PDA

View Full Version : Mystic ruling and questions

Satsujinki
2017-05-15, 07:05 AM
Talking of this mystic: https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf
some questions rose up while making a character:
1) psi point, I get that there is a limit, but does the limit applies to all the psi point used on a single instance of a discipline or on the whole turn? Example: Asses foe (2 psi point) as a bonus action + knock back on the attack(1 psi point) + mighty leap 1 psi point on the movement. I went over the 3 point of the psi limit in this turn, so I can't do one of these, right? or is it 3 for discipline, so I can spend 6 points as long as I use it on different discipline (aura sight + brute force)?
2)Telepathy: they can't speak back to me, can they?
3)Consumptive Power: This yet again confuses me... so, is this is also limited by the limit?
4)Psionic Mastery: I think I got this right: I have 9 special psi point, I can use them as I wish, and if I sue them on multiple disciplines with concentration, I can concentrate on all of them, BUT it goes in conflict with whatever is going on with my normal psi point, especially if concentration, and drops my concentration on my normal psi point discipline, did I get it right? if so... can you guys give me an example of disciplines you'd want together in concentration?
5)... i dunno what order to pick, suggestions? XD

I know it's a lot of questions, but the mystic seems really packed with stuff, and I don't want to derp on my first session.

Vaz
2017-05-15, 08:46 AM
1; There's no mention of "turn" within the rules for Psi-limit. Why would you think there would be?
2; It's unclear; speak to can mean converse with, or talk at, depending on context. FWIW, I think that the answer is no, but DM's frequently rule otherwise)
3; I personally think it's an oversight that it doesn't specifically mention that you cannot go above your Psi-limit when using HP instead, but going by the rules, the Psi-limit only applies to the number of Psi-points you spend.
4; Whoa, dude. You need to start using proper English, rather than text speech. Psi-Mastery gives you 9 Free Psi-Points that can only be spent on Action or Bonus Action Disciplines; you cannot combine these with your normal Psi-points. The actual wording on concentration is frankly poor as hell, and WotC need to get their thumb out of their arse and actually explain what they mean, because you can already concentrate on all of the disciplines powers, just not at the same time. Nothing in the wording suggests you can break the cardinal rule of maintaining concentration on all of the powers.
5; um, no, not really. I'm not going to suggest blasting powers if you want to be a sneak. Give us some help here, man.

Satsujinki
2017-05-15, 09:08 AM
4)So even normal psi point allow to keep multiple concentration on multiple disciplines, as long as it doesnt come for another discipline. And the concentration goes **** all once you use special psi points. I think i got it.
5) yeah, no one has decided what kind of character they will make, so, I'm at loss. The soul knife sound cool but redundant. Attracted by the beefy immortal/awakened order.

Satsujinki
2017-05-16, 07:47 AM
Update: rolled stats: 12 11 13 9 11 12, i'll probably do a mystic immortal, any suggestion?
my ac with or without armor is soooooo low XD (12)

Matticusrex
2017-05-16, 07:50 AM
Update: rolled stats: 12 11 13 9 11 12, i'll probably do a mystic immortal, any suggestion?

I find that stats like that are best used on the stillborn class.

Satsujinki
2017-05-16, 07:55 AM
The what, im sorry?

Vaz
2017-05-16, 11:26 AM
The what, im sorry?

He's saying that those were practise rolls, and now you're warmed up, have another pop. For example, the average point buy suggested is 27pts. Yours is 20. You're not going to have fun with that character when the only thing you have to rely on is your Proficiency.

nilshai
2017-05-16, 11:39 AM
2; It's unclear; speak to can mean converse with, or talk at, depending on context. FWIW, I think that the answer is no, but DM's frequently rule otherwise)

Would you please elaborate, why it is unlcear? MM p.9 as the general ruling on Telepathy states, that the recipient of a telepathic message can always repond:

A creature without telepathy can receive and respond to telepathic messages but can't initiate or terminate a telepathic conversation.

So unless the ability specifically states, that responding is not possible, i would expect it to work.

Vaz
2017-05-16, 11:44 AM
Which is demonstrably different from the Mystics (and for the matter the Warlock's) ability which doesn't make any mention of a monster being able to respond to their telepathy; indeed requiring sight as another of the differences, neither is it affected by either self or target being in an AMF.

dejarnjc
2017-05-16, 12:32 PM
Would you please elaborate, why it is unlcear? MM p.9 as the general ruling on Telepathy states, that the recipient of a telepathic message can always repond:

So unless the ability specifically states, that responding is not possible, i would expect it to work.

I'm pretty sure the designers have stated that PC telepathy (ghost-wise halfling, warlock, mystic) is only one-way at the moment.

joaber
2017-05-16, 03:16 PM

You can choose the stats or they are fix?
If you can choose, be avatar high elf or gnome to get 14 in dex and int and your AC is 18 (19 when you get a better armor)

nilshai
2017-05-16, 05:09 PM
Which is demonstrably different from the Mystics (and for the matter the Warlock's) ability which doesn't make any mention of a monster being able to respond to their telepathy; indeed requiring sight as another of the differences, neither is it affected by either self or target being in an AMF.

Why would these abilities repeat what already is explained in the general rule? The specific abilities do not have to mention the ability to respond, because the general rule already decided it for all specific abilities.

As i understand it, AMF always affects telepathy, because the general rule says so and the specific doesn't deny it.

The topic "Telepathy" in the monster manual is not "different" from the other abilities. It is a general rule, everything else is a specific ability.

Vaz
2017-05-16, 06:29 PM
Why would these abilities repeat what already is explained in the general rule? The specific abilities do not have to mention the ability to respond, because the general rule already decided it for all specific abilities.

As i understand it, AMF always affects telepathy, because the general rule says so and the specific doesn't deny it.

The topic "Telepathy" in the monster manual is not "different" from the other abilities. It is a general rule, everything else is a specific ability.

Exactly. It's different from Telepathy in the Monster Manual, and makes no mention of the monster manual, and is demonstrably different from the ability mentioned in the monster manual. It might be a general rule. But the Telepathy of the Warlock and Mystic do not follow those rules.

If it's a general rule, why is the rule of Telepathy of those individuals different from the spell Telepathy within the Players Handbook, and why is the Monster Manual ability different from the Telepathy spell and the Telepathy abilities within the Players Handbook or the Mystic or the Whisper Gnome?

Is it perhaps because they different?

I'm going to go with yes, because, you know, the rules say the do different things.

Khrysaes
2017-05-16, 07:44 PM
Talking of this mystic: https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf
some questions rose up while making a character:
1) psi point, I get that there is a limit, but does the limit applies to all the psi point used on a single instance of a discipline or on the whole turn? Example: Asses foe (2 psi point) as a bonus action + knock back on the attack(1 psi point) + mighty leap 1 psi point on the movement. I went over the 3 point of the psi limit in this turn, so I can't do one of these, right? or is it 3 for discipline, so I can spend 6 points as long as I use it on different discipline (aura sight + brute force)?
2)Telepathy: they can't speak back to me, can they?
3)Consumptive Power: This yet again confuses me... so, is this is also limited by the limit?
4)Psionic Mastery: I think I got this right: I have 9 special psi point, I can use them as I wish, and if I sue them on multiple disciplines with concentration, I can concentrate on all of them, BUT it goes in conflict with whatever is going on with my normal psi point, especially if concentration, and drops my concentration on my normal psi point discipline, did I get it right? if so... can you guys give me an example of disciplines you'd want together in concentration?
5)... i dunno what order to pick, suggestions? XD

I know it's a lot of questions, but the mystic seems really packed with stuff, and I don't want to derp on my first session.

1: I believe it is instance of a discipline. So for 1 turn, you can spend up to your maximum psi points on any discipline that is an action, movement, and Bonus action, and you get one reaction per round. so for each of those instances you can spend points on applicable disciplines.

2: Since it says communicate, I would say yes. It doesn't specify, but communication implies both ways.

3: It doesn't specify being able to go over the limit, so I would say up to the limit.

4: You can use all 9(or 11) points on 1 discipline, ignoring the otherwise 7 limit. Or you can use them spread out among multiple disciplines. If you are currently concentrating on anything, you lose concentration on that for whatever concentration ability you have used these 9 points on. If you use these 9 points on multiple concentration abilities, you can concentrate on all of them at once. If you then start concentrating on something new, all concentration disciplines you had started with this action end.

5: looking at other posts, unless required by your DM, use point buy. If it is required by your DM, roll in front of them. Pick a race that Ups Int, and either Con or Dex as a secondary. Or one that has interesting or useful abilities. Variant Human is always good. Half elf is probably good in this case too.

Know that mystic after 10th level isn't that good, since the disciplines don't actually get anything better than a 5th level spell slot as a comparable ability. With the exception of the psionic mastery ability allowing you to go past the 7 point limit. According to Wu Jen 7 points is a 5th level spell.

Following the wu jen's progression, a 6th level spell is likely 8 points, and a 9th is probably 11, however, there is the jump between 2nd and 3rd level spells that skips 4 points, so we can only guess. In addition, you gain at 1 extra use of psionic mastery at 13th, 15th, and 17th level, and the pool increases to 11(9th) at 15th. so you effectively can cast up to 4 above 5th level spells per long rest, and all of them can be 9th level spells. All other classes get 6, but are limited to 1 9th level spell, 1 8th, and 2 6th and 7th. There is the argument that the discipline abilities aren't as strong as the spells though.

Otherwise you get 71(78) points, if you count the presumably 7 extra points from using your health. this is 11 5th level slots by level 18, or if comparing to the other spell casters, they get, 4 1st and 2nd, 3 3rd-5th.
A mystic gets, going backwards, 3 5th, 3 4th, and 3 3rd for 54 points, and 4 1st and 2nd for 20 points, for a total of 74 points. Disregarding abilities, it is at least comparable to the spell slots a casting class gets. with less high level slots and effects.

A lot of damage you would do is either by weapon, or the talents that deal damage, and I believe all of them require saving throws. There is one discipline that augments the talents too.

Wu jen is a great multiclass for Paladin/Cleric/Warlock(With smite equivalent from UA), that gain smites because they get more flexible slot arrangement and abilities.