PDA

View Full Version : Guild Thief Bonus Feat

Gelcur
2017-05-16, 10:23 AM
I understand that technically the Guild Thief PrC was reprinted as Shadow Thief of Amn, there is even a typo in Shadow Thief of Amn that still refers to Guild Thief. But by RAW if I'm not mistaken Guild Thief is still valid since it did not reappear by name, and it was not renamed like Harper Scout to Harper Agent.

Now what I'm a bit confused on is some of the Bonus Feat choices have the Special section that reads:

You may only take this feat as a 1st-level character.

You may select this feat only as a 1st-level character. You may have only one regional feat.

Education is one such feat, both in its 3.0 and 3.5 version. If you take Guild Thief as 3.5 PrC using 3.5 version of the Bonus Feats offered Cosmopolitan and Street Smarts also have that Special tag at the bottom.

I understand that Bonus Feats chosen still need to meet Prerequisites and in most cases if you lose a Prerequisite the feat goes inactive till you regain it. But there is no way of taking this feat at level 1 using Guild Thief. Even if it weren't a PrC that required other classes before you can enter it. The first level a Bonus Feat is available is Guild Thief 2.

Did I find a RAW loop hole to bypass the level 1 requirement on these feats? Did I find a loop hole the bypass the 3.5 regional feat limit? Input would be welcomed.

Kaleph
2017-05-16, 10:54 AM
I'd suggest using the 3.5 version of the class, where this bug was removed. They introduced a new one, anyhow, since now Persuasive is both an entry requirement and a Bonus feat.

Alternatively, if you want the RAW Bypass, just notice that the feats given by the Guild Thief are Bonus feats (obviously), and it's not explicitly mentioned that you must fulfill the prerequisites. Also consider that, according to MM page 301, Bonus feats may be acquired by Default without any Need to qualify for it - unless explicitly mentioned otherwise, of course. Which is not the case.

Gelcur
2017-05-16, 10:55 PM
I'd suggest using the 3.5 version of the class, where this bug was removed. They introduced a new one, anyhow, since now Persuasive is both an entry requirement and a Bonus feat.
Yeah, garbage entry feat. Sort of the reason why I'm shooting to take Guild Thief instead.

Alternatively, if you want the RAW Bypass, just notice that the feats given by the Guild Thief are Bonus feats (obviously), and it's not explicitly mentioned that you must fulfill the prerequisites. Also consider that, according to MM page 301, Bonus feats may be acquired by Default without any Need to qualify for it - unless explicitly mentioned otherwise, of course. Which is not the case.
Last I knew this was still a coin toss as far as RAW went. Our group plays it that you still need to meet the prerequisites unless your a monster with the superscript. But I think I have hope in the fact that the Special text can be gotten around, especially since I've never seen anything about a feat being disabled on the account of special text.