PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mask of Mad Memories usage

EldritchWeaver
2017-05-17, 06:22 AM
My players thought of using a Mask of Mad Memories (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/scaling-magic-items/) (no direct link) on a child, which happens to live on a druglord's premises. The intention is to get the memories of the layout of the place. Now the sole power available to them is:

Anyone wearing the mask after it has been activated gains a +5 competence bonus on Knowledge checks, Charisma checks, and Charisma-based skill checks relating to the creature whose memories were absorbed, including checks made to impersonate that creature.

How much can they figure out? Nothing at all? The basic layout? Specific usages of rooms? I don't mind that idea per se, but looking over the item, this seems more related to the 12th level power:

The mask’s wearer can also speak the languages the target creature knows. Additionally, she can attempt to pry the answers to specific questions from the absorbed memories once per day. Treat this as speak with dead if the target creature was dead, and otherwise as contact other plane to contact a creature from the Astral Plane with no chance of ability score decrease.

weckar
2017-05-17, 07:36 AM
I'd say it allows for general knowledge, but not specific experiences. The latter is where the 12th level ability comes into play.

EldritchWeaver
2017-05-17, 08:18 AM
So regarding the players' interest in the layout, where is that line exactly? The PC knows the general layout of the house (where rooms, hallways, doors are situated)? The PC knows the general usage of the room (bedroom, storage, office)? The PC knows who occupies which room?

weckar
2017-05-17, 08:34 AM
I'd say first two yes (those are basically unchanging), the last no. And if the information has changed since the child last experienced it, it may not be reliable.