PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF: Building Kaladin Stormblessed; AKA A Wind Runner

Reaperess
2017-05-17, 12:18 AM
One of the players at my table wants to build a Wind Runner character, or at least inspired by it. Now, if you aren't familiar with what that is, I highly recommend you check out Brandon Sanderson's Storm Light Archive series.

So far, what we've managed to come up with is a Warrior of the Holy Light, Chosen One Paladin, and Ectoplasmatist or Phantom Blade Spiritualist Multi-class character. We've also thrown around the idea of using a Hexcrafter Magus, rather than the Spiritualist.

Any thoughts, comments, recommendations, or input is greatly appreciated. :smallsmile:

Sidenote: Considerations to both what is thematically and optimally best are definitely appreciated, even if they differ, which is what I expect out of this.

And, if anyone has any insight on what 0-level Spiritualist spells work with the Phantom Blade's spell-strike class feature, it would be much appreciated. As of now, I'm thinking Light, Resistance, and Virtue are all that are commonly available for that, and maybe Grave Words if they are fighting Undead?
I find it hilarious that they'd likely be making their enemy glow if they were hit. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: I feel the need to question what Kaladin's Alignment would be. Lawful Good or Neutral Good sound right to me, and Lawful Neutral or Lawful Neutral sound right for a Sky Breaker.

Waker
2017-05-17, 12:29 AM
I'm assuming you are talking about a Pathfinder character from your mention of those ACFs. You may wanna change the title to include the PF tag.
Anyways you could try going with a Psychic Warrior or Gifted Soulknife. Those both give you easy access to some physical enhancement powers and the ability to pull a weapon out of thin air (Call Weapon for PsyWar, Mindblade for Soulknife). After that you could take a look at the Elocater PrC for all your gravity manipulation/flying powers.

Kurald Galain
2017-05-17, 01:32 AM
What level will you start at?

Two of the earliest ways to gain flight are the Magic Warrior or Hexcrafter Magus. That would be important for Kaladin :)

Reaperess
2017-05-17, 01:39 AM
I'm assuming you are talking about a Pathfinder character from your mention of those ACFs. You may wanna change the title to include the PF tag.
OK, seems like overkill to me at this point, but I went a head and did it.

Anyways you could try going with a Psychic Warrior or Gifted Soulknife. Those both give you easy access to some physical enhancement powers and the ability to pull a weapon out of thin air (Call Weapon for PsyWar, Mindblade for Soulknife). After that you could take a look at the Elocater PrC for all your gravity manipulation/flying powers.

That is an interesting option to go with, I am worried, though, that true Psionics might be a bit much to throw on her or myself at this point, as I'm new to being a GM and she's still relatively knew to playing the game.

What level will you start at?

Two of the earliest ways to gain flight are the Magic Warrior or Hexcrafter Magus. That would be important for Kaladin :)

I'm starting them off at level 2. It's Rise of the Runelords. :)

Waker
2017-05-17, 10:06 AM
That is an interesting option to go with, I am worried, though, that true Psionics might be a bit much to throw on her or myself at this point, as I'm new to being a GM and she's still relatively knew to playing the game.

The rules aren't too bad, certainly no more difficult than learning the normal rules for spells. Plus spending power points to use Powers is a lot more intuitive than spells per day, nearly every RPG uses an MP system after all. The important rules to remember are:
1. Manifesting a Power costs PP, the cost of which is determined by the Powers level. For the exact cost, the table is in this link under the table "Power Points by Power Level" http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/
2. Unless you have an ability that specifically says otherwise, you can't use more than one metapsionic feat on a Power at a time.
3. This last rule I copy-pasted from the PF site. If you take no other rule out of this book, it is critical to remember that a manifester may not spend more power points on a power than his manifester level. This includes spending power points augmenting the power, using metapsionic feats, or effects that result in needing to pay an increased power point cost to manifest a power. For example a 5th level manifester may only spend a total of 5 power points on any single power, while a 19th level may only spend a total of 19 power points on any single power.

mistermysterio
2017-05-17, 12:21 PM
If you're cool with 3pp material, then some of the stuff from DSP's Path of War might work well.

I'd probably say to start with a human warder and use piercing thunder and maybe silver crane. The former specializes in spear maneuvers, and the latter gives healing (surgeon) and eventually flight. Not sure how to manage adhesion, but gravity can be a flavor-kinda thing with flight. Warders specialize in protecting, so with this build you get a protection-focused, spear-wielding healer who can put out a lot of damage and move fairly easily around the battlefield. He inspires those around him, so maybe take some maneuvers in golden lion.

Again, the only thing really missing is the adhesion surge - maybe someone else has insight on how to achieve that and play it off in a way that actually makes sense in a DnD setting.

Reaperess
2017-05-17, 02:58 PM
If you're cool with 3pp material, then some of the stuff from DSP's Path of War might work well.

I'd probably say to start with a human warder and use piercing thunder and maybe silver crane. The former would specialize in spear maneuvers, and the latter gives healing (surgeon) and eventually flight. Not sure how to manage adhesion, but gravity can be a flavor-text kinda thing with flight. Warders specialize in protecting, so with this build you get a protection-focused, spear-wielding, healer who can put out a lot of damage and move fairly easily around the battlefield. He inspires those around him, so maybe take some maneuvers in golden lion as a means of inspiring those around.

Again, the only thing really missing is the adhesion surge - maybe someone else has insight on how to play that off in a way that actually makes sense in a DnD setting.

That's actually a very promising build. Especially because Kaladin IS a master of the spear, it makes sense that he'd use named manuevers.

mistermysterio
2017-05-17, 03:38 PM
Skybreakers are definitely lawful neutral - will follow the law of the land regardless of its moral implications.

Neutral good for Kaladin/windrunners - what is RIGHT/good is far more important than what is lawful.

Reaperess
2017-05-17, 04:21 PM
Skybreakers are definitely lawful neutral - will follow the law of the land regardless of its moral implications.

Neutral good for Kaladin/windrunners - what is RIGHT/good is far more important than what is lawful.

The only argument I can make would be the Oaths, and how breaking promises is considered so bad to the windrunners, but I can chalk that up to lying being considered evil.

Kurald Galain
2017-05-17, 04:28 PM
EDIT: I feel the need to question what Kaladin's Alignment would be. Lawful Good or Neutral Good sound right to me, and Lawful Neutral or Lawful Neutral sound right for a Sky Breaker.

Kaladin is strongly Lawful Good. He's the archetypical Paladin (the proper kind, not the awful stereotype); it's right there in his name.

He's comparable to O-Chul, basically.

Kurald Galain
2017-05-17, 04:29 PM
The only argument I can make would be the Oaths, and how breaking promises is considered so bad to the windrunners, but I can chalk that up to lying being considered evil.

Lying isn't evil, lying is chaotic. For example, Shallan.

mistermysterio
2017-05-17, 04:59 PM
I might say that Kaladin is Lawful Good if not for the juxtaposition with the skybreakers. Law is important, but doing what is "right" supersedes that.

I guess that you can say that Kaladin is Lawful Good in that he needs to follow the rules of the honor spren pretty explicitly - he needs to protect others over all else... the journey is more important than the destination, etc. etc.

I don't think you would build him incorrectly with either alignment - it's more that the alignment system in DnD doesn't overlap perfectly with the "alignments" of the radiants.