PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Half-Orc Barbarian Crit-Fish

Willywilliamrtx
2017-05-17, 06:34 AM
So, here we are. My build for my new campaign. The unending amount of help I need. :eek:

Quick synopsis: We were in an OotA campaign, 8th level. Our switch DM's didn't enjoy the campaign anymore so one of them is switching to fulltime player and the other is going to fulltime DM using their own setting. We're allowed to remake characters if we so wish, with 1 magic item (requiring DM's approval). Now my initial idea was an Oathbreaker Sorcadin, but since our Paladin is carrying over his character along with Dawnbringer it'd cause unnecessary friction within the party. So now my idea is to go the non-totem bear barbarian route and go fish for some crits.

My current idea is to build it as Barb 5/Fighter 3, taking all futher levels in Barbarian as well. I chose Path of the Berserker simply because of the guaranteed BA attack if I so choose to Frenzy (the exhaustion is a mommywhistler but I can deal with having something detrimental in my build). Now the idea was to use a Greataxe (I've been both allowed to either just make it frostbrand or similar with a chosen damage type, or to smack the vorpal affinity on it but lowering the +3 to +1. There are always other magic items so suggest but these were the immediate fun things that came to mind). I wasn't that excited to just slap +xd6 on my weapon as I'm going critfishing, and it'd put me leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the party DPR-wise.

Stats are going to be rolled by the DM, 4d6 drop lowest (free to distribute the rolled stats wherever we want), if the total is lower than 70 the entire stat array gets rerolled. My chosen race is going to be Half-Orc (extra brutal crit die and the +2/+1 STR/CON). My 4th level feat would be GWM (open for other suggestions ofcourse). No UA material allowed, so strictly physically published 5e works.

Is there any way to be more proficient at the art of crit-fishing? Ending up with atleast 15 lvls in Barb seemed proper to me, as my Frenzy wouldn't end unless I chose it to or drop to the ground. Minimum of 3 lvls in Fighter for the 19-20 crit range (with GWF as fighting style).

I'm open for any and all suggestions! (Ohh and ofcourse many thanks for the spent team reading my post :smallbiggrin:)

edit/update(reply from self down below on page 1):
Slightly back to the drawing board, alas. My DM has ruled that GWF only applies to the weapon's innate dice (so things like Frost Brand won't be rerolled either). I am now open to any and all options.

Got a good suggestion with a 1-handed+shield? Bring it
Got a good suggestion with PAM? Bring it
Champion 17/Totem 3? Bring it!

Zman
2017-05-17, 07:08 AM
HalfOrc +Champion3+ Barbarian2 is the foundation. Then you just need extra attack from somewhere. Additional Barbarian adds more dice to Croats, but more Champion eventually gives you a third attack and an even better crit chance.

Willywilliamrtx
2017-05-17, 07:17 AM
HalfOrc +Champion3+ Barbarian2 is the foundation. Then you just need extra attack from somewhere. Additional Barbarian adds more dice to Croats, but more Champion eventually gives you a third attack and an even better crit chance.
Yeah, my idea was to take 17Berserker/3Champion. Gives me both a third attack and +4dx extra crit damage. The exhaustion from frenzy is a drag, but not something that would shy me away from the Berserker path (That and I've grown extremely bored of the totem barbarian). I'd miss the 18 crit range but I don't know if that's worth dropping 3dx bonus crit damage.

khachaturian
2017-05-17, 09:07 AM
the orcish fury feat from unearthed arcana would give you an extra weapon die that you could apply once per short rest. for your greataxe, that would be an extra 2d12. something to think about if your str ends up being an odd number

Zman
2017-05-17, 09:24 AM
Yeah, my idea was to take 17Berserker/3Champion. Gives me both a third attack and +4dx extra crit damage. The exhaustion from frenzy is a drag, but not something that would shy me away from the Berserker path (That and I've grown extremely bored of the totem barbarian). I'd miss the 18 crit range but I don't know if that's worth dropping 3dx bonus crit damage.

Berserker3/Champion 17 usually gives you 4 attacks per turn, and you crit 27.75%. Sure, you don't get the additional crit dice, but you are attacking one extra time each turn and

It boils down to

2 or 3 attacks with a 19% crit chance for +5d12 Crits

vs

3 or 4 attacks with a 27.75% crit chance for +2d12 crits

GWM is also a super good investment for non frenzying. By later levels you'll end up with a BA attack almost every round.

Either way is a pretty effective build, all depends on which direction you want to go. Personally, I like the idea of Champion with a touch of Barbarian, vs Barbarian with a touch of Champion.

Even if you aren't Frenzying that often due to exhaustion, the level 6 ability of Berserker is pretty outstanding in its own right.

N810
2017-05-17, 09:26 AM
Well if you don't already have advantage, attack recklessly.
this will greatly increase your odds of criting, other wize I think
you are on the right path, also there is a feat that gives you
an extra crit die I believe.

MadBear
2017-05-17, 09:40 AM
If you end up with a spare feat, grab lucky. Being able to turn disadvantage into super advantage (roll 3 dice, pick highest) seems like a good way to help grab those crits.

I'd only recommend that after the prerequisite 20 str, GWM, etc.

Khrysaes
2017-05-17, 10:19 AM
Elven accuracy feat gives you another dice roll when you have advantage. Which would make it more likely for you to crit. You do have to be an elf or half elf.

3 Rogue assassin for some guaranteed crits each combat. Expertise Athletics would also mesh well with your barbarian. With reckless you could guarantee a sneak attack too. This does conflict with Fighter 15's ability if you want Barb 3-4 for that feature.

Willywilliamrtx
2017-05-17, 11:49 AM
Slightly back to the drawing board, alas. My DM has ruled that GWF only applies to the weapon's innate dice (so things like Frost Brand won't be rerolled either). I am now open to any and all options.

Got a good suggestion with a 1-handed+shield? Bring it
Got a good suggestion with PAM? Bring it
Champion 17/Totem 3? Bring it!

As for Orcish Fury and Elven Accuracy; UA material is not allowed at our table and as such I am not eligible to take those feats </3

Khrysaes
2017-05-17, 12:18 PM
If UA isn't allowed and GWM doesn't count for anything more than weapon dice, then you would probably want more barbarian than fighter, since the extra dice on a crit from barbarian is still weapon dice. If that still isn't allowed, then I don't know.

Willywilliamrtx
2017-05-17, 12:27 PM
If UA isn't allowed and GWM doesn't count for anything more than weapon dice, then you would probably want more barbarian than fighter, since the extra dice on a crit from barbarian is still weapon dice. If that still isn't allowed, then I don't know.

Dm silently whispers in the background ''....not sure, I'll have to read up on that'':smallfrown:

bid
2017-05-17, 12:28 PM
I chose Path of the Berserker simply because of the guaranteed BA attack if I so choose to Frenzy (the exhaustion is a mommywhistler but I can deal with having something detrimental in my build).

My chosen race is going to be Half-Orc (extra brutal crit die and the +2/+1 STR/CON). My 4th level feat would be GWM (open for other suggestions ofcourse).
With GWM and reckless, you already crit and get your BA... (1 - .9^4 = .34) every 3 rounds. Frenzy doesn't help as much. How often will you go reckless?

If your DM is willing, start as barbarian 8 with a magic greataxe that puts your critical at 19-20 without having to dip champion. You really want barbarian 9 with improved critical to get some juice out of that crit-fishing.

If you aren't crit-fishing, don't bother with champion. It needs an extra action surge at level 7 to be balanced with BM.

bid
2017-05-17, 12:43 PM
Dm silently whispers in the background ''....not sure, I'll have to read up on that'':smallfrown:
They are.

But frankly, gwf adds 5/6 damage to 1d12. On a 3d12+6 crit, that's 25.5 vs 28 damage. I'd rather get defense style.