PDA

View Full Version : Armoured Hunter (PrC)

BisectedBrioche
2007-08-01, 03:42 PM
Someone else created a class based on Link so I though I'd create one based on another Nintendo character, specifically Samus Aran from Metroid. I've tried to fit the abilities into the technology (and magic) present in normal D&D campaign settings.

Prerequisites
Con score of 15 or better
Weapon Focus feat for any one handed crossbow
Must own a suit of plate mail which they are proficient with
Must have shown mercy to the infant form of a predatory creature
To gain the first level they must pray to a god of a similar alignment (no further contact or commitment is needed) or convince a spellcaster to cast wish

Hit Die: d12

Armoured Hunter

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+1|
+0|Power Beam, Power Suit

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Breathing Apparatus

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Morph Ball

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|Missile Launcher

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2|Scan Visor, Charge Beam

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3|

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|Jump Module

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+3|Wave Beam, Varia Suit

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+4|Ice Beam

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+4|Plasma Beam

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+4|

15th|
+15+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+5|Gun Ship

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+5|

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|Gravity Suit

18th|
+18+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|

19th|
+19+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|Space Jump

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Screw Attack[/table]

An armoured hunter boasts a powerful suit of magical armour with an integrated projectile weapon. The majority of the class features come from magical additions to the armour itself. To obtain the suit (and thus take the first level in the class) the Hunter will have prayed to a god of the same alignment, or paid a wizard to cast Wish, to enchant a masterwork suit of plate mail. As a result of this members of this class tend to come from wealthy or military backgrounds who have access to such equipment. Armoured Hunters are proficient with heavy armour and all crossbows.

Power Suit The plate mail the character has enchanted grants the Hunter's class skills. If they remove it they may not access any of them until it is worn again. They may not transfer the class skills to another suit however they may have the armour itself reforged and maintain their class skills as long as it is still plate mail. The armour grants a +1 AC bonus at 5th level and an extra +1 bonus every 3 levels thereafter (to a total of +5 at level 20). If anyone but the hunter attempts to wear the armour they will find that it is too heavy for them to move in.

Power Beam This is the name given to a crossbow mounted on the armour in the place of the Hunter's hand (it does not replace the hand, it is simply worn over it). Any one handed crossbow may be mounted on the armour. This crossbow can be replaced with another crossbow, however it takes 1 hour and the hunter must remove their armour to do so (30 minutes to remove the crossbow and 30 minutes to mount the new one). None of the class features function if there is no crossbow mounted on the arm. Because the player is unable to use one hand they take the appropriate penalties, however they gain a +2 bonus to attack roles with the crossbow. They are treated as having the Rapid Reload feat even if they do not meet the prerequisites.

Breathing Apparatus The suit provides fresh air for its wearer regardless of their environment, however it also increases in weight meaning that they sink strait to the bottom of any body of water. While underwater they may move as they would on land but their rate of movement and dexterity are cut in half and they take a -10 penalty to jump checks.

Morph Ball For up to a total of 30 minutes a day the Hunter May crouch and then roll into a ball (a standard action). While in this state they are treated as a creature of one size category smaller and their movement rate is doubled. They may not take any actions apart from moving.

Missile Launcher A number of times per day equal to 5 per every 5 levels in this class a bolt fired from the crossbow may be treated as a missile as created by a magic missile spell, however it deals force damage equal to what the bolt would have done normally rather than the usual 1d4+1.

Scan Visor The suit gains a magical device which is capable of analysing the Hunter's surroundings. It constantly monitors the Hunter's environment and warns them of any potential hazards. While it isn't effective enough to detect the nature of complex traps it can detect the hazards they pose (e.g. the presence of poison, pits, hidden blades). As a result of this the Hunter is granted a +2 bonus to reflex saves, +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. A Hunter who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it. If the Hunter is an elf the bonuses do not stack.

They may also scan any object or creature. Scanning a target is a full round action however they may move while doing so as long as they keep the target in their line of sight. Scanning a creature increases their critical threat range against that specific creature by 1 against that specific target, grants them knowledge of the creature as if they had cast the spells detect alignment, deathwatch and detect magic (these can be blocked as normal). It also informs them of any unusual physical characteristics the target has, such as damage resistance, temperature, unusual subtypes and any others at the DM's discretion. When used on objects it gives a small amount of information (e.g. what its made of, what its purpose may be, presence of magic, similarity to items in lore) at the DMs discretion.

Charge Beam The Hunter may take a full round action to charge their weapon with energy. The next attack they make gains an extra HD for damage and its critical threat range is increased by 1.

Jump Module The suit enhances the ability of the Hunter to jump. They may now jump as they were able to before while using the morph ball ability. When they are not using the morph ball they may jump in the air. This means they can split a jump check into two separate checks (for example instead of trying to leap over a 30 foot gap they may roll for two 15 foot jumps) or they may make a normal jump check and double what they role.

Wave/Ice/Plasma Beams Upon reaching the appropriate level for each one of these attacks the hunter may choose to switch between them. Switching between a beam is a free action. Each beam changes the type of energy damage dealt by their arrows and the effect of the charge attack ability. See the table below.

{table=head]Beam|Energy|Charge Attack|Save
Power|n/a|1 extra HD of damage|none
Wave|Shock|Paralysis for 1 round|Fort 10+(1/2[Character Level])
Ice|Cold|Frozen Solid for 1 round|Fort 10+(1/2[Character Level])
Plasma|Fire|Set on fire*, takes 1d6 Fire damage per round|n/a[/table]
*lasts 1d4-1 rounds, ended by contact with water

Varia Suit The armour is enhanced with a layer to protect its wearer from cold. The AC bonus it grants increases by 2 (in addition to the bonus gained every 3rd level), the Hunter gains Cold and Fire resistance 5 and +2 on survival checks made in unusually hot or cold environments.

Gun Ship The Hunter gains the service of a loyal flying mount. This may be any flying mount with HD equal to or lower than half the Hunter's Armoured Hunter level and they must first succeed on a diplomacy check using half their level as the modifier. The mount's fur, skin, scales or plumage turns a bright orange colour for reasons unknown. Should a mount die the Hunter must wait 6 months before getting a new one, subsequent mounts receive purple fur, skin, scales or plumage rather than orange. Unlike other class features the mount still remains available if the Hunter loses or removes their armour.

Gravity Suit The AC bonus the armour provides increases by another 2 (in addition to the bonus gained every 3rd level) and the Hunter no longer takes the penalties to movement while underwater.

Space Jump As an alternative to the double jump module the hunter may jump as many times as they want through the air but take a -2 penalty on each check. They may also instead make a normal jump check with a +20 bonus.

Screw Attack Once per day the Hunter may somersault forward and strike a target with a powerful blast of energy. To hit their target the hunter must first succeed on a jump check into the target's square, then they must make a normal attack role. If they hit then the target takes 2d10 damage and must make a DC 10 fortitude save or be instantly destroyed. If the attack misses the hunter ends up on a random square around the target and provokes an attack of opportunity.

BisectedBrioche
2007-08-02, 05:27 AM
No comments?

Hazkali
2007-08-02, 06:23 AM
Quite funny, I haven't played the Metroid games much but I know the general idea.

In terms of the class itself, if you actually intend to make it playable, you'll need to do a couple of things;

Firstly, the class needs a list of Class Skills, which I would imagine would be similar to the Fighter or Ranger's skill list.

Secondly, you'd need to decide on the Skill Points per Level. I recommend either 2 or 4, but definitely no more.

Thirdly, you will need to assign an ability type to each of the abilities; Ex, Su or Sp. Most of the effects I think would be Supernatural abilities.

Fourthly, what do you mean by "an extra HD for damage"? This makes no sense at all; HD stands for "hit dice", which is the number of dice a creature has for hit points. If you mean the dice rolled for damage, say something to the effect of

"The attack does an extra amount of damage equal to one of the damage dice it would normally do. For example, a Shortsword (d6 damage) would do 2d6 damage, whereas a Greatsword (2d6 damage) would do 3d6 damage."

There are other gripes, but these are the ones that need addressing first.

Zeta Kai
2007-08-02, 06:59 AM
I would see this as more of a PrC, taken from mid-range Fighter & Ranger stock. That would clear up the dead levels, & also account to the high-level abilities available to this class. I like this design so far (except for the dead levels), but I just think a PrC would serve this concept better.

Also, someone made a class based on Link? Who? Where? I must see this for myself.

BisectedBrioche
2007-08-02, 07:46 AM
I would see this as more of a PrC, taken from mid-range Fighter & Ranger stock. That would clear up the dead levels, & also account to the high-level abilities available to this class. I like this design so far (except for the dead levels), but I just think a PrC would serve this concept better.

Also, someone made a class based on Link? Who? Where? I must see this for myself.

It was about a week ago: Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51744)