PDA

View Full Version : Can specific armors be enchanted further?

SangoProduction
2017-05-16, 10:36 PM
Say, I want to use an Undead Armor from Libris Mortis, to get armor that has 20% concealment for 10k gp. Can I still enchant that like normal armor, or is it permanently like that, and is basically a cheap minor cloak of displacement with minor deflection bonuses to ac? (I mean, that alone is pretty nice, but still.)

atemu1234
2017-05-16, 11:25 PM
Typically the rules for adding magical abilities to pre-existing magic items is figuring out the difference in price between the desired item and the current and adding it on. If the armor isn't treated as anything other than +1, then you can probably increase it with the ability as +10k. Ask your DM though.

Florian
2017-05-16, 11:32 PM
Say, I want to use an Undead Armor from Libris Mortis, to get armor that has 20% concealment for 10k gp. Can I still enchant that like normal armor, or is it permanently like that, and is basically a cheap minor cloak of displacement with minor deflection bonuses to ac? (I mean, that alone is pretty nice, but still.)

RAW allows you to further work on custom items.
The tricky thing is figuring out the costs for adding new features or enhancements, as itīs often a bit unclear how the base price of specific items come together.

ben-zayb
2017-05-16, 11:59 PM
MIC has guidelines on adding common effects to magic items. Furthermore, as for specific armors in MIC, the relevant passage is thus:
The following suits of armor and shields are usually constructed with exactly the properties described here. You can increase the enhancement bonus of these armors and shields or add more special properties, just as you would for any other item.
Not only that, but the last sentence implies applying enhancement or properties to works for any other armors and shields, which should include those from Libris Mortis*

*provided they aren't updated, in which case you must use the updated version

SangoProduction
2017-05-17, 09:09 AM
MIC has guidelines on adding common effects to magic items. Furthermore, as for specific armors in MIC, the relevant passage is thus:
Not only that, but the last sentence implies applying enhancement or properties to works for any other armors and shields, which should include those from Libris Mortis*

*provided they aren't updated, in which case you must use the updated version

OK! Cool. ty. Wait Libris Mortis is 3.0?

Psyren
2017-05-17, 09:46 AM
"A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions."

So yes, the rules allow this in both 3.5 and PF. Pricing can be complicated for some items though.

ben-zayb
2017-05-17, 06:53 PM
OK! Cool. ty. Wait Libris Mortis is 3.0?

I meant provided that the magic item from Libris Mortis isn't already updated in MIC. Plenty of items and magic properties from 3.5 books still got updated in the MIC.