift action to 5th level, imo.
2) Break Enchantment
3) Dire Hunger
4) Dragonsight
5) Energy Immunity
6) Hibernate
7) Mantle of the Icy Soul
8) Owl's Insight
9) Panacea
10) Phantom Stag
11) Sheltered Vitality
12) Silence (without Verbal component; yes, as 5th-level spell - you can even make it 1h/L (d) )

In theory, Delay Death could also be appropriate.

Dagroth
2017-05-16, 02:49 PM
What spells from the Spell Compendium should be added to the Duskblade spell list (without needing "advanced learning")?

Yeah, there just isn't a lot of support. I'd suggest mainly looking at Level 4 Druid spells.

DarkSoul
2017-05-16, 07:45 PM
I added these to my Mystic Ranger player's spell list:

Blood Creepers PHB 2: 104
Cloak of the Sea SC: 48
Quill Blast SC: 164
Wind Tunnel SC: 239

Oh, I also replaced the Magic Fang spells with Magic Weapon, since the mystic ranger gives up their animal companion.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-16, 08:06 PM

IIRC, the original list consists of core spells only, so some Druid spells from Spell Compendium are likely the best fit.
Makes sense. I'd suggest, at a quick glance...

Cloak of the Sea
Echo Skull
Fireward
Heal Animal Companion
Plant Body
Poison Thorns
Rejuvenation Cocoon
Swamp Stride
Wind Tunnel

Sticking with more general personal buff type spells, rather than large-scale environmental manipulation or direct attacks.

xkroku
2017-05-17, 04:27 PM
Thank you all guys, I'd be very happy to add them to my list :smallbiggrin: