PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Philter of Love Ideas

krulin
2017-05-17, 05:52 PM
I'm playing a Minotaur Barbarian named Ayasha. A long time ago in our campaign she got a Philter of Love, and I have been dumbfounded on how I should use it since. I know the mechanics, but just don't know what I'd use it for. I don't see a way to make 1 hour of charm useful. So, my questions are what suggestions do you guys have for using a philter of love and what stories do you have related to them?

RickAllison
2017-05-17, 10:35 PM
Go a-courting, but don't use it for that, as it would be a breach of trust. Instead, offer it to them for their own use at one point as your "If you love something, set it free..."

Regitnui
2017-05-18, 01:21 AM
In my game, the barbarian and the artificer spiked the paladin's drink with one. This was after he used purify food and drink on his previously spiked drink, turning it (and the other drinks at the table) into high-proof alcohol.

Gtdead
2017-05-18, 01:37 AM
Go a-courting, but don't use it for that, as it would be a breach of trust. Instead, offer it to them for their own use at one point as your "If you love something, set it free..."
Clever bastard. I approve 100%

RickAllison
2017-05-18, 07:36 AM
Clever bastard. I approve 100%

It was spoken from the heart of a 7-Charisma minotaur wizard, who has realized just how hard it is to get a relationship to stick in the world despite all his magic.

krulin
2017-05-18, 09:03 AM

You hit on the main problem I have with it. Using it on someone unsuspecting is a breach of trust at the very least. At worst it's much more. So, it would have to be used for nefarious purposes unless used as you described in the second half of that.

I'm discussing with my DM if it would have any longer lingering effects on the person that aren't explicitly stated in the DMG. Because the only other use I can come up with for it is arranging a one night stand (albeit a very intense one). I'd like it if the potion had the chance of giving a small relationship bonus after it's primary effects. I just can't imagine having an intense feeling like true love and it not having secondary effects down the line (albeit much less intense side effects).

Unoriginal
2017-05-18, 09:21 AM
it would have to be used for nefarious purposes unless used as you described in the second half of that.

You could use it for a "seduce X person as distraction/to get into a secluded area" plot. Or any plans where you need someone to be charmed so they do your bidding.

Because the only other use I can come up with for it is arranging a one night stand (albeit a very intense one).

Errr... dude, using mind-altering magic to get sex fall squarely into "nefarious purpose".

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-18, 09:51 AM
Because the only other use I can come up with for it is arranging a one night stand (albeit a very intense one).

That's not so much an intense one night stand as it is straight up rape...

Ninja_Prawn
2017-05-18, 10:10 AM
I don't see a way to make 1 hour of charm useful.

To be fair, 'charm' magic in D&D ought to get a lot more side-eye than it does. It's almost always crazy unethical.

As for trying to use a Philter of Love to achieve positive goals in an ethical way, maybe... treat it as a foot in the door with someone who would love you but for some reason can't or won't give you the time of day? It doesn't say that the target knows it was charmed or that it forgets what happened during the hour, so if you can do/say things during the potion's duration that would demonstrate to your beloved that you are relationship material, it may act as a catalyst for them developing genuine feelings further down the line.

So, for example, perhaps a nobleman won't talk to you because you're a commoner, but actually you've got loads in common, would make a great couple, etc. etc. and if you charmed him with the love potion, you'd have an hour to open his eyes to that fact. It can be surprising how quickly people can fall for each other when they open up and show some generosity/vulnerability.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-18, 10:26 AM
So, for example, perhaps a nobleman won't talk to you because you're a commoner, but actually you've got loads in common, would make a great couple, etc. etc. and if you charmed him with the love potion, you'd have an hour to open his eyes to that fact. It can be surprising how quickly people can fall for each other when they open up and show some generosity/vulnerability.

This is literally how Voldemort was born

NecroDancer
2017-05-18, 11:31 AM
My suggestion is too give it too someone when they are looking in the mirror.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-05-18, 11:39 AM
My suggestion is too give it too someone when they are looking in the mirror.

Wouldn't do much if they were straight. :smalltongue:

Unoriginal
2017-05-18, 02:28 PM
To be fair, 'charm' magic in D&D ought to get a lot more side-eye than it does. It's almost always crazy unethical.

As for trying to use a Philter of Love to achieve positive goals in an ethical way, maybe... treat it as a foot in the door with someone who would love you but for some reason can't or won't give you the time of day? It doesn't say that the target knows it was charmed or that it forgets what happened during the hour, so if you can do/say things during the potion's duration that would demonstrate to your beloved that you are relationship material, it may act as a catalyst for them developing genuine feelings further down the line.

Using mind-control drugs on someone to start a relationship is just being a creep.

Seriously, I don't see what's the conundrum or why people are acting like "how do I get love with it?"

Love potions NEVER work to get actual love. That's the whole point of them.

If you want to use your Philter of Love in a constructive, ethical way, use it to have a charm effect on one of the bad guys for a while so you can accomplish your mission with less trouble.

krulin
2017-05-18, 03:55 PM
That's not so much an intense one night stand as it is straight up rape...

I know that. I was just saying that's the only use I could think of. Though others make good points about it being used to let someone give you the time of day, so that they could eventually fall in love with you. It could also be used to just have a really powerful charm on someone to get by them or somethign like that too.

I guess I was just looking for something a little creative. The using it on someone when they look in the mirror would be funny though. :D

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-18, 04:17 PM
Yeah, Love Potions really should be an evil thing. I'm just going to screw with your strongest and most private emotions to touch DAT ***, don't mind me. Using it and hoping people will have anything to do with you afterwards in a friendly sense is bonkers. They're going to HATE you for that. It is not a way to get someone's positive attention, but to get them to hire assassins to murder you.

I'd save it for when seducing someone is...More grey. Say your buddies are captured by an evil noble. Seducing the guard isn't great, but the alternative is letting everyone die. I wouldn't go...Too far with the effects, but just enough to get the key and get the heck out of there.

Unoriginal
2017-05-18, 05:09 PM
It's just a temporary charm effect. Unless the person who drinks is the kind to have sex on the spot, and the person they see is actively pushing for it, it's not likely to happen.

I know that. I was just saying that's the only use I could think of. Though others make good points about it being used to let someone give you the time of day, so that they could eventually fall in love with you. It could also be used to just have a really powerful charm on someone to get by them or somethign like that too.

I guess I was just looking for something a little creative. The using it on someone when they look in the mirror would be funny though. :D

OP, if you want a creative use of it: trick an wounded powerful enemy into thinking it's an health potion when the potion "accidentally" fall from your bag, then have them turn on their allies for a while as they drink it

NecroDancer
2017-05-18, 05:30 PM
Wouldn't do much if they were straight. :smalltongue:

Darn it! Once again my plans are foiled by heterosexuality.

Sariel Vailo
2017-05-19, 12:02 AM
how an orc and an elf actually start a romance.

2D8HP
2017-05-25, 07:46 AM
how an orc and an elf actually start a romance.

Which is how humans got started as a species.

It makes sense dagnabbit!

Dappershire
2017-05-25, 07:59 AM
You're a barbarian, you don't have to follow their civilized way of courtship thinking. Go ahead, shove it down some young bulls throat. Or lad. Don't know which side of the racial spectrum your character lies.

NecroDancer
2017-05-25, 08:54 AM
Could you use the philter of love as poison to confuse your enemies in battle?

Imagine if the BBEG fell in love with the PCs during the final battle

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-25, 09:41 AM
Could you use the philter of love as poison to confuse your enemies in battle?

Imagine if the BBEG fell in love with the PCs during the final battle

This sounds like a good use for the command spell. "Drink!"

ApplePen
2017-05-25, 09:05 PM
Enchantment is only as evil as any other school. Evocation harms. Illusion messes with people's senses. Divination can spy on the most private and intimate of moments. Conjuration is slavery. Really the only school that is not nefarious is abjuration. It's all about how you use it.

solidork
2017-05-25, 11:32 PM
Wait until you meet someone special, then split it on your anniversary or Valentine's day for a truly Extra romantic evening.

RickAllison
2017-05-26, 06:19 AM
Wait until you meet someone special, then split it on your anniversary or Valentine's day for a truly Extra romantic evening.

Awwwwwwwww...

solidork
2017-05-26, 07:27 AM
Find someone who wants to rekindle their marriage by drinking it themselves and then falling in love again with their spouse. Find someone especially old/young who just wants to fall in love at least once in their life; it doesn't really matter who with or for how long.

Basically, just find someone who wants to drink it themselves and not trick someone else into drinking it.

Unoriginal
2017-05-26, 08:12 AM

But that would have no effect, then.

dejarnjc
2017-05-26, 08:20 AM
Seems like it's best for interrogations, "subtly" getting information from a source, and paired with the COMMAND spell (as someone else mentioned already) potentially even during combat.

solidork
2017-05-26, 09:05 AM
I've got more ideas: you are forbidden from attacking/harming someone who has charmed you. Suppose you need to work with an enemy for a short time and both of you want assurances that the other will not betray you: both of you drink a Philter of Love (or split it if your DM is feeling lenient) and then go murder your mutual enemy with the power of your unresolved sexual tension!

But that would have no effect, then.

It depends on what tropes you want to play up; like, if it makes you act especially demonstratively about your affection in a way you usually aren't, it could be fun.

A closer and more rigorous reading of the effects would make a "we both drink" is like the ultimate game of relationship chicken: can you imagine if one person dramatically changed their behavior while the other didn't? You would not believe how many fanfics I've read where one character is seemingly immune to the love spell/potion because they are already in love with the protagonist.

Sariel Vailo
2017-05-26, 10:19 AM
Since nobody has done this yet.bowchicca bow bow

2D8HP
2017-05-26, 11:00 AM

I can easily imagine this.

I can also imagine near strangers agreeing to doing something like this just so they can feel "in love" (https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/11/fashion/modern-love-to-fall-in-love-with-anyone-do-this.html?_r=0&referer=) for a little while.

RickAllison
2017-05-26, 12:18 PM
Since nobody has done this yet.bowchicca bow bow

Get out of here, Tucker!

tieren
2017-05-26, 12:35 PM
I can easily imagine this.

I can also imagine near strangers agreeing to doing something like this just so they can feel "in love" (https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/11/fashion/modern-love-to-fall-in-love-with-anyone-do-this.html?_r=0&referer=) for a little while.

Could also be interesting item in a brothel. After all the negotiations are done and you ordered the "girlfriend experince" prostitute knowingly consumes...

RickAllison
2017-05-26, 09:22 PM
Could also be interesting item in a brothel. After all the negotiations are done and you ordered the "girlfriend experince" prostitute knowingly consumes...

It makes me think of an episode of Scrubs where a woman doesn't want to die a virgin and has a fling with Ted. A terminal patient could be able to really experience physical, intimate love with someone they love and that loves them back.

Neakris
2019-03-25, 07:49 PM
I'm playing a Minotaur Barbarian named Ayasha. A long time ago in our campaign she got a Philter of Love, and I have been dumbfounded on how I should use it since. I know the mechanics, but just don't know what I'd use it for. I don't see a way to make 1 hour of charm useful. So, my questions are what suggestions do you guys have for using a philter of love and what stories do you have related to them?
Omg, I just got this as a treasure and DM kept this item as a secret from other (so they don't know I have it). He also said that this one is permanent, not one hour (he loves to mess with players). I am soooo gonna make one of the party members to drink it, staring at me :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: