PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Breaking the Skill Cap

ATHATH
2017-05-16, 02:27 AM
Is there a way to break the skill cap in Pathfinder (NOT 3.PF) without using Inspire Greatness cheese or the like?

Florian
2017-05-16, 03:19 AM
Hm, you mean max ranks in a skill, not highest skill bonus after everything is included?

Most basic way would be to abuse the "Monsters as PC" rules and go for something with HD > CR, as max cap. is racial HD + class HD.

Kurald Galain
2017-05-16, 03:27 AM
Masterwork items? Various items of +5 to a skill? Trait bonuses?

Florian
2017-05-16, 03:34 AM
Masterwork items? Various items of +5 to a skill? Trait bonuses?

I think this is about qualifying for prereqs and actually having ranks in a skill. With a hard cap of HD = rank, the question seems to be how to break that.

Edit: Look up some of the "servitor" races in Inner Sea Gods. CR 4 but 6 HD. By RAW, you could use a Stag Archon as a 4th level character, the additional 2 outsider HD would permanently "push" your skill cap by 2.

The HD > CR disparity is very common among certain types, especially fey.

ATHATH
2017-05-16, 10:25 AM
The CR<HD suggestion looks nice, but I'm going to have to start at 1st level (and as a Human, IIRC). I suppose that I could play as a CR 1 race with more than one HD...

Oh, and before I forget, this is an E6 game.

I think that I'm just gonna have to beg the DM to port over the Codex Anathema (I know that PF has its own version of it, by the way), Yenejg Togan's Planar Syllabus, or something similar from 3.5.

Where I'm trying to go with this is that my character would have (and by "have", I mean "be looking for") the skill-increasing item as a plot hook so that he could take some PrC early. The problem is... I don't know what PrC to go for.

Does anybody have any ideas about what PrCs I can enter early with some extra skill ranks in Knowledge(Dungeoneering), Spellcraft, and/or Knowledge(The Planes) (don't forget generic Knowledge(X) or X ranks in Y number of skills requirements!)?

exelsisxax
2017-05-16, 11:48 AM
You are looking for a solution that begs a problem. How about:

1. find the PrC you want
2. Ask your DM if you can enter with lower skill reqs

Done.

Florian
2017-05-16, 11:50 AM
Athath, sorry to have to ask, but that sounds like a veteran 3.5 player question when invited to a PF game.

Are you sure that this is your question or do we talk about the possibilities in an E6 game?