PDA

View Full Version : Yawning Portal Experiences?

Catullus64
2017-05-17, 11:23 AM
A friend of mine recently acquired the new Tales from the Yawning Portal book, and plans to begin running all seven modules in one continuous campaign. I happily agreed to play. I've never used published adventures before, but I'm familiar with some of the modules by repute. (White Plume Mountain, Hall of the Fire Giant King, Tomb of Horrors, natch.) Based on the blurb on the back of the book, and all the marketing I've read surrounding this set of adventures, they're billed as being hyper-deadly player-killers, and I must admit that I've always found the idea of meat-grinding, every-other-door-is-trapped, have-six-backup-characters-on-standby games to be sort of tacky and shallow. Any game can be hard, but that doesn't necessarily make it interesting. A sense of threat is obviously necessary, but too much constant danger diminishes the impact of obstacles and makes it difficult to get engaged in a story.

To anyone who has played through these specific incarnations of the adventures, are they really as deadly and unforgiving as the marketing portrays them to be? Do you agree or disagree with my assessment of that style of adventure design? If you could avoid specific spoilers from the dungeons themselves, your discretion would be much apreciated.

PeteNutButter
2017-05-17, 11:55 AM
I've only done the first two yet. If players are smart and optimized it shouldn't be too bad.

There was a CR 7 fight in the second one, when half the PCs were level 3 and the other level 4... so there is that.

Play smart, don't be afraid to retreat and grab a long rest. Take your time, and have someone in the party with the observant feat to catch the dumb traps.

The Tomb of Horrors is a different story from what I've heard. Old school style dungeon that is silly easy to just die.

agnos
2017-05-18, 02:40 AM
It's okay, but it's the worst book adventure in 5e to date. I've run SKT three times now, Strahd twice, OotA once and the various groups I run/play with would happily play them again. No matter what you do in them, you'll never get the whole book of those even in two runs (especially OotA) and the leave room for the DM to personalize the campaign a decent amount. TYP doesn't really do that though and there's the added disadvantage of not having a coherent story.