PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Recommendations for Goblin mounts?

Metahuman1
2017-05-15, 10:22 PM
3.5 Game, Gestalt and currently at 2nd level.

I'm thinking the next leg of events for my campaign will be kicked off by a raid being conducted on the town the party are in. I wanted something small fry enough that they can be reasonably beaten in numbers, but still mobile and with the carrying capacity to provoke and make a chase of it to get the party to want too go after them.

I'm thinking Goblins would fit the bill nicely for that. That said, I'm also thinking mounted Goblins would allow for the speed and carrying capacity points.

So, I was wondering if anyone on the playground had recommendations for Mounts for Goblins? I'm looking for fast, mobile, half decent carrying capacity and survivability (I don't' care about there offensive ability's.). And that wouldn't look too out of place at low levels.

Godskook
2017-05-15, 10:33 PM
Riding Dogs are the worst mounts I could find, but 4 of them would be a CR5 on their own. With 4 goblin riders, that'd be a rather tough encounter for a low-medium-optmiization party, even gestalt. Worgs, Wolves and Dire Weasels would all work as well, except for the fact that they're all more dangerous than Riding Dogs.

unseenmage
2017-05-15, 11:18 PM
Could try diseased or old-age riding dogs. Riding dogs suffering from malnurishment or exposure could work too.

Would explain why goblins normally pair with worgs, worgs can take care of themselves and fight back against bored cruel goblins.

Yogibear41
2017-05-15, 11:18 PM
The Worg is pretty much the go to for riding animals when it comes to goblins.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-05-15, 11:48 PM
Wolves are the same CR as Riding Dogs but have lower damage and lower AC.

You could make up something and give it the same stats as a War Pony (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ponyWar.htm) for a CR 1/2.

manyslayer
2017-05-16, 08:15 AM
More goblins?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/Night%20Goblins/PiggyBack.jpg

noob
2017-05-16, 08:18 AM
Goblins riding guard and wards powered tanks?

J-H
2017-05-16, 08:37 AM
I knocked off 2 RHD, 1 NA, and 2 STR. This eliminated the Alertness feat and a few skill points. +4 to-hit with 1d6+3 and a trip is still a good threat against AC17 and 20hp. They will hit most 2nd level adventurers about 40-50% of the time, with a 50/50 chance of a successful trip on all but the beefiest.

Lesser Worg
These worgs are bred by Goblins for use as mounts. Although slightly smaller and weaker than their wild cousins, they breed in larger numbers and mature more quickly.

Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 2d10+4 (16 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+2 Dex, +1 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Trip
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +4, Listen +4, Move Silently +4, Spot +4, Survival +2*
Feats: Track
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (6-11)
Challenge Rating: 1

Darrin
2017-05-16, 08:49 AM
How about dinosaurs?

Clawfoot (ECS) is a little slower than a wolf, but has better combat stats than the riding dog: Str 17, Dex 17, three attacks.

Fleshraker (MM3) is even better: 50' speed, higher Dex, Leaping Pounce, and poison.

Professor Chimp
2017-05-16, 09:21 AM
I came in here expecting splendid recommendations on which Goblin race would be the best to ride. So far, that has been disappointing.
More goblins?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/Night%20Goblins/PiggyBack.jpgNow that is more like it.

On a more serious note, you could consider going Warhammer style and have them ride medium Monstruous Spiders.

They only have a landspeed of 30ft, but they have a 20 ft climb speed, so you can make the chase more interesting by having them try to escape into the trees, over rooftops , and such. Str 11 is more a problem tho, but since quadruped creatures get 1-1/2 carrying capacity, I suppose it wouldn't be too farfetched to make an octoped have 2x carrying capacity. Also, Goblins riding big spiders has more of an intimidation factor than plain ol' wolves.

denthor
2017-05-16, 10:42 AM
one of the monster manuals has goblin dogs they carry goblins that are immune to the icth that they carry. these do not spread disease but contact cause the skin to become red welts and itchy