PDA

View Full Version : A Witch's Tale IC II

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-16, 09:46 PM
Rachel Denethar is a witch. Half hag, half human, she lives at Naturia Circle Academy. Guarded over by the mighty evoker Fiona Scarlet and her templar son Auron, Rachel happily goes about her day trying to study and work hard.

She's joined several clubs, and has made many new friends. But danger lurks around every corner. There was a mysterious person who infiltrated the school grounds and tried to assassinate the headmistress in her sleep. That person may be connected to Jean L'estat, a powerful banker that has ties to Rachel's father.

Additionally, Rachel's best friend Yvette has started dating a scary-looking orc, but the boy seems to get along very well with her. And then there's the blind girl Sherry who seems to have stuck her claws into Rachel's little brother Ciel.

Not that Rachel has time to worry about anyone else's relationships. Her own person of interest, Lance Elot, is dating a popstar idol with a terrible singing voice. The idol admits she is having doubts about the relationship and that she can't take care of Lance's needs. Another of Rachel's friends, Felicia, lavishes Lance with attention and favors willingly. Is Rachel trapped in some kind of four-way love triangle? Will she earn her crush's affection in the end?

Speaking of affection, Rachel was eager to go to the Autumn Ball with her friend Facia Sanguine, who is both pretty and peaks all of Rachel's...less conventional interests. However, Facia has no time for girls who lead her on, and as soon as Rachel seemed uncertain about her offer Facia went to another girl who was interested.

Of course, all of this pales in comparison to the fact that mid term exams start on Wednesday...and it's Sunday now.

Diachronos
2017-05-16, 09:50 PM
With her exams right around the corner, Rachel feels like she needs to start focusing on her studies. To help get some assistance with that, she heads to the Research Club meeting in the morning to meet up with Yvette.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-16, 09:54 PM
Yvette smiles when Rachel arrives. "Hey there! I heard Lance killed it at the tournament. I wish I could have gone, but all of us outside the fencing club still had class...what's up?"

Diachronos
2017-05-16, 10:06 PM
"Not much. I figured I'd come and give you and the rest of the Research Club some help today."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-16, 10:07 PM
Yvette nods. "Sounds good! Actually, the headmistress requested some research assistance this weekend, so you can just take this folder and head on over to her office. Thanks a bunch for your help!"

Yvette's Affection increased! She hands Rachel a manilla envelope.

Diachronos
2017-05-16, 10:16 PM
"Sure thing. I'll be back as soon as I'm done!" Rachel heads over to the headmistress' office.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-16, 10:19 PM
Fiona looks up as Rachel enters her office. "Oh, good morning. Can I help you with something,
young lady?"

Diachronos
2017-05-16, 10:27 PM
Rachel nods. "The Research Club said that you needed some help?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-16, 10:35 PM
Fiona smiles. "Oh yes! Please come in. I actually need you to...look through a few of these books..." She picks up a few books off the floor and puts them on her desk in a neat stack. "and then write a summary with citations and page numbers discussing the history of modern item crafting."

Diachronos
2017-05-16, 10:45 PM
Rachel nods. "I'll get right on it, ma'am!" She picks up the stack of books, idly wondering if any of them had information that might help her in the Alchemy Club.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-16, 10:52 PM
Rachel's brain is on fire as she examines every line and chapter index. Her pen dances across the sheets of parchment and within six hours she has a full report ready for Fiona to look over. The headmistress reads the report for the next hour as Rachel sits patiently. She checks the page numbers on citations, occasionally pausing to read the actual paragraph Rachel has cited, before getting back to it.

Finally, as the day comes to a close, Fiona looks up at Rachel with a raised eyebrow. "I'm going to be frank with you, Miss Denethar. This is better than some of the papers that I have written."

Diachronos
2017-05-16, 11:04 PM
Rachel blinks. Why is Fiona giving her that look? "Er... w-will it work for what you needed?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-16, 11:05 PM
"Miss Denethar, that was the single strongest compliment I've ever given a student. If this is the quality of your papers I foresee a successful academic career in your future," Fiona replies seriously.

Diachronos
2017-05-16, 11:24 PM
Rachel blushes. "I-I don't know about that... my papers usually aren't that good."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-16, 11:26 PM
Fiona nods. "Well, I was just planning to have you do a bit of research for me but...you've impressed me. So if you have any more free Sundays, come by the office and do a bit more work for me. I'll teach you some of the important parts of doing research at an adult level, and if you provide enough assistance, I'll even put your name on the paper as a research assistant."

Diachronos
2017-05-16, 11:29 PM
"Alright. I'll come by if I'm free." And hopefully I don't end up screwing it up...

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-16, 11:29 PM
Fiona's Affection has increased.

"Alright. I'm looking forward to it. Be careful on your way back to the dorm."

Night has fallen.

Diachronos
2017-05-16, 11:45 PM
Rachel heads back to her room, and starts working on a letter to her father asking about the L'estats. She's already put the question off for too long as it is. In the letter, she tells him that she's working on a project for one of her classes and that she's decided to focus it on the L'estat family's involvement with the Order and mage communities.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-17, 09:40 AM
Sebastian takes the envelope into his beak and flies off. He will likely return in a few days.

In the morning, Rachel heads to class. Mr. Ferrerus is not there. The substitute quietly teaches the basics of the lesson, and then dismisses the class ten minutes early.

Diachronos
2017-05-17, 11:04 PM
Rachel sighs and heads to lunch. Mr. Ferrerus hasn't been keeping up with things lately... is he still hung up on his research? Maybe she should find Facia and see if she can find out what's going on.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-17, 11:07 PM
Rachel can now have lunch at the terrace! She can either enjoy a lunch by herself or visit with her new friend Phoenix on most days.

Rachel heads into the cafeteria and finds Facia feeding her snake a mouse near the door.

Diachronos
2017-05-17, 11:11 PM
It takes a moment for Rachel to collect herself so she doesn't gag at the sight of the snake eating, but she gets it under control before approaching Facia. "How are you doing today?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-17, 11:13 PM
Facia looks at Rachel.

"...The teacher who was stalking me is in the hospital," she replies seriously.

Diachronos
2017-05-17, 11:27 PM
Rachel blinks. "...What? What happened to him?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-17, 11:44 PM
Facia sighs. "I don't know. He was really insistent on pestering me the last week...He seemed to be getting desperate because no one was listening to him or helping him."

Diachronos
2017-05-17, 11:49 PM
"Do you know why he's been so insistent about it? I know he was looking for information on someone from the past, but I have no idea why he was obsessing over it like that."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-17, 11:50 PM
Facia frowns.

"The man he's researching...is one of the very few wizards in the world who has truly been able to cheat death. The first lich..."

Diachronos
2017-05-17, 11:54 PM
Well, that definitely wasn't the answer she'd expected. "Well, that explains why he can't find much about him. I can't imagine the Order or the Chantry, or even the general public, would've wanted him to be remembered." That leaves the question of why he's researching the first lich, though...

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-17, 11:56 PM
Facia sighs. "Who knows? People seek immortality for all kinds of selfish reasons. It's not my problem."

It seems like whatever problems Azure is facing right now, only Rachel can help him with.

"More importantly, word is you were caught alone in the locker room with another sophomore girl...is she going to be your date to the Ball?" Facia asks coyly.

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 12:01 AM
Rachel blushes. "N-no, I... sh-she just needed to talk to me about something in private, I don't think she's interested in me at all."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 12:04 AM
Facia blinks. "But you're interested in her?" she asks.

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 12:14 AM
"Well, I... er... I don't know..." How does she keep getting tangled up in situations like this?

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 12:28 AM
Facia pouts. "...I'm going to look so much better in my dress than her! Just you wait, I'm going to blow your mind on the Ball night!" she promises.

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 12:37 AM
Rachel blinks. Just what has she gotten herself into with these two?

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 08:02 AM
Facia relaxes. "Okay then. I'll see you and Felicia at the Ball. Make sure to invite her soon, she needs time to prepare as well!" She stands up and heads out.

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 08:10 AM
Wait, invite her? Rachel blinks and stares at Facia as the witch leaves.

...Can she even bring herself to bring the idea up with Felicia, let alone actually invite her?

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 08:10 AM
Lunch ends. There are several places that Rachel can travel to now, or she can simply visit one of the clubs.

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 08:13 AM
Rachel heads to the Fencing Club meeting. She can do some work for Oji while she's there, and see about asking Felicia to the ball.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 08:15 AM
As Rachel enters the fencing club she sees Lance getting ready for practice. Does she want to try and talk to him before things start?

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 09:05 AM
Rachel decides to leave Lance be for now. He's probably still upset over the issues with Auron and the tournament.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 09:10 AM
Felicia smiles as Rachel walks over. "Hey. I didn't expect to see you again so soon. Are you thinking of coming to the fencing club full time from now on?"

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 10:45 AM
"I'm not sure yet, but I'll think about it." Can she bring herself to ask Felicia to go to the ball with her? Would that come off as weird, though? Felicia seems to be more "traditional", would she have an issue with being invited by another girl?

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 12:05 PM
"Great, well, I have a few guys that you can work on today..." Felicia says, checking her roster. Rachel needs to let her know about her deal with Oji.

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 12:17 PM
"I, uh... I actually agreed to look after Oji. Is he here today?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 12:24 PM
Felicia raises an eyebrow. "Are you sure you're up to that? You really have to be sensitive and empathetic if you're taking care of one person, you know." She looks down at Lance's uniform.

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 12:27 PM
Rachel sighs. "I don't know, but... I already agreed, so I have to at least try."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 12:45 PM
Felicia smiles. "Very well. In that case, I suggest you try to get closer to him so you can figure out what he likes and doesn't like. His favorite foods, the way he practices, and other things like that. Also, you'll be responsible for scheduling any exhibition matches he may have against other important fencers, like the one Lance won on Saturday. Because of that, you'll need to pay attention to his skill so you don't embarrass him needlessly against really strong opponents."

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 02:07 PM
Rachel gulps. That's a lot more than she'd thought she'd be taking on. How is she supposed to know who's a good opponent for his skill level? "O-okay..."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 02:13 PM
Felicia nods to the training room. "For today, I'll go ahead and take care of Oji as well. I want you to go observe him and talk to him after practice."

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 02:31 PM
Rachel nods. "Alright. Thanks, Felicia."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 02:50 PM
Rachel heads into the training room where she spies Oji and Lance squaring off.

"Yield. It's someone else's turn," Lance says dismissively.

Oji looks down with a depressed expression. He starts to lower his rapier, but then he spies Rachel looking at him out of the corner of his eye.

He straightens up with determination. "One more time, captain. Please."

The other guys all take a step back and a few of them whisper to each other.

Lance sighs. "Very well."

Oji drops into a low stance to prepare himself. Lance leans forward on the tip of his right foot.

The two of them lock eyes for a moment, and then Lance sprints toward him.

Oji throws up his arm into a blocking stance as Lance strikes to the left.

The junior pants as he tries to hold on with both hands, but Lance is just too strong. He forces Oji backwards and off balance, and then slices upward in a large X shape.

The fabric on Oji's right shoulder comes undone, a clear sign that if Lance had wanted, he could have taken the entire shoulder off.

"Enough! The captain has six points, Oji only has two. The match is decided," the referee exclaims.

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 02:59 PM
Rachel watches the match, surprised at Oji's performance... and Lance's brutal attack. Is there some kind of unresolved tension between the two of them?

When the referee calls for an end to the fight, she starts heading over to Oji.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 03:10 PM
Oji sits down on the bench and groans. He looks up as Rachel approaches. "Hey. How are you doing today, Rachel?"

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 03:18 PM
"I'm alright. How are you?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 03:26 PM
"I'm feeling a lot better now that the captain seems to be back to his old self," Oji replies. He stands up. "Were you looking for a sparring partner?"

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 03:29 PM
Rachel shakes her head. "No, I came here to help the support staff."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 03:32 PM
Oji nods. "Alright then..."

Seems like he isn't taking the hint. Rachel will probably need to state her purpose for approaching him flat out.

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 03:34 PM
She points to the tear in his uniform. "Well, if I'm going to be taking care of you, I should probably get started with that. Do you need anything while I'm patching up your uniform?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 03:38 PM
Oji blinks and looks at the cut in his uniform. "You know how to sew?" he asks with surprise.

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 03:45 PM
"A little. I think I'm good enough to fix that, at the very least."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 03:51 PM
Oji nods and takes off his uniform. He has a modest workout outfit underneath. He hands her the uniform with a nod of thanks. "You asked if I need anything else? Like what?"

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 03:55 PM
"You know, like... if you needed something to eat or drink, or just someone to talk to. That kind of thing."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 04:02 PM
Oji smiles. "I appreciate that. I could definitely use some water after that match. I'll just...sit here, I guess."

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 04:08 PM
"Okay. I'll be right back." She heads to get him some water.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 04:09 PM
Oji takes the water bottle and drains it quickly, a look of satisfaction playing across his lips.

Rachel thinks about what Felicia would do in her situation. How should she act, what should she say to the boy she is in charge of supporting?

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 04:24 PM
Rachel is quiet for a moment as she started working on fixing the shoulder of his uniform. "So, um... how has your day been?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 04:35 PM
Oji laughs. "You know, just worrying about midterms. I really should have ditched practice to study, but I was worried about Lance. How about you?"

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 04:37 PM
"Oh, I've just been going day by day. Nothing really big..."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 04:42 PM
"Are you in any other clubs?" he asks curiously.

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 04:44 PM
Rachel nods. "I've been working with most of the others, mainly the band and the Alchemy Club."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 04:52 PM
The boy smiles. "You're in the band? I guess that means you'll be performing at the Autumn Ball, right? I'll come out and cheer for you, just like you've done for me."

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 04:58 PM
Rachel blushes. "N-no, I wasn't planning on it. I'm not practiced enough for something like that."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 05:10 PM
Oji nods. "Okay then."

He watches Rachel's clumsy motions with a bit of trepidation.

Make a Craft (Sewing) check

Diachronos
2017-05-18, 05:26 PM
It's a little hard to focus with him watching her, but Rachel repairs his uniform. She hands it back to him. "There. Good as new!"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-18, 06:18 PM
Oji picks up the uniform with a grin. "That's great! Thanks Rachel. Here's your pay for the day."

Oji's Affection increased! Felicia's Affection increased!

Rachel received 400 gp.

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 12:41 AM
After finishing her talk with Oji, Rachel considers going to talk to Felicia, but she decides against it. It's probably better to invite her to the ball when the two of them can have some privacy.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 12:43 AM
The night has fallen. Rachel heads back to her dorm. The news about Azure being hospitalized is shocking to say the least. Perhaps Nurse Schultz knows something more about this?

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 12:49 AM
Rachel heads to bed early. She's too distracted to focus on anything. Tomorrow she'll have to go see Nurse Schultz to see if he can give her any information on the situation with Mr. Ferrerus.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 12:53 AM
Rachel rests and feels relaxed. She wakes up with a surge of empathy, ready to help all her fellow classmates.

If a character's Affection or Romance would increase today, it is increased by double the normal amount!

Because tomorrow is exams, class is canceled in the morning for study hall. Rachel can go find one of her friends to study together with, or she could get some extra work done alone in her room.

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 01:07 AM
After considering her options, Rachel heads to see if she can find Maya. The young musician likely is going to need all the help she can get for her exams, and she can always stop by to talk to Nurse Schultz later today.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 01:09 AM
Rachel discovers Maya sitting alone in the park, staring at a book. Not reading it, just staring at the pages hopelessly.

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 07:11 AM
Rachel sits down beside Maya. "Something on your mind?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 07:17 AM
"Yeah. 'I'm going to fail this exam'," Maya replies.

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 07:18 AM
"Hey, don't say that. You've still got all day to prepare, and I can help you study."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 07:30 AM
Maya turns to look at her, and after a moment a smile breaks out over her face. "Alright. Let's cram!"

Rachel carefully instructs Maya on some of the material, which allows her to review it herself as well.

Rachel's Knowledge increased by +2! Maya's Affection greatly increased!

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 07:42 AM
Rachel closes her book as they finish their study session. "And that's pretty much it for what they'd be putting on the midterms." She smiles. "Don't worry, you're not going to fail."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 07:46 AM
Maya nods with a smile. "Thank you, Rachel. I feel like I have a chance now. You're the best. ...Um, I don't want to be rude, but...can I ask you a question?"

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 08:00 AM
Rachel blinks. "Sure, Maya."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 08:40 AM
Maya smiles. "Where is Sebastian? I want to sing a song for you to show my gratitude, and he seems to like my music quite a bit. It would be a shame for him to miss out."

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 08:41 AM
"Oh, he's delivering a letter for me. He probably won't be back for a few more days."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 08:46 AM
Maya's smile fades a bit. "Oh. Well, okay. I'll just sing it to you then."

She sings a song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2zyeVRcbs) about struggles and self-confidence. Her voice is just as beautiful and gentle as always.

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 08:49 AM
Rachel closes her eyes as she listens to Maya's singing. Somehow she gets the feeling that she'd never get tired of hearing it. "That was really beautiful, Maya."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 08:50 AM
Maya nods. "I can't wait to sing with your clarinet backing me up. Then both of our feelings will be made clear, supporting each other the way you and I support each other."

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 08:51 AM
Rachel gives a nervous laugh. "I don't think something that sounds like a dying cat goes well with your singing..."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 09:07 AM
Maya smiles. "Rachel, I can wait as long as you need for you to practice. If you really are worried about it, you could always just come to band more."

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 09:11 AM
She nods. "It's tough trying to balance all the clubs at the same time."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 09:20 AM
Maya waves and heads off to lunch alone.

Rachel sits and thinks about where she wants to eat and who she wants to eat with.

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 09:26 AM
Rachel heads to see if she can find Ciel. She hasn't seen him in a while, and wants to check in on him.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 09:29 AM
Ciel smiles as Rachel walks up to him. "Hey Sis. How was the tournament?"

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 09:32 AM
"It was good. A lot of the guys on our team won their matches, and the ones who lost still put in a good effort."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 09:37 AM
Ciel blushes. "Yeah...one of my friends was actually there. He said you really worked hard."

Seems like Chad has been praising her in front of Ciel. Must be a bit awkward for him, but he looks happy anyway.

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 09:42 AM
Rachel chuckles nervously. "Th-the other girls did a lot better at that than I did..."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 09:51 AM
Ciel blinks. "Is that a new hair clip? Where did you get it?"

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 09:53 AM
"Huh? Oh... yeah, one of the guys from the fencing club gave it to me."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 09:54 AM
Ciel rubs the back of his head. "Oh...that's nice. Is he your boyfriend or something?"

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 09:55 AM
Her face turns bright red. She really should've seen this coming. "N-no, he's not! H-he just wanted to thank me for helping out the team, that's all!"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 09:58 AM
Ciel frowns. "Oh, of course. I forgot, you're going to the ball with that templar who interrogated me, aren't you?"

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 09:59 AM
"No, I turned him down. The only reason he invited me in the first place is because Sherry put him on the spot and didn't leave him with much of a choice."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 10:07 AM
Ciel relaxes. "Okay. How are you preparations for the exams going?"

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 10:08 AM
"They're going alright. I think I'll be able to at least pass my exams."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 10:22 AM
He smiles. "I'm glad to hear it. Be sure to do more than pass, okay? Dad expects a lot of you after last semester."

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 10:36 AM
Rachel sighs, thinking back to what the headmistress had said to her. "He's not the only one..."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 10:39 AM
Ciel smiles. "They only have those expectations because they know what you're capable of Rachel. And I do too."

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 10:41 AM
Rachel nods. "I guess you're right..."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 12:55 PM
Ciel nods. "I'm going home this weekend. Do you want to come with me, to see Mom and Dad?"

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 01:44 PM
"...Yeah. I'm starting to miss them."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 01:59 PM
Ciel looks worried. "We should probably keep what happened in the forest a secret from Dad."

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 02:01 PM
Rachel nods in agreement. "Even if Dad doesn't get upset about it, your mom probably won't like the idea of us going out there."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 04:16 PM
Ciel blinks. "I was talking about your mom...he never said much about her so I thought he might be upset if he knew you talked to her."

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 06:47 PM
"Oh... right. Yeah, I won't say anything to him about it."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 06:49 PM
Ciel smiles. "Good. Alright then. I'll see you this weekend for sure. Don't work too hard now!"

He heads off, leaving Rachel alone with her thoughts.

Ciel's Affection increased!

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 06:53 PM
Rachel sighs as Ciel leaves. She still has to go see her mother at some point, and she gets the feeling that the witch won't be happy that she hasn't been able to make any sense of that book yet.

After lunch she decides to head to the Cathedral. Maybe now would be a good time to try talking to Sir Auron to start over with him?

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 07:05 PM
Auron is sorting through a set of very complicated looking documents when Rachel enters his office. He looks up at her. "...Hm. So, you've come back."

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 07:07 PM
Rachel nods, remaining silent for a moment. "Sir Auron, I was hoping that we could start over from the beginning, on friendlier terms."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 07:09 PM
Auron sighs. "...No."

He stands up. "That is not something we can do. Not until I...until I apologize for what I said to you, the moment I met you. Placing blame on you for the sins of your family is...it is beneath someone of my position. It is the kind of behavior one would expect from a child with no concept of true responsibility or morality. I was wrong, that is all I can say about that."

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 07:11 PM
Rachel shakes her head. "It's alright. You're not the first person to judge me for my heritage, and I doubt you'll be the last. The fact that you're willing to even consider that you might be wrong makes you a lot more likable than the rest of the Order in my opinion."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 07:34 PM
Auron nods and sits down. "Will you...join me for a drink?" he asks.

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 07:35 PM
"Um... s-sure." She closes the door and takes a seat across the table from him.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 07:37 PM
Auron sets a pair of glasses on the table and pours some wine into each glass. He hands one to her and takes the other for himself. "One of your companions has informed me you have joined her as a support staffer for the fencing team."

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 07:40 PM
Rachel nods, looking down into her glass. "Yes, I have. I've practiced with the actual team members a couple of times, but the support staff seems to be a better fit for my abilities."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 07:42 PM
"Come now, you can't possibly fear intoxication over a small helping of wine. Just sip it slowly," Auron encourages her.

"I'm glad to hear that. When Felicia told me about this, I knew I was wrong about you. I had feared your blood would make you into an apostate like your mother, but...to join a club that teaches the value of hard work and not using your magic for every little thing, that is admirable. Your restraint, and understanding of the power you hold, is admirable."

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 07:43 PM
Rachel nods and takes a small sip of her wine. "I'm studying conjuration. Control and restraint is already something I'm having to learn so that any creatures I call upon don't hurt any innocent bystanders."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 07:45 PM
Auron nods. "And how are those studies going?" he asks.

Rachel feels relaxed. She suddenly understands why her friends come to confide in Auron, he genuinely seems like an experienced and empathetic...guidance counselor.

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 07:47 PM
"The summoning itself, I'm doing well with. But I need to start being more considerate of the creatures that I summon."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 07:49 PM
Auron nods. "I'm sure it can be uncomfortable to realize you have mistreated creatures you consider allies. To be honest, many of the sins of this world are forgivable specifically because they are not intended. So many students pass through my cathedral each day and they tell me that they have made mistakes, and they feel guilty. Guilt is important, guilt helps you grow as a person to ensure that mistakes you have made are not repeated."

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 07:54 PM
Rachel nods thoughtfully. "...Honestly, I never thought I'd hear someone from the Order saying things like that. From the stories people tend to tell, I'd thought that they were the sort to judge people without considering how they act."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 07:56 PM
"They most certainly are, and that kind of decisive action is necessary in a world outside these walls. You must understand, Rachel, that you are a child in the eyes of the law. For that reason, I have the ability to regard any claims made against you or anyone else with a healthy level of skepticism and an understanding that you may have simply made a mistake. Punishment does not always lead to redemption, and a child has a long life ahead of them. Redemption is far more important than retribution. At least, it is to me."

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 08:07 PM
Rachel nods in agreement. "I'm glad you feel that way. And I'm sure that my brother would say the same."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 08:14 PM
Auron finishes his wine. "Well then, what is it you wished to discuss with me?" he asks.

Fort save to avoid getting drunk. If Rachel becomes intoxicated you should reflect her lowered sense of security and inhibition in your posts.

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 08:19 PM
Rachel sets down her now-empty glass. "I just wanted a chance to start over and get to know you on a more friendly basis, the way other students have. And... Razia convinced me that you deserved a second chance."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 08:20 PM
Auron nods. "You already said that. So, how do you propose we start over? What would you like to ask me specifically?"

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 08:22 PM
"Well, um..." Why hadn't she thought this through? "...Do you like it here at Naturia Acadmy?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 08:24 PM
Auron sits back. "I admit that the lack of a proper temple has been difficult for me to adjust to. I am no priest of the Chantry, but I have transformed this cathedral into a modest excuse for a church. I do not want the students to feel as though they have been separated from the word of the Lord, but...giving sermons is more difficult than I thought it would be."

His words betray his age. This boy is barely older than Rachel and yet he has so much responsibility placed on his shoulders. He guards her and every other student here and yet he also spends his time trying to act as a priest when he has no training.

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 08:27 PM
"Hasn't the Chantry thought of sending one of their priests here before?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 08:29 PM
"In much the same way that I consider the people here to be less responsible for their own actions than adults, the Chantry considers the students to be less susceptible to damnation. Because of this, they would rather spend their resources and manpower taking care of the souls of those who have less time in their lives to repent or redeem," Auron replies. He refills his glass, and Rachel's as well.

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 08:33 PM
Rachel leaves her glass alone for now, wanting to avoid drinking too much too quickly. "...I think your speech the other day was just fine, Sir Auron. Maybe it's not the same as one delivered by a true priest, but I could tell that you meant what you said."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 08:36 PM
Auron sighs. "Yes. But it is all in vain. Once these students graduate and move into the world, they will experience the same revulsion and hatred that my mother faces. I have done my best to temper myself. My attitude has truly changed since I came here, but...even after the changing, I still have to make an effort to curb some of my thinking. And sometimes I fail to do so."

Right, like what he said to her in Ciel's interrogation room.

"But the Order out there has no such desire. They simply wish to carry out the will of the Lord. If all things are just in the name of God, then what is the meaning of one or two mages' lives or happiness by comparison? It makes me wonder...is there even any true justice left? Or...or is it my own sense of justice that has become distorted and corrupted by surrounding myself with sinners?"

Diachronos
2017-05-19, 08:43 PM
Rachel closes her eyes. She doesn't have an answer for him, not one that won't just sound like she's trying to get him onto her side. "...I think the fact that you're willing to believe that mages are capable of feeling guilt and wanting to be good is a sign that there's still justice in the world."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-19, 08:45 PM
Auron sighs. "Very well. I'm glad you came to see me, Rachel. I hope you enjoy yourself at the Ball."

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 12:37 AM
Rachel nods. "Thank you. I hope you enjoy your time there too." She heads back to her room to get some last minute studying in before bed.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 12:45 AM
Rachel lays down in bed to consider what has happened to her over the course of the day.

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 01:01 AM
A sense of dread comes over her as she thinks about how Maya would do. She doesn't seem cut out for a wizard school, not when it seems that nothing comes easily to her. Maybe she can make something for Maya to help her with that?

Then there's Auron. It sounds like he's unsure of whether he's doing the right thing or whether he should start acting like the other members of the Order. Rachel hopes that he won't turn out like the others; he seems like a nice person, and someone who might be able to help bridge the gap between mages and the rest of the world.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 01:05 AM
Rachel wakes up and...it's time for her exams!

Rachel needs to roll two Knowledge checks today, with a +1 bonus on each for her Esoteric trait.

Rachel glances down at some of the questions on her religious texts section:

"Which of the following creatures held the rank of Power?
A) Michael
B) Gabriel
C) Samael
D) Raphael"

"Name the Seven Virtues that will demonstrate purity in the eyes of the Lord."

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 01:19 AM
Rachel gives her best answer on the questions. On the religion section, she chooses Gabriel for the multiple choice, and lists the virtues as chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience, kindness, and humility.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 01:31 AM
Rachel feels somewhat confident about her first day of exams.

She heads back to her dorm to rest up.

Thursday's exams start!

Two Knowledge checks.

Today's section focuses on history.

"One of the most famous enchantresses in history was:

A) Morgan le Fay
B) Misty Fey
C) Jean Gray"

"The Order was formed on the basic premise that:
A) Magic is a cardinal sin, and the templars are the salvation of the world.
B) Magic creates an unequal society, and equity is the world that God desires.
C) Magic exists to serve man, and never to rule over him."

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 01:32 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

For her other answers, Rachel chooses Morgan le Fay and "Magic is a cardinal sin, and the templars are the salvation of the world."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 08:11 AM
Rachel feels somewhat better about her test today. She rests and prepares for the next day.

Friday's exams begin!

Two Knowledge checks

Today's topic is conjuration.

"Which of these spells is not a conjuration (creation) effect?

A) Floating Disk
B) Unseen Servant
C) Icicle Dagger"

"Describe the major differences between conjuration (summoning) and conjuration (calling) effects."

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 06:37 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Rachel picks Floating Disk as her first answer (it's not even a conjuration spell!). For the second, she writes: "A conjuration (summoning) effect brings a creature or object for a limited duration, and when the duration expires (or the creature or object has been destroyed, killed, or dispelled) it returns to its original plane and can be resummoned. A conjuration (calling) effect will permanently summon the specified creature or object, usually has specific conditions for the called entity to return to its original plane, and does not return to its home plane if it is killed or destroyed."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 07:37 PM
She feels very confident about her test today.

Saturday...

The last day of exams! Rachel's pen burns across the page as she concentrates on answering every question with as much detail as possible.

She finishes early, and heads to lunch. Everyone is seated all over the cafeteria, and Phoenix is probably up at the terrace today.

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 07:43 PM
Rachel sighs with relief as she finishes her last exam. At least it's all over for now, so she'll have a chance to relax. When she gets, she heads to the cafeteria to check in on Maya to see how she's holding up.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 09:26 PM
Maya is slumped down in her chair. "G, A, B, C, D, E, F Sharp, G...G, A, B, C, D, E, F Sharp, G...G, A, B, C, D, E, F Sharp, G..." she mutters to herself.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 08:26 AM
Rachel sits down beside her. "Hey... are you okay?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 08:42 AM
"Hey Rachel...I'm pretty worn out. Exams were brutal...how about you?" she asks with a smile.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 08:49 AM
"They went alright." She returns the smile. "Don't worry, I'm sure you did fine."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 08:53 AM
"You're amazing, Rachel. I could never do the things you do," Maya says with true sincerity. She looks at Rachel with admiration, and the changeling is shocked. This girl has the musical talent of a celebrity, she could actually become world-famous with just her voice alone, and she thinks that Rachel is amazing?!

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 09:06 AM
Rachel blushes. "Don't sell yourself short. There's a lot you can do that I can't."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 09:10 AM
Maya laughs. "Rachel, this isn't a competition. Just because I've got some singing talent doesn't make your book smarts any less impressive. ...Right. You said you wanted to help me figure out what's holding my magic back, right? I can't fail at being a witch, Rachel. I have to show everyone that my grandmother's legacy didn't end with just her!" She looks at Rachel with a new sense of determination.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 10:15 AM
She nods. "Alright, let's get to work on that!"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 10:19 AM
Maya grins and stands up. "Alright then! Here it go-"

"Maya! Maya, are you coming to the rehearsal?" a voice calls.

Maya's eyes widen and she glances down at her watch. "Oh, crap! I forgot it was Saturday! Stupid exams...even though club activities were canceled every other day this week, now that they're over clubs are back in swing. I gotta go. See you next time, Rachel!" She waves and heads off.

Maya's Affection increased!

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 10:23 AM
Rachel decides to head to the cooking club meeting. It'll be nice to have a chance to relax after the stress of the exams.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 10:27 AM
Ciel smiles as Rachel walks into the club. "Hey Sis! How did your exams go?"

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 10:31 AM
"I think they went alright. How about yours?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 10:34 AM
"Sigh...I wish I was a full-blooded elf. Then I could probably remember all this intricate detail about the arcane the way you can."

He smiles at her. "Oh! But I got some help from an upperclassman while I was studying in the library the night before."

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 11:05 AM
"Really? Who was it that helped you?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 11:07 AM
Ciel smiles. "A gnome. He was really nice. He helped me understand the stuff about potions that I was having trouble with. I even managed to brew one on my own as practice! Here, I'll give it to you."

Rachel obtains a potion of comprehend languages.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 02:47 PM
"Oh, that must have been Varsuvius! He's a really nice guy. I'm glad that you met him."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 02:49 PM
"So you do know him! I thought as much. I told him that I was going to try and get good grades to make sure I 'didn't embarrass Rachel' and he got real quiet all of a sudden."

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 04:00 PM
"He did? Weird... I don't know why he'd have reacted like that."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 04:02 PM
Ciel tilts his head. "Did you do something to upset him?"

Well, she rejected his invitation to the Ball so she could go with a devil-summoning pureblood...

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 05:23 PM
"I, uh... I turned him down when he asked me to go to the Ball..."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 05:25 PM
Ciel looks surprised. "Oh. Well, I'm sure he'll get over that. He might just be a little sore about it because it was so recent," he says with an encouraging smile.

To Ciel, Rachel can do no wrong. He really does love his big sister and look up to her.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 05:51 PM
She sighs. "I'm wishing that I'd accepted it, though. Now I'm stuck going without a date."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 05:59 PM
Ciel looks surprised. "Are you only saying that because you don't want to go alone, or are you saying that because you actually would like to go with Varsuvius?" he asks.

That's...actually a good question.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 06:02 PM
She doesn't answer, instead thinking over his words. Could that be why she feels upset? Maybe... hopefully he hasn't already made other plans, so she'll have a chance to ask him.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 06:18 PM
They start their cooking lesson.

Today's lesson is something simple to help everyone relax after exams have ended: homemade ice cream!

Ciel and Rachel work together to stir up the ingredients - milk, vanilla extract, sugar, salt and a twinge of orange. They blend everything together and place the mixture in a special cooling station that uses frost magic to bring things to a low temperature. After just forty five minutes of hard work, the ice cream is ready to eat.

Rachel realizes something as she eats with Ciel. This...really isn't that hard. She could probably do this on her own, if she was willing. Maybe Oji would like it if she cooked him something some time?

Rachel has gained the ability to cook recipes she learned in Cooking Club at night.

In order to cook something, Rachel must part with a certain amount of coin for ingredients (1 gold for a rush job, 3 gold for a good meal, and 5 gold for something with a little extra love and time put into it). She may also only cook in her dorm at night before she goes to bed.

This food can be given to others the day after, either at lunch or during certain clubs (Lance, Maya and Yvette will not accept food during their club times. The other students will, but Ciel may not wish to eat anything extra during cooking club).

If the food is not given to anyone the day after Rachel makes it, it will go bad.

Food has special benefits, and each student has their own likes and dislikes.

Rachel has learned the recipes for every type of food she has cooked so far!

Ciel's Affection increased.

The benefit of the homemade ice cream activates. Rachel's femininity is increased for the next 24 hours. Certain characters will behave differently towards her because of this.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 07:12 PM
After Rachel heads back to her room, she puts together a quick list of things she needs to take care of after she gets back from seeing her parents. Talking to Varsuvius about the Ball, finding Oji and seeing what kind of foods he likes... and getting some more studying in so she can start making sense of that book.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 07:16 PM
Rachel feels quite focused and refreshed after making - tap.

After making that li - tap.

After making that list and finishing her ex - tap.

What is that blasted noise?

Rachel looks around and spies a creature sitting on her windowsill, tapping at her window. The creature appears to be a salamander of some kind, and its holding a note.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 08:40 PM
Rachel opens her window to let the creature inside, and takes the note to read it.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 08:45 PM
"Rachel,

I need to talk to someone. This is driving me crazy.

I know we don't know each other that well, but you seem like a good listener. Better than some other girls I know, anyway.

Please, come meet me outside the dorm tonight.

Lance."

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 08:56 PM
Rachel sighs and tucks the note into her pocket. She wishes it wasn't so late, but Lance needs her right now, so...

She heads out to meet up with him.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 09:01 PM
Rachel opens her door to leave and walks right into someone.

http://onlinefanatic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/526px-Full_Injured_Eirika.png

"Ah! Who goes there, vile - ...Rachel?" Felicia blinks. "Rachel! So this is where your room is, huh?"

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 09:02 PM
"Yeah, it's mine. I wasn't expecting to see you out so late, Felicia."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 09:04 PM
The fencer grins. "But of course! I was heading to the public restroom area because...well, because I forgot to brush my teeth earlier. And I just - you know, I remembered it right as I was going to sleep! ...I didn't just change from my PJs into my armor and grab my rapier because I thought there might be ghosts in the hall or anything..."

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 09:29 PM
Rachel nods. "Alright, well... I'll leave you to it, then."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 09:32 PM
"Yes of course, I -...Wait. Tyrantus?"

Felicia stares at the salamander sitting inside Rachel's room.

"..What's going on here? Rachel, why is the captain's familiar in your b-b-bedroom?" she asks, a blush creeping over her cheeks.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 09:35 PM
Rachel blushes. "H-he was tapping on my window, so I let him in. I don't know why he's here, but I was going to take him back."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 09:36 PM
"The captain was tapping on your bedroom window? And you let him in?! I-is that a euphemism for something?" Felicia demands, her face as red as a tomato.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 09:39 PM
"No, the familiar was!"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 09:41 PM
The salamander clambers across the floor and climbs up Felicia's back, sitting on her shoulder and chirping happily.

Felicia pets him absent-mindedly.

"I see..." She calms down and starts to think about this. "Wait...take him back? And you opened your door at this hour...Rachel, you're not going to see the captain right now, are you?"

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 09:48 PM
"I'm taking Tyrantus back. If I see Lance, I'll probably end up talking to him, yes."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 09:51 PM
Felicia hesitates.

"Erm...Rachel, look do you...is the reason...Sigh...You joined the fencing club because you wanted to get closer to Lance, didn't you?" she asks.

Rachel blinks. That might be the first time she's ever heard Felicia refer to Lance by his name.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 09:57 PM
"No, I... well... kinda..." She blushes and covers her face. "He was really nice to me when we first met, but I had a hard time talking to him. I thought if I went to the club, I'd be able to get more comfortable around him..."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 10:00 PM
Felicia wraps her arms around herself.

"...The captain has been miserable ever since he agreed to start dating that airhead. If you're going to try and take him away from her, I won't stand in your way," she says after a moment.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 10:06 PM
"What? No, I'm not trying to take him away from anybody! I don't even think he's interested in me!"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 10:08 PM
Felicia scoops the salamander up gently and hands him to Rachel.

"...I've taken care of him as long as I can. I hope you can make him happy. ...Good night, Rachel."

She turns around and runs back to her room.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 10:19 PM
Rachel stares at Felicia as she runs off. Does she... does Felicia have feelings for Lance?

She sighs and heads to meet up with the fencing captain.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 10:21 PM
Lance is standing outside the dorm, lost in thought as usual.

He looks up as Rachel approaches. The salamander hops off her shoulder and lands on his.

"You came. ...I'm glad to see you." He gives a slight smile of relief.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 10:26 PM
"I'm glad to see you too. We've all been worried about you lately."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 10:29 PM
He crosses his arms. "Yeah. That wasn't my intention."

Lance straightens up. "Well, for starters, I have to say: thanks for coming to check on me after the fight. I didn't think you cared that much. It was wrong of me to call you a stalker before. You're just trying to be friendly."

Lance's Rivalry score decreases.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 10:34 PM
She nods. "I'm sorry I came off like that. I haven't had much experience talking with people before this year, and I got nervous when I saw you sitting with all your friends."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 10:38 PM
Lance smiles warmly, and for a moment Rachel goes back to the very first moment she met him.

He seems so upset lately, but at the end of the day, he really is a pretty nice and friendly guy at heart, isn't he? No wonder he's so popular.

"I forgive you. I've been dealing with a lot of stress lately. The title match was coming up and I was getting worried that I wasn't able to train hard enough for it because...well because no one else in this school is anywhere near my level. Drills and stretching is all well and good but if I can't practice my dueling skills with an equal, how am I supposed to fight against someone like Alistar? I got frustrated, I started blaming my friends for being too weak for me to really go all out against. And in the end I was so angry and looking for any sign of a challenge that I rushed into that fight against L'estat without preparing myself, and I just skipped the tournament altogether. I really screwed up."

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 10:56 PM
"Lance..." She reaches out and takes his hand. "Why do you push yourself so hard to be the best of them all? Everyone knows your a great swordsman, you don't have to prove it to anybody."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 10:57 PM
"My father doesn't!" Lance exclaims angrily and then his eyes soften and he relaxes. He pulls his hand away from her.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to shout at you. But...I still have things to prove. I still need to be the best."

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 11:03 PM
She wants to argue with him, to tell him that he's being foolish and that he's going to wreck his body pushing himself this hard... but she can't bring herself to do it. Rachel sighs. "...What can we do to help you?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 11:04 PM
"What do you mean 'we'? You're the only person here," Lance replies.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 11:16 PM
"I know, but... is there anything that Felicia or anyone else on the team could do to try helping you?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 11:18 PM
Lance chuckles. "The only way Felicia could do more for me is if she put on my uniform and fought in tournaments for me. That girl works harder than the teachers do."

He seems genuinely appreciative. It sounds like Lance considers himself and Felicia to be close.

"Thank you for the offer. Really, but I just needed to talk about all this. I feel better already. No need to trouble yourself any further on my end."

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 02:31 PM
She chuckles nervously; it seems that nobody's talked to him about the tournament results at all. "R-right... just... please, don't forget that we're here for you if you need to get something off your chest, okay? We hate seeing you beating yourself up like you've been the past few days."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 02:36 PM
Lance smiles and waves. He turns to leave.

"The captain has been miserable ever since he agreed to date that airheaded idol...I've taken care of him as long as I can."

The words echo in Rachel's mind. Lance's strained relationship with Rise...and maybe Felicia having feelings for him.

Should she bring up either of these while the two of them are alone?

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 02:38 PM
"Um... Lance?" Hopefully this won't end up causing her a bunch of trouble... "Are you and Rise still dating?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 02:42 PM
He pauses. "I don't know. We're still going to the Ball together, but I don't think she was expecting me to be so moody. I probably upset her."

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 03:12 PM
She nods. "Maybe... maybe she's not the right one for you?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 04:26 PM
"More like I'm not the right one for her. What girl wants a boyfriend that she ends up having to take care of constantly?"

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 04:54 PM
"Well, some girls do like that..." Felicia, for one... She shrugs.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 06:15 PM
Lance glances at Rachel. "Are you telling me to break up with Rise?"

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 06:25 PM
"No, but... maybe the two of you should sit down and talk out what's going on, so you can make a decision together."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 06:27 PM
Lance nods. "Okay. I'll do that. Good night, Rachel."

He heads to bed. She didn't get the chance to ask him about Felicia though...

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 07:08 PM
Rachel sighs and heads back to her room.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 07:54 PM
Rachel walks home and finds Sebastian sitting happily on her bed. He explains that her father was going to respond, but Ciel's message about coming to see him made him decide to speak to her in person.

In the morning, Rachel and Ciel approach the portal together. They take each other's hand and step through the teleporter.

*THUD*

Rachel and Ciel collapse in a large stone driveway. Rachel gazes upward to see her father's mansion looming over her.

Ciel smiles and helps her to her feet. "Feels like ages since we've been home."

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 08:01 PM
"Yeah..." She accepts his help up and dusts herself off. She's nervous about seeing them, to be honest; their mother because... well, it's Ciel's mother, and her father because she's unsure of how to get the information she needs for Varsuvius without outright telling him what happened.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 08:10 PM
The door opens as Rachel and Ciel approach. Her father steps out of the manor and wraps his arms around the changeling, squeezing her tightly and lifting her off the ground. "Ah, my little girl. It's so good to see you again. How is Yvette doing?" He gives her a loving and proud smile.

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 08:49 PM
Rachel smiles and returns her father's hug. "She's doing well, Father."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 08:52 PM
"Honestly, darling, she's only been away for a few weeks. Must you coddle her so?"

http://darkjade68.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/575x700_2769_elfi_2d_fantasy_elf_woman_girl_magica l_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Rachel is surprised to see her stepmother emerge from the house with her hair worn over one eye, in a very similar manner to Rachel's. It's never been like that before, she thinks.

"Ah, Ciel! Tell me, little one, have you made many friends?"

Ciel grins and hugs her tightly. "Yes, Mother! I've met so many people. They're really opening my eyes to the wonders that can be performed with magic."

"I'm so glad. If only your sister were so eager."

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 09:07 PM
Rachel bites her lip. Not even back for five minutes and she's already being passive-aggressive... "I've made a few new friends. Probably not as many as Ciel, though."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 09:11 PM
"Is that so? And you're still close with that dwarf girl, right? The one you had over for the holidays at one point. But...she's probably found a boyfriend by now, hasn't she?"

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 09:19 PM
Rachel nods. "Yes, I am. She has a boyfriend, but I haven't spoken to him very much."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 09:20 PM
The woman shakes her head. "You're falling behind. Not just in your...development, but in your social status," she says, with a dismissive glance at Rachel's figure.

"Mother, that's not true! Rachel has a date to the Ball just like I do!" Ciel blurts out.

Her father's eyes widen in shock.

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 09:25 PM
Rachel's face turns beet red. Dammit, Ciel... I can't admit that I turned down two guys and got rejected by the person I wanted to go with after you said that! Right now she's not sure if Ciel's outburst or her stepmother's verbal jabs are going to cause her more trouble.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 09:31 PM
Denethar smiles at Rachel. "Very well then. Come in, tell me all about this boy."

The group heads inside and Ciel and his mother go to the kitchen to catch up. Denethar takes Rachel to his office and has a seat behind his desk. He gestures for Rachel to sit across from him.

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 09:32 PM
"H-he's just a friend from one of the clubs at school, that's all..."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 09:43 PM
Denethar nods. "Rachel, you don't need to downplay this. This time last year you couldn't even name any boys in your class. And I was perfectly fine with that. I assumed you just weren't ready for dating, and that you would come around to it on your own time. But now that you are ready, I want you to understand this isn't something to be embarrassed about. Whatever that boy makes you feel, I want you to be proud of it. I want you to be happy to share it. I want you to be able to tell someone what you feel and what he does to make you feel that way. It doesn't have to be me. It could be Yvette, or Ciel...or that Sanguine girl you've been associating with. In any case, all that matters is that you've taken a step forward, and I don't want your shyness to keep you hidden any longer."

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 09:52 PM
She gives a tiny nod. "It's... Varsuvius Thresh, the head of the Alchemy Club. Apparently he thinks I'm an extremely interesting person even though we haven't talked much."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 09:55 PM
Denethar chuckles. "'Interesting'? He sounds like a gnome..."

When Rachel gives a nod to agree, he looks surprised, but recovers quickly.

"You've done a lot of reading over the years. You have a passion for learning unlike anything I've seen in a long time. It...honestly reminds me of a young woman I used to know." He looks wistful, and for a moment Rachel feels as though he's gazing through her to look directly at his past.

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 10:24 PM
"Really? Who do I remind you of?" She has an idea already, most likely he's thinking of her mother.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 10:30 PM
Denethar is quiet for a moment. "...I suppose...I've put off telling you this story for long enough. You're a young woman now. You're not a child anymore. Will you listen to an old man's tale, Rachel?"

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 10:33 PM
She nods and smiles at him. "Of course. You know I enjoy your stories."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 10:38 PM
I can't remember what I named him originally and I don't want to keep referring to him by last name, so I'm going to call him Mithrandir.

Mithrandir smiles and stands up. He walks over to his bookcase and passes over the dusty, worn tomes to lay his hand on the one book that seems to be in pristine condition. It is clearly a book that her father opens often, and takes great care of.

He walks back over to his desk and sits down. He opens the book and places it in front of Rachel. She gazes down at the page he has turned to.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d8/10/59/d810592ba66724f3dabcce48b7cde44a.jpg

She is shocked. The human woman on the page is...breathtaking. Powerful. Beautiful. Agile. Felicia would likely kill to be even a fraction of the woman in this picture. But...who is she? This isn't her mother.

"Now then. This...is the story of my life. A life of struggle, a life of hardship. A life...under the eyes of God."

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 10:40 PM
Rachel touches the picture of the woman on the page. "Who is this woman? Is she part of what you're about to tell me?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 10:45 PM
Mithrandir nods. "Her name is Rachel Zeema, and she was my first wife."

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 10:48 PM
She blinks and stares at him. "Was I... named after her?"