PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man: Please forgive me for Civil War

Jibar
2007-08-01, 03:13 PM
So, Comic Con was just round the corner and they had an exclusive trailer.
This is usually the part where I would link to said trailer, but Paramount are cracking down on people uploading it, so I don't wanna supply you with something that'll be a dead link in a few days.
But, well, it's Iron Man. Pre-Civil War Iron Man to boot.
This trailer showed Tony Stark, a couple glimpses of the main suit and a sorta of pre-Iron suit, like this'n (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ToS39.jpg). Jarvis, the Mandarin, Nick Fury, it's all there apparantly.
I don't know what more you can say really, but, well, it's Iron Man. There are many ways they could mess this up. Many many ways, but, well, it's Iron Man.

bosssmiley
2007-08-01, 03:36 PM
Jib', the youthful triumph of hope over experience you display warms my cold, dead heart. I sincerely hope you are not disappointed in Iron Man on its release.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to hibernate until "Beowulf (http://www.beowulfmovie.com/)" is released.
(a Beowulf co-written by Neil Gaiman, featuring Hannibal Lector, Lara Croft and him from "Scum"; even in failing it will be epic!)

FdL
2007-08-01, 05:22 PM
I hope it's good, it could be a cool superhero movie if they don't screw it up.

BTW, Civil War was awful IMHO. When they do these broad crossovers which are supposed to be universe-shaking, they end up playing a lot of the characters in wrong ways, for the sake of the "plot". And mostly they are done to bunch a large number of characters together, which means they can't focus on any. For me Civil War was a big mistake, a big embarassing crossover in the style of DC.

tape_measure
2007-08-01, 08:25 PM
ooooh! A real iron man movie? Not another Marvel cartoon move?

It makes me tingle.

Ok, so teh beowulf helped a bit, but the thought of Mandarin coming to life is something I can fall asleep to tonight. Thanks!

Hushdawg
2007-08-01, 08:31 PM
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to hibernate until "Beowulf (http://www.beowulfmovie.com/)" is released.
(a Beowulf co-written by Neil Gaiman, featuring Hannibal Lector, Lara Croft and him from "Scum"; even in failing it will be epic!)

How can a movie feature fictional characters?

Hopefully you mean Anthony Hopkins, Angelina Jolie and some other actor.. I have no idea who "him" from "Scum" could be.

I have my own reservations For the Iron Man movie.. mostly the actors involved.

I really don't like Robert Downey, Jr.

Although I am amused that Nick Fury is being portrayed by Samuel L Jackson as predicted in the Ultimates comic book.

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-08-01, 08:38 PM
Although I am amused that Nick Fury is being portrayed by Samuel L Jackson as predicted in the Ultimates comic book.
Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury...? That is either the best or the worst casting decision ever made on a comic-based film, and I have no idea which it is.

However, since I'm a Samuel L Jackson fan, I suspect I'll enjoy the results.

North
2007-08-01, 08:45 PM
Ooh I saw the Iron Man footage that was leaked from the comiccon I think.

I hate Iron Man in the comics.

I love Iron Man in the movie tho.

Hot! AND Damn!

FdL
2007-08-01, 08:56 PM
Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury...? That is either the best or the worst casting decision ever made on a comic-based film, and I have no idea which it is.

Hmm...Kinda like the actor who plays Kingpin in Daredevil, or Alba in FF. That is, well enough played but were really odd choices.

Pwenet
2007-08-01, 09:10 PM
I saw a copy of the trailer for the movie.

I am very much IMPRESSED! I had reservations about the movie, but seeing the trailer relieved many of them.

Besides, having Black Sabbath "Iron Man" playing in the background of some of the scenes, the trailer seems to capture the essence of the characters. Plus apparently all the Iron Man scenes except for those involving flight actually have a actor in a suit, and those scenes looked EXCELLENT!

As for Samuel L Jackson being Nick Fury, Jackson gave the people behind the Ultimates line of comics permission to use his likeness, so I'm glad they are using him (could be work, could be David Hasseloff reprising that role).

Besides, watching Iron Man break the sound barrier at the end, beautiful.

Finally there is this little gem:
"I prefer the weapon that you only have to fire ONCE. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it, and its worked out pretty well so far." Tony Stark, from the trailer.

FdL
2007-08-01, 09:39 PM
Besides, having Black Sabbath "Iron Man" playing in the background of some of the scenes,
*snip*

Oh, looks like they got the think tanks out on this one. They are coming with really brilliant ideas! :p

Finally there is this little gem:
"I prefer the weapon that you only have to fire ONCE. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it, and its worked out pretty well so far." Tony Stark, from the trailer.

(highlight is mine)

:S

What does he mean with "that's how America does it"? If they're talking about the nuclear bomb, it sucks big time. Otherwise it's just lame.

Pwenet
2007-08-01, 10:39 PM
Oh, looks like they got the think tanks out on this one. They are coming with really brilliant ideas! :p

(highlight is mine)

:S

What does he mean with "that's how America does it"? If they're talking about the nuclear bomb, it sucks big time. Otherwise it's just lame.

It's a scene from when Tony Stark is showing off his latest weapons system near the beginning of the Trailer.

And common, how many movies do things worse than having some music in the movie that goes along with the plot (granted the song is not about the character, but using it is a nice touch)

FdL
2007-08-01, 11:06 PM
And common, how many movies do things worse than having some music in the movie that goes along with the plot (granted the song is not about the character, but using it is a nice touch)

Heh, I think it's a little too obvious :) I can picture the creatives' brainstorming session in my mind. This was probably in from the very first draft :p

Pwenet
2007-08-01, 11:19 PM
Heh, I think it's a little too obvious :) I can picture the creatives' brainstorming session in my mind. This was probably in from the very first draft :p

Probably, I give you that. But in the scene that they had it in, worked perfectly in my humble opinion.

Sometimes the first and obvious idea is the best after all.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-08-02, 04:42 AM
This trailer showed Tony Stark, a couple glimpses of the main suit and a sorta of pre-Iron suit, like this'n (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ToS39.jpg).

That's Iron Man's old suit before he painted it yellow and then swapped it for the iconic red and yellow one.

Apparently the actual Iron coloured Iron Man was too scary to be a super hero.

Someone should tell that to Batman.

Turcano
2007-08-02, 05:37 AM
BTW, Civil War was awful IMHO. When they do these broad crossovers which are supposed to be universe-shaking, they end up playing a lot of the characters in wrong ways, for the sake of the "plot". And mostly they are done to bunch a large number of characters together, which means they can't focus on any. For me Civil War was a big mistake, a big embarassing crossover in the style of DC.

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/3777/crossoverspg1.jpg

tetsubo
2007-08-02, 06:49 AM
here is a link from Marvel displaying various pics of the Iron Man Suite http://www.marvel.com/news/moviestories.1354.Iron_Man_Triumphant_at_Comic-Con_2007

tape_measure
2007-08-02, 04:05 PM
I made a comment about people complaining about comic movies somewhere...in some thread...some time ago. It went a little something like "We should be thankful that the comic world is growing this far," depending on the day it could have been a lot more harsh :smallredface:

I still think that holds true. I feel about the same as FdL about some of the prior casting calls made. Alba wasn't the perfect image of Susan Storm (damned close :smallamused: )....that big guy (who I always forget his name) as Kingpin, hell even Toby McDumbass as Peter Parker wasn't my first, but I'm not making the movie. Nor is anyone else...unless that really is you, Stan Lee, and you're hiding yourself well...

After looking at the Iron Man suit shots, I've got to find this trailer soon. The anticipation is killing me. Personally, I like seeing Stan standing in front of the suit. I'd image it's a dream come true for him to see he's hard work and (how many years) dedication coming to life, or at least really close.

FdL
2007-08-02, 05:36 PM
It seems as if the Hollywood people are actually entirely avoiding casting people who would traditionally suit the characters. That seems to be the norm, but I think it's plain wrong. Because it's not like with each film they're making the equivalent to Burton's Batman... :p

I also couldn't believe how lame Halle Berry was as Storm...It didn't sound so bad, but she dozed through three movies while getting paid for it. Plus she looked ridiculous in the wig.

Of the latter Marvel films, IMHO Hulk was well cast (and was a good movie too). Spiderman was mostly well cast, the point of debate being the protagonist. But they pulled it off somehow. Affleck does fit Daredevil somehow, it's just a pity he's unable to express human emotions in film :p And I really don't care for Jennifer Garner as Elektra, because personally I don't think she's hot at all or can act (in fact I've considered her to be ugly as hell since I saw her in Felicity)

Comic book movies are getting shallower and more discardable...Most don't really build on anything beyond the "it's a movie about the superhero" concept. That is, they make a regular film in studio auto-pilot. At best.

So I won't be rushing to the theatres to see Iron Man, at all. Never been a fan of the comic, and it looks like it has all the potential to be seriously lame, with armamentistic/patriotic quotes and themes as shown.

Griemont
2007-08-02, 05:56 PM
LOVE it. :smallbiggrin:

Highlights: ...all of it. :smallamused:

Gametrailers.com has like 3-4 people posting the same trailer, so it'll probably stay up for a while. They shut down the one that was on Ctrl-Alt-Del, but there's another one that you can find easily by a user named 173game.

Jibar
2007-08-03, 01:32 AM
Of the latter Marvel films, IMHO Hulk was well cast (and was a good movie too).

*Ka SLAP!*

There is no Hulk movie.

Okay?

There has never been a Hulk movie.

Good, glad we go that settled.

Hushdawg
2007-08-03, 10:32 AM
*Ka SLAP!*

There is no Hulk movie.

Okay?

There has never been a Hulk movie.

Good, glad we go that settled..

Oh thank God someone else did it first.

I tend to come off nastier than I mean to when I say things like that.

The last Hulk was played by Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno. Even if it didn't follow the storyline 100% it was still enjoyable to watch and much more believable than that rediculous mish-mash of mayhem that destroyed Ang Lee's career.

ReluctantDragon
2007-08-03, 11:43 AM
>.>

<.<

Uhm...

Edward Norton is going to be in the new Incredible Hulk Movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800080/).
With Tim Roth, Liv Tyler, William Hurt...
It should be a wonderful substitute for that empty space in my memory for the year 2003.

*cough*

Nevrmore
2007-08-03, 11:44 AM
Robert Downey Jr.'s palying Stark, isn't he?

I hate Robert Downey Jr.