PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fun and interesting Summon Monster tricks

Elysiume
2017-05-17, 03:23 AM
I'm sitting on SF:Conjuration and Augment Summoning, and eyeing Superior Summons and Sacred Summons, but I'm a bit wary of just summoning beatsticks all the time. There are a few tricks that look amusing--especially with Sacred Summons--such as burning a 7th level spell slot to summon 1d4+2 Bralani Azatas who each fire off a 6d6 Lightning Bolt, and can do it again next turn. Maybe not optimal, but flashy.

Assuming core+APG+ACG+UC+UM+[potential other stuff subject to DM approval], are there any non-obvious things to do with Summon Monster that amounts to more than summoning some beefy meatbags to deal and soak up damage? I'm CG, which means there are only 3 base monsters eligible for Sacred Summons (3 more with the Desna-specific list), and 22 monsters I can't summon at all. Non-CG tricks are welcome, but CG ones are preferred.

prototype00
2017-05-17, 03:51 AM
I'm sitting on SF:Conjuration and Augment Summoning, and eyeing Superior Summons and Sacred Summons, but I'm a bit wary of just summoning beatsticks all the time. There are a few tricks that look amusing--especially with Sacred Summons--such as burning a 7th level spell slot to summon 1d4+2 Bralani Azatas who each fire off a 6d6 Lightning Bolt, and can do it again next turn. Maybe not optimal, but flashy.

Assuming core+APG+ACG+UC+UM+[potential other stuff subject to DM approval], are there any non-obvious things to do with Summon Monster that amounts to more than summoning some beefy meatbags to deal and soak up damage? I'm CG, which means there are only 3 base monsters eligible for Sacred Summons (3 more with the Desna-specific list), and 22 monsters I can't summon at all. Non-CG tricks are welcome, but CG ones are preferred.

Not summon Monster but Summon Nature's Ally V (VI gets you 1d3 of them) can get the Cyclops, which have one auto-crit per day with their x3, 3d6+7 (so 9d6+21) crit damage greataxe (I always wanted to keep around large scythes for them for a x4 crit, heh). That and you get a beatstick after they've unloaded their "CL 13 fireball equivalent" attack. Thats value right there.

prototype00

Florian
2017-05-17, 05:06 AM
Hm.., hm.. and hm....

I think this is about one of the most difficult topics to touch in PF.

You go deep into summoning, you´re already at the right track to branch out into binding/calling.

ATHATH
2017-05-17, 09:50 AM
A few summons (like the grig) have some useful SLAs that might not appear on your spell list.

Is that (IMO) stupid rule from 3.5 that causes spell effects from summoned monsters to wink out when their creators do/are unsummoned still around in PF?

Are you in 3.PF or just PF? Because if you're in the former, go check out the Summoner's Desk Reference and/or the Zceryll handbook (you're not a Binder, but the Zceryll handbook can still be useful for most summoners).

stack
2017-05-17, 11:10 AM
I believe spell effects do end when the summon poofs.

Several options from summon good monster and others have commune.

Florian
2017-05-17, 11:59 AM
A few summons (like the grig) have some useful SLAs that might not appear on your spell list.

Is that (IMO) stupid rule from 3.5 that causes spell effects from summoned monsters to wink out when their creators do/are unsummoned still around in PF?

Are you in 3.PF or just PF? Because if you're in the former, go check out the Summoner's Desk Reference and/or the Zceryll handbook (you're not a Binder, but the Zceryll handbook can still be useful for most summoners).

No, that rule is not around anymore. That´s why summoning is a bit restricted and you need a feat or special deity rules to add to the list, as the additions have a certain "oomph" to it.

Edit: The "Summon" list is final. You can swap certain options or you can use a feat to add certain options, like Summon (Aligned) Monster. You do that, your investment pays of.

stack
2017-05-17, 12:32 PM
No, that rule is not around anymore. That´s why summoning is a bit restricted and you need a feat or special deity rules to add to the list, as the additions have a certain "oomph" to it.

It is around.

Summoning: (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/#TOC-Conjuration) a summoning spell instantly brings a creature or object to a place you designate. When the spell ends or is dispelled, a summoned creature is instantly sent back to where it came from, but a summoned object is not sent back unless the spell description specifically indicates this. A summoned creature also goes away if it is killed or if its hit points drop to 0 or lower, but it is not really dead. It takes 24 hours for the creature to reform, during which time it can’t be summoned again.

When the spell that summoned a creature ends and the creature disappears, all the spells it has cast expire. A summoned creature cannot use any innate summoning abilities it may have.
This is why summoners haven't torpedoed the market on ever burning torches via summoned lantern archons.:smallbiggrin:

Also, scratch my advice on commune. No material components allowed for summoned monster casting. (Nor teleportation or summoning/calling abilities either) Commune has a 500 GP material component.

Elysiume
2017-05-17, 12:59 PM
Not summon Monster but Summon Nature's Ally V (VI gets you 1d3 of them) can get the Cyclops, which have one auto-crit per day with their x3, 3d6+7 (so 9d6+21) crit damage greataxe (I always wanted to keep around large scythes for them for a x4 crit, heh). That and you get a beatstick after they've unloaded their "CL 13 fireball equivalent" attack. Thats value right there.

prototype00I don't have access to SNA, but I'll mention that to our druid. That's a good trick.

Are you in 3.PF or just PF? Because if you're in the former, go check out the Summoner's Desk Reference and/or the Zceryll handbook (you're not a Binder, but the Zceryll handbook can still be useful for most summoners).PF only, so I've got a pretty slim list of monsters to choose from.

Florian
2017-05-18, 02:50 AM
PF only, so I've got a pretty slim list of monsters to choose from.

Look at the feats "Scouting Summons" and "Summon Guardian Spirit".