PDA

View Full Version : Master of Chains

Blackplaga
2017-05-16, 04:47 AM
Sooooo my group thinks that using the 5th level ability the Double Chain makes it a full and true double weapon . . . . So I would have to get both ends of the weapon enchanted.

Double Chain: At 5th level, the master of chains can chose to use a spiked chain as a double weapon instead of a weapon with reach. (each round, he can switch how he uses it.)

Now do you think thats right? Should I have to get the weapon enchanted for each end like a normal double weapon? What happens to the enchantment when I start using it as a normal reach weapon?

Florian
2017-05-16, 04:55 AM
Hm. This is an old 3.0 PrC, right?

Itīs right then. Once you treat it like a double weapon, all rules for this apply and you have to enchant both "ends" of it. This again means that you have to stick to the basic double weapon rules when you want to make a TH attack, so pick one "end" and use that.

Blackplaga
2017-05-16, 05:55 AM
But that makes that class feature soooooo garbage!!! And also makes no sense with the weapon! So what do I attack with only one end of the weapon whenever I'm fighting with it normally? Cause otherwise both ends are enchanted normally! How does the weapon normally get used if both ends aren't already enchanted? Like I know Haft Strike is using the haft of a pole arm and isn't enchanted for its attack . . . But that's using a completely different part of the weapon. This is still using the weapons blades that are enchanted you're just using them differently.

lord_khaine
2017-05-16, 06:39 AM
Double Chain: At 5th level, the master of chains can chose to use a spiked chain as a double weapon instead of a weapon with reach. (each round, he can switch how he uses it.)

I do agree on that having to enchant both ends would swiftly get dumb.
To start with the ability specify that you can Chose to Use it as a double weapon, not that it becomes a double weapon.
And it is not a double weapon, it does not have the double weapon special rule, so you cant enchant the other end. There is no double end to enchant, it would be the same as wanting to enchant a regular longsword to be both +1 holy and +1 unholy.

Florian
2017-05-16, 07:26 AM
But that makes that class feature soooooo garbage!!! And also makes no sense with the weapon! So what do I attack with only one end of the weapon whenever I'm fighting with it normally? Cause otherwise both ends are enchanted normally! How does the weapon normally get used if both ends aren't already enchanted? Like I know Haft Strike is using the haft of a pole arm and isn't enchanted for its attack . . . But that's using a completely different part of the weapon. This is still using the weapons blades that are enchanted you're just using them differently.

*Shrugs*

Going over to TWF simply changes the rules.

Jack_McSnatch
2017-05-16, 09:18 AM

Not really? You still get extra attacks as long as you're adjacent, but seeing as you built for master of chains, you probably aren't built for TWF, therefore the feature does exactly what it's supposed to do. Give you an extra attack against an adjacent enemy.

If you want to change your focus all of the sudden A) you'll definitely want bonus feats, be they from fighter, martial rogue, or psychic warrior. TWF is very feat intensive, and B) you're gonna have to deal with the downsides of TWF, like needing to enchant both ends of the weapon. As to it not making sense, a chain is made up of multiple individual links. Have you ever thought that maybe it isn't the entire chain that's enchanted, but just a few key links that are meant as the Striking end?

What are your feats and classes anyway? There's so many ways to go with the chain, and unless you have, say, sneak attack, then TWF just isn't worth it.

Blackplaga
2017-05-17, 03:57 AM
I do agree on that having to enchant both ends would swiftly get dumb.
To start with the ability specify that you can Chose to Use it as a double weapon, not that it becomes a double weapon.
And it is not a double weapon, it does not have the double weapon special rule, so you cant enchant the other end. There is no double end to enchant, it would be the same as wanting to enchant a regular longsword to be both +1 holy and +1 unholy.

THANK YOU! OH MY GOODNESS never really put it into thought of how exactly that would be! I get stuck on the weirdest of hooks with thoughts at time! Its exactly like your'e example the weapon is already a +2 spiked chain there is no refuting that. I just use it in a different manner and unlike haft strike im not making an attack with a new part of the weapon im essentially attacking with both sides of that longsword. It would be like using a weapon that split in half but only I could split it in half. So using the longsword with that example the enchanter wouldnt understand how to enchant both sides separately because they dont have the class feature much less they enchant it all the way to begin with. Another excellent example, now that im thinking about it, is magic gloves. They dont function without you having both of them.