PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How does Eldritch Heritage work with racial class levels?

Kahlendrrari
2017-05-17, 02:57 PM
If a ghoul oracle 7 were to take eldritch heritage (Ghoul) [silly, I know, but humor me], how would the feat interact with the ghoul's racial hit dice?

Eldritch Heritage reads: Select one sorcerer bloodline. You must have Skill focus in the class skill that bloodline grants to a sorcerer at 1st level (for example, Heal for the celestial bloodline). This bloodline cannot be a bloodline you already have. You gain the first-level bloodline power for the selected bloodline. For purposes of using that power, treat your sorcerer level as equal to your character level – 2, even if you have levels in sorcerer. You do not gain any of the other bloodline abilities.

The 1st level ghoul bloodline ability states: Starting at 1st level, you can grow claws as a free action. These claws are treated as natural weapons, allowing you to make two claw attacks as a full attack using your full base attack bonus. Each of these attacks deals 1d4 points of damage + your Strength modifier (1d3 if you are Small). At 5th level, creatures damaged with your claw attack are paralyzed for 1 round, as the ghoul ability (Fort negates). At 7th level, the duration of the paralysis increases to 1d4+1 rounds, and the claws are considered magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming DR. You can use your claws for a number of rounds per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. These rounds do not need to be consecutive."If you’re a ghoul with this bloodline, instead of gaining this ability (the claws), your levels in sorcerer stack with your racial Hit Dice when determining the DC of your paralysis and disease special abilities."

Would eldritch heritage calculate as ghoul HD + Oracle levels -2, granting a DC of 10 + (2 RHD + 7 [character level -2])/2 +10 + Cha Mod; DC 14 + Cha?

Would it calculate as Oracle levels -2, granting a DC of 10 + (2 RHD + 5 [character level -2])/2 +10 + Cha Mod; DC 13 + Cha?

I know the difference in the DC is only 1, but I'm really curious.

On a side note, without creating another thread, would the resist life revelation of a bones oracle grant a ghoul an additional +2 channel resistance, or would they overlap until oracle 11 when resist life grants channel resistance +4.

Florian
2017-05-17, 03:47 PM
Your character level is based on total HD, not differentiating between race and class HD. Your ghoul oracle 7 has a total of 9 HD, defining your skill rank maximum, hp, and so on. Your effective sorcerer level for HE would be 9-2 = 7.

Kahlendrrari
2017-05-17, 05:22 PM
That's what I figured, but second opinions are always nice.

The character I have in mind is a ghoul Oracle of bone (with the wasting curse) worshiper of Trelmarixian, with aspirations to get into the souldrinker class for a few levels before returning to oracle. My first level feat is Civilized Ghoulishness, followed by skill focus: stealth, then Eldritch Heritage (Ghoul).

A little bit of back story that I have made is: He was a dhampir before he was killed, and an oracle of bone no less. Working as a priest for the church of Pharasma he was supposed to go clear out a lone ghoul that had taken residence, but it turned out to be a ghast and he was slain. Called back into service and given a blessing of second (un)life and limited clerical powers by Trelmarixian.

RP'ing a leprosy infected dhampir. I kind of want the character to be a bad touch oracle in combat.

If I were allowed to get super crazy, I would VMC into cleric to pick up the madness domain that Trelmarixian offers.