PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a build as well as some Homebrew

Mongobear
2017-05-17, 02:42 PM
I want to make a BladeLock. I want to go Fiend patron. I want my Patron to be Levistus, Lord of the Fifth. Details (http://dungeonsdragons.wikia.com/wiki/Levistus)

My Race choices at the start are likely either Half-Elf, VHuman, Feral Tiefling, or Fallen Aasimar, unless someone can convince me something else is better.

My hang-ups:

The default Fiend bonus spells are mostly Fire based, Levistus has a pretty strong Ice theme, these don't really mesh well. Also, there aren't really a whole lot of Ice Spells to begin with, would taking something like Scorching Ray, and making it Cold damage be balanced? Or are some of these spells Fire for a reason?

I was looking at the Warlock UA from a few weeks back, and saw the "Smite-vocations". There is one for Fiend Pact followers of Dispater, but not for any other Fiend Patron. Would making a 'homebrew' Invocation similar to the Smite-vocations that forms a Rapier, deals bonus Cold damage per spell slot, and has a rider effect like say, reduced speed to 0, shoving prone, or preventing healing for a turn like the Chill Touch cantrip be too good?

I know in 3.X, he had a Wounding Rapier, which dealt bleed damage every round, I think that would be too strong, so the Healing Reduction seemed appropriate. Alternatively, since other Smite-vocations reduce speed to 0, having the targets feet encased in ice as a fluff reason it happens is a simple way to make it make sense.

Multiclassing into Swashbuckler Rogue for atleast 3 levels. Pretty self explanatory, it just makes sense for the theme Levistus follows and it actually has some decent synergy with Charisma. I doubt I would go much further than 3 Rogue, maybe 5 for Uncanny Dodge or 6 for more Expertise.

Any ideas of suggestions? Homebrew content is welcome, my DM is likely to allow damage type swaps, and UA material, but probably not DMs Guild type stuff.

EDIT: We're starting at 9th level, in a custom world/setting. We rolled stats, I went pretty godly with my array, so optimazing ASI's isn't that big a deal, I can likely pick up a few extra Feats compared to an AL build. 10 14 15 16 17 17 are my stats before any racials/ASIs.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-17, 03:08 PM
The default Fiend bonus spells are mostly Fire based, Levistus has a pretty strong Ice theme, these don't really mesh well. Also, there aren't really a whole lot of Ice Spells to begin with, would taking something like Scorching Ray, and making it Cold damage be balanced? Or are some of these spells Fire for a reason?
You don't have to take any of the patron spells if you don't want; there are enough on the default Warlock list to get by. (And you'll probably burn your slots on Hex and Armor of Agathys anyway). But if your DM goes for it, no, there's no harm in changing the element of a spell, especially not between common energy types like fire and cold. It may be a slight advantage, but not enough of one to be worth getting hung up about no matter what anyone whines about DPR.

Multiclassing into Swashbuckler Rogue for atleast 3 levels. Pretty self explanatory, it just makes sense for the theme Levistus follows and it actually has some decent synergy with Charisma. I doubt I would go much further than 3 Rogue, maybe 5 for Uncanny Dodge or 6 for more Expertise.
Not a bad idea; it'll help your suitability a lot and offer a neat damage bonus. I could see something like Warlock 5/Swashbuckler 5.

Mongobear
2017-05-17, 03:23 PM
You don't have to take any of the patron spells if you don't want; there are enough on the default Warlock list to get by. (And you'll probably burn your slots on Hex and Armor of Agathys anyway). But if your DM goes for it, no, there's no harm in changing the element of a spell, especially not between common energy types like fire and cold. It may be a slight advantage, but not enough of one to be worth getting hung up about no matter what anyone whines about DPR.

I know I don't have to take them, but it sort of feels odd taking a cold-themed Fiend, and only being able to choose Fire themed spells. If he doesn't allow energy type swapping, maybe he could rebuild the list and let me swap the Fire spells for similar level Cold spells, if they exist?

Not a bad idea; it'll help your suitability a lot and offer a neat damage bonus. I could see something like Warlock 5/Swashbuckler 5.

To start out, 9th level, I was debating Warlock 6/Swashbuckler 3, mainly because the archetype features mesh well. I would likely go 2 more Swashbuckler for Uncanny Dodge, then finish out as Warlock depending on the level we get to by the end.