PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Games General Thread(Street Fighter, MAHVEL BAYBEH, KOF, Mortal Kombat, etc)

Mikemical
2017-05-16, 03:00 PM
Seeing there wasn't a thread for this genre(or at least there wasn't one I was aware of), I figured might as well make one.

This is for discussing any fighting game, wether classic, upcoming or just released. And to start us off, hey, Injustice 2 is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obr4a-Ang-M

Thoughts? Expectations? Ideas on who the other DLC characters might be besides OBVIOUSLY Raiden and Black Manta. Also, was anyone actually surprised that they brought back Joker for the sequel?

Zevox
2017-05-16, 05:52 PM
I've tried more than a few times to make threads for fighting games around here, but they never last long. I do keep making them for specific ones though, not the whole genre, so maybe this one will have a slightly better chance.

And to start us off, hey, Injustice 2 is here.

Thoughts? Expectations? Ideas on who the other DLC characters might be besides OBVIOUSLY Raiden and Black Manta. Also, was anyone actually surprised that they brought back Joker for the sequel?
I'm passing on it, personally. After having tried both MK9 and the first Injustice, I don't think I want to try another NetherRealm game until I hear that they make some significant change to the gameplay. Their games just feel clunky to me compared to other fighters. Also, I really came to hate stage interactables in Injustice (transitions were fine, but interactables were awful), and not only are they still around, they've added that whole gear system, which seems like a patently awful idea for this particular genre to me. Balance in these games is hard enough to achieve without being able to be just statistically stronger than your opponents - and I don't think I even trust NetherRealm to have an online mode where gear stat adjustments are turned off by default, since they didn't have a mode with interactables turned off by default in the first game. Pity, since they've added some characters I would be pretty interested in if someone else were making the game (Atrocitus, Firestorm, Doctor Fate, Blue Beetle), but that's where I'm at.

(And no, not surprised in the least that the Joker's back. I'd be stunned if he wasn't.)

I also find myself in the weird position of passing on an ArcSys fighting game - Guilty Gear Rev 2. I picked up the first Revelator, but I actually wound up barely playing it, because I couldn't find a character I really liked, and this time around I don't think I'm willing to spend the money just to find out if the new additions gel with me better. I guess I'm waiting on a full new Guilty Gear with a lot more new/returning characters that I haven't gotten to try before at this point. Weird, considering I've never had that problem in any other fighting game, including ArcSys' other two series, BlazBlue and Persona Arena, which I love.

So for me, this year's big fighting game is unquestionably Marvel Infinite. The gameplay for that already looks pretty darn solid, so I just hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot by rushing it with too little content for the casual fans again. Unfortunately the release date being surprisingly close and less than a year from when the game was first announced doesn't inspire confidence on that front, but yeah, we'll see. Even if they do, well, here's hoping for some good netcode for once. I'd probably still play Marvel 3 from time to time (and have bought it for PS4 when they did that) if the netcode weren't such trash.

Here's hoping for some good character reveals on that one come E3. I'm particularly eager to find out the fate of the Devil May Cry characters. Hopefully we've still got original Dante at least - ideally I'd also like Vergil and Trish, possibly even Lady as a newcomer, but the only one of those I have any real hope for is Vergil. And even there, I have to worry that they'll replace them with the reboot versions...

Hiro Protagonest
2017-05-16, 07:29 PM
Well I have a few games, I usually just-

and I don't think I even trust NetherRealm to have an online mode where gear stat adjustments are turned off by default,

...I'm going back to Skullheart.

Fine, I mostly play Skullgirls. Some Xrd, some Arcana Heart 3 (I love that game but nobody plays it), a little bit of 3rd Strike. That's about it, I'll keep it short.

Zevox
2017-05-16, 07:56 PM
Well I have a few games, I usually just-

...I'm going back to Skullheart.

Fine, I mostly play Skullgirls. Some Xrd, some Arcana Heart 3 (I love that game but nobody plays it), a little bit of 3rd Strike. That's about it, I'll keep it short.
I used to play Skullgirls a little, back when it was pretty new. The online seemed pretty dead even then, though, so I fell out of it pretty quick. Plus I had a lot of trouble learning the combos - those air-to-ground juggles seemed mandatory for anything beyond extremely basic ones, but I could never get them to work.

Mikemical
2017-05-17, 07:53 AM
I'm passing on it, personally. After having tried both MK9 and the first Injustice, I don't think I want to try another NetherRealm game until I hear that they make some significant change to the gameplay. Their games just feel clunky to me compared to other fighters. Also, I really came to hate stage interactables in Injustice (transitions were fine, but interactables were awful), and not only are they still around, they've added that whole gear system, which seems like a patently awful idea for this particular genre to me. Balance in these games is hard enough to achieve without being able to be just statistically stronger than your opponents - and I don't think I even trust NetherRealm to have an online mode where gear stat adjustments are turned off by default, since they didn't have a mode with interactables turned off by default in the first game. Pity, since they've added some characters I would be pretty interested in if someone else were making the game (Atrocitus, Firestorm, Doctor Fate, Blue Beetle), but that's where I'm at.

I also find myself in the weird position of passing on an ArcSys fighting game - Guilty Gear Rev 2. I picked up the first Revelator, but I actually wound up barely playing it, because I couldn't find a character I really liked, and this time around I don't think I'm willing to spend the money just to find out if the new additions gel with me better. I guess I'm waiting on a full new Guilty Gear with a lot more new/returning characters that I haven't gotten to try before at this point. Weird, considering I've never had that problem in any other fighting game, including ArcSys' other two series, BlazBlue and Persona Arena, which I love.

So for me, this year's big fighting game is unquestionably Marvel Infinite. The gameplay for that already looks pretty darn solid, so I just hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot by rushing it with too little content for the casual fans again. Unfortunately the release date being surprisingly close and less than a year from when the game was first announced doesn't inspire confidence on that front, but yeah, we'll see. Even if they do, well, here's hoping for some good netcode for once. I'd probably still play Marvel 3 from time to time (and have bought it for PS4 when they did that) if the netcode weren't such trash.

Here's hoping for some good character reveals on that one come E3. I'm particularly eager to find out the fate of the Devil May Cry characters. Hopefully we've still got original Dante at least - ideally I'd also like Vergil and Trish, possibly even Lady as a newcomer, but the only one of those I have any real hope for is Vergil. And even there, I have to worry that they'll replace them with the reboot versions...

- I'm waiting for the Ultimate Edition with all the DLC packs added, like I did for the first game. I'm not really much of an online player because of my country's horrid broadband, and most fighting games I play are usually among my friends or in local tournaments(where I get to be used as a mop, but it's still fun).

- I don't know how to feel about GG. On one hand, Blazblue was what got me into anime fighters in the first place, but I don't know why I don't feel like even trying GG, even though I like the characters and obviously the music. I'd like to be able to play P4U2 but region lock f'd me in the ass.

- I'm also suspicious of Marvel Infinity's release date, but who knows? Maybe going back to the original MvC's 2v2 formula is good. I like that this time we might have an actual plot with the characters interacting, instead of the 12 page intro comic that's basically "Doom knows how we can power our machine!"
- Gilligan Cut to Galactus -
"Who's been racking up Galactus' electricity bill?!"

- I would like to see Dante make a return, as well as Vergil. Maybe even Nero. I doubt they'll use the reboot ones, considering CAPCOM has been denying that game hard and pinning the blame almost entirely on Ninja Theory. I'd also like some actual info about either Resident Evil 2's HD Remake and/or an actual DMC5(or DMCV, if they wanna go the Kojima route).

rooster707
2017-05-17, 08:20 AM
Personally, I'm getting more and more excited about Injustice 2, but I'm trying to keep it down and wait for the complete edition. I'm not even any good at fighting games, I'm not going to spend full price for this and then have to pay more for 20 billion DLC characters or whatever.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-05-17, 11:21 AM
I used to play Skullgirls a little, back when it was pretty new. The online seemed pretty dead even then, though, so I fell out of it pretty quick. Plus I had a lot of trouble learning the combos - those air-to-ground juggles seemed mandatory for anything beyond extremely basic ones, but I could never get them to work.

The game's changed a lot, but yeah off-the-grounds are really important. I figured out the timing when practicing my first Filia combo by using slow-mo in Training Mode (funny that the only other game I've played with Training slow-mo is Smash Bros). Setting the dummy to tech is important to get the exact timing too.

It's not super-active but most of the time I can find a match without red ping. Skill levels may vary. I'm on PC, I think most of the players have migrated there since it included the Endless Beta which, well, ended about a month ago for hopefully the last time (so Mike Z can finally get some sleep focus on Indivisible, also so the physical copy that's coming out really does carry the final update).

I play Ramlethal in Guilty Gear. She doesn't exactly click, but she plays so differently from anyone else and she's cute. I'm terrible with her.

Edit: Also the Rev 2 demo is available for PS+ members (https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/guilty-gear-xrd-rev-2-demo/cid=UP1024-CUSA07837_00-GGXRDREV2USPSPLS) until the 26th.

S@tanicoaldo
2017-05-17, 01:03 PM
I love swamp thing, I have no worlds know that I found out he will be playable since he's kind of obscure.

Zevox
2017-05-17, 07:39 PM
- I'm waiting for the Ultimate Edition with all the DLC packs added, like I did for the first game.
I can understand that, but I never do that, personally. I'd always rather get the games when they come out - especially for fighting games, whose online is always most active within the first month after their release (and if they're not named Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, tend to end up with pretty limited online communities after that time). And I feel no desire to have all of the DLC - I just buy characters whose play style piques my interest, which rarely seems to happen with fighting game DLC. I never buy cosmetic stuff like costumes and stages, I don't see those as worth extra money.

- I don't know how to feel about GG. On one hand, Blazblue was what got me into anime fighters in the first place, but I don't know why I don't feel like even trying GG, even though I like the characters and obviously the music. I'd like to be able to play P4U2 but region lock f'd me in the ass.
BlazBlue was actually the franchise that got me into the fighting game genre in general, and is still one of my all-time favorites. I actually prefer it to Guilty Gear even on base mechanics. But I think I like Guilty Gear in terms of gameplay as well - it's just the character issue that keeps me from getting into it. Which is kind of the reverse of what I've had in BlazBlue lately, where there's now a number of characters I enjoy and wish I could get better with, since the last two iterations added several that I liked.

- I'm also suspicious of Marvel Infinity's release date, but who knows? Maybe going back to the original MvC's 2v2 formula is good. I like that this time we might have an actual plot with the characters interacting,
Yeah, that would be a step up, to be sure. Hopefully more of a step up than Street Fighter 5's story mode though - that was serviceable, but wound up kind of bland and dull. Not to mention hamstrung by Capcom deciding that it didn't need to be in the game at launch and could just be released four months later... :smallsigh:

- I would like to see Dante make a return, as well as Vergil. Maybe even Nero. I doubt they'll use the reboot ones, considering CAPCOM has been denying that game hard and pinning the blame almost entirely on Ninja Theory. I'd also like some actual info about either Resident Evil 2's HD Remake and/or an actual DMC5(or DMCV, if they wanna go the Kojima route).
:smallconfused: The worst I've seen Capcom say about the reboot was that it didn't meet their (absurdly high) sales expectations. Granted, they've given no indication that they want a sequel to it, but that doesn't tell us much.

I'd love to find out that an actual DMC5 was going to be a thing, but I don't have high hopes for it. I think it's more likely that the reboot not meeting Capcom's expectations has killed the franchise, at least for the foreseeable future.

Nero I'm kind of ambivalent on. Even in DMC4 a lot of his playstyle is basically a more limited version of Dante, and the main thing that sets him apart, the arm, is too reminiscent of Spencer, whom I figure will probably be back. I guess if they do things right they could make him fun and different from Dante, but he doesn't really interest me as-is.

The game's changed a lot, but yeah off-the-grounds are really important. I figured out the timing when practicing my first Filia combo by using slow-mo in Training Mode (funny that the only other game I've played with Training slow-mo is Smash Bros). Setting the dummy to tech is important to get the exact timing too.

It's not super-active but most of the time I can find a match without red ping. Skill levels may vary. I'm on PC, I think most of the players have migrated there since it included the Endless Beta which, well, ended about a month ago for hopefully the last time (so Mike Z can finally get some sleep focus on Indivisible, also so the physical copy that's coming out really does carry the final update).
I was playing on the 360 at the time, and these days would have to pick it up on PS4 to get back into it. I'm a console player, so if most of the players have migrated to PC, then unless cross play is a thing that would mean the online would be effectively dead for me. Which kind of kills the game for me, since that's the main thing I do in fighting games.

I play Ramlethal in Guilty Gear. She doesn't exactly click, but she plays so differently from anyone else and she's cute. I'm terrible with her.
Ramlethal is who I played for much of the relatively small amount of time I've spent with Guilty Gear. She seemed fun, but I was frustrated by how complicated anything beyond the bare basics felt like it was, since it would involve setting out her swords, which always felt awkward to me. Plus, she seemed kind of weak, with a general lack of strong mixups - though that could just have been me not knowing what her good mixups are, I guess.

I played some Ky as well, since he's the most shoto-y of Guilty Gear's characters, but while I could play him to some small extent, I didn't really enjoy it very much. Just not a play style I want to play anymore, I guess, even though I can.

Edit: Also the Rev 2 demo is available for PS+ members (https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/guilty-gear-xrd-rev-2-demo/cid=UP1024-CUSA07837_00-GGXRDREV2USPSPLS) until the 26th.
Ah, really? I could try that then. Hm, I guess it might be worth a short break from Persona 5 to find out for sure whether Baiken or Answer gel with me better than the previous characters, if it's free.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-05-17, 08:42 PM
I was playing on the 360 at the time, and these days would have to pick it up on PS4 to get back into it.
Hm... a friend of mine said he was ranked highly on 360, I think he was the #1 player? Played Parasoul/Filia, not sure if he had a third.

(funny thing is that's also my team. Now, should I add Painwheel, or Squigly, or Eliza...)

I'll check the PS4 playerbase when I get the limited edition physical copy that ran back in November... SoonTM (about a month, probably).

Ramlethal is who I played for much of the relatively small amount of time I've spent with Guilty Gear. She seemed fun, but I was frustrated by how complicated anything beyond the bare basics felt like it was, since it would involve setting out her swords, which always felt awkward to me. Plus, she seemed kind of weak, with a general lack of strong mixups - though that could just have been me not knowing what her good mixups are, I guess.

I played some Ky as well, since he's the most shoto-y of Guilty Gear's characters, but while I could play him to some small extent, I didn't really enjoy it very much. Just not a play style I want to play anymore, I guess, even though I can.

I haven't grasped Ram either, but there are three, well actually with Dizzy it's four, characters who are considered bad in Xrd, and Ram isn't one of them. I've seen one person say that it's really hard to beat her pressure, but that was a comment on YouTube so who knows. I have no idea how to wield her remote swords since if an opponent attacks and you block, the sword won't swing.

But I mostly just play it with my friends relatively casually, and I keep trying to do standard combo chains with her when she doesn't have those. >_<

Ky and Sin are just way easier though.

CarpeGuitarrem
2017-05-17, 10:21 PM
Haven't played very much (mostly Smash 4 at this point, although I've played all the Smash games by now), but currently I'm playing Revelator...well...kinda. I'd messed around with X2 Reload (thanks, GoG!), and when Rev came out, I bought it. So I've been slowly training my way, using the Guilty Gear Crash Course (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj34EySs1IeZ8GpjKW8R2T6dzI6B3GSuH) as a guide. I'm, uh, still working on internalizing the Episode 1 stuff, so I have a ways to go.

Been focusing on Ky, with an intent to maybe branch into Jack-O and Faust. (BTW, neat quiz I found (http://kalavinka.co.uk/GUILTY/) that suggests mains to you. Apparently my suggested main is Ky, with Jack-O/Faust/Millia as runners-up...what?)

Mikemical
2017-05-19, 09:31 AM
:smallconfused: The worst I've seen Capcom say about the reboot was that it didn't meet their (absurdly high) sales expectations. Granted, they've given no indication that they want a sequel to it, but that doesn't tell us much.

I'd love to find out that an actual DMC5 was going to be a thing, but I don't have high hopes for it. I think it's more likely that the reboot not meeting Capcom's expectations has killed the franchise, at least for the foreseeable future.

Nero I'm kind of ambivalent on. Even in DMC4 a lot of his playstyle is basically a more limited version of Dante, and the main thing that sets him apart, the arm, is too reminiscent of Spencer, whom I figure will probably be back. I guess if they do things right they could make him fun and different from Dante, but he doesn't really interest me as-is.

Well, considering it's been said that the X-Men Characters might not return because of licensing squabbles between Disney and FOX, it's likely some CAPCOM characters might not make a return from Marvel 3. If they remove Spencer in favor of Nero, I'm not against it. I've seen plenty of DMC4 Combo Videos and participated in some Vstyle Torunaments to know that while Nero's movest might not be the biggest, some people can still pull off impressive, flashy stuff on par with anything Dante players can make. I would like to see Dante in his DMC4 version, which would streamline some of his combo abilities, but still keep him a complex character.

As for DMC5, I just want some answers about certain plots, like whatever became of Sparda after he left Eva and the twins, what happened to Vergil after Mundus' defeat, or maybe a game with new protagonists to advance the plot forward. Dante's son getting his regards from Mundus(as Dante requested when he sent Mundus back to hell) would be nice.

Psyren
2017-05-19, 05:12 PM
I enjoy fighting games but have no desire to play online. Beating the CPU and the occasional IRL friend (when I can get one to play anything other than Smash) is enough for me.

I petition that we add indie entries like Divekick and One Finger Death Punch in here :smallbiggrin:

(Okay, that second one is really a beat-em-up, but still.)

Hiro Protagonest
2017-05-19, 08:14 PM
Man, there is only one fighter where I enjoy fighting CPUs, and that's Arcana Heart 3's Trials. I still don't enjoy the CPU actually trying to win, but some of the Trial requirements encourage learning more about the game (though still not a substitute for a complete lack of tutorial in a game that otherwise has fantastic extra features for the PC port). I haven't tried M.O.M. in Guilty Gear Xrd.

I mean, I'll still play Story Mode because LORE and CHARACTER (sidenote: I am a massive Skullgirls lore nerd), but I think GGXrd had the right idea. And then Episode Mode in Revelator was kind of annoying.

The upcoming Them's Fightin' Herds seems to be developing a promising system. There are single-player-only enemies, one with a basic overhead, one with speed but unable to beat blocking, one with zoning but no close attacks. The full character AI has been/is being programmed to learn (and be conditioned), so we'll see if that ends up like Smash 4 amiibos.

Zevox
2017-05-19, 08:46 PM
Hm... a friend of mine said he was ranked highly on 360, I think he was the #1 player? Played Parasoul/Filia, not sure if he had a third.
I guarantee I was nowhere near that good. I mean, I played Ms. Fortune/Peacock, and couldn't use Ms. Fortune's head to save my soul nor combo basically at all with Peacock. I basically played Ms. Fortune because she seemed fun and Peacock for aesthetics (love how she's a throwback to classic cartoons - always used her black & white color pallet).

Ky and Sin are just way easier though.
Yeah, they're among the most commonly played online I noticed. But unfortunately I don't find myself wanting to play either of them.

Having tried the demo for Rev 2 now, Baiken seems okay, but isn't really grabbing my interest a ton. And Answer I don't really like - he feels like a less interesting Chip (probably due to superficial ninja stuff being similar, but still), and Chip already wasn't high on my radar.

Been focusing on Ky, with an intent to maybe branch into Jack-O and Faust. (BTW, neat quiz I found (http://kalavinka.co.uk/GUILTY/) that suggests mains to you. Apparently my suggested main is Ky, with Jack-O/Faust/Millia as runners-up...what?)
Yeah, the issue I have with quizes like that is that I often have no good answers to a lot of their questions, because how I pick characters in fighting games doesn't really track with how other people do. It's really just a matter of which one feels best when I try them out, or something particular about them catching my attention. I've played everything from rushdown (X-23, Rise Kujikawa, Rashid, Makoto [SF4]) to zoning (Dormammu, Doctor Doom, R.O.B, Lambda-11), heavyweight brutes (King Dedede, Labrys, Ares), and middle-weight all-arounders (Platinum the Trinity, Dante, Vergil, Green Lantern, Sakura). About the only consistent playstyle thing is that I don't like grapplers - which in Guilty Gear mostly just crosses Potempkin off the list.

Oh, and I can't play charge characters, I just suck at actually employing those moves in an actual fight. Which has at times caused me to not play characters that would otherwise interest me, like Mitsuru in Persona Arena, Urien in SF5 - and actually, May in Guilty Gear.

For what it's worth, my best-faith effort at taking that quiz returned the following results:
Top character: I-No
Others you tied for: Slayer, Jam
Close second: Millia

Which, well, I-No and Millia were among those that interested me a little more than the rest of the cast initially, but neither really clicked enough for me to stay with them. Slayer and Jam didn't even do that, though.

Well, considering it's been said that the X-Men Characters might not return because of licensing squabbles between Disney and FOX, it's likely some CAPCOM characters might not make a return from Marvel 3. If they remove Spencer in favor of Nero, I'm not against it. I've seen plenty of DMC4 Combo Videos and participated in some Vstyle Torunaments to know that while Nero's movest might not be the biggest, some people can still pull off impressive, flashy stuff on par with anything Dante players can make. I would like to see Dante in his DMC4 version, which would streamline some of his combo abilities, but still keep him a complex character.
Oh, I'm sure Capcom will change up some of their characters, just for the heck of it. Spencer wouldn't be near the top of the list of characters I'd expect them to consider swapping out though. Sadly, I think near the top of that list will be Trish, who was one of my favorites in Marvel 3, and I worry that even Vergil may get the axe if they're really looking at DMC as a dead franchise at this point.

As for Dante, I'd be fine with getting his DMC4 look, but I want his moveset back as-is. Part of the fun of it is how ridiculously many moves he has - literally more than any other fighting game character in history. Besides, I like DMC3's weapons best out of the series anyway. Though if they wanted to add some DMC4 stuff to what he already has, I wouldn't complain about that. :smalltongue:

As for DMC5, I just want some answers about certain plots, like whatever became of Sparda after he left Eva and the twins, what happened to Vergil after Mundus' defeat, or maybe a game with new protagonists to advance the plot forward. Dante's son getting his regards from Mundus(as Dante requested when he sent Mundus back to hell) would be nice.
I can't say I really play DMC for the plot - but I do have an idea of what I'd like from DMC5 in terms of setup. Just pick up literally right where DMC2 left off. Yes, that game sucked, but it ended with Dante stranded in hell and riding off into it on a motorcycle, which is absolutely ridiculous and, in my opinion, totally the perfect setup for a Devil May Cry game. Heck, it would even allow them to easily re-introduce Vergil even though he died in DMC1 - because of course someone like him would be in hell after dying.

I don't want Capcom trying to replace Dante as the main character though, so if they made it Dante's son, that I wouldn't like at all. I would like if they followed up making Trish and Lady playable in the PS4 version of DMC4 with giving them playable parts in a DMC5 though. Especially Trish, she was a blast to play in DMC4.

Zevox
2017-05-20, 12:23 AM
Apologies for the double post, but interesting Marvel Infinite news (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAE-joDW-OY): Marvel is doing a promotion for the game around when it comes out, where various comics of theirs will feature variant covers tying into the game. And there's a full list of the twenty that will be doing that, which could offer hints about playable characters.

So, the comics in question, and best guess as to the characters:
All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, Rocket, I Am Groot - Rocket Racoon and Groot are already known to be in (likely as a team or with Rocket playable with Groot showing up for some of his moves, given the brief glimpse we saw). Next most likely character is Starlord, easily. If there's a third, either Gamora or Drax would be the likely candidates, but they're more a stretch than Starlord.

Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man - Spider-Man is obvious despite not being announced yet, but there's multiple Spider-Man titles, so perhaps other Spider-Man characters will be in. In the video above Max speculates about Doc Oc, which seems like a decent choice to me.

Spider-Man & Deadpool - I really hope this means Deadpool gets to be in the base roster despite being a Fox character, and not that we'll get even more Spider-Man characters.

Champions - In the video Max says people are speculating this will be Ms. Marvel, but this is obviously a team book and I know nothing about the team in question, so I have no idea if there are other options here.

Defenders - Iron Fist or Daredevil, maybe Luke Cage. My money would be on Daredevil, given his Netflix series, though Max favored Iron Fist due to him being in Marvel 3.

Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Thanos, Venom - The title characters of course. Mostly not surprising, given the MCU, though Venom is a bit of a surprise.

Generations: Thor & Might Thor - Thor's obviously already confirmed, but the interesting thing here is that there's two Thor comics involved in the promotion. So perhaps a second Thor character - Loki would be an obvious choice.

Secret Empire - Captain America, according to Max. The cover he showed would make me think it's a team book and there were other options, but I really don't know.

Avengers - Max suggests Ultron is the one for this, I'd say it could also be Captain America. Not a telling one in any event.

Hawkeye, Invincible Iron Man, Generations: Hulk, The Mighty Captain Marvel - All obviously the title characters, all already known.
If all of that guesswork were correct, I'd be pretty happy about Starlord, Loki, Venom, and Deadpool potentially being in the base roster rather than DLC.

An interesting thought: could these twenty be the entire launch roster on the Marvel side? That's a possibility, I think - which would be a 18-20 characters per side (depending on the actual number of Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor characters) for a 36-40 total roster size, assuming they kept it even as in past games. Which tracks with where Marvel 3's roster was at launch or is slightly larger. Looking at the list as a whole, yeah, aside from the X-Men and Doom, whom we knew were likely to be an issue, there's nothing glaringly missing, it does include all of the known characters, and it would generally seem like a reasonable roster. Perhaps lacking a left-field pick ala M.O.D.O.K. or Shuma-Gorath, which Capcom usually seems to like to have one or two of, but eh, I could live with that. In that case, I would be disappointed to lose Dormammu, but eh, there's always DLC to get him back.

I mean, I'll still play Story Mode because LORE and CHARACTER (sidenote: I am a massive Skullgirls lore nerd), but I think GGXrd had the right idea. And then Episode Mode in Revelator was kind of annoying.
I didn't play Revelator's story mode, so not sure about that one. I did play Xrd's, and honestly, while I definitely respect them not trying to force a bunch of fights into the mode just because it's a fighting game, I do dislike that they didn't even include them where it would make sense. I prefer their approach in recent BlazBlue titles - still have the fights, just don't force silly misunderstandings or minor confrontations nobody will care about to meet some frequency quota for them, the way many fighting game story modes do.

The upcoming Them's Fightin' Herds seems to be developing a promising system. There are single-player-only enemies, one with a basic overhead, one with speed but unable to beat blocking, one with zoning but no close attacks. The full character AI has been/is being programmed to learn (and be conditioned), so we'll see if that ends up like Smash 4 amiibos.
That still exists? Huh, I haven't really heard anything about it since they were forced to switch it away from being a My Little Pony game. Well, good to hear it's showing some promise I suppose.

Zevox
2017-05-31, 07:26 PM
So, for Marvel Infinite, there's been a very credible leak - coming from one of the people who leaked the game's existence and a few details about it before its initial announcement - of the game's starting roster, minus only one character. And it's... kind of bland (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238619370&postcount=11743), honestly. And a little on the small side, at only 28 characters on the starting roster, 14 per side, which is 8 short of where Marvel 3 started and around half the size of its final roster.

The Marvel side is basically the MCU, but with fairly few choices that are even interesting there. Oddly enough Gamora is in as a second Guardians character, but no Starlord. The one and only non-MCU character is Nova, returning from MvC3. And yet the MCU character I most wanted to see, Loki, is absent - the only villains are Ultron and Thanos. Yeah...

The Capcom side is a lot of returning MvC3 veterans, but with some odd choices in both who is in and who isn't. There's both Arthur and Firebrand from Ghosts & Goblins, for instance, but no Zero, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, or Vergil. Nor Felicia, whom I just sort of assumed came as a package deal with Morrigan in any Capcom vs game - instead they're including a different Darkstalkers character, Jedah. Also, very strange in my mind, no additional Street Fighter characters beyond Ryu and Chun-Li. One positive note is that the leaker doesn't know one of the characters on Capcom's side - though he says he suspects it's Frank West...

In general, it's a lot of Marvel 3 characters, with only a tiny handful of actual newcomers. I mean, the full list of newcomers is:
Capcom:
Mega Man X
Jedah
Monster Hunter

Marvel:
Ant-Man
Captain Marvel
Gamora
Rocket & Groot (Unclear how new this is though - could just be Marvel 3 Rocket Raccoon with some new moves involving Groot)
Thanos (Debatable, since he was in pre-MvC3 titles, and they could reuse his moveset from there. I'm hoping he gets a new one though.)
Ultron

That's... not much. And honestly, they cut most of my favorites from Marvel 3: Dormammu, Vergil, Trish, Zero, some of the Fox characters - basically the only returning character I liked much in Marvel 3 is Dante. Assuming he is returning Dante, not reboot Dante, which I really hope at this point. This is pretty disappointing even if he is, much less if he isn't. As-is, I'll I have to try all the new characters to find someone to pair with Dante for my team; if I don't even have Dante, though, I really don't know what I'll do.

Velaryon
2017-06-02, 07:55 PM
It has been some years since I played fighting games for any length of time. Since none of my friends were into them, it was either play online against (toxic) randoms, or stick to single player content. Single player content got old, so I mostly moved on.

I used to enjoy the Tekken games, but I discovered that I apparently do not play them like normal Tekken players do. I have no interest in juggle combos, which to me break verisimilitude and therefore kill my interest in the game. To me, the appeal of fighting games is having a fantastic martial arts duel that, while not realistic exactly, at least bears some resemblance to the kind of fight you'd see in a martial arts film or at least anime. Air juggle combos don't give me that feeling, so I didn't use them, which means that I basically wasn't playing Tekken "correctly." Between that and the stupidly hard bosses (single player, remember), I eventually got burned out on the series.

I used to play some Soul Calibur too, but I was not especially good at it. I could do pretty well as Xianghua, and in SC2 I was pretty good with Ivy, but she seemed to change too much in later games and I lost whatever skill with her I had once had.

Zevox
2017-06-09, 04:47 PM
Okay, here's something for the "did not see that coming" category: ArcSystem Works, the guys behind BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, and Persona Arena, have announced a new fighting game, and it's a Dragon Ball Z (http://shoryuken.com/2017/06/09/a-dragon-ball-fighter-is-coming-in-early-2018-developed-by-arc-system-works/) one. It will have the visual style of Guilty Gear Xrd and 3 vs 3 teams, and being and ArcSys game will almost certainly be extremely fast-paced.

So basically, we're getting a cross between Guilty Gear and Marvel vs Capcom, with Dragon Ball Z characters. I haven't even been into DBZ in over a decade, and that still sounds awesome to me :smallbiggrin: . And since it's ArcSys, there will probably be a huge, cheesy-as-hell story mode, too.

Psyren
2017-06-09, 07:31 PM
So what do you all think of Injustice 2 Wifigate? (http://compete.kotaku.com/new-injustice-2-update-shows-which-online-competitors-a-1795971775)

Zevox
2017-06-09, 07:56 PM
So what do you all think of Injustice 2 Wifigate? (http://compete.kotaku.com/new-injustice-2-update-shows-which-online-competitors-a-1795971775)
Huh, hadn't heard about that. Sounds good to me - anything that might help with finding good connections is a boon when playing fighting games online, since lag is one of the biggest fun-killers out there. Especially since the general "connection strength" indicators fighting games tend to use have always been pretty unreliable, in my experience.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-06-09, 08:24 PM
For lobbies? Sure. Make sure they have it for online tournaments or long training sets.

For randoms? Uhh... this wouldn't actually tell me who just has slight input delay, which is still playable, and who has an actually bad connection with stuttering or rollback (I've played green ping people who just have awful connections). It's being picky at a level that matters a lot less for randoms than another issue. I mean, if it's wired it probably won't be stuttery anyway, but that's like burning your lawn to get rid of dandelions (I'm ignoring that it might not get the roots >_>).

Mikemical
2017-06-10, 08:29 PM
Okay, here's something for the "did not see that coming" category: ArcSystem Works, the guys behind BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, and Persona Arena, have announced a new fighting game, and it's a Dragon Ball Z (http://shoryuken.com/2017/06/09/a-dragon-ball-fighter-is-coming-in-early-2018-developed-by-arc-system-works/) one. It will have the visual style of Guilty Gear Xrd and 3 vs 3 teams, and being and ArcSys game will almost certainly be extremely fast-paced.

So basically, we're getting a cross between Guilty Gear and Marvel vs Capcom, with Dragon Ball Z characters. I haven't even been into DBZ in over a decade, and that still sounds awesome to me :smallbiggrin: . And since it's ArcSys, there will probably be a huge, cheesy-as-hell story mode, too.

I'm hype for this game, since I stopped playing Dragon Ball after Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

danzibr
2017-06-11, 07:43 PM
The only fighting game I've ever liked is Super Smash Bros.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-06-11, 08:25 PM
So, do you want a recommendation, or are you here to just say you like Sakurai's party game which he and Nintendo refuse to officially support competition for?

Oh yeah, Nintendo made a Twitter account called Nintendo VS (https://twitter.com/nintendovs) for Pokken, Splatoon, and... ARMS. And one bright red square with nothing in it. Yep.

Anyway, looks like the sixth fighter in the DBF trailer is Gohan, no surprises there. Add Gohan's wife pls

Zevox
2017-06-11, 09:20 PM
So, Dragon Ball Fighter Z got a gameplay trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zqz67Ha7II), and it looks just as sick as I'd hoped. Goddamn ArcSys does good work.

So, do you want a recommendation, or are you here to just say you like Sakurai's party game which he and Nintendo refuse to officially support competition for?
Smash is very much a fighting game. And what are you talking about "refuse to support competition for?" Nintendo's been an Evo sponsor for the past couple of years at least IIRC. And weren't they briefly running their own tournaments back around when Smash 4 released?

Anyway, looks like the sixth fighter in the DBF trailer is Gohan, no surprises there. Add Gohan's wife pls
That is the one thing you might not want to get your hopes up about too much with Dragon Ball Fighter Z: the roster, particularly its size. The first games in ArcSys' series tend have smaller rosters than other companies' fighting games - BlazBlue started with 12 in Calamity Trigger, Persona 4 Arena had 13, and Guilty Gear Xrd Sign had 15 before DLC. While I never played them, my understanding is that the existing Dragon Ball fighting games tended to have pretty darn large rosters, including minor characters and multiple versions of major characters, which may well not be the case with this one.

Granted though, ArcSys has never done a team fighter before, and that does seem as though it's a format that would want a larger roster than they've typically started with, so maybe this one will be larger than their other series out of the gate. Still wouldn't bet on it being as large as some people might assume, if they base it on the rosters of other DBZ fighters, though.

(Personally though, they've got Vegeta in there already, so I'm already set on characters. Give me him and whichever two wind up feeling like the most fun to play as his teammates and I'm good. :smallsmile: )

Hiro Protagonest
2017-06-11, 09:30 PM
Uh, sure? It has attack, block to beat attack, grab to beat block, dodge to beat grab but punishable if predicted.

But the game has two completely different audiences; those who don't actually understand it beyond basic controls but call it a fighting game anyway, even though they're playing it as a party game, and those who are actually kinda good at it and could go into other fighting games if they tried.

And while it does have an interesting core loop, there are characters who are clearly designed around a theme without actual consideration for their balance, even in Smash 4, "the balanced one."

Gray Mage
2017-06-12, 08:33 PM
So, since Injustice 2 doesn't seem to be coming to PC soon, I'm thinking of scratching the old fighting game itch witl MKX. The thing is, I remember from a while back that the PC was horrible on launch. Is it any better now? And is the online scene alive?

heronbpv
2017-06-12, 09:51 PM
No idea about the online mode of MK X (XL?), because the PC version is still as unplayable as ever.
Source: I couldn't run this game storymode in a frigging alienware 17 R4 without getting some nasty audio bugs and framerate drops from the get go. So yeah, I would recommend you to look elsewhere to get your fix. Like MK IX, any of the The King of Fighters games, or the new Tekken 7.

CarpeGuitarrem
2017-06-12, 10:12 PM
Oh boy, time to check "Smash isn't really a fighting game" off of the bingo card. :smalltongue:

(Thought the FGC had grown out of that one, but I guess not entirely.)

DBZ + ArcSys is pretty ace, and hopefully this brings new attention to the rest of ArcSys' anime fighters! They certainly deserve the love.

Zevox
2017-06-12, 10:37 PM
No idea about the online mode of MK X (XL?), because the PC version is still as unplayable as ever.
Source: I couldn't run this game storymode in a frigging alienware 17 R4 without getting some nasty audio bugs and framerate drops from the get go. So yeah, I would recommend you to look elsewhere to get your fix. Like MK IX, any of the The King of Fighters games, or the new Tekken 7.
I haven't heard anything about MKX's PC version since the game launched myself. I know MKX in general got a huge upgrade to its online in the middle of its lifespan, which combined with it being a big name likely means its online community is fine, but if the PC version is just badly done, then that doesn't help if that's all you've got.

I know Street Fighter 5 and Tekken 7 are reputed to be great on PC, though.

We did get a Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCMbvmyzdIg) trailer out of E3. It confirms a lot of the roster leak - Doctor Strange, Arthur, Dante (original, not reboot! :smallbiggrin: ), Gamorrah, Thanos, Nova, and Spencer are all seen. But as are two more who weren't in the roster leak: Zero and Black Panther. The latter we learn at the end of the trailer is going to be DLC, part of a 6-character pack that will be the game's first DLC (presumably alongside already-announced Sigma). Zero could be part of that as well - or he could be the one missing Capcom character in the base roster that the leaker didn't know for sure. Which, well, I'd be happier with that than I would with Frank West, I'll say that much. Also, there's some creepy evil priest looking guy I don't recognize.

There's supposed to be a "story demo" for the game available starting today, too, but near as I can tell it isn't up yet. Though from the glimpses we see in the trailer... well, they're trying, but honestly, not that hard. They apparently can't even be bothered to animate the characters enough to make them move their eyes or blink in cutscenes, resulting in everybody staring weirdly (Chun-Li in particular looks so creepy because of this). So far, I'm getting the impression that this will be on par with or below the level of quality of Street Fighter 5's story mode (the real one, not the few snippets of unrelated meandering it called a story mode at launch), which is not great. Better than nothing, but not going to win over people who think NetherRealm's story modes are the bar they need to be aiming for.

Oh, but Dragon Ball Fighter Z got a full fight's worth of gameplay (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAKSgWQ6AeU) shown off too, and it looks exactly like you would think - Guilty Gear meets Marvel, complete with assists and DHCs, level 3 supers, a Dust-style launch mechanic, and all the air-dashing and high-speed craziness you could want. Plus, dynamic stage transitions: when Buu does a huge energy burst super that shows a cinematic where it's visible from orbit, you start the fight afterward in a blasted crater stage instead of the area you'd been fighting in before. About the only thing I didn't see is a Burst - but they've got an icon that might be for it near their health bars (the little lightning bolt). Needs some music, but otherwise, hot damn do I like what I see.

One interesting change compared to Marvel: no more incoming mixups. When a character falls, the two characters clash arms in the cinematic the trailer opened with, and things reset to neutral like a new "round" was beginning - even though health and meter stay and things otherwise proceed like a Marvel match. Which, well, I'm of two minds with: I kind of like incoming mixups rewarding the player who is doing well, but at the same time, Marvel 3 did show that it could snowball too hard sometimes (see: Zero and the one-player game). So eh, I may miss it at times, but I can see why they'd want to get rid of it.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-06-12, 10:43 PM
Oh boy, time to check "Smash isn't really a fighting game" off of the bingo card. :smalltongue:

(Thought the FGC had grown out of that one, but I guess not entirely.)

Okay. Yes, it's a goddamn fighting game. Are you happy.

Smash players are really making the FGC feel comfortable with the game when they go into their threads and say "the only fighting game I like is Smash" aren't they?

Zevox
2017-06-12, 10:46 PM
Okay. Yes, it's a goddamn fighting game. Are you happy.

Smash players are really making the FGC feel comfortable with the game when they go into their threads and say "the only fighting game I like is Smash" aren't they?
Don't see any reason it should make you uncomfortable, any more than if someone only liked Street Fighter, or Mortal Kombat, or whatever else.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-06-12, 10:48 PM
Because it's always Smash. Specifically, I have seen so many comments repeating the same damn thing in the Extra Credits video on fighting games.

And it's the one that's not like any of the others. Yet it is. But it isn't. It's in this place. Where it asks to be taken seriously, and with reason, but so many of the people who "only like Smash" aren't taking it seriously anyway.

Perhaps I should have said "if you're saying that, you're not even invested in Smash."

Zevox
2017-06-12, 11:08 PM
Because it's always Smash. Specifically, I have seen so many comments repeating the same damn thing in the Extra Credits video on fighting games.

And it's the one that's not like any of the others. Yet it is. But it isn't. It's in this place. Where it asks to be taken seriously, and with reason, but so many of the people who "only like Smash" aren't taking it seriously anyway.

Perhaps I should have said "if you're saying that, then you don't even understand Smash."
You don't need to take Smash seriously for it to be the only fighting game you enjoy. Nobody needs to take the genre seriously at all to enjoy it or individual games within it. Depending on your metric there, I don't: I very much enjoy it and like learning about it, but I'm sure as hell not good at it compared to actual competitive players, and have no intention of putting in the huge amount of practice and effort that would be needed to get truly good at it, nor of ever attending any tournaments. But that's not required to be a fan of these games, just as it isn't with any other genres. Heck, before I really got into the genre there was a time when I could accurately have said that the only fighting game I liked was Mortal Kombat - which would have been just as true regardless of the fact that I barely knew how to do special moves in it and was largely just button-mashing on the rare occasions that I played it.

It would be more than fair to say that Smash exists in a subgenre that's distinct from most other fighting games, if that helps you - Platform Fighters, I've long preferred to think of it as, since the defining characteristic in my mind is combining platforming elements with fighting game gameplay. But that's simply not caught on among most people, for whatever reason.

danzibr
2017-06-13, 06:47 AM
I've played numerous fighting games throughout the years. Going back to, I dunno, Karate Champ and that kind of stuff on the NES. Mortal Kombat II (didn't get the first one) on the Sega Genesis, as well as III Ultimate. Oh, and Street Fighter. Tekken on the PlayStation. Et cetera.

I dunno. I just... don't like them.

Oh, my apologies. I wasn't trying to bash the non-Smash games, just saying out of all of them that I've played, Smash is the only one that grabbed me.

Perhaps I should have said "if you're saying that, you're not even invested in Smash."
Man, that's kind of harsh. I started on Melee, played a lot. Entered two tournaments, came in 2nd once. On my GC I got the achievement for 3995 matches or whatever. Got a Wii just for Brawl. Got a Wii U just for Smash 4. Watch videos , visit the Smash forums. I wouldn't say I'm hardcore, but I wouldn't call myself a filthy casual either.

The Smash series just has an appeal to me that no other fighting game has (again, for me).

Mikemical
2017-06-13, 07:39 AM
Also, there's some creepy evil priest looking guy I don't recognize.

You ever watch the first Avengers movie? Remember the evil-looking aliens who were working for Thanos? I think they're those guys.

Also, I saw some gameplay and Dante seems to have the same moves he had in MvC3. Not exactly a bad thing, I just was hoping we would get DMC4's Uncle Dante, but I'm happy he's in the game.

Zevox
2017-06-13, 07:05 PM
You ever watch the first Avengers movie? Remember the evil-looking aliens who were working for Thanos? I think they're those guys.
Hm, been a while, so honestly I mostly remember their giant robots that Thor and Hulk fought and the spaceships Iron Man stopped from reaching Earth, but yeah, I know generally who you're talking about. Makes sense - I imagine we might see more of them in Infinity War, so Marvel would want to slip some into this game for promotional purposes.

Also, I saw some gameplay and Dante seems to have the same moves he had in MvC3. Not exactly a bad thing, I just was hoping we would get DMC4's Uncle Dante, but I'm happy he's in the game.
He has much the same animations as in MvC3, but make no mistake, his moves have changed.

I got ahold of the story mode demo I mentioned just before bed last night - it lets you play a number of characters, albeit only briefly each, including Dante. Every returning character had some moves changed, even if only for the new control scheme (two punches + two kicks instead of LMH + S - for instance, Dante swings his sword with punches, but fires his guns with kicks, so gun moves are now half of his normals).

So far, of the new characters I got the chance to play, I was liking Captain Marvel the best, but I want more of a chance to play X as well. Actually, I really just wish the demo let me play in training mode - I could lose myself for hours in there just testing things...

Oh, as far as the story mode itself goes, it looks more polished than the parts from the E3 trailer, actually. It has a few fun little character moments with Tony being snarky, Dante lending Rocket his guns, Arthur and Thor being buddies, and so on. It takes place during that big fight that's been in the trailers so far - which means either it's somewhere in the middle of the story mode, or the story mode starts en media res. I could see either one, but lean towards the latter. And honestly, that might be nice - skip over the predictable BS of the different universes' characters first meeting, general confusion at what's going on and who the other group is, misunderstandings leading to filler fights, etc, and just get right to them acting as a team to save their worlds from the big menace. So, it could end up more fun than the trailers so far have made it look.

Mikemical
2017-06-14, 08:10 AM
Oh, as far as the story mode itself goes, it looks more polished than the parts from the E3 trailer, actually. It has a few fun little character moments with Tony being snarky, Dante lending Rocket his guns, Arthur and Thor being buddies, and so on. It takes place during that big fight that's been in the trailers so far - which means either it's somewhere in the middle of the story mode, or the story mode starts en media res. I could see either one, but lean towards the latter. And honestly, that might be nice - skip over the predictable BS of the different universes' characters first meeting, general confusion at what's going on and who the other group is, misunderstandings leading to filler fights, etc, and just get right to them acting as a team to save their worlds from the big menace. So, it could end up more fun than the trailers so far have made it look.

I would like that we get some actual tie-in comics like we got with Injustice and Injustice 2 to help easing in the plot of the game.

Velaryon
2017-06-14, 03:22 PM
There's a game I've been trying to remember for the longest time, and I think this thread might be the place for it. Maybe someone here will recognize it.

There was a fighting game for the Nintendo 64 (and maybe Playstation 1 as well, I'm not sure), I think it was a one-off rather than part of a series. I don't remember anything about the story or who the individual characters were, save that it was an unarmed game (i.e. no swords, staves, axes, etc.). The one and only thing that made this game stand out was that it had a really neat Create a Fighter mode. After designing your character, you could enter a training mode where you would fight the regular characters from the game, and if you defeated them you could learn one of their moves. So it was possible to assemble your own custom move set made up of moves from all the different characters, which I haven't seen before or since in any other game.

Does anyone recognize the game I'm talking about?

Hiro Protagonest
2017-06-14, 05:14 PM
Well, it's not an N64 game.

The very imaginatively-titled Fighter Maker. It could barely handle one custom fighter, actually, then it kinda ran out of memory space, but it was still a nice idea.

Zevox
2017-06-14, 06:58 PM
I would like that we get some actual tie-in comics like we got with Injustice and Injustice 2 to help easing in the plot of the game.
Hm, I wouldn't necessarily bet on that, since nothing of the sort has been announced yet and the game's only two months out, but eh, who knows, Marvel could decide to follow DC's lead there.

danzibr
2017-06-15, 04:59 PM
A thought hit me. There was one other fighting game I thought I might like, Final Fantasy Dissidia. It's more of a traditional fighting game (comparing it to Smash Bros here). Then I realized... I think one of the main reasons I like Smash Bros so much is because of the cast.

Zevox
2017-06-15, 05:41 PM
A thought hit me. There was one other fighting game I thought I might like, Final Fantasy Dissidia. It's more of a traditional fighting game (comparing it to Smash Bros here). Then I realized... I think one of the main reasons I like Smash Bros so much is because of the cast.
Having played a little of it, I would have to disagree with you there - I think Smash is much closer to a traditional fighting game than Dissidia. I found Dissidia just weird, personally. Granted it's been a while since I played it, since I didn't really like it that much, but about the only thing from its battle system that I recall which would be closer to a traditional fighting game than in Smash is that it has health bars.

Since you're interested, though, a PS4 version of Dissidia was announced this E3. Apparently it's called Dissidia Final Fantasy NT. Honestly, I'm surprised it took them this long to get around to making a console version of the game.

Oh, on Marvel Infinite, Zero showed up in a gameplay trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8qkbbEkTBQ&t=0s) that evidently debuted quietly sometime during E3, so that seems to confirm that he's the one Capcom character the leaker wasn't sure of. I'm pretty happy with that myself. Zero's a character I always wanted to play in Marvel 3 but could never seem to quite get the hang of - maybe I'll manage better in Infinite. Oh, and that trailer shows some of Thanos' gameplay, and he definitely looks like he has different moves than he did in Marvel 2 and earlier, so that's cool too.

danzibr
2017-06-15, 06:00 PM
Having played a little of it, I would have to disagree with you there - I think Smash is much closer to a traditional fighting game than Dissidia. I found Dissidia just weird, personally. Granted it's been a while since I played it, since I didn't really like it that much, but about the only thing from its battle system that I recall which would be closer to a traditional fighting game than in Smash is that it has health bars.

Since you're interested, though, a PS4 version of Dissidia was announced this E3. Apparently it's called Dissidia Final Fantasy NT. Honestly, I'm surprised it took them this long to get around to making a console version of the game.

Oh, on Marvel Infinite, Zero showed up in a gameplay trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8qkbbEkTBQ&t=0s) that evidently debuted quietly sometime during E3, so that seems to confirm that he's the one Capcom character the leaker wasn't sure of. I'm pretty happy with that myself. Zero's a character I always wanted to play in Marvel 3 but could never seem to quite get the hang of - maybe I'll manage better in Infinite. Oh, and that trailer shows some of Thanos' gameplay, and he definitely looks like he has different moves than he did in Marvel 2 and earlier, so that's cool too.
Oh hmm, interesting.

Thanks for the info!

Mikemical
2017-06-15, 07:31 PM

Dissidia is a fun game, but it sadly won't be seeing anyone calling it a proper fighting game because of how unbalanced the game is. What with the multiple moves you can pick from, to the multitude of gear you can equip, one character has nigh-infinite combinations, and some are objectively better than others. I'm still looking forward for NT, though.

riswansupriadi
2017-06-15, 08:34 PM
marii bergembira dan bermain game yg seru seru abis ini...

Zevox
2017-06-22, 07:40 PM
So, we already have our first new character revealed for Dragon Ball FighterZ: Future Trunks (http://gematsu.com/2017/06/dragon-ball-fighterz-adds-trunks). Who is pretty high on the predictability list (the only character I'd have been more certain of seeing who wasn't already revealed would be Piccolo), but eh, still a character reveal only a week or so after the game was announced.

I will say, much as exactly who ends up on the roster of that game doesn't matter a lot to me, it is kind of nice to have the future version of Trunks rather than the kid one. Hopefully he'll use his sword to help distinguish him from the other Saiyans.

Dissidia is a fun game, but it sadly won't be seeing anyone calling it a proper fighting game because of how unbalanced the game is. What with the multiple moves you can pick from, to the multitude of gear you can equip, one character has nigh-infinite combinations, and some are objectively better than others. I'm still looking forward for NT, though.
Eh, that's less of a reason to not call it a "proper fighting game" than it is a reason for it not to develop a big competitive scene. And then, imbalance alone doesn't stop that - I mean, the Marvel vs Capcom games basically laugh at the notion of balance but still have major competitive followings.

Mikemical
2017-07-17, 07:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Qw-ztFrK4

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Zevox
2017-07-17, 05:23 PM
I know, right? When I saw that trailer on the Evo stream and caught Yu (and what I at first thought was Yosuke) jumping on-screen with Ragna and Jin I literally let out an involuntary "holy ****!" Between DBFZ and that it's like ArcSys is out to take over as the new king of team fighters or something. Not that I mind in the slightest.

That said, I have to wonder: they've got a crossover fighting game that BlazBlue is headlining, basically crossing over several major anime-style fighters... but they didn't include Guilty Gear? I mean, you'd think that a BlazBlue/Guilty Gear crossover game would be the biggest no-brainer for them, yet here we have a game in that kind of vein, but with only one of the two. It's very weird.

Anyway, I'm absolutely getting that - my only concern about it is going to be the roster. Mostly because the characters I play in BlazBlue and Persona Arena are not exactly the ones that would be the first, guaranteed picks for a crossover title, and with a third series that I barely knew about in the mix taking up space and ArcSys' tendency towards smaller rosters, I may find myself in an awkward position character-wise. I mean, in BlazBlue I've been a Platinum main for a long time, picked up Nine as a strong second-favorite in Central Fiction, and otherwise dabbled at best with a few more. In Persona meanwhile I mained Rise, and before her Labrys, with only relatively light play on a couple of others. I don't really know if I can expect Platinum, Nine, or Rise, and while Labrys probably has a good shot I won't be too thrilled if I don't get anyone better than her. I guess I can always fall back on Jin, whom I played before picking up Platinum, or go to a similarly basic character like Ragna or Yu, but I don't particularly want to.

On the subject of BlazBlue though, Jubei!!!!! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aewAKIak15o) Finally! I don't even care if he ends up being a difficult character I can't possibly play decently (there are some shades of Tao to what we see of his moveset), I'm totally buying him regardless. Been waiting for him to be playable since game 1. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and I'm thinking I'll pick up Tekken 7 soon and give that a try. Between Max's videos of it and watching some of it during Evo weekend, I'm interested enough to give it a shot. Need to wrap up Persona 5 first, but I'm at what I'm sure is the final dungeon, so that shouldn't take long.

Winthur
2017-07-17, 05:55 PM
Anyone in the EU zone (I'm peculiar about my ping) willing to school a noob in Skullgirls from time to time? I play Valentine.

Also, random questions:
- MK9 or 10?
- SF4 or 5?
- Is KOF13 played much?

heronbpv
2017-07-17, 06:47 PM
@Winthur:
1- MK9. If we're talking PC, even more so, since MK10 doesn't work properly on the plataform since launch.
2- Tekken 7 or KoF 14 :p
3- KoF 13 is good, but no idea about the current state of it's online scene. It's probably reduced since KoF 14's launch.

Also, watched some of EVO's finals, and damn, the KoF 14 one was nuts. Same for the Tekken 7. And Tokido man, he was a beast!

And I start yelling hooray after the announcement of Geese Howard as the new DLC character of Tekken. Good lord, gonna main him hard! RAISING STOOOOOOORM!!

Zevox
2017-07-17, 06:49 PM
Also, random questions:
- MK9 or 10?
Can't technically make a recommendation on quality since I haven't played 10, but I'll say this: I can't imagine 9 has much of an online community at this point, since it's online was famously bad, and 10's at least has reputedly been made a lot better due to a major overhaul it received post-release. Put that together with 9 being the older game, and I doubt you'll find much of anyone playing it.

- SF4 or 5?
Depends. Do you want more to do single-player or a bigger roster? Get 4 - SF5 has very little in the way of single-player modes (not even an arcade mode) and less than half the roster that 4 does, even counting the DLC characters. Do you just want to jump online and play some games? Get 5 - the online's pretty solid and likely has more players at this point, and some of the new characters are fun.

Also, watched some of EVO's finals, and damn, the KoF 14 one was nuts. Same for the Tekken 7. And Tokido man, he was a beast!
BlazBlue and Smash 4 were the best for me. Salem's Bayonetta was just a joy to watch, and much as I wanted one of the Nine players to be in the finals instead, Fenrich's Jin coming within a hair's breadth of running things back against that dominant Carl was spectacular. Not quite as spectacular as the grand finals from the last time BlazBlue was at Evo, I'll grant, but that's still my favorite Evo match from all the years I've been watching period, so even getting close to that is impressive.

Mikemical
2017-07-18, 07:42 AM
That said, I have to wonder: they've got a crossover fighting game that BlazBlue is headlining, basically crossing over several major anime-style fighters... but they didn't include Guilty Gear? I mean, you'd think that a BlazBlue/Guilty Gear crossover game would be the biggest no-brainer for them, yet here we have a game in that kind of vein, but with only one of the two. It's very weird.

I think it's because since GG went back to being on the spotlight with Xrd 2 Revelator, they don't want to suddenly interrupt the story by throwing them into a multi-versal free-for-all, since BlazBlue is over, and I don't think there might be a P4 Arena 3. I do hope that the game will have a story, just so we can get the character interactions between the Persona, Blazblue and RWBY cast. Also, there was talk about a RWBY fighting game before EVO, so maybe this is ArcSys testing if that would be viable, since RWBY just hit Japan this month.

Oh, and I'm thinking I'll pick up Tekken 7 soon and give that a try. Between Max's videos of it and watching some of it during Evo weekend, I'm interested enough to give it a shot. Need to wrap up Persona 5 first, but I'm at what I'm sure is the final dungeon, so that shouldn't take long.

I definitely would if I had a PS4 and didn't live in some communist godforsaken banana republic. I've had every Tekken game before it except the PSP ones, and I can tell it's great. I was initially afraid of the Rage Arts, since when they added the Brave Edge mechanics in Soul Calibur V it felt kinda Street Fighter-ish, but upon viewing gameplay I can tell they aren't that OP. Except Miguel's.

On the subject of BlazBlue though, Jubei!!!!! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aewAKIak15o) Finally! I don't even care if he ends up being a difficult character I can't possibly play decently (there are some shades of Tao to what we see of his moveset), I'm totally buying him regardless. Been waiting for him to be playable since game 1. :smallbiggrin:

Way to wait until the story ended to release the most anticipated character in the series as playable. At this rate I expected they would make Linhua playable before him.

Velaryon
2017-07-18, 01:27 PM
Well, it's not an N64 game.

The very imaginatively-titled Fighter Maker. It could barely handle one custom fighter, actually, then it kinda ran out of memory space, but it was still a nice idea.

Hmm... can't be the same one then. I'm quite sure that the one I played was on the N64.

Zevox
2017-07-18, 05:03 PM
I think it's because since GG went back to being on the spotlight with Xrd 2 Revelator, they don't want to suddenly interrupt the story by throwing them into a multi-versal free-for-all, since BlazBlue is over, and I don't think there might be a P4 Arena 3. I do hope that the game will have a story, just so we can get the character interactions between the Persona, Blazblue and RWBY cast. Also, there was talk about a RWBY fighting game before EVO, so maybe this is ArcSys testing if that would be viable, since RWBY just hit Japan this month.
Oh, I definitely don't think we've seen the last of BlazBlue or Persona Arena. BlazBlue's first big storyline is over, but if the ending of Central Fiction wasn't setup for something to come, I'll be astounded - especially since I think Naoto's entire purpose in the game was to be further foreshadowing and setup for it (since he sure as heck didn't do anything to further the actual plot). I think with the next storyline it looks like instead of alternate timelines and a time loop, we're going to be dealing with alternate realities in some way, which will certainly allow the writers to continue making things screwy and confusing, as they seem to enjoy doing. And as for Persona, I figure Persona 5 Arena is inevitable with how successful P5 has been and how much Atlus has liked making crossover spin-offs of Persona since the series gained its popularity.

Also, I don't really see how a crossover title influences the story of whatever they've got going on in Guilty Gear. I mean, it's going to be a non-canonical side-game whenever they do it, and clearly ArcSys is capable is making multiple fighting games at once at this point, since they currently have at least Dragon Ball FighterZ and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle on their plate, plus probably something going on for at least one of their main series.

As for this RWBY thing, I don't really know anything about it, but the descriptions I've read has called that Rose character a "guest character" - so, unless that's inaccurate, BBCTB doesn't actually include that whole series in any way, just the one character as a guest. The third game in the crossover is that Under Night series with a long name that I can never remember in full.

I definitely would if I had a PS4 and didn't live in some communist godforsaken banana republic. I've had every Tekken game before it except the PSP ones, and I can tell it's great. I was initially afraid of the Rage Arts, since when they added the Brave Edge mechanics in Soul Calibur V it felt kinda Street Fighter-ish, but upon viewing gameplay I can tell they aren't that OP. Except Miguel's.
See, my situation is that I've never actually played any Tekken game before. I was a little tempted to try Tag 2, but never got around to it. Otherwise, the closest I've come is playing a couple of Soul Calibur games (2, 4, 5), and Street Fighter x Tekken. And well, I never played all that much of the former, which are the only 3D fighters I've put any real time into, and the latter obviously plays nothing like actual Tekken. SFxT does at least give me some familiarity with the characters of the series though, so I have a few ideas who I'll want to try out first when I give the game a go.

Actually, it's kind of weird how in SFxT, I wound up playing almost exclusively Tekken characters. The only Street Fighter character I used was Juri, while on the Tekken side I mained Hwoarang, spent a lot of time with Alisa and Lili, some time with Asuka and Raven, and even tried to learn Ogre a little bit.

Way to wait until the story ended to release the most anticipated character in the series as playable. At this rate I expected they would make Linhua playable before him.
Yeah, I really don't know why he wasn't part of the initial package of Central Fiction's console release. Seems that including him alongside Nine would make a lot of sense, especially with him being the last of the Six Heroes who wasn't playable (unless you don't count Platinum as Trinity, anyway, in which case there's still one left).

darkdragoon
2017-07-19, 01:28 AM
There's a game I've been trying to remember for the longest time, and I think this thread might be the place for it. Maybe someone here will recognize it.

There was a fighting game for the Nintendo 64 (and maybe Playstation 1 as well, I'm not sure), I think it was a one-off rather than part of a series. I don't remember anything about the story or who the individual characters were, save that it was an unarmed game (i.e. no swords, staves, axes, etc.). The one and only thing that made this game stand out was that it had a really neat Create a Fighter mode. After designing your character, you could enter a training mode where you would fight the regular characters from the game, and if you defeated them you could learn one of their moves. So it was possible to assemble your own custom move set made up of moves from all the different characters, which I haven't seen before or since in any other game.

Does anyone recognize the game I'm talking about?

Deadly Arts allowed you to train a fighter and learn moves.

Fighter's Destiny 2 allowed you to learn moves from your opponents. I'm not sure if the first game did as well.

Dual Heroes had a "robot" mode where the AI would try and mimic your actions.

Flying Dragon had a gear system with some quirks-- as they leveled up some items would open up to more characters, and yet others were more exclusive: ie the level 1 claw could be used by several, but the level 3 became for one user only.

Fri
2017-07-19, 02:54 AM

Fighter's Destiny 2 allowed you to learn moves from your opponents. I'm not sure if the first game did as well.

Flying Dragon had a gear system with some quirks-- as they leveled up some items would open up to more characters, and yet others were more exclusive: ie the level 1 claw could be used by several, but the level 3 became for one user only.

If you checked his next post he already found the game he's looking for and it's not any of those :smallwink:

Velaryon
2017-07-20, 10:29 AM

I looked at a Youtube video of Deadly Arts. I'm pretty sure that's the one.

I didn't look at Fighter's Destiny 2, but as far as I can tell the first one didn't have such a mode.

It pretty much has to be Deadly Arts. With a generic name like that, no wonder I couldn't find it. Thanks!

Mikemical
2017-07-21, 11:11 AM
New Trailer for Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wmNnOx6UQw

Glad to see Spidey and Frank made it back, as well as Haggar(Would've preferred Zangief, but eh, maybe too many Street Fighter Characters), not really feeling Nemesis, personally. I expected Gamora to appear in her MCU version, though not complaining about the battlesuit.

Zevox
2017-07-21, 05:15 PM
The interesting thing to me about that is that, since Haggar wasn't on the previously-leaked roster list, it seems to confirm the datamined one (https://www.reddit.com/r/mvci/comments/6h59dt/full_mvci_roster_datamined/) that included him and several others in addition to that leak's characters. Two things about that, though:

- It includes characters that we know to be DLC (Sigma and Black Panther, plus the rumored-to-be-DLC Venom), so not every unannounced character on it may be in the base roster.
- With regard to DLC, it's imbalanced between the two sides if all of the six planned first wave of DLC are in there. Every Capcom character on that list except the Monster Hunter has been announced already, and only Sigma has been announced as DLC - plus Hunter was on the first leak's list, so presumably he's a base roster character. Which either means they're going the weird route of releasing the game with more Capcom characters than Marvel ones and having more Marvel than Capcom in the first wave of DLC, or some of the DLC characters aren't among this list. Given the way the character select screen is split between the two sides, I'm thinking the latter is more likely, which is good since that's the better of the two possibilities.

So yeah, that leaves MvCI's roster in a more interesting place than it has been - some actual uncertainty is in the equation again. Also, personally, of the datamined characters, I really hope Dormammu is in the base roster. The rest of them don't really do anything for me, but he was one of my favorites in MvC3, so if I can get him I'll actually have two characters from MvC3 that I played that I can default back to if I don't like any newcomers (the other being Dante).

As far the recent announcements, mostly meh for me. Never played the returning characters in 3, likely won't in Infinite. I did like what I saw of Gamora, and even Jedah, at Evo though. Gamora will probably be the first newcomer I try out, because a team of Dante and Gamora would be too sick not to use if I wind up liking her - two very different characters who nonetheless both rock an arsenal of weapons ranging from swords to guns? Yes please. And Jedah, well, I'm not a Darkstalkers fan, but I liked what I saw of him enough to give him a try. I won't be too surprised if I wind up not using him just like the other Darkstalkers, but he's piqued my interest more than Felicia ever did, at least.

danzibr
2017-07-24, 07:51 PM
Hey, I don't know if this is the right thread for this (I could make a new one), but any thoughts on For Honor?

Zevox
2017-07-25, 12:17 AM
So, I went ahead and picked up Tekken 7, and have been playing it just a little bit. Haven't gone online or anything yet, I'm still getting my bearings, which is not proving easy. Coming into a 3D fighter from 2D fighters is pretty jarring, what with jumping being nothing like it is in 2D games, sidestepping being a thing you need to use and deal with, almost nobody having any projectile moves, overheads being super-common all over the place, the way knockdowns work being drastically different (I actually need to look up how they work, I'm having a time figuring out how to do a basic "stand up and block" option without getting a roll or attack I didn't want), every character having like over 100 moves on their move list ( :smalleek: )...

I tried out the characters I played in SFxT. Hwoarang is definitely a no-go, his different stances complicate things way too much when I don't even have a handle on the game's basics. Asuka and Alisa seem more promising, and Asuka is probably the one I'm the most comfortable with right now - though really that just means I know a combo with her and have used her a little in Treasure Battles (which I apparently need to play a ton of if I want those customization items, which I kind of do...). I still need to try Lili, Master Raven, and maybe Akuma.

I played through the story mode, which was shorter than I expected. Honestly, it kind of feels like the only parts they really wanted in there were the backstory of Heihachi and Kazuya and that final fight at the end, and the rest was just filler - they sure skipped straight to that final fight abruptly enough, anyway. And oh god, that final boss fight was crazy cheap. I had to drop the difficulty to novice to actually beat it, with Kazuya getting that last surge of health and super armor on everything when you get his hp to 0. And somehow, the bonus fight with Akuma was even worse - even on novice it took me so many tries to beat that, because every time I pushed a button he just teleported, parried, focus attacked, or shoryukened me. And then you needed to figure out that you had to do your rage art at the end in the one second you had before he hit you with that Raging Demon, or you just auto-died. Yeesh, that was frustrating.

Murmaider
2017-07-25, 11:37 PM
So, I went ahead and picked up Tekken 7, and have been playing it just a little bit. Haven't gone online or anything yet, I'm still getting my bearings, which is not proving easy. Coming into a 3D fighter from 2D fighters is pretty jarring, what with jumping being nothing like it is in 2D games, sidestepping being a thing you need to use and deal with, almost nobody having any projectile moves, overheads being super-common all over the place, the way knockdowns work being drastically different (I actually need to look up how they work, I'm having a time figuring out how to do a basic "stand up and block" option without getting a roll or attack I didn't want), every character having like over 100 moves on their move list ( :smalleek: )...

Most characters don't really jump much, except up/forward 3 or 4.

Best way to get up as a beginner, is just holding back. It's the only one where you're invincible for some frames.

There's no need to learn every move on that list. Just remember your 10-frame punisher(usually 1,2) and then pick up some mids and at least one low that seem good. Then you need an armor move(the one with a red sign in the move list) and a tracking move(this one has a blue sign). The first one is (mostly) uninterruptable, the second tracks sidestepping in both directions.

Learn the grabs. On low ranks, people won't break them. Break grabs by pressing 1, right when you get grabbed(or 2, when you're up against, Jin, Paul, Lin or Steve. Then there's also King...)

I tried out the characters I played in SFxT. Hwoarang is definitely a no-go, his different stances complicate things way too much when I don't even have a handle on the game's basics. Asuka and Alisa seem more promising, and Asuka is probably the one I'm the most comfortable with right now - though really that just means I know a combo with her and have used her a little in Treasure Battles (which I apparently need to play a ton of if I want those customization items, which I kind of do...). I still need to try Lili, Master Raven, and maybe Akuma.

Hwoarang is hard to play, because of his huge move list, yet, for some reason, it feels like he's the most played character on low ranks.

Josie, Kasumi, Shaheen and Claudio have the shortest move lists of all the characters and are pretty easy to learn. Or stick with Asuka and Alisa, they're pretty beginner friendly as well.

I played through the story mode, which was shorter than I expected. Honestly, it kind of feels like the only parts they really wanted in there were the backstory of Heihachi and Kazuya and that final fight at the end, and the rest was just filler - they sure skipped straight to that final fight abruptly enough, anyway. And oh god, that final boss fight was crazy cheap. I had to drop the difficulty to novice to actually beat it, with Kazuya getting that last surge of health and super armor on everything when you get his hp to 0. And somehow, the bonus fight with Akuma was even worse - even on novice it took me so many tries to beat that, because every time I pushed a button he just teleported, parried, focus attacked, or shoryukened me. And then you needed to figure out that you had to do your rage art at the end in the one second you had before he hit you with that Raging Demon, or you just auto-died. Yeesh, that was frustrating.

That story mode was terrible. Way too few fights and way too much boring exposition, delivered by a character who has no relevance in the Tekken universe at all.

Akuma fighting the Mishimas was pretty dope, though. Too bad Jin didn't get to be part of the action.

By the way; what made you try to learn Tekken? Was it Geese?:smallbiggrin:

Velaryon
2017-07-26, 10:31 AM
Hey, I don't know if this is the right thread for this (I could make a new one), but any thoughts on For Honor?

It's basically a fighting game disguised as Dynasty Warriors. Not bad in concept, but the matchmaking is absolutely horrible, the game balance leaves a lot to be desired, and the faction warfare system is completely broken.

Hwoarang is hard to play, because of his huge move list, yet, for some reason, it feels like he's the most played character on low ranks.

Hwoarang is quite noob-friendly at first, thanks to his easy 4 and 5-kick combos just by spamming the two kick buttons. It works quite well if you're playing against someone who can't deal with simple button-mashing. Once you pass the point where that's no longer effective though, he becomes a LOT harder to play.

Murmaider
2017-07-26, 08:35 PM
Just defeated Akuma as Kazuya on the hardest difficulty. Took me only about 20 billion tries. Still, I couldn't tell you what Akuma says at the beginning of every match.

Then I tried Kasumi for a bit. I was too tired to go online, but I got some perfect treasure matches, by abusing Kasumis tiger-conjuring powers. Tekken bots can not deal with projectiles.:smalltongue:

Zevox
2017-07-26, 09:33 PM
Okay, before I get to responding to people: Dragon Ball FighterZ's beta (http://shoryuken.com/2017/07/26/dragon-ball-fighterz-beta-sign-ups-are-delayed-until-august-22nd-with-the-beta-running-from-september-16th-18th/). On the one hand, it's been delayed, by a full month. On the other hand, that's to increase the capacity for it, and it now has an actual date rather than just a sign-up date: the beta itself will run from September 16th through the 18th. The three days immediately before Marvel vs Capcom Infinite releases on September 19th.

That is awesome! That's going to be a great weekend, getting to try out a game that looks as promising as DBFZ (assuming I can get into the beta, but hopefully since they're specifically shooting for increased capacity...) and then go straight into a new Marvel. But besides that, that has to be deliberate, right? That's ArcSys/Namco inviting people to compare the two. That's some confidence on their part, but I can't say it's unwarranted.

Most characters don't really jump much, except up/forward 3 or 4.

Best way to get up as a beginner, is just holding back. It's the only one where you're invincible for some frames.

There's no need to learn every move on that list. Just remember your 10-frame punisher(usually 1,2) and then pick up some mids and at least one low that seem good. Then you need an armor move(the one with a red sign in the move list) and a tracking move(this one has a blue sign). The first one is (mostly) uninterruptable, the second tracks sidestepping in both directions.

Learn the grabs. On low ranks, people won't break them. Break grabs by pressing 1, right when you get grabbed(or 2, when you're up against, Jin, Paul, Lin or Steve. Then there's also King...)
Hm, okay then. Though does every character even have an armored move? That would surprise me a bit, most fighting games tend to reserve that for the big guys.

Speaking of throws though, well, that's kind of a weakness I have in every fighting game, honestly. Teching throws has never really been something I've managed intentionally, except sometimes with purple throws in BlazBlue - and even then only rarely. It just seems to be something my brain's never quite wrapped itself around the idea of reacting to in the midst of a match... :smallfrown:

Josie, Kasumi, Shaheen and Claudio have the shortest move lists of all the characters and are pretty easy to learn. Or stick with Asuka and Alisa, they're pretty beginner friendly as well.
Hm, yeah, I watched a video yesterday that gave a basic overview of the play style of each character, how hard they are to play, and who they'd be recommended for, and Josie and Claudio were two that caught my eye in that as well. Still, I'm currently looking mostly at Asuka and Lili (whom I toyed around with in training mode for a while last night, and was generally liking). The thing that makes me a bit cautious about Asuka and Alisa is that said video referred to them as very defensive characters in playstyle, and I'm having a bit of a hard time visualizing how to play defensively in a game like this, where projectiles aren't a thing except with Akuma and Eliza (and even there Akuma at least isn't a zoner despite that) and nobody really seems to have a huge range advantage over everyone else ala a Dhalsim type. Lili being considered more of a rushdown type might be a better fit for me to start with.

That story mode was terrible. Way too few fights and way too much boring exposition, delivered by a character who has no relevance in the Tekken universe at all.
I wouldn't agree that that was its problem personally - I completely advocate the mindset of putting in only as many fights as make sense for the story being told, ala BlazBlue's recent entries for example. I was baffled by the purpose of the reporter character though. He's not a playable character, doesn't seem like he would be since there's no indication he can fight, isn't even given a name, and even his voice acting was so monotone it was almost comical. It's like they thought they needed a narrator, but also needed to give him an in-narrative identity, but for some reason didn't want to use any actual character from the series. Just strange.

Akuma fighting the Mishimas was pretty dope, though.
Yeah, that was definitely the best part of it. Cool to see Akuma just kind of show up as if he belonged in the game and kick some ass with the best of the series' badasses - certainly feels like the sort of thing he'd do.

By the way; what made you try to learn Tekken? Was it Geese?:smallbiggrin:
Nah, I'm actually not familiar with him at all, so that announcement did nothing for me. It's mostly the good word-of-mouth, liking what I saw of it both on Maximilian's youtube channel and at Evo, and the fact that I've never really tried a 3D fighter since getting into the genre. I spent some time with Soul Calibur 5 a couple years ago, but not even enough to say I was particularly comfortable with that game. Half of the fun there was just designing custom characters, really. And well, Tekken is definitely the big dog on the block as far as 3D fighting games go, so it seems like the one to try. I actually intended to try it back when Tag 2 was the current game, even, but just never got around to it.

Hwoarang is quite noob-friendly at first, thanks to his easy 4 and 5-kick combos just by spamming the two kick buttons. It works quite well if you're playing against someone who can't deal with simple button-mashing. Once you pass the point where that's no longer effective though, he becomes a LOT harder to play.
Eh, I'd like to at least try to play better than simply button-mashing (whether I succeed is another matter, but still), so I think I'm going to pass on him until/unless I get a lot more comfortable with the game and with stance-change characters generally.

Murmaider
2017-07-26, 11:04 PM
Hm, okay then. Though does every character even have an armored move? That would surprise me a bit, most fighting games tend to reserve that for the big guys.

Every character has at least one armor move. They vary in strength though, so some characters only want to use them when they really have to.

Speaking of throws though, well, that's kind of a weakness I have in every fighting game, honestly. Teching throws has never really been something I've managed intentionally, except sometimes with purple throws in BlazBlue - and even then only rarely. It just seems to be something my brain's never quite wrapped itself around the idea of reacting to in the midst of a match... :smallfrown:

Yeah, it boggles my mind how really good players manage to break every throw the first time. It's possible to see the difference in throws when they occur, not for me though:smallsigh:

On the ranks I'm playing, people usually break simple throws, while tech throws get through, unless someone is really spamming. Regular throws are broken with 1 and tech throws with 1+2, so if I mash 1 when I get grabbed, it's a 50/50. Or I just duck.

Hm, yeah, I watched a video yesterday that gave a basic overview of the play style of each character, how hard they are to play, and who they'd be recommended for, and Josie and Claudio were two that caught my eye in that as well. Still, I'm currently looking mostly at Asuka and Lili (whom I toyed around with in training mode for a while last night, and was generally liking). The thing that makes me a bit cautious about Asuka and Alisa is that said video referred to them as very defensive characters in playstyle, and I'm having a bit of a hard time visualizing how to play defensively in a game like this, where projectiles aren't a thing except with Akuma and Eliza (and even there Akuma at least isn't a zoner despite that) and nobody really seems to have a huge range advantage over everyone else ala a Dhalsim type. Lili being considered more of a rushdown type might be a better fit for me to start with.

Tekken is more about your personal playstyle than what character you actually play. Asuka is good on the defense because of her parries and high damage on launch punishers, but if you can pressure your opponent into ducking at the wrong time, you can play her very aggressive too.
Alisa is good at keeping the opponent out with her long reach, but that reach can also be used as annoying and fairly high damage poke.
Lili can be good on the defense too, because she has the best sidestep in the game.

Lili has some moves that she can only use when her back is turned towards the enemy. Not technically a stance, but it kinda is. Just something to be aware of, if you're specifically looking for characters without a stance.

Velaryon
2017-07-26, 11:20 PM
Eh, I'd like to at least try to play better than simply button-mashing (whether I succeed is another matter, but still), so I think I'm going to pass on him until/unless I get a lot more comfortable with the game and with stance-change characters generally.

I didn't mean to suggest that you play Hwoarang, merely to mention that button mashers often find initial success with him because he has a couple of easy and spammable kick combos. If anything, that's probably more useful to you as something to look out for.

Tekken 6 was the last one I played, and most of my experience comes from before that. But for good characters who don't do much with stance changes, you can't go wrong with Paul or any of the Mishima/Kazama family members. Or if you do decide to try out characters with different stances, Lei and Xiaoyu are two of my favorites.

Zevox
2017-07-29, 01:16 AM
Tekken is more about your personal playstyle than what character you actually play. Asuka is good on the defense because of her parries and high damage on launch punishers, but if you can pressure your opponent into ducking at the wrong time, you can play her very aggressive too.
Alisa is good at keeping the opponent out with her long reach, but that reach can also be used as annoying and fairly high damage poke.
Lili can be good on the defense too, because she has the best sidestep in the game.
Perhaps, but I figure it's probably best to aim for my first character to be someone that's suited to how I'd like to play, particularly since I'll be learning a system that's very foreign to me here as a 2D fighting game player.

Lili has some moves that she can only use when her back is turned towards the enemy. Not technically a stance, but it kinda is. Just something to be aware of, if you're specifically looking for characters without a stance.
Yes, but that actually doesn't bother me. There's only a few things that put her in that stance, and only a few things she does out of it, all of them pretty straightforward. The thing that's scaring me away from Hwoarang is primarily that even which side of his body is facing the camera is technically a stance and changes his moves, which seems nuts. And to a lesser degree Flamingo Stance, which seems very awkward to control, but if it were just that I could simply try to avoid it.

Anyway, I actually went online and played some matches the past couple of nights! To very mixed results. Mostly lost, of course, though that's to be expected when I've never played the game or even series before and didn't get it day 1. Had everything from an awful connection with a button-masher I couldn't do anything about due to the connection eating almost all my inputs, to decent matches with people who only rematched if they lost and left as soon as they got a win (was using Player Matches, not ranked), to players who were clearly way beyond me and left after only one fight, to a player who was clearly beyond me but kept playing but eventually started acting like a jackass about it, to finally a single opponent who was of similar skill to me who actually stuck around for a good half-dozen or so games. That last was the best part, obviously, I feel like I got a lot more comfortable with some things thanks to it.

I was playing Lili, and some things are definitely taking some getting used to. Timing on just about everything, obviously, but besides that, a big one is lows. I mean, I can't exactly get anyone with those big damage launchers if they never block low, so I need to use them - but her down 3 seems to be slower than I thought from how it looked, her down 4 is a little awkward in that it leaves her crouching, and neither of them knock down or lead to any combos. Her down-back 4 does, but it's crazy slow and I'd be shocked if it's not punishable as heck on block, so I keep being afraid to use it. I kind of feel like I may have to do though, since it's the only low she has that seems that threatening.

Another thing is sidesteps. I've yet to use them basically at all, and when I face anyone who can incorporate them into their play, I get blown up easily. That's just one of those things that's really going to screw with me for a while, I think.

Also, I'm going to need to break the habit of throwing out super raw when I get it. I do that a lot against the computer in Treasure Battles, because it generally just gets hit by it and loses the match, but it's more likely to lose me the match off the punish than win it for me online.

Murmaider
2017-07-31, 07:20 AM
Perhaps, but I figure it's probably best to aim for my first character to be someone that's suited to how I'd like to play, particularly since I'll be learning a system that's very foreign to me here as a 2D fighting game player.

Sure, I hear ya. i guess what I was trying to imply, was, that it doesn't matter which character you start with. The fundamentals are what Tekken is about and what you learn on one character, will translate to everyone else, or, at least, will give you better match-up knowledge.

I was playing Lili, and some things are definitely taking some getting used to. Timing on just about everything, obviously, but besides that, a big one is lows. I mean, I can't exactly get anyone with those big damage launchers if they never block low, so I need to use them - but her down 3 seems to be slower than I thought from how it looked, her down 4 is a little awkward in that it leaves her crouching, and neither of them knock down or lead to any combos. Her down-back 4 does, but it's crazy slow and I'd be shocked if it's not punishable as heck on block, so I keep being afraid to use it. I kind of feel like I may have to do though, since it's the only low she has that seems that threatening.

Another thing is sidesteps. I've yet to use them basically at all, and when I face anyone who can incorporate them into their play, I get blown up easily. That's just one of those things that's really going to screw with me for a while, I think.

Well, if your gameplan requires them to duck, you'll have to give them a reason to. I wouldn't worry too much about your lows getting punished. You gotta throw stuff out there to find out how your opponent reacts.

Sidestepping is something that comes with better matchup knowledge. If you keep getting hit by the same move and you feel there's no way to punish it on block and you can't duck under it, then you probably found a move that needs to be sidestepped.
Other moves can be sidestepped as well, but often have very restrictive timing and/or they're homing to one side.

If you're opponents keep sidestepping, it's maybe time to give that d/b 4 another go:smalltongue:

Mikemical
2017-07-31, 09:07 AM
We talking Tekken now? Cool.

I got the third game for my PSX and played it to death, then my cousin got his PS2 and we played through 4, Tag and 5. Hwoarang was always my main pick up until 6 where he got some of his moves changed(you could no longer get a 5-kick combo with just one button, Hunting Owl lost priority, though the new grabs in different stances are pretty damn cool), though the one I felt was the most changed was Jin from 4 to 6, in 3 he was a Kazuya clone with some new moves thrown in, but starting in 5 he started getting more technical.

In 6 I switched to Lars because unless you learned how to use him, you would have a bad time going through the story mode. I also picked up Miguel and enjoyed how goofy he was despite hitting like a truck, and even knocking people flat out with his taunt-punch.

I wish I had a way to play 7, because what I've liked what I've seen. Also, that SF is somewhat canon within the Tekken-verse is kind of cool, just so we can forget that horrible mess that was SFxTekken.

Zevox
2017-08-17, 05:31 PM
So, we got a new story mode trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=UEmhvPoWHWY) for Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, and it actually looks surprisingly good. Perhaps it's partially because they don't linger on any shot long enough for things like Chun-Li's blank stare to become an issue, but they actually make it looks like a legit, cinematic story mode, similar to what NetherRealm has done in their games. It looks like Jedah will be a major antagonist for the game in addition to Ultron-Sigma (unclear on whether he's aligned with Ultron-Sigma or a secondary villain, but he seems implied to be allied with Dormammu and Firebrand, and to have the Venom Symbiote under his control). It's a little interesting to hear that Ultron-Sigma only has two of the Infinity Stones - perhaps Jedah has another one or two, and the heroes get ahold of the others? There's also a cameo by Doctor Light, which was very unexpected and great to see.

On another note: Dragon Ball FighterZ (http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/17/super-saiyan-blue-goku-and-vegeta-are-coming-to-dragon-ball-fighterz/) news! Androids 18 and 16 are confirmed to be playable, but evidently, not 17. He is instead a part of 18's moveset, being summoned to assist her for at least one of her supers and many of her specials. So, sort of like Personas in Persona 4 Arena, I'm thinking, except only for specials rather than normal moves - I kind of like that, I'll have to try her/them out (maybe they'll be in the beta?). And evidently, Android 16 will be a significant player in the story mode, which involves dead characters like him being brought back to fight the heroes. That's probably how they're explaining having characters from different periods in the series' story all around in one story mode. Oh, and on a neat note, there's apparently going to be an online mode where each character on your team can be controlled by a different player, resulting in 6-player matches - that's a neat option, the only similar thing I recall is SFxT's 2v2 mode.

Velaryon
2017-08-21, 10:57 AM
We talking Tekken now? Cool.

I got the third game for my PSX and played it to death, then my cousin got his PS2 and we played through 4, Tag and 5. Hwoarang was always my main pick up until 6 where he got some of his moves changed(you could no longer get a 5-kick combo with just one button, Hunting Owl lost priority, though the new grabs in different stances are pretty damn cool), though the one I felt was the most changed was Jin from 4 to 6, in 3 he was a Kazuya clone with some new moves thrown in, but starting in 5 he started getting more technical.

In 6 I switched to Lars because unless you learned how to use him, you would have a bad time going through the story mode. I also picked up Miguel and enjoyed how goofy he was despite hitting like a truck, and even knocking people flat out with his taunt-punch.

I wish I had a way to play 7, because what I've liked what I've seen. Also, that SF is somewhat canon within the Tekken-verse is kind of cool, just so we can forget that horrible mess that was SFxTekken.

Ugh, that story mode in 6 completely killed my love for Tekken. I played a fair amount of 3 and 4 in college, but none of my friends back home like fighting games much so I mostly played 5 by myself. It was bad enough that 6 was one of those games where you can't read anything if you don't have an HD television (I didn't at the time), but the bosses were absurdly difficult to the point where I could only win through sheer dumb luck and trying 20 freakin' times. I haven't touched the game in years now, and while I do kinda miss it, I would only go back to 4 or 5 at this point, because 6 can die in a fire and 7 looks like more of the same.

Zevox
2017-08-22, 11:52 PM
So, more Dragon Ball FighterZ (http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/22/dragon-ball-fighterz-slated-for-a-february-2018-release-closed-beta-sign-ups-are-now-live/) news quick on the heels of the last. We got a new trailer showing off Piccolo, Krillin, and the Androids in action, which looks pretty sick. In addition though, it actually gives the release window for the game: February 2018. Which is pretty surprisingly fast, I have to say, especially for the western version of an ArcSys game, which typically takes a few months from when the Japanese version comes out. Namco's influence, perhaps? I just hope it doesn't portend the game being rushed in some way - though with ArcSys' track record and how great the game looks even at this stage, I can't say I'm too worried about that.

Beyond that though, they've also begun registration for the closed beta, if anyone else is interested. No guarantees you get in of course, but if you do, it'll be going on in mid-September, and apparently include all 11 currently-announced playable characters. And there will apparently also be an open beta later, which is mentioned briefly in the trailer. Which is nice, but I still really want to get into the closed beta - getting to try out DBFZ the weekend right before Marvel Infinite comes out just seems too perfect and fun.

Zevox
2017-09-13, 06:56 PM
So, I've recently gotten back into playing BlazBlue, thanks to the release of Jubei, and it has been great. Jubei's a lot of fun, fortunately not too difficult to play, and very different from other characters I've played in the series - he's pure rushdown, while I'm accustomed to more balanced types (Jin in CT and CS, Platinum) or more zoning-oriented characters (Hazama in CS, Lambda briefly, Nine), so there's some definite adjusting I have to do to him, and it's fun just trying to learn the different skills he takes compared to them. But even though I'm getting my butt kicked consistently, because almost everyone still playing online is easily better than me (and the ones that aren't are often laggy...), it's still a ton of fun. Honestly, more than I've had with any fighting game in quite some time. I just wish I had more free time to spend on it.

Which maybe makes it a bit of a mixed blessing that I didn't get into the Dragon Ball FighterZ beta that's happening this weekend. Disappointing, I really wanted to try that out, but more time for BlazBlue.

But that'll end come next Tuesday, because that is finally the release of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite! Which I'm definitely looking forward to at this point - even if I like none of the new characters I've at least got Dante and Dormammu to fall back on, and I think odds are I'll like at least a couple, since every new character in the roster interests me to at least some degree. I'm seriously crossing my fingers for good netcode though, I could not deal with Marvel 3 level online these days. It needs to be at least up to SF5's standard, preferably better.

Zejety
2017-09-17, 02:24 PM
I'm currently having a great time with the early access version of Sirlin's Fantasy Strike.
It's a game deliberately designed to be simple to understand and execute, so it's

a great entrypoint for new FG players
a game for players who struggle with execution
intermediate players who still never quite reached the "mindgames" stage of high-level play
a game that players of different FGs can easily pick up and play against eachother with little prep

It's currently pre-alpha and only launched on EA a couple days ago, so the matchmaking queue can be a allegedly a little empty at times, but I've consistently found opponents, even in the EU.
This may not replace everyones' "main games" but it's a really fun diversion and can be played seriously. It's interesting to see how much complexity one can strip from the genre while retaining much of the mindgames and depth.

Anyone else playing it?

Zevox
2017-09-17, 02:56 PM
No, I think I've seen mention of it once or twice on Shoryuken, but haven't played it myself. Looking it up, seems fun, but it's steam exclusive, and I don't trust my computer to run a fighting game well. I'd try it out if they had a PS4 version, but for now, sadly no dice.

Zejety
2017-09-17, 02:58 PM
No, I think I've seen mention of it once or twice on Shoryuken, but haven't played it myself. Looking it up, seems fun, but it's steam exclusive, and I don't trust my computer to run a fighting game well. I'd try it out if they had a PS4 version, but for now, sadly no dice.
My PC runs the game fine on a lower resolution and it's pretty old too (bought it when Diablo III came out). That being said, it is pretty unoptimized at the moment (which is to be expected).
A PS4 version is indeed planned, but sadly not available yet (I understand that Sony is not a fan of unfinished games on their platform).

Edit: Steam refunds are still a thing, so you could always test how the game runs on your PC.

Mikemical
2017-09-18, 04:24 PM
Behold, the cornerstones of our universe's creation!

The Infinity Easter Eggs! (http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/09/15/marvel-vs-capcom-infinites-collector-edition-infinity-letdown/)

Zevox
2017-09-18, 05:23 PM
Behold, the cornerstones of our universe's creation!

The Infinity Easter Eggs! (http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/09/15/marvel-vs-capcom-infinites-collector-edition-infinity-letdown/)
Yeah, I saw that. I would probably be pretty upset if I were the sort of person who actually bought collectors editions, but fortunately I am not. Really sad for those who were expecting something like the cool design they originally advertised, though.

Definitely looking forward to tomorrow. I need to try out all the new characters, get started learning how Dante and Dormammu differ from their MvC3 versions, figure out which Infinity Stone(s) I'll prefer (currently liking the look of Time, Reality, and Mind, maybe Soul) - oh, and play through the story mode I suppose, see if that's any good. But mostly figure out who I'll play and start practicing for online, and cross my fingers that the early reports I've seen of it being good are accurate.

Zevox
2017-09-20, 12:17 AM
So, is anybody else playing Marvel Infinite now that it's out? I've gone through the story mode, spent a lot of time in training mode, and played just a bit online today. Impressions:

In general, the game's plenty fun, very Marvel despite the lack of assists. The combos have become incredibly open and freeform in this one, even compared to MvC3. It's amazing how easy it is to extend combos even with characters who previously mostly had to make do with shorter ones, like Dormammu, and somebody like Dante pretty much gets to make his combo go until proration says it has to stop every time, and can mix and match how he does it. Throw in the tag mechanic and well, yeah, when you get a hit, it shouldn't be hard to get good damage on it with pretty well any team. (Except maybe a throw, who can get a combo after those seems more limited.)

The story mode was decent - fun little action romp, nothing to write home about, but it's what you kind of want out of a crossover that makes as little sense as this one. You get to see things like Ultron and Sigma meeting and fusing, Thor getting infected by the sigma virus, Thanos stealing the Satsui No Hado from Ryu, Dante and Tony Stark being total bros while Captains America and Marvel get exasperated over it; just random fun stuff in a totally nonsensical action story. 6/10, might play again sometime, probably won't, but it was fun.

Anyway, the online! It's fairly good! I am kind of annoyed that, as far as I can tell, you can't see what your opponent's connection quality is in ranked. But I set it to search for people with a rating of 4+ (out of 5), was finding people in short enough order, and the connections were mostly okay. Some jittering sometimes, but usually relatively smooth. Definitely a far cry better than Marvel 3. I played a team of Dante and Captain Marvel, using the Reality Stone. Still not sure that's the stone I want to stick with for that team (and it doesn't help that I often forget it's there...), but it seems like the easiest to use while I'm still learning the basics. I played a number of people who clearly didn't know what they were doing and won those easily, but a couple of others that had some idea what to do. Beat two of those - narrowly, against a Spider-Man/Chun-Li player who was all over the place with their innate speed and the Time Stone - and lost to one, a Haggar/Thanos player using the Power Stone. Mostly because of Haggar: the pipe is still very strong, and I could not find a way to handle it in the couple of rounds I had.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun, and looking forward to playing more. I'm not completely sure Dante and Captain Marvel will be my main team - pretty sure Dante will be on it, but Captain Marvel just seems like the easiest to learn of the other characters I'm interested in for now. I was liking Dormammu, Thanos, and Ultron too though, and to a lesser extent Gammora, X, Zero, and Dr. Strange, but all of them will be harder to learn/adjust to. (Surprisingly, I even think Dormammu will be harder to adjust to in this version than Dante, even though you'd think Dante would be the one who was more thrown off by the new control scheme. They did a few weird things with Dorm, while with Dante I can just mostly ignore the kick buttons when it comes to normals and learn the new properties of his specials and be fine.)