PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magic Item Problems

Draco4472
2017-05-16, 04:13 PM
I've been running 'Tales from the Yawning Portal' for a group of friends under AL rules. The party is made up of a Barbarian, a Dexterity-based Paladin, a bard, and a wizard. My concern is that in later adventures in the book, the Barbarian will have a monopoly on magic weapons, as most, if not all, appear Strength based. In addition to this, no one would have any use of magical heavy armor. Should I veer away from AL and simply change the magic items to ones the rest of the party can use, such as substituting a +1 longsword or +2 Greataxe with a +1 rapier or +2 longbow? Leave it as it is hoping the rest of the party is content with magic rings and other items whereas the barbarian will be carrying 7-ish magic weapons by level 8?

I had another idea of simply implementing the dungeons from 'Tales from the Yawning Portal' into 'Out of the Abyss' which would have a great deal more magic finesse weapons and light armor, and allow me to continue using AL rules. Would this be recommended? Forge of Fury seems very applicable to an Underdark-based setting.

Khrysaes
2017-05-16, 04:49 PM
I've been running 'Tales from the Yawning Portal' for a group of friends under AL rules. The party is made up of a Barbarian, a Dexterity-based Paladin, a bard, and a wizard. My concern is that in later adventures in the book, the Barbarian will have a monopoly on magic weapons, as most, if not all, appear Strength based. In addition to this, no one would have any use of magical heavy armor. Should I veer away from AL and simply change the magic items to ones the rest of the party can use, such as substituting a +1 longsword or +2 Greataxe with a +1 rapier or +2 longbow? Leave it as it is hoping the rest of the party is content with magic rings and other items whereas the barbarian will be carrying 7-ish magic weapons by level 8?

I had another idea of simply implementing the dungeons from 'Tales from the Yawning Portal' into 'Out of the Abyss' which would have a great deal more magic finesse weapons and light armor, and allow me to continue using AL rules. Would this be recommended? Forge of Fury seems very applicable to an Underdark-based setting.

You could do that, or you could have the party find somewhere that they could sell the specified items to and purchase or craft ones that they could use when the party goes into a larger town or city. It could be a great opportunity for Role play, as well as perhaps introducing a recurring character for them to interact with in the crafter/merchant. Build a rapport, and perhaps do some quests for. Maybe getting a discount in the future.

Draco4472
2017-05-16, 05:02 PM
You could do that, or you could have the party find somewhere that they could sell the specified items to and purchase or craft ones that they could use when the party goes into a larger town or city. It could be a great opportunity for Role play, as well as perhaps introducing a recurring character for them to interact with in the crafter/merchant. Build a rapport, and perhaps do some quests for. Maybe getting a discount in the future.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to do that were I run to AL. I probably wasn't very clear in my OP, but I want to continue to run AL if possible. Forge of Fury has an option to sell 2 of the magic items you can find in the dungeon, and has been confirmed as AL legal, but other then that, there are no means to buy/sell magic items AL legally readily available.

Pex
2017-05-16, 05:42 PM
Is this an official AL sanctioned game or are you just using AL rules for a homebrew? If the latter give yourself permission to change your mind.

No snark intended. I know from personal experience how hard it is to give yourself that permission.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-16, 05:57 PM
I'd trade out the enough of the useless items for good items so that each player has 1 and then keep the rest the same

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-16, 06:05 PM
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to do that were I run to AL. I probably wasn't very clear in my OP, but I want to continue to run AL if possible. Forge of Fury has an option to sell 2 of the magic items you can find in the dungeon, and has been confirmed as AL legal, but other then that, there are no means to buy/sell magic items AL legally readily available.

Question, is this what the party desires? Maybe if they are made aware of loot issues they might decide not to be AL legal. And I feel that making your game not AL legal is a bad idea without consulting the players first!

Khrysaes
2017-05-16, 06:25 PM
Question, is this what the party desires? Maybe if they are made aware of loot issues they might decide not to be AL legal. And I feel that making your game not AL legal is a bad idea without consulting the players first!

I am confused. I don't understand what the benefits are for remaining AL legal. I understand that AL has restrictions for many things in character generation and spell usage, but other than that I don't actually understand what the point is? What does the DM gain, what do the Players gain for remaining AL legal. The restrictions are understandable for not having characters stronger than they should be at that level. But to me, it just seems a way to standardize it between DMs.

Also, on the Adventurers League page on Wizard's site "Run a fun game! As the Dungeon Master, you help guide the players through the adventure, and facilitate the story coming alive. Make sure you follow the golden rule: Make decisions and adjudications during the game that enhance the fun when possible."

RickAllison
2017-05-16, 07:09 PM
I am confused. I don't understand what the benefits are for remaining AL legal. I understand that AL has restrictions for many things in character generation and spell usage, but other than that I don't actually understand what the point is? What does the DM gain, what do the Players gain for remaining AL legal. The restrictions are understandable for not having characters stronger than they should be at that level. But to me, it just seems a way to standardize it between DMs.

Also, on the Adventurers League page on Wizard's site "Run a fun game! As the Dungeon Master, you help guide the players through the adventure, and facilitate the story coming alive. Make sure you follow the golden rule: Make decisions and adjudications during the game that enhance the fun when possible."

It depends on whether OP is just making an AL-legal campaign for funsies (in which case, change up the items as desired), or if it is because it will be an actual AL game so they can transfer the characters to other tables. If it is the latter, then a solution within AL guidelines is needed.

Sigreid
2017-05-16, 07:37 PM
Would it really invalidate it as an AL game if +1 plate became +1 studded leather, for example? That sounds nuts to me.

Pex
2017-05-16, 10:08 PM
Would it really invalidate it as an AL game if +1 plate became +1 studded leather, for example? That sounds nuts to me.

I'm not that familiar with the rule but yes it could if the old RPGA element is still in there. In RPGA magic item availability was tracked based on adventures you played. You could only gain a magic item that was in the module.

Khrysaes
2017-05-16, 10:32 PM

I'm not that familiar with the rule but yes it could if the old RPGA element is still in there. In RPGA magic item availability was tracked based on adventures you played. You could only gain a magic item that was in the module.

I was reading through the AL rules.. and while I didn't notice the RPGA, it just said that if your character has something that you can't provide documentation for, make a new character. It also constantly says that the DM can adjust as needed for the rules. So, unless the new DM is super unreasonable, and the items are swapped with things of the same level of power and rarity, or simple things like changing the type from long sword to rapier, it should be accepted by the DMs. I could see named items that are pretty unique being unacceptable however.

Jerrykhor
2017-05-16, 11:21 PM
I think magic items should always be customised for the party. Loot that nobody can use is not loot at all.

Sigreid
2017-05-17, 07:42 AM
I was reading through the AL rules.. and while I didn't notice the RPGA, it just said that if your character has something that you can't provide documentation for, make a new character. It also constantly says that the DM can adjust as needed for the rules. So, unless the new DM is super unreasonable, and the items are swapped with things of the same level of power and rarity, or simple things like changing the type from long sword to rapier, it should be accepted by the DMs. I could see named items that are pretty unique being unacceptable however.

Interesting. Then I would suggest that if you do swap an item, give the player a signed note saying what item was swapped in what adventure and the reasoning. Hopefully, that would suffice for dicumentation,

Khrysaes
2017-05-17, 08:08 AM
Interesting. Then I would suggest that if you do swap an item, give the player a signed note saying what item was swapped in what adventure and the reasoning. Hopefully, that would suffice for documentation,

That is my understanding of it yes. A more thorough reading may be in order for clarification. But one of the first things it says on the AL Page on Wizard's Site is, for a DM, make the game fun for the players. I wouldn't find following the rules in which I wouldn't get any magic items that my character could use fun. Especially if I am unable to sell those magic items. Which I didn't find the rule on BTW, it does says you can't trade items unless you are in a party with that character currently.