PDA

View Full Version : Help me with this problem

huyneo
2007-08-01, 02:56 PM
I need to find a way to be able to critical undead.
If you find a feat or something like that, please give prerequisites.

Kurald Galain
2007-08-01, 03:00 PM
Gravestrike spell, iirc.

blue_fenix
2007-08-01, 03:00 PM
Why is it so critical (he he!) that you be able to do this? Only thing I can think of is the disruptive (i think that's it) weapon enhancement that adds damage against undead, or just bane(undead). I'm sure somebody somewhere has made a way to sneak attack undead, it just might not be in official material.

magicwalker
2007-08-01, 03:04 PM
Isn't there a Ranger variant where you can apply Precision damage to Favored Enemies?

Edot: I guess I don't know if that applies to critical hits as well.

huyneo
2007-08-01, 03:04 PM
oh because my friend has a tottally crazy buckets BBEG that he told us is undead. and he also said that we are screwed unless we are able to kill him in 1 round, this dude kinda sucks... So i found in the SC that allows me to auto crit my favored enemies..(Gestalt ranger 19/ wizard 20 and Pious templar 1)
Oh and gravestrike only allows you to sneak attack

Arang
2007-08-01, 03:07 PM
There's a crystal or somesuch that you can stick on a weapon. It's not core, and I have no books, so I can't say for sure, but it's been a matter of discussion a few times.

tainsouvra
2007-08-01, 03:07 PM
my friend has a tottally crazy buckets BBEG that he told us is undead. and he also said that we are screwed unless we are able to kill him in 1 round, this dude kinda sucks I agree, this dude shouldn't be DMing in the first place.

huyneo
2007-08-01, 03:09 PM
well, he just kinda wants to own us with his made up creature based on castlevania

Person_Man
2007-08-01, 03:29 PM
Skullclan Hunter PrC from the Miniature's Handbook lets you deal Sneak Attack vs. any undead. If your DM is nice, he might let it deal crits as well.

Kurald Galain
2007-08-01, 03:51 PM
If you have to take it down in one round, what makes you so sure you're going to roll a crit in the first place? You might not even get a full attack that round.

Telonius
2007-08-01, 04:10 PM
Silvered weapons help. For a fighter, there are some strategies that allow you to make your next attack a touch attack. Do so, and full power attack (Preferably with a Blessed weapon). Cleric, get a Celerity item, maybe a Belt of Battle, and cast a couple of Heals. Don't worry about being next to it, you're dead if it goes anyway. Rogue, Gravestrike or Truedeath Crystal and sneak attack it. Wizard ... do some wizardy Save or Suck spell.

Dark_Wind
2007-08-01, 04:39 PM
Wait a second. You need to take down an undead in one round. An undead creature. In one round. Before you go any further, does anyone in your group have disintigrate? If not, can they get it?

If the answer to either of the above questions is "yes", then that's your best bet, right there.

tainsouvra
2007-08-01, 04:43 PM
well, he just kinda wants to own us with his made up creature based on castlevania I think that pretty much proves the point. Being a DM isn't supposed to be about WTFPWNing the players in one round and gloating over it.

huyneo
2007-08-01, 05:06 PM
ok to answer Kurald, there is a spell in the spell compendium that allows you to automaticly critical all favored enemies.
That spell is awsome.
Darkwind, disintigrate is pretty awsome but his is most likely gonna have something to counter that, but wouldn't hurt to try.
And he just wants to see if me and my friend can beat it.

RandomNPC
2007-08-01, 07:12 PM
go to the store and get a fish. play the best you can. if you mannage to die and the DM gloats big time, slap said DM with said fish.

if you've got a cleric 20 anywhere a turn undead may work to fear it and make it curl up in the corner.

pally? smite evil

any melee fighter, take blunt weapons, skeletons and whatnot have dr that blunt weapons overcome, make it something sweet, like a +5 undead bane, holy, dancing, brilliant energy, vorpal (it might have a head), epic silly weapon. or just get a +1 holy greatclub, yea know, if you don't have 500,000 gold for a silly weapon.

call up St. Cuthburt or Pelor for help? or St. Cuthburt and Pelor?

cody.burton
2007-08-01, 07:26 PM
call up St. Cuthburt or Pelor for help? or St. Cuthburt and Pelor?

If you have a bard in the party this works a very reasonable levels.

Bassetking
2007-08-01, 07:40 PM
If he's bringing in a Crazybuckets BBEG, ask if you can bring in your own heavy artillery.

My personal response would be to bring in the 1d2 Crusader (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=855878), but, under the circumstances, The Word and the Wish, The UberCharger, or Supermount wouldn't be amiss.

I only recommend the Crusader as, well, It's my baby.

Yakk
2007-08-01, 08:38 PM
I agree -- 1d2 Crusader is the way to go.

Gauntlet is clearly the style solution -- do a back-hand slap them for infinite damage! I mean, that is style points.

Worst that happens is the DM rules that it doesn't work that way, and you say "OK, then I lose".

Spend the rest of your levels on abilities that let you close with the target rapidly. Ideally you want to be able to activate the Luck effect (Ie, cast a heal spell), teleport or otherwise move quickly a long distance, and attack in a single round.