PDA

View Full Version : Fell Flight Speed

tedcahill2
2017-05-16, 10:13 AM
Fell Flight allows you to fly at the same speed as your land speed. Does that mean that anything that affects your land speed also affects your fly speed?

Or does it mean that it gives you a speed of Land 30ft / Fly 30ft? The difference being that some enhancements only affect land speed or fly speed.

Fizban
2017-05-16, 10:18 AM
FAQ says yes, though amusingly their examples of Haste, Slow, and encumbrance, all affect fly speeds normally regardless of the specifics of Fell Flight.

tedcahill2
2017-05-16, 12:28 PM
FAQ says yes, though amusingly their examples of Haste, Slow, and encumbrance, all affect fly speeds normally regardless of the specifics of Fell Flight.
Do you have a reference to that? I looked I. The CAr errata but it's not there.

gorfnab
2017-05-16, 12:54 PM
Most of the information regarding flying and movement is actually in the DMG, pages 19-20.
More details about Fly movement can be found here: Rules of the Game: All About Movement (Part 4) (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040629a) and Rules of the Game: All About Movement (Part 5) (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040706a)
For spells affecting Fly movement check out Rules of the Game: All About Movement (Part 7) (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040720a)

Crake
2017-05-16, 01:16 PM
When you cast the invocation, the spell checks your land speed, then gives you a flight speed equal to that. So if someone casts haste on you at the beginning of the day, then cast fell flight (which lasts 24 hours) you will have a flight speed of 60ft for the day. If you then have haste cast on you again, your flight speed will recieve a 30ft enhancement bonus, so you will fly at 90ft, and walk at 60ft.

tedcahill2
2017-05-16, 01:55 PM
When you cast the invocation, the spell checks your land speed, then gives you a flight speed equal to that. So if someone casts haste on you at the beginning of the day, then cast fell flight (which lasts 24 hours) you will have a flight speed of 60ft for the day. If you then have haste cast on you again, your flight speed will recieve a 30ft enhancement bonus, so you will fly at 90ft, and walk at 60ft.

This seems highly debatable, unless you have references. The description of fell flight says "You can fly at a speed equal to your land speed...for 24 hours."

It doesn't say it gives you a fly speed, which is sort of the point of this post. It also doesn't say what happens if your land speed changes.

The closest I can come to using a RAW approach is you gain fly with a speed that is always equal to your land speed.

On that note, I cannot take fly-by attack, because I don't have a fly speed.

Dagroth
2017-05-16, 02:52 PM
This seems highly debatable, unless you have references. The description of fell flight says "You can fly at a speed equal to your land speed...for 24 hours."

It doesn't say it gives you a fly speed, which is sort of the point of this post. It also doesn't say what happens if your land speed changes.

The closest I can come to using a RAW approach is you gain fly with a speed that is always equal to your land speed.

On that note, I cannot take fly-by attack, because I don't have a fly speed.

Actually, if you have Fell Flight active when you take the feat, you can take fly-by attack. You gain a fly speed, it just happens to be variable.

Gruftzwerg
2017-05-16, 04:42 PM
You gain a fly speed, it just happens to be variable.

This. The double Haste combo wouldn't work out. Fel Flight always checks for your land speed for the entire 24h duration. When the initial Haste wears off, your fly speed drops to your regular speed too. If you recast Haste, you get the bonus back again.
(edit: to clarify, you can't stack 2 instances of Haste movementspeed bonus, but you can double dip a single Haste spells movementspeed bonus. see below).

But Fel Flight can still double dip global movementspeed boosts (e.g Barb/Monk and some items).

Lets assume you get +30ft movementspeed bonus from monk and 30ft base speed.

land speed: 30 + 30 = 60ft

Fel Flight checks for your land speed and gives you a fly speed of 60.
Now your monk movementspeed bonus kicks in for flying and gives you another +30ft for a total of 90ft.

Fizban
2017-05-16, 04:53 PM
The FAQ, not the errata. Main35FAQv06302008, which is presumably the last one unless I somehow missed a later one when I saved it. Just google it up, download the pdf, and search for fell flight, it's at the end of page 27.