PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect: The Heralds of Civilization [IC 2]

Hazuki
2017-05-15, 07:05 AM
Super Dragon claps his hands together. "Thank you, and I quite agree! Although I'm afraid Fairlight might be stealing my thunder!" He chuckles. "If only I'd thought to bring a few extra million credits."

Comissar
2017-05-15, 04:52 PM
Vatia's mandibles twitch in amusement, "Well, they do say hindsight is twenty twenty, you'll just have to make sure to cash out your fortune next time you set out to repair relationships between Turians and Humans."

Hazuki
2017-05-16, 08:34 AM
"I'm afraid I'd need to find a part-time job, if it's millions of credits. I've been considering cage dancing." Super Dragon says. "That offers great prospects int he hierarchy, does it not?"

Comissar
2017-05-16, 01:37 PM
Vatia tries to stifle her laughter at the mental image Super Dragon conjures. Shaking her head, she replies "You know, I think it's an 'always open' recruitment policy. You should look into it."

Hazuki
2017-05-17, 01:42 PM
Vatia

"I'll endeavor to add it to my to-do list." Super Dragon chuckles. "Well, this has been rather pleasant! Are you planning on returning to the colony soon, or do you, perhaps, have time to spare?"

~

...And The Rest

Eventually, the Heralds arrive at one of the harvesting destinations Vaenia picked and head down to a soft landing. After going through their synchronized safety checks, the doors of the shuttle slide open to reveal a lush landscape of tall, red grass and towering trees whose wide canopies shield thick rugs of wildflowers. No fauna is immediately visible, but there seems to be plenty of field and a denser collection of trees to the North. Hills stretch out to the South, and thick, sloping rocks to the East.

Comissar
2017-05-18, 08:14 AM
Vatia makes an exaggerated show of considering the question, "Well, I hadn't arranged for too much time away from my duties, but..." She trails off, a faint frown on her face, "... I could probably arrange to have a little longer away from the ship, if you had something in mind, that is..?" She finishes her question with a tilt of her head toward her fellow Turian.

Rhaegar14
2017-05-19, 02:45 AM
Shandrya is the first to step out of the shuttle, ready to confront any hostile wildlife. She takes a deep breath of the fresh air, scanning the environment. Even she has to admit to the sense of serenity drifting on the breeze. She is disappointed -- though not surprised -- to find no slavering predators immediately trying to make a meal of them. "So, 'Commander,' what exactly are we looking for out here?" the asari asks, looking over her shoulder at Kanri.

Ramsus
2017-05-19, 04:15 AM
Kanri steps out and opens her mouth to answer the question and realizes she isn't exactly sure. So she pulls up the information from Vaenia on her omni-tool and just reads it out loud.

Ramsus
2017-05-19, 12:39 PM
Somewhat surprised to just be reading out "Flora and fauna samples." Kanri pauses for a moment and says, "Well I guess just about anything is ok. We probably don't want to grab everything on the planet, so maybe we should just stick to things that look interesting? So does anyone care which direction we head. I think I'll veto West for now. It looks easily forgotten about."

Hazuki
2017-05-21, 07:16 AM
Vatia

"Oh, it's nothing at all, really." Super Dragon chuckles. "I just realized that I know terribly little about you."

Comissar
2017-05-22, 05:39 AM
Vatia's mandibles twitch as she looks forward across the lake. "Well... I'm sorry to disappoint, but there's not much to tell." She shrugs, "I completed basic without any issue, stuck with the military a few years longer before deciding I wanted a change, drifted between a few different jobs and ended up here."

James_Beckett
2017-05-22, 12:51 PM
"Well, it's good to see we have such a crystal clear itinerary to follow," Lucinia chirps sarcastically as she trails behind the others. Walking up behind Shandrya, Lucinia pats the asari playfully on the shoulder. "Don't look so disappointed. What were you hoping we'd find, a band of feral yahg or something? I'm good at fixing up busted asari, but I'm not that good."

Lucinia takes a moment to observe the scenery, and even she can't help but admit to herself that their landfall was a bit anticlimactic, given how much she had been hyping herself up for it. It was admittedly peaceful, which was usually exactly what she looked for in an op. Still, she was hoping her first adventure with a crew in spirits knew how long would be a bit more interesting than an aimless nature hike.

"Seriously, though, Kanri," Lucinia continued, "Don't we have just a bit more info to work from? Planetside scans, local fauna reports, anything like that? Or are we really just picking a direction and hoofing it? Because if so, I vote east. East is a pretty trustworthy direction."

Ramsus
2017-05-22, 04:25 PM
Kanri shrugs and says, "That's what I've got. If I was supposed to be the one doing the actual planning for this mission nobody told me. I thought Vaenia would have handled that stuff... or gotten someone else to do it. I guess this is why you don't put the new guy in charge of missions. Too late now though, you both agreed to it. So if I get us lost or we never come back at all, you only have yourselves to blame." Kanri laughs and heads East with the winds. Maybe. It's not like should could feel which way the wind was blowing and she's not really interested enough to check.

Rhaegar14
2017-05-23, 12:28 AM
Shandrya crosses her arms as Kanri starts to walk away. "Now, hold on. If we're looking for nondescript flora and fauna samples, aren't we more likely to find plants and animals in the forest than in a bunch of rocks?" she asks, motioning to the North with her head. Of course, she does not say that they're more likely to encounter hostile lifeforms that need killing in the woods, but she certainly thinks it.

Ramsus
2017-05-23, 12:57 AM
"Probably, yeah." Kanri replies, continuing to walk East.

Rhaegar14
2017-05-23, 01:04 AM
Shandrya tilts her head. "Then... why are you still walking the wrong way?" she asks, confused and just a touch annoyed.

Ramsus
2017-05-23, 04:06 AM
"Because we won't know it was the wrong way until we've traveled it." Kanri answers, philosophically.

Then totally ruins it by adding, "But mostly because the doc answered first."

Hazuki
2017-05-23, 12:16 PM
Vatia

"Tell me more!" Super Dragon spreads his arms wide, as though to hug the oncoming information.

~

And the rest.

Kanri is aware of reports on local fauna from Angel Valley, although whether they'll be useful this far from the valley is up for discussion. The planet scans have mostly been for minerals and similar, rather than for lifeforms.

The Heralds lean against the shuttle and watch as the group moseys away.

James_Beckett
2017-05-23, 10:01 PM
"Don't feel too bad", Lucinia says to Shandyra as she jogs past, following Kanri eastward. "When we find something fun to shoot going MY way, I'll make sure to give you the first shot. Cause I won, and all. " She turns back and winks playfully at the asari.

As the group heads east, Lucinia can't help but notice the bothersome silence filling the air. Nobody speaks, and the only thing to listen to is the sound of the wind and the nature around them.

Ugh.

"I'm sorry guys, but this journey of ours is missing a soundtrack. What's your preference? I have fifty thousand tracks loaded on to my omni tool and nearly five hundred playlists, suitable for any occasion. Consider me this mission's personal DJ."

Ramsus
2017-05-23, 11:41 PM
"Uh..... I can think of several reasons why we shouldn't do that.... but I know at least two of us are fairly durable and we're not really in any rush and there's nobody really watching to tell us to do it 'the right way' so..... Well given we probably at least want to hear any animals that are at least within five feet of us, probably nothing Krogan. Sorry buddy." Kanri replies, aiming the last part at Shandrya.

Comissar
2017-05-24, 06:24 AM
Vatia shakes her head with a chuckle, "I'm sorry, you're going to have to give me an easier question than that. Are you looking to know where I grew up? Where I served? Why I left?" Her mandibles twitch, "All of the above?"

Hazuki
2017-05-24, 07:09 AM
Vatia

"What were you trained for, in particular?" Super Dragon asks. "Me, I was trained for diplomacy."

Rhaegar14
2017-05-25, 02:14 AM
Shandrya grumbles and falls in line behind the two almost silently, vowing to make sure she shoots only AFTER this imaginary predator bites a chunk out of the good doctor.

The asari stares incredulously at Lucinia as she starts going on about music, then erupts with a belly laugh. "Have you ever hunted a day in your life, Lucinia?" Shandrya asks sarcastically, tilting her head inquisitively at the turian.

Comissar
2017-05-26, 06:17 AM
"Reconnaissance. I'd monitor channels for comms chatter, use that to calculate positions and feed intel to strike teams." Her mandibles twitch in amusement, "Lots of math, lots of desk work, wasn't sorry to leave it behind."

Hazuki
2017-05-26, 11:21 AM
Vatia

Super Dragon nods understandingly. "And how does that help with your Fairlight work?"

Comissar
2017-05-27, 06:06 AM
Vatia chuckles, "It means I'm very good at monitoring comms traffic to and from the ship. Biggest difference is I'm not organising tactical strikes so much as I'm organising data usage." She shrugs, "But this way I get more freedom to pick and choose where I end up than I did under the Hierarchy."

James_Beckett
2017-05-27, 07:00 PM
"What, you mean this kind of hunting? The 'Grand trek through the wilderness,
nothing but a rifle and a pack of food standing between you and the wild apathy of nature' kind of adventure? No, that was never really my family's style. We were more of an inside family. Reading,
puzzles, working out historic military simulations and competing in virtual war games. That sort of thing."

Lucinia fidgets with her omni-tool, searching for a decent set of hiking music that wouldn't immediately drown out the sounds of the local fauna. She settles on the most recent cut from Haxan Claw, a turian-human duo that worked in classical Earth ambient, with a dash of new school turian orchestration thrown in for good measure. The soft, droning hum of the strings rises up in her communicator, the ghost of turian drums echoing faintly enough in the background to give the music an appropriate amount of edge. She broadcasts the music to her companions comms, though doesn't know if they're actually paying any attention to it.

"That doesn't meant I've never been hunting before, though," Lucinia continues as they walk. "My life's taken me to some pretty strange places over the years, believe me. I'm no krogan, but I'm sure I won't be completely useless when it comes to tracking down something that needs killing."

Hazuki
2017-05-29, 10:38 AM
Vatia

"Ah, a wandering spirit, are we?" Super Dragon beams at Vatia. "It's a fine one to be, if so."

Rhaegar14
2017-05-30, 12:02 AM
Shandrya turns off her communicator to shut off the music, then steps close to Lucinia. "I figured as much. Since, y'know, if you'd been hunting a lot, you'd know that prey is spooked by strange or loud noises, like, I don't know, music," she explains, glaring at the turian. "I can hear it coming from you at about two feet, and I'm sure I don't have the most sensitive ears on this planet," she adds.

Ramsus
2017-05-30, 01:01 AM
Kanri shrugs and says, "Sounds like a non-Quarian problem." as she listens to the music which is in fact not audible from outside of her suit unless she wishes it to be (or you've actually got your ears pressed up onto it).

James_Beckett
2017-05-30, 10:54 PM
"All I'm doing is making sure that whatever we come into contact with has excellent taste in music. Anything that runs from
this lovely score doesn't deserve to be catalogued, as far as I'm concerned."

Lucinia continues following along just behind the other two. Though she'd be lying if she said that this kind of adventure was necessarily her thing, per se, she still continues to keep an eye out for any life forms that might be scuttling about.

"So if good music isn't your thing, Shandyra, what do you do when you're out on a nature-walk-slash-murder-party? You just sit around and listen to the wind?"

Comissar
2017-05-31, 07:00 AM
Vatia shrugs, "In my experience, most people who choose to leave their homeworlds are. It's a big galaxy, there's lots to see."

Hazuki
2017-06-02, 10:34 AM
Vatia

"I quite agree! One's never at a lost for fine sights and sounds out on the frontier." Super Dragon agrees. "Would that I could share some, but all I could tell you is what you've already seen." He gestures over the lake. "Perhaps you've had better luck?"

Comissar
2017-06-03, 06:38 AM
Vatia's mandibles twitch as she leans back a bit, considering what to say. After a few moments, she breaks the quiet "Well... It's not the frontier, and it probably sounds a bit trite, but I still remember the first time I saw the Citadel in person. All the vids and pictures of it don't really prepare you for the reality." She chuckles softly, shaking her head, "I wasn't much more than a kid, but I felt so humbled by the scale of it. Thought that everyone living there must feel so lucky." She shrugs, "Then of course I landed and met some of them, turns out people are people wherever you go."

Hazuki
2017-06-06, 10:11 AM
The Harvesters

Having set off into the rocky fields and managing to enjoy a relatively pleasant conversation about music, it almost seems like they're not going to find anything for weeks! Their foolish, foolish optimism is soon punished by the sound of a screech that could pierce a Volus' environmental seals. A quick glance around reveals a small, slender creature perched on the edge of a tall rock. They barely have time to admire its large purple sales, before the gaping, feather-lined hole that seems to be its mouth lets out another screech.

Vatia

"Well, that's a good lesson for anybody to learn! At least you got to learn it with good scenery." Super Dragon chuckles. "The Citadel is a marvel - truly - though those Keepers, curious little creatures, aren't they? I almost feel a fool for greeting them, but, then, anything else seems rude, don't you think?"

Ramsus
2017-06-06, 01:00 PM
"Uh..... there's a creature I guess. Though.... I just considered what it'd be like to carry it around with us and the entire flight back and.... maybe we skip it? Unless someone has something they think will keep it quiet?" Kanri says with some annoyance that this is their first find.

Comissar
2017-06-07, 06:54 AM
Vatia gives a one shouldered shrug, "They're strange things, to be sure. I have to wonder what made the Protheans create them, but I guess it's easier to have something biological be self-maintaining than something mechanical..?" She shrugs again, "Maybe I'll ask an engineer some time, they might have a better idea." Looking back to her fellow Turian, she asked "Did you spend much time on the Citadel? It sounds like you had a lot of opportunities to interact with Keepers."

Hazuki
2017-06-08, 05:42 AM
"Oh, not terribly long. Perhaps a year or so." Super Dragon folds his hands together. "Much of that time was spent preparing for the trip out here! Not much time for the nightlife, I'm afraid!" He chuckles.

Rhaegar14
2017-06-09, 12:52 AM
Shandrya laughs at the quarian's hesitation. "I have a couple; biotics, bullets, a sword. We're out collecting samples, greenhorn. Dead tissue is still tissue," the asari explains as she steps toward the creature. At first, she reaches out a hand, then reconsiders, reaching for her gun, before reconsidering AGAIN and reaching for her sword. So many options, so few targets. "One of you science-y types wanna tell me which would be preferred?" she asks.

Comissar
2017-06-09, 06:13 AM
"Even so, you must have some stories to share?" Vatia tilts her head, "You don't spend a year living somewhere without anything interesting happening."

Hazuki
2017-06-11, 12:59 PM
"Oh, I met quite some characters!" Super Dragon shakes his head as he chuckles. "Of course, my apartment was quite well-furnished, so I had no complaints there. C-Sec does an admirable job in maintaining order. I was once accosted by a Quarian who'd drunk a few too many drinks, and happened to have quite a fondness for Fleet and Flotilla. Of course, I was flattered, until it turned out she just wanted to ask me if I had a sister!"

James_Beckett
2017-06-12, 04:13 PM
"Now hold on just a minute," Lucinia says, edging her hand slowly to the pistol holstered at her side. "We might not have to have to kill it.
We're the strangers here, after all. Maybe we can just play nice and calm, and it won't try to maul us." She eyes the creature warily, knowing even as she sepaks that they will probably have to fight the damned beast.

"If you must take the brutish route, though", she whispers to the asari, sounding a bit more nervous than she means to, "I suggest something of a particularly large caliber. Even better if its explosive."

Ramsus
2017-06-12, 09:58 PM
Kanri looks at Lucinia and the small creature then back to Lucinia then back to the small creature. After a pause she says, "If we use any kind of explosive, there won't be anything left to collect." She feels very weird being the "reasonable" person in a group.

Comissar
2017-06-14, 07:01 AM
Vatia's mandibles twitched in amusement, "And I suppose there were no lucky ladies nearby for you to play wingman for?" She shakes her head, briefly checking her omni-tool, then looking back up, "I should probably head back soon, though it has been fun to just unwind a bit."

Hazuki
2017-06-16, 04:03 PM
"Ah, so soon? A shame!" Super Dragon replies, as he shifts to a fully standing position. "And, likewise. I should quite like to discuss things with you in the future, and that extends to all of the merry mercenaries of Fairlight!"

Comissar
2017-06-19, 04:39 AM
Vatia nods her agreement, "I'll be sure to let you know when I'm free in future. For now, though..." She stands, offering a handshake to Super Dragon.

Rhaegar14
2017-06-23, 01:34 AM
Shandrya scoffs at the turian. "Large caliber? It's not even the size of a varren," she says incredulously as she unshoulders her rifle. She sighs as she aims down the sight. "One clean shot ought to do it. Then we have our sample and can be on our way," she explains as she aims for where she guesses the creature's brain is.

Hazuki
2017-06-27, 07:55 PM
Super Dragon shakes Vatia's hand. "Have a pleasant day." He says, then starts to stroll down the opposite side of the lake.

Comissar
2017-06-28, 12:35 PM
Vatia watches Super Dragon leave for a few moments, before bringing up her omni-tool to contact Ver0nica. "Starting to head back, see you soon."

Message sent, she made her way back toward the shuttle, keeping half an eye on her wrist in case she was contacted en route.

James_Beckett
2017-06-28, 08:45 PM
"I've seen enough to know that size hardly matters when it comes to alien biology," Lucinia whispers, watching carefully as Shandrya takesk aim. "I once saw a worm the size of my smallest talon burrown into a krogan's skull in under three seconds. The poor bastard ended up literally eating an incendiary grenade. I'm just saying,
we should at least be capable of blowing it up if need be. If not, though..."

Lucinia looks to her companions, Kanri especially, dispalying her lone and ineffectual looking pistol. "Do we have a plan for actually, you know, doing some analysis on this guy? All of the tranquilizer I have is in gel form, and my omni-tool is going to be useless for in-depth bioscans unless we can knock this sucker out and get up close an personal. Unless you want to do a post-mortem biopsy, which won't give us as much useful information regarding the beahvior of the fauna. It's your call, either way."

Ramsus
2017-06-28, 11:48 PM
"Well I do have this fancy new science oriented omni-tool.... but mostly I was planning on bringing things back for Vaenia to handle so I can learn how to do some of this stuff from her. And what we're actually looking for. But Miss Shoot Everything wants to shoot everything so... it seems like autopsies are going to be the thing. Unless you can convince her not to shoot every animal and plant we encounter?" Kanri replies.

Hazuki
2017-06-29, 10:31 AM
Vatia

Unsurprisingly, Vatia encounters little resistance on her way back to Angel Valley and, ultimately, the Sparrow. Not violent resistance, anyway, because Ver0nica does rejoin her partway through her walk.

"If I wanted to chaperone dates, I'd have kids." The scarred woman offers as greeting.

~

And The Rest

Throughout their argument, the small creature has continued screeching. And another two similar creatures have mounted up high places on nearby rocks, joining in with the horrible, horrible sound.

Ramsus
2017-06-29, 12:39 PM
"On second thought. Please shoot one." Kanri says. She could forgive one individual creature it's annoying trait. But your species making a point of it? Just not having that.

Comissar
2017-06-29, 03:18 PM
Vatia's mandibles twitch in amusement at Ver0nica's jab. "People tend to open up more if they see you as friendly, or worth getting to know. If he needs to think I'm interested in him for me to be sure about his safety, then so be it." She gives the human woman a sidelong glance, her tone staying amicable, perhaps even playful "You should give it a try some time, you never know, you might get someone to warm to you."

Hazuki
2017-06-30, 03:33 PM
Vatia

"Nah." Ver0nica says. "Did you learn anything good?"

Comissar
2017-07-01, 07:04 AM
Vatia shrugs, "Enough to make me think he's not a danger. A few shady acts, perhaps, but with good intentions behind them." She shrugs again, "From the lack of comms, I'm guessing it was nice and quiet for you?"

Hazuki
2017-07-03, 06:53 PM
Ver0nica nods. "You might even call it boring."

Comissar
2017-07-04, 08:32 AM
Vatia seems to consider the comment for a few moments, before shaking her head. "Mmm, no, no I don't think I would. I had quite a pleasant conversation, after all."

James_Beckett
2017-07-05, 12:39 AM
"Alternative plan," Lucinia says, raising up her hands in protest. "I know I was a bit gung ho earlier about the whole 'Shooting the aliens in the face' route earlier. I got sucked into the moment, and I apologize for that. Now that I see the horde of screeching little beasts, though, I'm starting to reconsider my position. What if we just startle them off? I've got plenty of music available that can maybe convince them that we're even screechier than they are.

She nods to Shandyra. "Then again, she's the gal with the ammunition, so I guess I'll defer to her infinitely rational judgment."

Ramsus
2017-07-05, 04:26 AM
"Either idea is as good as the other to me. Just. Make. Them. Stop." Kanri replies, not caring which of them did what first. Sure she could just cut the external sound, but then they'd be talking over mics and they might miss out on other important sounds like..... flying thresher maw screeches or something. Who knows what's out here?

Hazuki
2017-07-06, 07:34 PM
Ver0nica grunts and seems like she'll be perfectly content to continue the walk back to the Sparrow in silence.

Comissar
2017-07-10, 03:44 AM
Vatia allows the silence to hold on their journey back to the Sparrow, simply considering what her report should be. As the ship came into sight, she glanced over to Ver0nica, "In all seriousness, I know it was boring for you, but thanks for watching my back. I appreciate it."

Hazuki
2017-07-12, 05:20 AM
"You're welcome." Ver0nica shrugs her shoulders as she heads up the ramp.

Comissar
2017-07-17, 08:05 AM
Heading back on board, Vatia brought up her omni-tool, sending a message to Captain Hrux.

Meeting completed, reasonably confident Super Dragon is not a threat to Angel Valley. Appeared to have interests of colonists at heart, seemed unaware of purpose behind initial colonisation efforts. Can provide detailed report if required.

While waiting for a response, she headed over to the mess hall, intending to just enjoy a bit of quiet.

Hazuki
2017-07-17, 01:42 PM
It's not long after Vatia's message that Hrux sends one back.

Detailed report before the end of your shift, if you'd be so kind.

- Captain Hrux

Comissar
2017-07-19, 04:42 PM
Vatia's mandibles twitch as she reads the captain's message. Moving over to a terminal, she rolls her shoulders before settling in to type up her report.

+++

Agent Vatia Alesis, Threat Assessment of the mercenary 'Super Dragon'

Subject 'Super Dragon' is assumed to be the same individual as the Turian 'Misophis Halate'. Personal equipment, and presumably general mercenary band equipment, purchased legally rather than stolen, showing no inclination toward piratical behaviour in this regard (See Attached conversations re:Armour models with Octarine, and Zakera Ward footage from C-Sec). Any connection between Misophis and the Amygdala Corporation is, to the best of the Hierarchy's knowledge, non-existent. As such, the same is assumed to be true of 'Super Dragon' and the Amygdala Coprotation.

Agent has made personal contact with 'Super Dragon' twice, the most recent encounter being a direct conversational meeting between the two. 'Super Dragon' currently is unaware of the true purpose of the meeting, believing it to be a friendly conversation. Meeting was overseen by Ver0nica at a distance, providing cover through long range sniper should 'Super Dragon' prove hostile.

'Super Dragon' revealed that his crew consists of colonists chosen and trained by himself, having arrived in the system with only his ship and himself, citing lack of funds for the low level of preparation undertaken. 'Super Dragon' stated philanthropy as primary motivator for aiding the denizens of Angel Valley, and expressed apparently genuine concern at the thought of Fairlight moving on from the colony, citing pirates to be a major worry for him. Additionally, 'Super Dragon' cited the fallout of the Relay 314 incident as another motivator, feeling a personal stake in repairing Turian-Human relations.

My opinion is that 'Super Dragon' is not a threat to the safety of Angel Valley at present. His concerns regarding piracy following the repair of the comms buoy are well founded, and his efforts to both restore and maintain function are laudable, if not necessarily the most efficient route. It is my recommendation that Fairlight liaises with 'Super Dragon' on the matter of Angel Valley. It may even prove worthwhile to recruit him into the organisation, as the additional oversight this would provide can ensure there is minimal risk of him becoming a damaging factor for the colony.

+++

After attaching the relevant supporting files, Vatia submitted the report to the Captain.

Ramsus
2017-07-21, 11:04 AM
Seeing her allies hesitate and not wanting to deal with this any longer, Kanri opens up one of the small boxes and just tries to use her biotic abilities to quickly (though not forcefully) pull one of the creatures into the box. If she succeeds she'll snap the box closed and run off in a different direction.

Quickly: [roll0] + 1 = ?

I'd just like to note this is the first roll of this thread. Neat huh?

Edit: The not neat part is that I totally forget how to calculate the outcome. >_<

Hazuki
2017-07-23, 07:02 AM
Vatia

Vatia receives a brief confirmation that her report has been accepted, and she's free to wander the ship as much as she'd like. The mess hall is relatively sparse at this point, though she does spot the scholar, Deadangle, and the large Asari, Cryptid, sitting at a table and arguing. Well, less of an argument, and more of an impasse. Deadangle's cutting remarks can't get through Cryptid's general confusion, and all of Cryptid's points are easily rebuffed. One of Manos' drones is scanning the sleeping pods, and Crewman Enpezie is doing something in the background.

~

Kanri

The creature squeals more loudly when Kanri yanks it through the air. She manages to slam the box closed before it can escape, but her success if followed by the leaping of many native monsters. It's only thanks to the efforts of Shandrya's rifle-butt that she's able to start sprinting away, with both of her allies on her heels, and all of the fauna right behind those.

Ramsus
2017-07-24, 12:32 PM
Kanri hands the box with the screaming creature in it over to Shandrya and suggest she take it back to the shuttle while she and Lucinia split up and look for more stuff. They can just radio each other if they get in trouble or need assistance with something.

Comissar
2017-07-26, 08:06 AM
Vatia briefly glances through the reply she received before dismissing her omni-tool. She ambles through the mess hall, rolling her shoulders to loosen the joints as she does, gradually making her way over to the drinks dispenser. Pouring herself a cup of water, she ambled back, taking a different route this time, one that took her near Crewman Enpezie, and finished one table over from Deadangle and Cryptid. Seating herself so that she could periodically glance over at the isolated Crewman, she leaned back in her chair slightly and just relaxed.

Vatia's going to surreptitiously keep an eye on what Crewman Enpezie's up to, using the amble back as an opportunity to get a close look. If it's something that appears to be innocuous, she'll spend her time just being nosy and listening in to what the discussion is. Otherwise, she'll be tuning the discussing duo out and mostly keeping an eye on Enpezie. Let me know if you want any rolls for any of this!

Hazuki
2017-08-01, 07:34 PM
Kanri

Thanks to nimble movements and not being in possession of a screaming alien, Kanri manages to avoid the horde that was just on her heels. She finds herself standing in a particularly tall patch of grass, where big rocks meet dense trees that stand at about twice her height. She can hear nothing coming up behind her, in front of her, or beside her.

~

Vatia

Enpezie seems to be milling around with no obvious purpose and not even a shred of malice in his actions.

Ramsus
2017-08-02, 12:41 PM
Kanri checks in with the others over their radios to see how they're all doing and if the pilots of the shuttle have anything to report.

Comissar
2017-08-03, 07:05 AM
Content that Enpezie posed no immediate existential threat to the Sparrow, Vatia sipped at her drink. Mostly from curiosity, she kept an ear out to listen in on the discussion being held between Deadangle and Cryptid, wondering what brought them to such a conversational impasse.

Hazuki
2017-08-06, 03:56 PM
Kanri

Shandrya replies first, with a spoken message. "Stupid monkeys. I'm fine now. Heading back."

Followed by the doctor of the field team, in a message. I'm already here.

And then from The Heralds. You're a bad xenobiologist. Nothing happening here.

~

Vatia

"Shoe's a shoe. Boot's a boot." Cryptid says, evenly.

"We just...we just went over this! A boot is a boot, and a shoe is a shoe, but a boot is also a kind of shoe. It's a specific item, that's part of the shoe category of item."

"Not necessarily."

Deadangle leans forwards, waiting, and silence fills the air for a good ten seconds. "...go on?"

"Where?" Cryptid asks.

Comissar
2017-08-07, 03:19 AM
Vatia's mandibles twitch as she finds herself fascinated by the conversation going on next to her. She listens for a few more moments before leaning over. "Do you mind if I interject? Why is a boot not a shoe? What, specifically, makes it a boot and not a shoe?"

Ramsus
2017-08-07, 12:18 PM
"Huh? Why?" Kanri asks the Heralds, who she was expecting to be more civilized.

Hazuki
2017-08-07, 12:38 PM
Vatia

"Boots are boots." Cryptid answers. "They'd be called shoes if they weren't."

~

Kanri

Kanri's messaging tool lights up again. Lack of training? It suggests as a reason.

Comissar
2017-08-07, 05:17 PM
Vatia tilted her head, "I think boots are more of a subcategory of shoes. It's like..." Her mandibles twitch, and she waves a hand in the air as she tries to think of a suitable analogy, "It's like different types of cake, right? You've got sponges, cupcakes, cheesecakes, so on, and they're all distinct from each other. But they're also all still cakes. And they all fall under 'deserts' too, for that matter. So what if you think of boots as being the cheesecakes of shoes?"

Ramsus
2017-08-08, 12:09 PM
"Well yes that is true. Do you have any specific complaints or advice that might actually help or are you two just bored?" Kanri replies, beginning to search around for the kinds of things she came out here for.

Hazuki
2017-08-08, 12:15 PM
Vatia

Cryptid digests Vatia's words for several moments. "...you can't eat boots.

Deadangle's lips could not be more pursed.

~

Kanri

Kanri realizes that she's faced with three options: Returning to the land of the screeching creatures behind her, head into the dense trees that may prove difficult to maneuver through, or head back to the shuttle.

A message pops up. Hold on to hope. You'll see us when you get back.

Ramsus
2017-08-09, 05:23 PM
Kanri heads into the dense woods all alone. Like some kind of genius. Though mostly like some kind of person who wants more results from this trip than a single incredibly annoying lizard or whatever.

Comissar
2017-08-10, 01:27 AM
Vatia's mandibles twitch as she's silent for a few moments. "... Aren't some boots made out of leather? You can eat those, if you boil them."

Hazuki
2017-08-13, 07:44 PM
Kanri

As Kanri slips inbetween the branches of the first few trees, it seems like the trees aren't going to get more sparse any time soon. She manages to get in by some depth, without much interference from any local wildlife or her dashing expedition companions. What she does find is an area where the trees have converged, just overhead, and a patch of root-covered ground sits at their center. She's standing behind a bridging pair of branches before the small clearing, while the rest of it looks about the same as what she's spent a couple of minutes squeezing through.

And, perhaps for the first time since they landed, she's gotten the jump on a local lifeform. This one sits at the center of the clearing. An array of leaf-shaped extremities form a kind of bell shape on its lower half, while a short stalk made of three lengths of plant matter emerge from its center with a golden, rocky-looking orb at the top. It seems about the size of her fist.

~

Vatia

"Nah." Cryptid says.

Ramsus
2017-08-14, 12:50 PM
Kanri slowly prepares a container of the appropriate size and carefully opens it and attempts to use her biotic powers to pull the creature into the box before it realizes what's going on.

Stealthy: [roll0]
This is the correct way of rolling that right? Stealthy for Kanri is +2.

Comissar
2017-08-15, 05:28 AM
Vatia's mandibles twitched again, she was beginning to see where Deadangle's frustration was coming from. "They're not made of leather any more? Anyway, getting off track. Would you agree that you can have something be distinct, but still belong to a larger category? Like how cakes are their own thing, but they're also a dessert?"

Hazuki
2017-08-18, 02:38 PM
Kanri

Kanri's specimen flies straight out of the ground and into her box before it knows what hit it. Given its unmoving nature, and the series of roots that seem to have been torn up with it, this one's more of a flora than a fauna.

~

Vatia

Cryptid considers the question. "Dessert cakes are cakes."

Comissar
2017-08-19, 06:56 AM
Vatia grows a little more animated, feeling that perhaps she was getting through to Cryptid, "Right! But not all cakes are dessert cakes, agreed? It's like that with boots and shoes. All boots are shoes, but not all shoes are boots."

Ramsus
2017-08-19, 12:43 PM
"Oh." Kanri says feeling a little dumb. She then collects a good pile of the dirt the plant was sitting in and puts it under the roots in the box so it won't die while she continues on.

Hazuki
2017-08-23, 08:02 AM
Vatia

Cryptid shakes her head. "Then they'd be called shoe boots."

~

Kanri

The Quarian attempts to continue her tree-trotting adventure, only to discover that the filled container is rather too thick to slip through the trees.

Ramsus
2017-08-23, 01:03 PM
Figuring this is probably a stupid idea that is going to attract some kind of flying creature, but not seeing many better options (not only can she not just casually push aside trees, it's kind of not a nice thing to do if you can avoid it), Kanri lifts the container into the air high enough to be above the tops of the trees and slowly walks it and herself back out of the forested area. Figuring she might lose this particular sample, she's mentally preparing for an attempt at trying to snatch a flying creature out of the air as it tries to steal away her sample. Not that she expects she'll have a lot of luck with that.

Comissar
2017-08-23, 04:16 PM
Vatia sags slightly, feeling she'd managed to lose some ground, "... Not necessarily..." Her mandibles twitched as she sought for another example, "What about different types of gun? You wouldn't call a pistol a 'pistol gun', but it's still a gun, just like a rifle is, it's just a different type of gun."

Hazuki
2017-08-28, 07:02 PM
Kanri successfully maneuvers the subject out of the forest through her clever use of biotics, heading back the way she came and ending up in the rocky area she'd entered from.

~

The gears in Cryptid's head turns as she attempts to come to a consensus, then nods. "Yes."

Ramsus
2017-08-29, 12:28 PM
Kanri searches for any more flora or fauna of interest as she brings the container back to the shuttle. She doesn't have many choices about that since there's only so much she can carry.

Comissar
2017-08-30, 05:45 AM
Vatia's mandibles twitch, and she leans forward, "There you go, then! In the same way that a pistol is a type of gun, a boot is a type of shoe!"

Hazuki
2017-09-10, 01:03 PM
When Kanri arrives at the shuttle, she finds...everyone is already there waiting for her. The Heralds are sitting on top of the shuttle, while Shandrya leans near the back and Lucinia is sitting inside, listening to music.

~

"Gun's not a thing." Cryptid says. "Shoes are a thing."

Comissar
2017-09-11, 03:57 AM
Vatia's mandibles twitch and she looks over at Deadangle in confusion. Turning back to Cryptid, she asked "... Why are gun's not things..?"

Ramsus
2017-09-11, 03:14 PM
Kanri examines the shuttle to see how much space it has left in it for samples.

Hazuki
2017-09-14, 02:16 PM
Deadangle is "happily" sitting in her chair, her lips perpetually pursed.

"Nothing that's just a gun." Cryptid says. "Rifles are guns. Pistols are guns. A shoe is a shoe."

Comissar
2017-09-16, 06:05 AM
Seeing as she was going to get no help from the silent Asari, Vatia rubbed at her temple for a moment, trying to decipher Cryptid's train of thought. "... Ok... Ok, but... A shoe is something you wear on your foot... A boot is something you wear on your foot, and therefore falls under the category of shoe... Right..?"

Hazuki
2017-09-16, 12:56 PM
"No." Cryptid says. "You wear footwear on your feet."