PDA

View Full Version : Question: true strike

Desteplo
2017-05-17, 12:59 PM
Outside of out of combat "you have one shot to hit that lever before the orcs breach the castle!" Why didn't you pick made hand!

-house ruling it to say "next attack" so eldritch knights get a bonus action advantage attack. Or lvl 14 bards... but at that point why are you bothering with one attack at advantage. Use haste!

-I feel like no one should ever pick it up. What if it was bonus action? Break game or make it worth it

The Ship's dog
2017-05-17, 02:35 PM
One thing: Sorcerer, more specifically, the Quicken Metamagic.

You can turn it into a bonus action, or turn another spell into a bonus action and just use it as a standard action, but either way is essentially the same.

I have been using it on my Storm Sorcerer 6/Tempest Cleric 2 and have been having a lot of fun and success with it.

I agree that I could be using other Cantrips like Firebolt for more damage, but generally our party doesn't need me to pump more damage out as we have enough, and me giving people advantage (like the Rogue) turns out to be more valuable.

Now, whilst it is the equivalent of using a first level spell slot in Sorcery Points each time, I think of Sorcery Points as things to be used liberally. In my view, even though they are equivalents, 2 Sorcery points are less valuable as a spell slot than they are as fuel for Metamagic or converting into higher tier spell slots. However, because they are more valuable as points, that doesn't mean they should be coveted, and they should be used however way you want. Anyway with my build I currently have 2 4th spell slots without any 4th level spells, so I treat them as a juicy 6 Sorcery Points each.

So yeah, I have found great success with True Strike, but I have the best situation pretty much.

As for making it better, I would say the buff as equally good as making it a bonus action to it, would be making it no cencentration.

dejarnjc
2017-05-17, 02:38 PM
Outside of out of combat "you have one shot to hit that lever before the orcs breach the castle!" Why didn't you pick made hand!

-house ruling it to say "next attack" so eldritch knights get a bonus action advantage attack. Or lvl 14 bards... but at that point why are you bothering with one attack at advantage. Use haste!

-I feel like no one should ever pick it up. What if it was bonus action? Break game or make it worth it

Yeah it's an awful cantrip as is. I'm not 100% sure but my gut tells me that making it a bonus action cantrip AND having it affect the next attack would be fair. I would absolutely limit it to weapon attacks though.

Sigreid
2017-05-17, 02:44 PM
Winning at darts in the pub?

solidork
2017-05-17, 02:47 PM
I agree that I could be using other Cantrips like Firebolt for more damage, but generally our party doesn't need me to pump more damage out as we have enough, and me giving people advantage (like the Rogue) turns out to be more valuable.

Only the caster benefits from True Strike.

I've toyed with the idea of creating a new cantrip that lets you get the benefit of either Blade Ward or True Strike when you cast it, potentially reducing the opportunity cost of having a very niche cantrip.

MeeposFire
2017-05-17, 02:58 PM
True strike has a lot of caveats that really limits its ability to be useful.

It is an action so it takes up most of your round.

It cannot affect an attack the same round that you use it (hurts it with things like quicken and war magic).

It has concentration thus limiting your ability to use it as you level since you become more likely to want to use concentration spells the further you go.

It only affects one attack which means that unless your ability to use the spell does not reduce the number of attacks you make in a round then you are actually still hurting yourself be using it. For instance using true strike with war magic (and house ruling that it works on the very next attack just to make it better) and you get one attack with advantage rather than at the same level you could have just used the attack action and got the same number of attack rolls at 2 but had you could actually damage twice rather than just once. SO even at level 8 it is better to use the attack action and not true strike and it gets worse at level 11.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. They did an amazing job of making sure that true strike was as niche as possible and thus almost never worth spending a resource on it.

Dudewithknives
2017-05-17, 03:39 PM
Yeah it's an awful cantrip as is. I'm not 100% sure but my gut tells me that making it a bonus action cantrip AND having it affect the next attack would be fair. I would absolutely limit it to weapon attacks though.

If you do that expect people to play a lot of Arcane Trickster archers.

Desteplo
2017-05-17, 03:46 PM
If you do that expect people to play a lot of Arcane Trickster archers.

Don't they already get advantage from Mage hand bonus action? I guess that's quite far at lvl 13
-luckily no one in my group is likely to pick rogue. So that should be fine

MeeposFire
2017-05-17, 03:50 PM
Don't they already get advantage from Mage hand bonus action? I guess that's quite far at lvl 13
-luckily no one in my group is likely to pick rogue. So that should be fine

They do though it has some practical issues in using it depending on the situation.

Regardless though rogues getting to use sneak attack every turn is essentially something you assume and losing your bonus action with a rogue is a cost because that means no free disengage or hiding.

Ruebin Rybnik
2017-05-17, 04:19 PM
If i was DM i would alter the word like this:

You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you insight into the target's defenses.
On your first attack roll each turn, you gain advantage provided that this spell hasn't ended.

This makes sense of the concentration part, makes it more useful but doesn't break the game.

Tanarii
2017-05-17, 05:48 PM
It's worth having True Strike if you expect to upcast Chromatic Orb a lot to your highest level spell slots, are currently within 30ft of your target, and are willing to wait a round not to risk wasting the spell slot.

Why you'd want to do that I'm not sure. But if you DID want to do it, it's a reason to have True Strike. There aren't many other attack roll non-concentration Wizard/Sorcerer/Bard spells. (There aren't that many attack roll non-cantrip spells period.)