PDA

View Full Version : I think that I'm That Player

Jon_Dahl
2017-05-16, 03:55 AM
Out of whim, I decided to join a Skype/roll20.net game a few weeks ago. But the thing is that I'm very busy and stressed out at the moment. I'm waiting for the final grade for my BA thesis, I will start a new course this week that is rumored to be very difficult (I don't trust those rumors, though) and I have to submit three essays by the end of this month, 27 pages in total plus bibliographies. I have about six pages right now.

What happens is that we start playing but mostly I end up revising my current essay draft, reading books (I have six) and making notes. I hardly ever say anything during the sessions. I'm not sure what happens during the sessions or what the plot is. So far, I haven't understood almost anything about the game and I don't remember the other PCs. I have gained two levels and got some loot, but I haven't updated my character sheet and I haven't written the loot down. I don't think I'm willing to do anything about any of this, but I'm not sure.

All in all, the game seems to be going ok. I haven't encountered any problems so far. Other players (and their PCs) talk and interact a lot and they don't require my input, basically ever. I just roll attack rolls when requested during combats.

Feel free to comment but in any case, I think I'm That Player.

Florian
2017-05-16, 04:44 AM
Happens and no, youīre not.

"That Gamer" is along for the social activity and entertainment, and thatīs it. It actually doesnīt matter if thatīs RPG, cinema, an all-night TV series session (House of Cards marathon, yeah!), itīs about being there and not being bored all alone.

You have a clear priority. Your BA now, maybe MA later and Ph.D. after that. Thatīs a conflict of commitment as you only have that-and-that much time and capacity.

ComaVision
2017-05-16, 10:52 AM
You should leave the game though.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-16, 10:58 AM
Ehh... it's understandable and not terribly disruptive, but it definitely sounds like you don't have time for the game right now. Make your excuses and take a leave of absence, or bow out altogether.

Florian
2017-05-16, 11:05 AM
Iīve got the feeling where this is leading. You can be a passive player with or without a capital "P" to it, something to try to avoid and bow out of a game when you notice you do it.

Frankly, thereīre roles you could fulfill as a passive player, like playing a serious Oradin build or a good CAGM Barbarian. Beyond that, going serious "P"assive is a no-go for every game.

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-16, 11:35 AM
What are your papers on? I could probably knock out a rough draft.

Jon_Dahl
2017-05-16, 01:45 PM
What are your papers on? I could probably knock out a rough draft.

I think that the hardest one is to re-create the Council of Chalcedon with Barnabas, Clement of Alexandria, Ignatius of Antioch, Meliton, Irenaeus, Justin Martyr, Tertullianus, Arius, Athanasios, Apollinaris, Theodore of Mopsuestia, Nestorius, Cyril of Alexandria and Saint Patrick where they have a 12-page debate over the ontology of the person of Jesus and they must draw a final conclusion and declaration of the matter. I have two other essays as well that I'm writing here. Anyone expert in koineization?

Mikemical
2017-05-16, 01:57 PM
IRL responsibilities come before anything else. I say you should tell your group about this and ask if they can allow your character to do some idle work while you're focusing on your papers(carpentry, hunting for meat, smithing, craft stuff, work as a sailor, etc).

If they agree, your character doesn't get Chuck Cunningam Syndrome(or picked up by aliens/crushed by a falling piano/slip on the bath tub and break his neck/wander off after a crazy night of drinking to parts unknown) and you can resume playing with them once you're free, albeit you'll need to catch up with them.

If they don't, leave the game, finish your paper, find another group; if they don't have empathy for something like this/don't see how this is a priority for you, you're on the road for a very bad experience.

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-16, 03:00 PM
I think that the hardest one is to re-create the Council of Chalcedon with Barnabas, Clement of Alexandria, Ignatius of Antioch, Meliton, Irenaeus, Justin Martyr, Tertullianus, Arius, Athanasios, Apollinaris, Theodore of Mopsuestia, Nestorius, Cyril of Alexandria and Saint Patrick where they have a 12-page debate over the ontology of the person of Jesus and they must draw a final conclusion and declaration of the matter. I have two other essays as well that I'm writing here. Anyone expert in koineization?

Koineization is a separate essay, right? I would delve into syncretic cultures as well as that school for the deaf in central America where kids developed an entire syntax of a sign language from the pieces that they learned from their home country. Pair that with the critical period humans have to develop languages at all, and how devastating isolation and child abuse affects the max vocab in number of words of those kids. You should be able to find a source that suggests that geneflow of mutations are approximately in sync with changes in phonemes of language.

As to the religious ontology play, I don't think that I can serve your best interests very well from my personal cynical nontheist POV.

Jon_Dahl
2017-05-16, 03:31 PM
Koineization is a separate essay, right? I would delve into syncretic cultures as well as that school for the deaf in central America where kids developed an entire syntax of a sign language from the pieces that they learned from their home country. Pair that with the critical period humans have to develop languages at all, and how devastating isolation and child abuse affects the max vocab in number of words of those kids. You should be able to find a source that suggests that geneflow of mutations are approximately in sync with changes in phonemes of language.

As to the religious ontology play, I don't think that I can serve your best interests very well from my personal cynical nontheist POV.

Yes, it is a separate essay. I haven't considered the deaf before... I have to think about that. Thanks. And oh, haha, cynical nontheism is no obstacle in christological studies! Just imagine that it's a D&D god and that's all. I bet you could write about the ontology of Asmodeus and St. Cuthbert, so your cynicism etc. means nothing in this case. But will I argue about this with you? No way!

Quertus
2017-05-16, 03:48 PM
You should leave the game though.

Ehh... it's understandable and not terribly disruptive, but it definitely sounds like you don't have time for the game right now. Make your excuses and take a leave of absence, or bow out altogether.

... Really? If he's not being disruptive, why leave?

I mean, sure, if his presence was a detriment to the game, or the game was a detriment to his studies, by all means, leave. But I want getting that vibe here (admittedly, the glare of the Sun on my phone means I may have missed the otherwise obvious).

Florian
2017-05-16, 04:02 PM

Da. And thatīs it, when talking about a social game with or without a competitive component.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-16, 04:23 PM

I mean, sure, if his presence was a detriment to the game, or the game was a detriment to his studies, by all means, leave. But I want getting that vibe here (admittedly, the glare of the Sun on my phone means I may have missed the otherwise obvious).
They admit that they have no idea what's going on and that they don't contribute aside from making the occasional attack. It's not disrupting anything (significantly, at least; I can imagine combat gets a bit slower), but it doesn't sound like it's fun for them, or for the other people involved.

ComaVision
2017-05-16, 04:51 PM
I think a disengaged player detracts from a game without being explicitly disruptive.

Why would you stay in a game where you have no idea what's going at all, you don't contribute, and you'd rather read textbooks?

Jon_Dahl
2017-05-17, 01:25 AM
I think a disengaged player detracts from a game without being explicitly disruptive.

Why would you stay in a game where you have no idea what's going at all, you don't contribute, and you'd rather read textbooks?

I don't know. I think it's because I joined the game and now I have to be in it.

GilesTheCleric
2017-05-17, 09:47 AM
From the perspective of the group that may not know or understand why you're not contributing a lot, I don't see it as a problem. Everyone is comfortable with different levels of interaction; some players prefer particular aspects of the game, and will only participate during those. Others just aren't the type of people to speak up often or to try and change the goal of the group.

From your perspective, though, you do know why you're not participating. You can make the decision to leave the group if you know that you won't be able to really participate. Should you? I would think yes, since then the group can find another player who might get more out of the game. If listening in on dnd instead of Netflix or music or a LP is what you enjoy, and the group doesn't mind, then staying makes sense. Do know that there's plenty of dnd LPs you could listen to if it's dnd specifically that you enjoy.