PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help designing a dragon lair

IIzak
2017-05-15, 09:28 AM
So I had what i believe to be a neat dungeon idea and I want it to be done up really nice, but i'm experiencing some serious writers block as far as how to build it and what to throw in front of the party, so I am turning to the forums for inspiration. The basic premise is that there is an Adult, maybe a young adult bronze dragon that is going to show up because he's heard of the adventurers as they are starting to get famous. This dragon has just finished setting up his new lair and he'd like to test it, so he wants to ask the adventurers to come try to plunder his lair. Anything they can take is theirs. I'm not sure if he's going to openly tell them that he's a dragon and that he'd like them to try plundering his lair, or if he is going to slip them the hook in a sneaky way, but I need ideas for designing the actual lair, so i was wondering if people could help? Thank you in advance.

Braininthejar2
2017-05-15, 11:28 AM
Hmm... so, a lawful good, but sneaky, semi-aquatic dragon, highly social. So, we're looking for something like a luxury beach resort that will still incapacitate or kill intruders...

No dragon would gamble his whole treasure on something like this, so I guess he hasn't moved his hoard in yet - but there will be some treasures to be won.

What is his attitude to the party? Is it a friendly competition (he trusts them enough to let them see his defences - or plans to change them later to adjust to what the party did) or does he consider them villains and is trying to get them killed? This will make a big difference in how his defences are constructed.

Telonius
2017-05-15, 11:33 AM
Hmm... so, a lawful good, but sneaky, semi-aquatic dragon, highly social. So, we're looking for something like a luxury beach resort that will still incapacitate or kill intruders...

No dragon would gamble his whole treasure on something like this, so I guess he hasn't moved his hoard in yet - but there will be some treasures to be won.

What is his attitude to the party? Is it a friendly competition (he trusts them enough to let them see his defences - or plans to change them later to adjust to what the party did) or does he consider them villains and is trying to get them killed? This will make a big difference in how his defences are constructed.

I think you need to make this an entire adventure arc based on Fantasy Island. :smallbiggrin:

Gildedragon
2017-05-15, 12:02 PM
Lair: series of subterranean partially or fully submerged chambers and "ruins"
Lair location: an island's lagoon or an atoll
Entrance: a blue hole in the middle of lake or atoll: possibly ringed by stinging coral.
Traps: remotish location, possibly two days sailing; nearest fishing port bribed to not lend out boats, give island or atoll a wide berth; dangerous reefs and shallows around island. Within Lair; entangling kelp, murky water mazes, living spell "jellyfish" swarms, coral, whirlpools

Braininthejar2
2017-05-15, 12:07 PM
An old favourite of any aquatic dragon would be a long underwater tunnel with a dispel magic trap half way through :smalltongue: And it won't do a thing to his dolphin / sea elf/ marid friends :smallcool:

Braininthejar2
2017-05-15, 12:16 PM
http://www.favething.com/uploads/images/main-fave-images/benagil_portugal_secret_sea_caves-2.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/www.moco-choco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/worlds-strangest-natural-wonders-blue-cave-kastellorizo-7.jpg

Waker
2017-05-15, 12:19 PM
So I had what i believe to be a neat dungeon idea and I want it to be done up really nice, but i'm experiencing some serious writers block as far as how to build it and what to throw in front of the party, so I am turning to the forums for inspiration. The basic premise is that there is an Adult, maybe a young adult bronze dragon that is going to show up because he's heard of the adventurers as they are starting to get famous. This dragon has just finished setting up his new lair and he'd like to test it, so he wants to ask the adventurers to come try to plunder his lair. Anything they can take is theirs. I'm not sure if he's going to openly tell them that he's a dragon and that he'd like them to try plundering his lair, or if he is going to slip them the hook in a sneaky way, but I need ideas for designing the actual lair, so i was wondering if people could help? Thank you in advance.
Maybe take a note from Goonies. Cavern that is accessible via a waterfall or low-tide. The occasional mechanical trap, especially if this was a dungeon with previous tenants. Perhaps the dragon corralled some aquatic creatures inside, including making deals with intelligent creatures.

This is important to remember. Will a dragon part with some of his hoard? Sure, if he likes the people. But giving up the entire horde is a bit much. Give 'em a few odds and ends, but no more. A horde is for people who kill a dragon.

Braininthejar2
2017-05-15, 12:22 PM
I think you need to make this an entire adventure arc based on Fantasy Island.

Oh, you're onto something there. That would a fine hobby for a dragon with a private island.

Gildedragon
2017-05-15, 12:36 PM
Twist:
Lair is a decoy, protected by an effigy creature double of the dragon or a shadowcraft mage made trap of hyper real "silent image" dragon
True hoard is in the basement of a village fisherman who is the dragon in disguise.

Braininthejar2
2017-05-16, 02:20 PM
So, do you want anything more specific?

I wonder if one could grow a miniature coral reef on a stone golem...

Waker
2017-05-16, 02:46 PM
I wonder if one could grow a miniature coral reef on a stone golem...
There is a CR9 Coral Golem in Stormwrack.