PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Leap RAW are BS

sabernoir
2017-05-16, 07:21 PM
Help, I'd like to get some professional (kind of) opinions on how to rewrite the Extreme Leap Skill Trick, the RAW are as follows:
****, I can't find it, maybe later.

Anyway, it says that when I successfully complete a horizontal jump of 10 feet or more, I can spend a swift action to move another ten feet that turn. I know that's crap, but I don't know exactly how to rewrite it so the rest of my group doesn't accuse me of changing rules.

OldTrees1
2017-05-16, 07:26 PM
Help, I'd like to get some professional (kind of) opinions on how to rewrite the Extreme Leap Skill Trick, the RAW are as follows:
****, I can't find it, maybe later.

Anyway, it says that when I successfully complete a horizontal jump of 10 feet or more, I can spend a swift action to move another ten feet that turn. I know that's crap, but I don't know exactly how to rewrite it so the rest of my group doesn't accuse me of changing rules.

I am confused at what you mean by rewrite it without being accused of changing the rules. Yes, it is a weak skill trick and probably not worth your 2 skill points. What of it?

Edit: Double checked with my copy of Complete Scoundrel

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-16, 07:27 PM
Wait. You want to rewrite it, but you don't want to change the rules? What exactly are you asking for?

EDIT: Also, I'm not entirely sure Oldtrees' reading is correct. It gives you another 10ft of movement that turn, but doesn't explicitly increase your jump distance-- seems like it's intended to bump your total movement for the round up.

OldTrees1
2017-05-16, 07:30 PM
Wait. You want to rewrite it, but you don't want to change the rules? What exactly are you asking for?

EDIT: Also, I'm not entirely sure Oldtrees' reading is correct. It gives you another 10ft of movement that turn, but doesn't explicitly increase your jump distance-- seems like it's intended to bump your total movement for the round up.

I was basing it off a google search while I found my copy. I edited away the flawed reading.

You are correct that all it does is grant +10ft of movement that turn(doesn't even increase movement speed for that turn)

sabernoir
2017-05-17, 07:52 AM

Yeah, that was confusing, sorry. I'd like to change the RAW to something that make sense, but I'm relatively new and I'd like some support so my group believes me.

As written, it doesn't make sense. The feat is about jumping, so adding 10ft of movement at any time that turn sounds wrong, and also brokenly op once I start dipping into scout.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-05-17, 08:08 AM
As written, it doesn't make sense. The feat is about jumping, so adding 10ft of movement at any time that turn sounds wrong, and also brokenly op once I start dipping into scout.
The ability works fine. Once per encounter, after jumping at least 10', you can spend a swift action to move an extra 10'. It's not that powerful, but it's only a skill trick - it costs two skill points, not a feat slot. It will certainly not be OP, let alone broken, regardless of your taking of levels of scout.

If you want more cheap swift-action movement, pick up a chronocharm of the horizon walker: 500 gp for the 1/day ability to move half your speed as a swift action.

Fizban
2017-05-17, 08:40 AM
Extreme Leap and and friends are so poorly written the first thing you have to do is decide what they actually do. At which point it works however you want it to work.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-17, 08:43 AM
Yeah, that was confusing, sorry. I'd like to change the RAW to something that make sense, but I'm relatively new and I'd like some support so my group believes me.

I'm... not going to help you lie to your group, if that's what you're asking. If you were to explicitly houserule the skill trick, I think "[once per encounter] as a swift action, you may make a Jump check and move the full distance" is solid-- it's basically the Sudden Leap maneuver, which is useful but not overpowered. Not even on a scout, who are honestly kind of crappy without some way to move 10-20ft and full attack.

The purpose of the trick is probably to let you move, jump, and finish the jump that same turn-- normally you can wind up with a turn's worth of hang time if your jump would take you past your normal speed for the round.

fire_insideout
2017-05-17, 10:05 AM

Just to clarify: You can't change RAW since it means "Rules As Written", i.e the exact text in the rulebook. If you want to argue that the skill trick should be changed at your table then you are adding a houserule.

Just tell the group that you like the idea of the skill trick, but that it's difficult to use as written and that it should be clarified. I like Grod's suggestion, and would probably approve that if I were the DM. There's no point in trying to sneak something past your friends, just be open with your opinion, have a discussion around it, make a decision and move on. It's a game, you're supposed to play it for fun and there's no need to make it more complicated than that.

OldTrees1
2017-05-17, 10:18 AM

If you are asking how to reword the text so it means the exact same thing it does now:
"If you have made a horizontal jump of at least 10ft this turn, you may move 10ft as a swift action that turn."
(Reminder Text: Skill Tricks are limited to once per encounter or once per minute if not in an encounter)

If you are asking how to reword the text so it means something else and trick your group into believing it's meaning was not altered:
DON'T.

If you are asking for how to houserule it to be something else with your group knowing that you would be changing the rule:
Then ask your DM.

sabernoir
2017-05-17, 03:31 PM
I am not trying to lie, sorry if it's written confusingly, I want to houserule the skill trick into a more definite form, and show my group that I consulted other people on it, they wouldn't want me houseruling stuff without research, since I'm not the dm. :smallwink:

OldTrees1
2017-05-17, 04:37 PM
I am not trying to lie, sorry if it's written confusingly, I want to houserule the skill trick into a more definite form, and show my group that I consulted other people on it, they wouldn't want me houseruling stuff without research, since I'm not the dm. :smallwink:

I don't know what you mean by "a more definite form" since it is already in one.

However the 1st step when a player is thinking about homebrew is asking what they want. Let's say you have this 1/encounter skill trick. What do you want it to affect?

Distance Leap: Add 10ft of horitzontal distance to the result of your jump check. You can choose to use this trick after you know the result of your jump check. (Reminder: Skill Tricks are 1/encounter or 1/min when outside of encounters)

Speedy Leap: If you are making a jump check, you can increase your movement speed by 10ft for the remainder of this round. Remember increased movement speed gives a bonus on jump checks. (Reminder: Skill Tricks are 1/encounter or 1/min when outside of encounters)

Swift Leap*: You can jump as a swift action. (Reminder: Skill Tricks are 1/encounter or 1/min when outside of encounters)
*Credit to Grod for the recommendation

Buufreak
2017-05-17, 05:03 PM
I'm not seeing what the issue is here. In simplest terms, if you jump 10ft, you can then move an extra 10ft afterwards during that same turn as a swift action. That's it. It isn't cheaty. It isn't OP. It isn't broken. And I can't fathom party members thinking it will be.