PDA

View Full Version : racial feat for tabaxi?

Spiritchaser
2017-05-16, 09:01 AM
I'm starting everyone out with either a racial or a skill feat (their choice). Existing characters get one when they next level up.

I don't have any yuan ti to worry about (yet) but I do have a tabaxi

I have some ideas:

9 lives: When damage reduces you to 0 HP, you may make a DC X constitution or charisma saving throw to instead drop to 1 HP. You may use this ability once per long rest, and only 8 times ever, though powerful magic such as a wish spell could restore them.

Fast paws: Add one to dexterity. When you use your reaction to make a melee attack with a weapon or natural weapons, you make that attack at advantage.

Curiosity: you are proficient in investigation. If you are already proficient, you may double your proficiency bonus. Your passive investigation skill increases by an additional 5

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Beechgnome
2017-05-16, 09:10 AM
This one is sort of a variation of one I came up with for Kenku. (Which I called light as a feather)

Cat's grace

Increase your dexterity by one.

You may use your dexterity or your dexterity bonus instead of your strength, when determining how far or how high you can jump.

You have resistance to damage from falling and take no damage from a fall of ten feet or less.

jleonardwv
2017-05-16, 10:31 AM
I think using the curiosity skill should trigger one use of nine lives.

Everstar
2017-05-16, 11:02 AM
I'm starting everyone out with either a racial or a skill feat (their choice).

I would limit them to skill feats (there are plenty the choose from) rather than making up a new feat.

Beelzebubba
2017-05-16, 11:15 AM
Nothing On A Shelf Is Safe:

Due to your jerk attitude and practice knocking stuff off of shelves, you roll with advantage whenever you want to shove an opponent off of a wall.

:smallbiggrin:

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-16, 11:31 AM
These all sound fine to me. 9 lives sounds pretty strong but there are lots of ways in d&d to make death meaningless anyway. Unless the person playing the tabaxi is going to try to min/max or something I don't think I'd worry about it

Spiritchaser
2017-05-16, 11:41 AM
Nothing On A Shelf Is Safe:

Due to your jerk attitude and practice knocking stuff off of shelves, you roll with advantage whenever you want to shove an opponent off of a wall.

:smallbiggrin:

Its funny but I actually considered a spray marking feat for about 2 seconds...

Vaz
2017-05-16, 11:46 AM
Fast Paws means that any opportunity attack gains Sneak Attack if they're a rogue as a potential abuse. Admittedly, it's one a turn though. There's no such thing as Passive Investigation.

Beelzebubba
2017-05-16, 11:50 AM
Its funny but I actually considered a spray marking feat for about 2 seconds...

Hah. In all seriousness, I could see something just by mashing up pieces of other existing feats.

Like grabbing a little from Alert, a little from Perceptive:

Cat's Senses
Dim light doesn’t impose disadvantage on your Wisdom (Perception) checks relying on sight.
Other creatures don’t gain advantage on attack rolls against you as a result of being hidden from you.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-16, 11:51 AM
Fast Paws means that any opportunity attack gains Sneak Attack if they're a rogue as a potential abuse. Admittedly, it's one a turn though. There's no such thing as Passive Investigation.

There is. The observant feat gives you a +5 to passive investigation. No one officially know what that means but I use it to let players detect and understand simple traps without rolling

Vaz
2017-05-16, 11:53 AM
There is. The observant feat gives you a +5 to passive investigation. No one officially know what that means but I use it to let players detect and understand simple traps without rolling

Ironically enough, never noticed that on the Observant feat.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-16, 12:24 PM
Ironically enough, never noticed that on the Observant feat.

Lol perfect

plisnithus7
2017-05-16, 02:53 PM
Thoughts? Suggestions?

I came up with racial feats a couple of months before the UA came out:
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByQW2Dtnx

Here are the Tabaxi ones:

Climbing Expert
- You gain a +10 to your climbing speed when using your claws.
- You land on your feet, gaining resistance to falling damage from a fall of 30 feet or less or when there is a vertical surface within 5 feet of you.

Double Swipe
- You train extensively with your claws. They count as light finesse weapons. You can use them for two-weapon fighting as one attack action.
- If you are using your claws while holding nothing in either hand, both sets of claws add your Dexterity or Strength modifier for damage.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-05-17, 10:59 PM
Tabaxi: Feline athletics: +1 strength and can pounce. When a tabaxi uses feline agility and moves at least 20 ft. straight toward a creature and hits with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a strength saving throw vs. athletics or be knocked prone. If the target is prone can make another claw attack as a bonus action.

I put 1 per short/long rest but being situational and MAD I could see it being unlimited