PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Spell, Low level bigby's (PEACH)

clash
2017-05-15, 10:33 AM
I really like bigbys hand and wanted a caster that specializes in spells like it. Unfortunately the only low level spell that works right now is mage hand and that doesnt do enough for me. So without further adieu, bigby's middle finger. Please let me know if it is balanced.

Bigbys Finger
Evocation
Level: 1
Casting time: 1 Action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (An eggshell and a snakeskin glove)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You create a Large finger of shimmering, translucent force in an unoccupied space that you can see within range. The hand lasts for the spell’s duration, and it moves at your command, mimicking the movements of your own finger.
The hand is an object that has AC 10 and 15 hit points. If it drops to 0 hit points, the spell ends. It has a Strength of 16 (+3) and a Dexterity of 10 (+0). The finger doesn’t fill its space.

When you cast the spell and as a bonus action on your subsequent turns, you can move the hand up to 60 feet and then cause one of the following effects with it.
Jab:
The finger jabs one creature or object within 5 feet of it. Make a melee spell attack for the hand using your game statistics. On a hit, the target takes 1d6 force damage.
Trip:
Make a check with the finger's Strength contested by the Strength (Athletics) check of the target. If you suceed the target falls prone.
Taunt:
The finger makes a taunting motion towards the target. The target makes a wisdom save against your spell dc. If they fail they have disadvantage to attack anyone but the finger until the end of your next turn.
Distract:
The finger can distract a target within 5ft of it. The next attack against the creature has advantage.

When you cast this spell with a spell slot of 2nd level or higher the damage of jab increases by 1d6 and the finger's strength score increases by 2 per spell level above 1st.

Potato_Priest
2017-05-15, 10:44 AM
Reading through, 20 hp and a lot of versatility makes it seem like it would be better balanced by putting it at level 2. If you do that, you could also upgrade the jab damage a bit.

clash
2017-05-15, 10:48 AM
I wanted to have it at level 1 and have it scale. I could reduce the hp, that's not an issue, but do you think it has too much versatility to be level 1?

khadgar567
2017-05-15, 11:48 AM
you know just casting this sucker is kinda cue roll initiative for dm.

Sicarius Victis
2017-05-15, 07:43 PM
Why not just make it closer to "Bigby's Digits" or something, while including "Bigby's Middle Finger" as one of the options? It fits with the "original" spell, where it's four ideas rolled into one rather than one idea with four effects.

Also, that would allow one of the options to be "Bigby's Cat-Retrieving Palm", and that so needs to be a spell.

clash
2017-05-16, 08:32 AM
Why not just make it closer to "Bigby's Digits" or something, while including "Bigby's Middle Finger" as one of the options? It fits with the "original" spell, where it's four ideas rolled into one rather than one idea with four effects.

Also, that would allow one of the options to be "Bigby's Cat-Retrieving Palm", and that so needs to be a spell.

So basically have it do 4 possible effects but you have to choose the effect when casting rather than each round?

Sicarius Victis
2017-05-16, 09:35 PM
Well, the original was a "choose 1/round" as well, so I'm not advocating against that. Honestly, my main thought was more for flavour, as the name "Bigby's Middle Finger" ultimately just serves to limit the imagining of the spell to just the one digit, whether intentionally or not.

Grizl' Bjorn
2017-05-17, 05:10 AM
Reminds me of the Bigby's expressive finger spell in OOTS which is great.

clash
2017-05-17, 09:42 AM
Well, the original was a "choose 1/round" as well, so I'm not advocating against that. Honestly, my main thought was more for flavour, as the name "Bigby's Middle Finger" ultimately just serves to limit the imagining of the spell to just the one digit, whether intentionally or not.

Oh ya, that was meant to be humorous more than anything. I could rename it to bigby's finger and take out the middle part.