PDA

View Full Version : Anne of Green Gables

Kyberwulf
2017-05-17, 12:25 PM
Okay, so I was flipping through Netflix. I saw a show called. Anne with an E. I think it was netflix. I don't know, I can't remember
However. I looked at the description. Low and behold.. wait it was netflix. I am pretty sure. Anyway. I thought that the the phrase sounded familiar. Anne with and E. Low and behold. It was a remake of the show from like.. the 80's. Or 90's. I don't know. Can't remember. Wait.. It might have been hulu now that I think about it. Blast from the past. Anyway, I liked the show from the old show. Wait, it might not be a remake, but rather another show done from the books. I don't know if it's made from the books, or the show. So I am not sure if you can call it a remake. I mean if it is from the books and not from the show. I mean, is it a remake if there Was a show made from it already, and you are just making the show again? Or does the show have to actually be redoing the show from the book, in order to be called a remake.

It is Netflix. I just checked. I was wondering if anyone has seen the remake/redo/book adaptaion. Is it anygood? Do they stay close to the book, or do they follow the show pretty close. Seeing how I never actually read the books.

Dang. That's another thing. I remember saying to myself. I am going to read the books. I always kept saying that. Even when I borrowed the book from my cousin. I had it for a year and a half and never read it.

So, can someone tell me if it is a good adaption?

I will watch the netflix version nevertheless. I just don't have the time at the moment. I was hoping the new show would be as good of a rainy day movie as the old one was.

Zea mays
2017-05-17, 04:38 PM
There is a lot that's good about this adaptation. The casting is spot on. The acting is good. The sets and locations are beautiful.

Is it a good adaptation of Anne of Green Gables? No.

Apparently, when planning this series someone actually thought "You know what this story really needs? Some more grimdark". Yes, we are talking about Anne of Green Gables, and no (to quote Dave Barry), I am not making this up.

Kyberwulf
2017-05-17, 05:00 PM
Aww . That's disheartening
I was hoping it would be good.

Rodin
2017-05-17, 05:12 PM
I almost want to watch this now, just to figure out how they would inject grimdark into a story this light and fluffy.

DanyBallon
2017-05-17, 08:30 PM
It's a new show "based" on the books that first run on CBC in Canada and was bought by Netflix. I haven't had the time to watch it yet, so I can't tell how close to the book it is or if the show is really good or not. I only can tell that there was some kind of controversy in Canada as Netflix photoshopped the show poster to give the main character some kind of tan and removed most of her freckles (which is odd as it's a defining characteristic of the character appearance). Also, many don't get the reason for renaming the show Anne, to Anne with a E (which just sound weird, if not stupid)

Kyberwulf
2017-05-18, 11:35 AM
So, I watched the first 5 episodes.

There are two left.

I like it.

It's not the same as Anne of Green Gables. I don't know if I would go so far as to call it grimdark. At least, unless it does something really drastic in the next two episodes. Is it as whimsical and light/fluffy as the Green Gables? Not by a longs shot. In my opinion the characters don't seem like caricature of people, and seem more like characters. They seem more real and fleshed out. Between the two actors of Marilla Cuthbert, I think it's a toss up of which one I like better. I kind of like the new Matthew better though. The old one was just too.. perfectly whimsical.

I kind of like this new Anne better. She seems more, like how I imagine the author kind of intended? I mean Megan Follows was always... to something. I mean I like her and she was good as Anne. By that I mean, when Rachel lays into her at the beginning, Megan isn't nearly any of the things she says. Not Homely, nor skinny, nor anything. I hate to say it, Megan's Anne seemed more like an actor playing a character. The new one seems more real.

Also, I like how people are pretty harsh on this version. So far, the reviews on this series seem more generally negative. I don't know why it's so popular for people to be so hyper-critical now a days. They either overly love something, almost fanatically, or they despise something irrationally. I get that Green Gables was a really liked show. Yet, the show isn't being judged on it's own merits, and seems to be judge one the previous show.

In my mind, saying this show is a grimdark remake of Green Gables, does the show a sort of injustice. I think the show is a pretty decent show grounded a little more in reality. I have to admit that when I stopped fighting my for my nostalgia for Green Gables, and started watching the show. It was a lot better.

I have to say this though. While watching the show. I kept wondering what the show could have been if the updated the time the show is set in to a more modern time. Maybe the 80s or something. Although what with Stranger Things and all the current 80's theme things coming out recently, that would seem gimmicky. You know, that's something about this show, I just realized. Anne with an E seems more timeless. Green Gables seems more set in the time it was written.

I think the name Anne. If left just like that, could be confused with Annie. A show about a different orphan. Besides, I think Anne with a E encapsulates Anne almost perfectly. It is weird, and almost stupid yet, just misunderstood. Just like Anne. I mean, as soon as I saw the name Anne with a E. I almost instantly knew who the show was about, and was instantly interested in checking it out.

Like I said, I still have a couple episodes to go. I mean, barring some pretty huge changes to it, I say this show is pretty good.

Pex
2017-05-18, 05:52 PM
The buzz is a thumbs down from the fans. It's accepted it would be unfair to compare it directly with the Megan Follows miniseries, but people are not liking it for its own sake. They made it dark, gritty, edgy. It shouldn't have been. The fans wanted the wholesomeness.

Personally, I hope this starts a turn around. So many pop culture remakes are dark, gritty, edgy, I'm sick of it. Being dark, gritty, edgy doesn't make things better. It's not superior drama. With bias, it's not superior roleplay gaming. It's a valid style, fine for its fans. I can accept it as the premise for something specifically made for it, such as Bladerunner, but not all the time for everything.

Ranxerox
2017-05-18, 07:27 PM
Anne With An "E" is running 86% with both critics and audiences on Rotten Tomatoes. That is considered "Certified Fresh". So, no, I don't think it is being widely panned.

My wife and I have been watching it and we have been enjoying it a lot. I haven't read the book or seen the movie so I don't have any investment in earlier takes on the material. All I can say is based purely on it's own merits, it is a good show.