PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need help to create a caster mystic

Neo_phoenix
2017-05-15, 08:18 AM
Hi, i am going to start a new adventure with some friends and i`d like to make a caster mystic with a nice damage.
We start at level 20 and everything present in the manual and in unearthed arcana is allowed but no multiclassing. I was thinking about an high elf (choosing fire bolt as cantrip) and the wu jen order, the discipline i considered are fire mastery (for the big damage and the fire buff to use also on the cantrip), wood and earth mastery (for the wall and the weapon buff) and psychic assault (buff for mind thrust and 1d8 istant damage) and i dont know the 4th. The talents are mind thrust(good damage to deal against fire resistant enemies) and mind slam (to make opponents fall prone). I dont know if wu jen order and the disciplines and talents i choose are optimal so i am open to all the advices. Thanks in advance and i am sorry if i wrote something wrong :smallsmile:

jaappleton
2017-05-15, 08:28 AM
Hi, i am going to start a new adventure with some friends and i`d like to make a caster mystic with a nice damage.
We start at level 20 and everything present in the manual and in unearthed arcana is allowed but no multiclassing. I was thinking about an high elf (choosing fire bolt as cantrip) and the wu jen order, the discipline i considered are fire mastery (for the big damage and the fire buff to use also on the cantrip), wood and earth mastery (for the wall and the weapon buff) and psychic assault (buff for mind thrust and 1d8 istant damage) and i dont know the 4th. The talents are mind thrust(good damage to deal against fire resistant enemies) and mind slam (to make opponents fall prone). I dont know if wu jen order and the disciplines and talents i choose are optimal so i am open to all the advices. Thanks in advance and i am sorry if i wrote something wrong :smallsmile:

Something people often overlook at a Mystic... and I overlooked it. Literally my head popped off my pillow at 3:30AM with this realization.

You start with bonus Disciplines of your Order (unless you're a Soul Knife).

Nothing prevents you from training out of those bonus Disciplines as you level up. You can do that.

So you can be an Immortal with no Immortal Disciplines. A Wu Jen with no Wu Jen Disciplines.

So you aren't confined to the "Well two of my Disciplines have to be..." train of thought. Not at that high level, at least.

Anyways, my two favorites are Mastery of Air and Nomadic Step.

Neo_phoenix
2017-05-15, 08:33 AM
Something people often overlook at a Mystic... and I overlooked it. Literally my head popped off my pillow at 3:30AM with this realization.

You start with bonus Disciplines of your Order (unless you're a Soul Knife).

Nothing prevents you from training out of those bonus Disciplines as you level up. You can do that.

So you can be an Immortal with no Immortal Disciplines. A Wu Jen with no Wu Jen Disciplines.

So you aren't confined to the "Well two of my Disciplines have to be..." train of thought. Not at that high level, at least.

Anyways, my two favorites are Mastery of Air and Nomadic Step.
yeah i know that s why i was asking, maybe some orders are better for a damage dealer caster than wu jen and i am not considering it, and i thought that fire and wood&earth were good damage disciplines

Sir cryosin
2017-05-15, 08:40 AM

Well besides mastery of Force you have all the ones you'll need. Now just pick whick ones look like fun to have. Telepathic contact, mastery of light and dark, diminution, are some fun ones also look at intellect Fortress

Neo_phoenix
2017-05-15, 09:06 AM
Well besides mastery of Force you have all the ones you'll need. Now just pick whick ones look like fun to have. Telepathic contact, mastery of light and dark, diminution, are some fun ones also look at intellect Fortress
Can you tell me why everyone says that mastery of force is strong? i can`t understand that T_T

Sir cryosin
2017-05-15, 09:46 AM
Can you tell me why everyone says that mastery of force is strong? i can`t understand that T_T

It's the 14+Dex mod for AC. Also you can force choke someone then if the brake the grapple they fall for fall damage. Then there pushing. Just all kinds of fun stuff. I was playing a Jedi mystic before she was killed last week. And I was picking people up and throwing them into other people.pickong up the party's pet Drake's and bringing them down into holes and up again.

jaappleton
2017-05-15, 10:02 AM
It's the 14+Dex mod for AC. Also you can force choke someone then if the brake the grapple they fall for fall damage. Then there pushing. Just all kinds of fun stuff. I was playing a Jedi mystic before she was killed last week. And I was picking people up and throwing them into other people.pickong up the party's pet Drake's and bringing them down into holes and up again.

The damage done by Mastery of Force sucks. Also, the DC10 Dex save is awful.

Beyond that...

There's one Discipline, I forget the name, to be honest. But it has a 5PP ability, it deals Psychic damage in a radius, and the great thing is that it forces any enemy hit with it to roll their next saving throw with Disadvantage. Couple that ability with your other party members... Force Disadvantage on a saving throw VS the Wizards Disintegrate?

Sir cryosin
2017-05-15, 10:08 AM
The damage done by Mastery of Force sucks. Also, the DC10 Dex save is awful.

Beyond that...

There's one Discipline, I forget the name, to be honest. But it has a 5PP ability, it deals Psychic damage in a radius, and the great thing is that it forces any enemy hit with it to roll their next saving throw with Disadvantage. Couple that ability with your other party members... Force Disadvantage on a saving throw VS the Wizards Disintegrate?

It's not about the damage it about the fun of using creatures like rag dolls

jaappleton
2017-05-15, 10:18 AM
It's not about the damage it about the fun of using creatures like rag dolls

Coolness factor? Yes, Mastery of Force is good.

Though I argue that actually spending a Discipline on it isn't a very optimal choice.

Neo_phoenix
2017-05-15, 02:59 PM
i am sure that i want to pick mastery of fire and psychic assault but i dont really know what to take on the 2 slots :/ mastery of wood has a pretty short range, i dont know if its worth... and i still cant decide which order to pick considering that i am not limited with the disciplines (we start at lvl 3)