PDA

View Full Version : Half Orc Barbarian Character Optimization

Grnmtnboy
2017-05-16, 07:05 AM
So I started playing d&d for the first time a couple months ago and I'm hooked. I decided to make a Half-Orc Barbarian as other classes spell lists looked daunting at the time. I'm almost level 4 and was planning to do a feat for some extra flavor as I rolled well for my character. I do plan on maxing Con and putting another point in Dex in the future.

I have 20str, 13dex, 18con, 11wis, 11int, 13cha

I was thinking of getting Orcish Fury, Great Weapons Master, or Fell Handed but I simply do not know how any of these will play out and was looking for some advise. I'm not married to any of these and I welcome any other suggestions. If it helps, in my group I'm the off-tank and the primary damage dealer.

Another question, is it better to use a weapon that is 1d10+1 or 1d12? I just got the Hew and have yet to use it.

Saiga
2017-05-16, 07:20 AM
Great Weapon Master is excellent, though it won't work with versatile weapons which is why heavy weapons are usually better.

1d10+1 is about the same as 1d12, except without the above feat synergy. One option using a versatile weapon allows is occasionally using your off-hand to grapple and still being able to attack, which can be fun. I would consider the Brawny feat as an option to give you improved athletics (only if you are already proficient in athletics - otherwise not worth it). Grappling, carrying enemies around the battlefield, and shoving prone can all be really fun and give you more options beyond just hitting things.

If you're not going down that route, I'd say just stick to the 1d12 Great Axe and get Heavy Weapon Master for a big damage increase.

nickl_2000
2017-05-16, 07:28 AM
Another question, is it better to use a weapon that is 1d10+1 or 1d12? I just got the Hew and have yet to use it.

This would depend on the weapon. If you are talking about a Magic Weapon that is 1d10+1 verses a non magic weapon at 1d12, the magic weapon is better to use. The damage average is exactly the same for everything but crits, however your chance to hit is better. Plus, you will be starting to run into things that have resistance to non-magical weapons.

However, this is still dependent on what weapons they are, and how they work with other feats and play style you have.

MrFahrenheit
2017-05-16, 07:29 AM
So I started playing d&d for the first time a couple months ago and I'm hooked. I decided to make a Half-Orc Barbarian as other classes spell lists looked daunting at the time. I'm almost level 4 and was planning to do a feat for some extra flavor as I rolled well for my character. I do plan on maxing Con and putting another point in Dex in the future.

I have 20str, 13dex, 18con, 11wis, 11int, 13cha

I was thinking of getting Orcish Fury, Great Weapons Master, or Fell Handed but I simply do not know how any of these will play out and was looking for some advise. I'm not married to any of these and I welcome any other suggestions. If it helps, in my group I'm the off-tank and the primary damage dealer.

That's some lucky stat rolling!!!

My advice:
Bump dex and cha at your first ASI (dex is more important since you'll want medium armor, but since they're both odd numbers, the boost to intimidation from cha won't hurt).

You'll want GWM no matter what. As for 1d10 vs 1d12...I'd only suggest the former if you plan to pick up a halberd and the PAM feat. If so, you'll likely want sentinel for your 19th level ASI/feat. But it's not a requirement.

You'll want resilient: wisdom somewhere along the way, especially since wis is currently an odd number.

Edit: welcome to the game! I realized I should spell out the acronyms...ASI=ability score improvement, GWM=great weapon master, and PAM= polearm master.

Grnmtnboy
2017-05-16, 07:52 AM
GWM is that strong at level 4 even if I'm taking the -5 to hit? Also, this feat blows Orcish Fury and Fell Handed out of the water? Seems to be the impression I'm getting.

The 1d10+1 is magic so that's interesting about resistances and how it doesn't work with GWM because it's versatile.

I'll add in by stating that I want to pigeon hole my character as being a brute for fighting and not much else. I tend to dominate combat and I let the rest of my party do the talking as I want them to have their own strengths. Our poor sorcerer has been incapacitated 4 times and has already been resurrected by his god from him getting obliterated by a dragon's breath.

Specter
2017-05-16, 07:54 AM
You can't go wrong with Great Weapon Master. Especially since you already have 20STR and can Reckless Attack for advantage. Just don't get reckless with too many enemies threatening you.

Another good option is Resilient (Wis), unless you're going for Berserker.

nickl_2000
2017-05-16, 07:59 AM
GWM is that strong at level 4 even if I'm taking the -5 to hit? Also, this feat blows Orcish Fury and Fell Handed out of the water? Seems to be the impression I'm getting.

The 1d10+1 is magic so that's interesting about resistances and how it doesn't work with GWM because it's versatile.

I'll add in by stating that I want to pigeon hole my character as being a brute for fighting and not much else. I tend to dominate combat and I let the rest of my party do the talking as I want them to have their own strengths. Our poor sorcerer has been incapacitated 4 times and has already been resurrected by his god from him getting obliterated by a dragon's breath.

This is why it doesn't work with a versitial weapon

Before you make a melee attack with a heavy weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a - 5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack’s
damage
A heavy weapon is a weapon with the heavy property. A versatility weapon doesn't have the heavy property.

The lack of love for Orcish fury vs GWM is simply the amount of uses. Orcish Fury gives you +1 str or Con, which won't give you a boost and 2 actions per short rest. GWM can be used in every single attack and it gives you a bonus actions when you kill someone. Fell Handed vs GWM depends on your party and your play style. If you have a Ranged rogue in your party that you are often using a Help action on it would be good, and it's good if you find a way to get advantage a lot. It really depends on your style.

khachaturian
2017-05-16, 08:24 AM
It is sometimes hard to comment on builds which have phenomenal stats that are not 27 point buy or elite array, because on a certain level, you aren't really playing the game as designed.

That being said, it seems that the barbarian class is written to use GWM, rage, and reckless attack during any battle where resources are meant to be expended. As other posters have commented, reckless attack negates the -5, and rage mitigates damage. To a certain extent, for those fights, your AC really matters a lot less, as you are expected to get hit, but you are so tough that you just shrug it off.

Saiga
2017-05-16, 09:18 AM
It is sometimes hard to comment on builds which have phenomenal stats that are not 27 point buy or elite array, because on a certain level, you aren't really playing the game as designed.

Rolling stats is the default method from the PHB, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

N810
2017-05-16, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't under estimate Fell Handed,
also GWM only pays off when your opponents
AC is under 16 or so. (depending bonuses to hit)

Also you are a barbarian why do you need to settle on
only one weapon ? You should be a walking arsenal.

Ps. rolling for stats is even the default option.

khachaturian
2017-05-16, 12:47 PM
Rolling stats is the default method from the PHB, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

yes, but the chances of actually rolling these stats by the player's handbook method of 4d6 drop lowest x6 is less than 1%. why don't we ever see people asking for advice on builds with rolled stats of 13, 12, 11, 11, 6, 5. especially with bounded accuracy, it makes for a very different game, and there's a reason why elite array and 27 point buy are the only accepted methods of stat generation in adventurer's league

N810
2017-05-16, 01:59 PM
Perhaps it's because people who take chances don't tend to ask for advise ?

Lonely Tylenol
2017-05-16, 05:05 PM

Yes, especially because you're a Barbarian and especially because of your above-average to-hit with 20 Strength. Reckless Attack gives you always-on advantage whenever you wouldn't have it otherwise, and advantage throws the curve in a really big way in favor of Great Weapon Master.

yes, but the chances of actually rolling these stats by the player's handbook method of 4d6 drop lowest x6 is less than 1%. why don't we ever see people asking for advice on builds with rolled stats of 13, 12, 11, 11, 6, 5. especially with bounded accuracy, it makes for a very different game, and there's a reason why elite array and 27 point buy are the only accepted methods of stat generation in adventurer's league

Because the game makes (or at least used to make) the assumption that any build with a net modifier of less than +5 could be rerolled.

bid
2017-05-16, 05:26 PM
Perhaps it's because people who take chances don't tend to ask for advise ?
Let me advise you: anyone can ask for advice.

GlenSmash!
2017-05-16, 06:15 PM
I'm of the opinion that Barbarians should be using Reckless Attack just about every chance they get. For that reason I really like both GWM and Fell Handed. Get both. I'd us the Greataxe for the biggest possible Crit numbers.

You'll want to get that dex to 14 for Max AC in Medium Armor, even though you have the stats for Unarmored AC, you never know what good Magic armor will drop.

You'll want to get that Wisdom up to 12, Resilient: Wisdom is a great way to do that.

That's all I would do to Maximize this Barb, everything else is up to you to customize him.