PDA

View Full Version : what does a bladesinger want for their birthday?

Spiritchaser
2017-05-16, 04:02 PM
I'm looking for a nice magic item for a bladesinger. It'll be used by a minor archvillain, and I don't expect the PCs to down him until level 7-10, but I'd like to work it in as soon as they see him... And hey, if they somehow down him at level 5 were they are now, then more power to them.

This guys favourite MO is to stand back, become unhittable with blur/bladesong/shield, then open up with support or artillery, preferrably against something that will try really hard to hit him back... But can't.

If you were a bladesinger what would you ask for?

Draco4472
2017-05-16, 04:04 PM
A Defender Rapier would be great for a bladesinger, and increase their AC even further. Other then that, magic finesse weapons and things like Ring of Spell Storing, Wand of the Warmage, Cloak of Protection, and magic studded leather armor would all be good choices.

DivisibleByZero
2017-05-16, 04:08 PM
What I would ask for and what I would offer as a DM are probably two different things.
If it were my game, and the party had a Bladesinger, and the party were going up against a Bladesinger, and the PC Bladesinger was the one I aimed the loot at, I'd probably have the enemy Bladesinger carry a Moon Blade (finesse activated or added as the PC's rune, if appropriate).
That gives fantastic fluff, and allows you to customize the blade to match the party's power level.

TundraBuccaneer
2017-05-16, 04:09 PM
To be able to cast defensive spells as a bonus action once in awhile?
Have a surprise round where only defensive spells can be cast?
A flame blade that uses dex, because flaming sword are awesome.

PeteNutButter
2017-05-16, 04:27 PM
Any character with a high AC and the ability to cast shield wants a cloak of displacement. No need to blur up.

Full warning: It may be near impossible to kill said character, at least with attacks.

Clone
2017-05-16, 04:30 PM
I love the Moonblade idea, but if you wanted to keep it simple give him the amulet which brings your CON to 19 (the name escapes me) or make a belt of Elvenkind which gives advantage to concentration saves whilst in Bladesong.

I think I prefer the Moonblade idea though.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-16, 04:48 PM
Any character with a high AC and the ability to cast shield wants a cloak of displacement. No need to blur up.

Full warning: It may be near impossible to kill said character, at least with attacks.

This right here. Had one on my Singer, it was stupid.

StorytellerHero
2017-05-17, 05:20 AM
I'm looking for a nice magic item for a bladesinger. It'll be used by a minor archvillain, and I don't expect the PCs to down him until level 7-10, but I'd like to work it in as soon as they see him...

+1 magic Britney Spears album - making people go crazy across all planes of existence...

:biggrin:

Spiritchaser
2017-05-17, 06:31 AM
+1 magic Britney Spears album - making people go crazy across all planes of existence...

:biggrin:

No.

Perhaps I should rephrase that...

Hell no.

Spiritchaser
2017-05-17, 06:36 AM
This right here. Had one on my Singer, it was stupid.

I think that would be great in the sense that it let's him be better at what he's supposed to be good at... However, right now the Dex Paladin would probably get it, and in fairness she needs it... She takes a lot of heat when someone blows a stealth roll and while I don't have a problem with a bladesinger having that level of power, I think it might be a bit early.

Bloodcloud
2017-05-17, 06:44 AM
A swordcane! A staff and and sword in one easy package!

lunaticfringe
2017-05-17, 07:53 AM
Weapon of Warning on someone who can lay down some Control or a well placed Blasts is good.
Winged Boots are never disappointing.
Anything a more traditional Wizard really wants. The various Rings, Wands, & Staffs still work just fine.

EvilAnagram
2017-05-17, 08:16 AM
Everyone suggesting you give home something to pump his AC or in some other way make him harder to hit is giving very bad advice for game balance. He can minmax on his own, without the DM helping.

A sunblade or Flametongue rapier would be fine.

Spiritchaser
2017-05-17, 08:57 AM
Everyone suggesting you give home something to pump his AC or in some other way make him harder to hit is giving very bad advice for game balance. He can minmax on his own, without the DM helping.

A sunblade or Flametongue rapier would be fine.

He can melee, and he has ended up in melee from time to time, but that's not typically what he does. For him bladesong isn't an excuse to go spork people ( though he does sometimes feel like it ) it's a way to avoid damage at any range, and a way to free up the party from having to protect him much, at least in the fights where bladesong is up and where most damage comes from to hit rolls.

Giving him a protective sword makes sense mechanically. Giving him a flaming sword would be fun... But only from time to time.

Edit Giving him a cloak of displacement frees up his first turn for another fireball... And frees up some spell points that can be anything

Edit again Interestingly anything protective may also make the Paladin life easier. If she doesn't have to defend the wizard so much she can do other things

lunaticfringe
2017-05-17, 09:06 AM
He can melee, and he has ended up in melee from time to time, but that's not typically what he does. For him bladesong isn't an excuse to go spork people ( though he does sometimes feel like it ) it's a way to avoid damage at any range, and a way to free up the party from having to protect him much, at least in the fights where bladesong is up and where most damage comes from to hit rolls.

Giving him a protective sword makes sense mechanically. Giving him a flaming sword would be fun... But only from time to time.

Yup, you're a Wizard. Mixing it up in Melee is fun on occasion, but it soon dawns on you that you are more Effective staying mobile and out of Pointy Stick range. No need to tax the Healer's spell per day if you don't have to.

DivisibleByZero
2017-05-17, 09:10 AM

Sounds like another vote for Moon Blade, so you can personalize it.
Defender? Sure.
Finesse? Okay.
Extra slashing damage? Why not.
Vorpal? Let's get crazy!
And no one else can take it unless they're an elf, and the sword accepts them. Tailor made for your Bladesinger.

Sigreid
2017-05-17, 09:25 AM
A magic sword that simply acts as a focus for spell casting.

nickl_2000
2017-05-17, 09:26 AM
A nice cake, his kids to come and visit and spend sometime with him instead of always staring down at their scrying pools, maybe someone to make him dinner instead of always having make it himself.

Or I suppose all that other stuff people mentioned.

Spiritchaser
2017-05-17, 09:27 AM
Amulet of health for the pally.
Mithril chain +1 for the heavy armor hexblade bladelock with elven accuracy and 12 dex.
Spiffy sword for the bladesinger, he can find a cloak at level 10 to 12
And a nice conjuring stone for the druid.

Spiritchaser
2017-05-17, 09:29 AM
A magic sword that simply acts as a focus for spell casting.

Heh, this was his first item of note... He got it his before level 4, in the final fight of a subplot.

There was going to be another opportunity for confrontation but the Paladin kept the peace. Again.

Vaz
2017-05-17, 09:35 AM
Cloak of Protection always goes down a treat; +1 AC and Saves helps with not getting hit, and maintaining concentration, and who doesn't love a cape? Apart from Edna.

Spiritchaser
2017-05-17, 09:51 AM
Cloak of Protection always goes down a treat; +1 AC and Saves helps with not getting hit, and maintaining concentration, and who doesn't love a cape? Apart from Edna.

+ 1 isn't a huge deal, but I actually have concerns about giving too much strength against saves.

Right now that weakness drives his tactics, and to a degree tactics for the party. In another level, it'll make his position relative to the Paladin even more critical.

Shoring up his weakness too much might devalue those considerations a bit

Though again... +1 is managable

wilhelmdubdub
2017-05-18, 09:17 AM
boots of haste so you can concentrate on something else