PDA

View Full Version : A question about the Research feat

PallentisLunam
2017-05-17, 12:16 AM
So I have of late had the craving to build a very specific type of character. Someone who is equal parts Oracle and Fëanor with none of the badassedry exhibited by either, however that is neither here nor there, just a bit of backstory.

My question is one that I don't believe there is a hard answer to, but I want second (and third and fourth) opinions. As part of the character I am taking the Research feat from the ECS pg. 59. The book mentions four levels of library with which one might interact. However it doesn't give any details on how much it might cost to acquire one of these.

The locations mentioned where one might find these libraries range from small towns/wealthy households which appear to be characterized as fairly common to royal courts of which it is strongly implied that there might be half a dozen in the whole world of Eberron.

The possible calculation that I came up with for a Master Library is 55 gp (the price of a Mwk Artisan Tool) x 11 (The total number of Knowledge skills in 3.5) x 3 (because a Mwk tool usually provides a +2 and a Master Library provides a +6)

However this equation only produces a cost of 1,815 gp which hardly feels like a sufficient price point.

Afgncaap5
2017-05-17, 01:08 AM
The Research feat is one that, in my opinion, really requires some cooperation with a GM. Indiana Jones has it, sure, but he also has some assurances that he'll eventually get to a library for some research. Having said that, I don't think the library is really something you're meant to "buy" so much as it is something to "seek out." The Library of Korranberg probably has exactly the information you need, but, well, if you're in Trolanport, Fairhaven, Sharn, or, heaven help you, Argonessen, then getting that particular library in a reasonable timetable might be... taxing.

Having said THAT, though... page 25 of the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook has three categories of library room that you can buy for yourself, and each has space for a certain amount (or "lot") of books. These lots can provide circumstance bonuses depending on the value of the books even without the Research feat, ranging from a minor +1 bonus (for general knowledge lots) to very specific lots that grant sizable bonuses. The prices range from around 2500 gp for a basic library with two basic book collections to a whopping 135,000 gp for a Luxury Library with 6 Master-level book lots (not counting the cost of an on-staff librarian and team of sages to help run the library and make your research more effective.) If I were a DM and a player suddenly just... had one of these libraries, I'd probably permit the library to count for a certain kind of research check, and I'd likely make a number of jokes about Giles while the player did that.

Having said that, I might also say "Your research is thorough, but while you can find information talking about The Mockery's Twin most of it references another book that you don't have. However, you're pretty sure there's such a book in the holds of Morgrave..."

It's worth noting that the bonuses of these libraries are comparable to the ones for the Research feat, so... using the SBG as a guidebook for pricing probably wouldn't be a tough sell to a GM.

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-17, 07:50 AM
The way I see it anyone can benefit from a library they own and they operate without the use of a feat. They have the index and know roughly the books they have and all they need to do is reference the books they already own.

The research feat is about the use of OTHER PEOPLE's libraries where you don't have an index and don't know what the books are and don't understand the organisation and don't have sages and scribes under your employ to help you out.

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-17, 07:59 AM
Have you seen my knowledge reference?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?514547-The-Library-of-Knowledge-Getting-the-most-out-of-your-studies

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-17, 09:06 AM
Though here is another twist. Would the bonuses from the research feat and the bonuses from a SBG library stack? If so that makes for a very interesting option.

PallentisLunam
2017-05-17, 10:28 AM
Have you seen my knowledge reference?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?514547-The-Library-of-Knowledge-Getting-the-most-out-of-your-studies

Useful, but not entirely relevant to the question. I guess I could add some of those knowledges into my calculation, although several of them feel redundant and some of them are undoubtedly setting specific

Though here is another twist. Would the bonuses from the research feat and the bonuses from a SBG library stack? If so that makes for a very interesting option.

Ehh, two circumstance bonuses from using the same library. Sounds nonstacking to me

Edit: Maybe if I modified the equation to grow geometrically rather than linearly:

55x11/2 = 302.5 which would not be outside the realm of possibility for a small town to build up over several years
55x11 = 605 which might be reasonable for a large temple
55x11x4 = 2,420 which could fit for a larger town and is certainly a bit of a barrier to getting established
then finally
55x11x8 = 4,840 which is still not entirely spectacular but is more than double the first number......

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-17, 11:36 AM
There is a list of libraries, some gracious poster posted how to build a sbg library and a pretty thorough feat and item analysis in there. + organizations and affiliations.

Can you use dream of insight to make research knowledge checks in your sleep?

PallentisLunam
2017-05-17, 12:00 PM
Yeah well, 35K for a +6 to one knowledge skill seems pretty ridiculous in the opposite direction. Just with SRD knowledges that's a massive 385,000 gp.

As for your question, sleep walking is a thing...

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-17, 12:10 PM
I recall a magic book that grants large bonuses to most knowledge checks if you stop to reference it.... I think stormwrack maybe? Maybe thematic and useful for a bookish character.

lbuttitta
2017-05-18, 05:34 AM
I recall a magic book that grants large bonuses to most knowledge checks if you stop to reference it.... I think stormwrack maybe? Maybe thematic and useful for a bookish character.
The Tome of Worldly Memory? It takes 1 minute to activate and grants a +5 bonus on Knowledge checks, or 1 round if you have at least 5 ranks in the Knowledge skill in question. I think it can be found in the Magic Item Compendium.