PDA

View Full Version : Dawnbringer

Moosehorn
2017-05-15, 05:06 PM
Hello all. I'm new to D&D life, so I'm looking for some help. I just recently acquired Dawnbringer, a Sun blade. I play a Gnome ranger and was wondering if my character is able to use this item.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-15, 05:28 PM
Assuming it's the same as the Sun Blade in the DMG? Sort of. It counts as either a Short Sword or a Bastard Sword. If it's sized for a Medium creature, you as a Small-sized creature would have to take the Short Sword option, and take a -2 penalty to treat it as a one-handed weapon, as per the rules on inappropriately sized weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponSize). (There's an variant in the DMG (page 27) which would have you treat a Medium Shortsword as a Small Longsword, bypassing the penalty, but it's not the default). If you're evil, you'll suffer a negative level while wielding it. Otherwise, you're golden.

EDIT: Actually, wait. What edition of D&D? My answer assumes 3.5; I think Squiddish' is for 5e.

Squiddish
2017-05-15, 07:14 PM
You definitely can, though you would need to attune to it first. Rangers are proficient in simple and martial weapons, and since it has the stats of a longsword, which lacks the heavy property, you won't have a penalty from your small size.

ATHATH
2017-05-16, 10:52 AM
I'm just genuinely curious here- how did you miss the sizable list of subforums (sections? subsections?) for each edition of D&D that's at the top of the Roleplaying Games section?

LibraryOgre
2017-05-16, 11:26 AM
The Mod Wonder: Thread closed because I can't figure out where to stick it, and the only real answer at this point is "Depends on which edition". Please reopen in the appropriate edition subforum.