PDA

View Full Version : Great Plains Encounter

SMac8988
2017-05-16, 12:35 PM
Hey all, welcome back!

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some help. My group has a session coming up sunday and I need some help making a traveling quest for them.

Currently my party is heading south across a great plains land, with some rolling hills. They made camp for the night near a temple and the guard of the temple assured them a safe nights rest.

I was thinking maybe a clan of centaurs would stop them from continuing, stating that there is a gathering of gnolls blocking the path and killing anything that enters.

I'm not horribly family with gnolls or centaurs or what either could really want from or gift the party.

I was looking to make an almost stand alone section of the story arc, with just some cool puzzels/fights for them.

Any suggestions?

Aett_Thorn
2017-05-16, 01:06 PM
Would you be up for using my favorite D&D race: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wemic

Like Centaurs, but more plains oriented, since they're a cross of lion and human. If their pride had just been attacked by the gnolls, they might not have the strength to fight them again, but the gnolls may be on their hunting grounds or a spiritual landmark of theirs.

Mr. E
2017-05-16, 02:10 PM
The Gnolls might be in possession of a herd of cattle or bison, which could be a substantial reward for the party if they can bring them back to civilisation in one piece. Depending on how long you want this section to take, you could have a variety of different problems for them to overcome (like wild animals, rustlers, or a flooded river). Perhaps reading up on the various cultures that grew up in/around a similar environment might provide some more ideas?

SMac8988
2017-05-16, 02:42 PM
Would you be up for using my favorite D&D race: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wemic

Like Centaurs, but more plains oriented, since they're a cross of lion and human. If their pride had just been attacked by the gnolls, they might not have the strength to fight them again, but the gnolls may be on their hunting grounds or a spiritual landmark of theirs.

I actually like that idea. I could have the gnolls be currpting a temple/spiritual location, since they have a paladin and a cleric in the group, which would lead the group there.

Could have them have to clear out the gnoll problem, and dive deep into the temple to kill off the now buffed up leader of the gnolls. Throw some make shift traps and stuff.

Could be fun.

The issue with the guiding the bision/cattle is their current mission is time sesative, giving then only a short time to stop and get involved. Guiding the cattle could be be to much of a detour for them at this point.