PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Recreate the characters from "The Princess Bride"

krunchyfrogg
2017-05-16, 03:23 PM
I have my own ideas, but I'd like to see what y'all think.

MadBear
2017-05-16, 03:45 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts: Battlemaster fighter
Inigo Montoya: Battlemaster fighter
Fezzik: Battlemaster fighter

why you ask. Both Wesley and Inigo disarm their opponents, something only a BM fighter can do. Fezzik intimidates his foes using fear, again something only a BM fighter can do.

You might justify swashbuckler rogue as well. I mean the hard part is that there are few non-magic characters in the handbook.

Rohim Firesword
2017-05-16, 04:01 PM
I see Fezzik as Bear Barbarian, myself; he has incredible physical strength and resists damage-look how long it took him to pass out while being strangled. Although Path of the Berserker gets intimidate, so it could just be absurd CON and STR.
Battlemaster definitely fits all the swordsmen.
Miracle Max gets resurrection, so probably a Cleric variant?

Corran
2017-05-16, 04:55 PM
Ok, this one I had seen posted by someone in this forum (unfortunately dont remember who it was to quote him).

Two bladesingers start a duel and spend the first few rounds using extra attack. Then...

BS1: ''I admit it, you are better than I am!''
BS2: ''Then why are you smiling?''
BS1: ''Because I know something you dont know. I am not a fighter!'' (casts disintegrate)
BS2: ''I am not a fighter either!'' (casts counterspell)

Unoriginal
2017-05-16, 05:15 PM
I have my own ideas, but I'd like to see what y'all think.

Inigo Montoya is a Fighter. You could argue the movie version is a Champion, for his capacity to keep going despite all his injuries and his lack of concern for battlefield savviness (pursuing the Count in his home field which get him stabbed, letting the Man in Black use the terrain to his advantage, etc).

Fezzik would be a Barbarian, not sure which kind.

Westley is a Swashbuckler Rogue, with high proficiencies in Athletics and Acrobatics.

Vizzini is a Mastermind Rogue.

Buttercup would be a Commoner NPC with high Charisma

Prince Humperdink would be the magic-less version of the Ranger

Count Rugen would probably be a Noble NPC.

why you ask. Both Wesley and Inigo disarm their opponents, something only a BM fighter can do. Fezzik intimidates his foes using fear, again something only a BM fighter can do.

That's so untrue I sincerely hope it was a joke.

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-16, 05:33 PM
Fezzik intimidates his foes using fear, again something only a BM fighter can do.

...It's been a while since I have read the book or seen the movie, but I don't think this is accurate. I think his size just did that for him and the circus he was a part of just played it up for him. I distinctly remember him running crying to his mother on more then one occasion in the book, and Inigo needing to reassure him quite a lot in both forms of the story.

I don't think he's a barbarian, despite his strength. He was actually trained, and did use tactics. I also don't associate 'berserker frenzy' with 'Sorry, but I sorta have to kill you now'. In the book version, he realizes he's doing poorly against Wesley because he trained to fight multiple people and couldn't adjust quickly enough.

Not to mention, him defeating a trapped door in the prince's torture room by panicking and running into it at top speed in the book.

Count Rugen was a swordsman. That's why he was commissioning a sword to begin with, and why Inigo needed to train as a swordsman to beat him. Else he could have saved himself quite a lot of trouble and skipped that step and gone straight to the finding him part.

Humperdink...Could be a ranger, since he did hunt a lot. But I recall him hunting by wrestling animals and being described in the book version as being very muscular. Given his nasty temper, I think Humperdink could be either, but he would make for good inspiration for a barbarian from a noble background.

Biggstick
2017-05-16, 05:40 PM
Inigo Montoya is a Fighter. You could argue the movie version is a Champion, for his capacity to keep going despite all his injuries and his lack of concern for battlefield savviness (pursuing the Count in his home field which get him stabbed, letting the Man in Black use the terrain to his advantage, etc).

Fezzik would be a Barbarian, not sure which kind.

Westley is a Swashbuckler Rogue, with high proficiencies in Athletics and Acrobatics.

Vizzini is a Mastermind Rogue.

Buttercup would be a Commoner NPC with high Charisma

Prince Humperdink would be the magic-less version of the Ranger

Count Rugen would probably be a Noble NPC.

I actually agree with a majority of these. I like the idea of Inigo Montoya being a Champion, as it's something I never really considered (my thoughts always went immediately to Battlemaster). Everything about Champion actually fits really well with Inigo.

Fezzik is a Frenzy Barbarian. The spells/animal portions of Totem doesn't make much sense to me. Having the ability to actually "fear" an opponent is almost exactly what was done near the end of the movie!

I would still think Westley has a few levels of Fighter, even if it's just up to level 3 for Battlemaster. Those maneuvers, especially his ability to Disarm the enemy, really play into his Fencing capabilities. Having the Con save proficiency also makes more sense, as his Constitution has been tested throughout the entire movie (quickly regaining his composure after climbing the rope, chasing/following after Buttercup, developing a certain "immunity," recovering from "dying," etc. etc.). Other then that though, the Swashbuckler levels also feel really good.

Definitely agree on the Mastermind for Vizzini. I would expect most Rogues to have a back-up plan once confronted with a do-or-die situation, but maybe his ego just caught up with him.

Count Rugen should definitely have some PC levels imo. He could fall somewhere under Rogue, but there could be Fighter levels in there too. His background should definitely be that of a Noble though.

That's so untrue I sincerely hope it was a joke.

No reason to be that mean about it.

LtPowers
2017-05-16, 05:42 PM
I statted out Fezzik and Inigo back in 3rd edition, just for fun. I think I made them fighters. 10th level, somewhat arbitrarily. I'm not sure 5th Edition has the range of options necessary to represent everything we see on screen (or in the book).

Powers &8^]

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-16, 05:43 PM
Fezzik is a Frenzy Barbarian. The spells/animal portions of Totem doesn't make much sense to me. Having the ability to actually "fear" an opponent is almost exactly what was done near the end of the movie!

That also involved bluff and disguise checks. I think that just means that Miracle Max is a rogue with proficiency with herbalism kits. I mean, Fezzik was sorta a prop in that scheme...He was literally being pushed by other guys with a wheelbarrow and using a magical item!

LtPowers
2017-05-16, 05:43 PM
Fezzik is a Frenzy Barbarian.

Fezzik never goes into rage or frenzy. Ever.

Powers &8^]

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-16, 05:45 PM

Being a rogue means your fighter friend becomes such a convincing barbarian that people who know it is a bluff get confused.

Biggstick
2017-05-16, 05:54 PM
That also involved bluff and disguise checks. I think that just means that Miracle Max is a rogue with proficiency with herbalism kits. I mean, Fezzik was sorta a prop in that scheme...He was literally being pushed by other guys with a wheelbarrow and using a magical item!

Hmm, well put.

Having only ever seen the movie, your previous post on what happens in the actual book has made me now want to read said book. Thanks Honest Tiefling, you've sold me on reading the Princess Bride (rather then just relying on having seen the movie 10 or so times) so I can properly create the characters in this story!

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-16, 06:01 PM
Thank you, I heavily recommend anyone who enjoyed the movie to read the book. It does flesh out the characters more so, and is damn funny to boot.

Brawnspear
2017-05-16, 06:19 PM
Fezzik: If we are assuming everyone is human, then Fezzik is a bearbarian, someone with the the new Brawny feat from UA or both. Or he could just be a goliath (he's so strong and he doesnt even exercise). Whatever it is, he has the tavern brawler feat as his proficiency with rock chucking is way up there and he's a grappler.

Wesley is someone with the ability to resist poison. That means Monk (which fits in nicely with his dodgy and unarmored-ness), Druid (not a whole lot of overlap), or possibly a bit of paladin (using lay on hands to cleanse himself). He also has an extremely powerful personality and is a swashbuckler of the highest caliber. So if we go with a bit of Paladin (he is a man on a mission after all, and devotion seems to be very important to him) along with Swashbuckler rogue, we have a dexterous duelist with expertise in at least athletics and deception.

I'd agree that Inigo is a fighter of some sort, probably also mixed in with a bit of swashbuckler. Or even a vengeance paladin, with his oath to slay Count Rugen.

Unoriginal
2017-05-16, 06:19 PM
...It's been a while since I have read the book or seen the movie, but I don't think this is accurate. I think his size just did that for him and the circus he was a part of just played it up for him. I distinctly remember him running crying to his mother on more then one occasion in the book, and Inigo needing to reassure him quite a lot in both forms of the story.

I don't think he's a barbarian, despite his strength. He was actually trained, and did use tactics. I also don't associate 'berserker frenzy' with 'Sorry, but I sorta have to kill you now'. In the book version, he realizes he's doing poorly against Wesley because he trained to fight multiple people and couldn't adjust quickly enough.

Not to mention, him defeating a trapped door in the prince's torture room by panicking and running into it at top speed in the book.

Count Rugen was a swordsman. That's why he was commissioning a sword to begin with, and why Inigo needed to train as a swordsman to beat him. Else he could have saved himself quite a lot of trouble and skipped that step and gone straight to the finding him part.

Humperdink...Could be a ranger, since he did hunt a lot. But I recall him hunting by wrestling animals and being described in the book version as being very muscular. Given his nasty temper, I think Humperdink could be either, but he would make for good inspiration for a barbarian from a noble background.

Actually Fezzik was not trained. He was so incredibly strong his parents decided to have him fight people, and he just beat all his opponents easily with his overwhelming physical capacities and then learned some stuff by experience. But people began to find that boring, so he switched to fighting whole groups by himself.

In the book, the part where he fights Westley has him struggling with remembering how he beat his single opponents, back in the days.

If not Barbarian, I would argue that he could be a Bard.

Also, Count Rugen was something of a swordsman, but his main reason for commissioning the sword was just because he was interested in pain and wanted to see how painful the situation would become. He never cared for the sword, otherwise he'd have taken it after beating up the young Inigo. Inigo doing all that training was mostly overcompensating, but it's fitting the character as he spends the whole story doing one badly thought out decision after another.

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-16, 06:25 PM
Actually Fezzik was not trained. He was so incredibly strong his parents decided to have him fight people, and he just beat all his opponents easily with his overwhelming physical capacities and then learned some stuff by experience. But people began to find that boring, so he switched to fighting whole groups by himself.

I've lost my copy of the book, admittedly. Bad Tiefling, I know. But I would argue that going around town to town fighting groups of people is a form of training, if a bad one. I mean, how would most PC fighters train? Also, still a very noticeable lack of anything resembling a rage, unless blind panic counts?

Also, Count Rugen was something of a swordsman, but his main reason for commissioning the sword was just because he was interested in pain and wanted to see how painful the situation would become. He never cared for the sword, otherwise he'd have taken it after beating up the young Inigo. Inigo doing all that training was mostly overcompensating, but it's fitting the character as he spends the whole story doing one badly thought out decision after another.

He may not have been the BEST swordsman, but an outright noble isn't right either. He needs at least a few PC levels to explain using a sword.

LtPowers
2017-05-16, 09:26 PM
Thank you, I heavily recommend anyone who enjoyed the movie to read the book.

Yes, but not the original! Make sure you only read the abridgment by Goldman. If you read the original Morgenstern you're liable to swear it off for life before you get halfway in.

Powers &8^]

Christian
2017-05-16, 11:27 PM

In the book, he actually does--when he and Inigo are being crushed by the giant constrictor snake while trying to rescue Westley from the Pit of Despair.

And, presumably, in the flashback scene where he shatters his father's jaw with a wild roundhouse swing. Of course, I guess all six-year-old children are barbarians, in a way.

Aett_Thorn
2017-05-17, 08:24 AM
What about Fezzik being a sort of Monk/Fighter? Fights with his fists, shows a decent amount of Wisdom (at least in the movie), and it's not like he wears much armor.

Westley is almost assuredly a BM fighter/Swashbuckler Rogue

JAL_1138
2017-05-17, 09:30 AM
What about Fezzik being a sort of Monk/Fighter? Fights with his fists, shows a decent amount of Wisdom (at least in the movie), and it's not like he wears much armor.

Westley is almost assuredly a BM fighter/Swashbuckler Rogue

Fezzik also knows how to do a Vulcan Nerve Pinch, apparently (how Buttercup is kidnapped), which could be interpreted as Stunning Strike.

Ditto on Wesley being a MC'd Battlemaster/Swashbuckler. With Expertise in Intimidation, I'd add.

krunchyfrogg
2017-05-17, 11:19 AM
I'm fine with Fezzik being a goliath champion.

Maybe even some kind of monk variant.

Dappershire
2017-05-18, 02:26 AM
Thank you, I heavily recommend anyone who enjoyed the movie to read the book. It does flesh out the characters more so, and is damn funny to boot.

I vehemently disagree. Don't read the book. You've barely missed anything. Anything but confusion, pain, and finally, rage.
I'm not even joking. If you've seen the movie, you are more then good to go. The script was written by the same guy, he didn't have any issues with with editing, and he has said all the casting was exactly what he had in mind when he wrote the thing.
You don't want what few extras the book has. It only leads to trouble, and insanity.

Knaight
2017-05-18, 02:35 AM
I vehemently disagree. Don't read the book. You've barely missed anything. Anything but confusion, pain, and finally, rage.
I'm not even joking. If you've seen the movie, you are more then good to go. The script was written by the same guy, he didn't have any issues with with editing, and he has said all the casting was exactly what he had in mind when he wrote the thing.
You don't want what few extras the book has. It only leads to trouble, and insanity.

Agreed. Even putting aside how the book revels in referencing butchering a vastly better fictional manuscript, it's mediocre at best.