PDA

View Full Version : How long until I regret this?

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-01, 06:46 PM
I am thinking of buying a Ring of the Diamond Mind for my level 5(lvl 4 gold) Swordsage 1/Battle sorc 4(going into JPM) in a World's Largest Dungeon Game. The reason being that I like Insightful Strike (roll concentration check in place of damage for an attack). How long is the access to this manuever (which I won't be able to take without spending a feat, as Jade Phonix Mage doesn't give access to Diamond Mind manuevers) going to continue to be better than other things I could have bought with 4,000 gold.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-01, 06:48 PM
If it were anywhere but WLD, I'd say "trade it in later for an upgrade." Honestly, though, not that hot. I'd rather get one of Emerald Razor, personally, because touch attacks will always be useful. Adding Concentration to damage once will not, particularly if there's other martial adepts involved already.

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-01, 06:52 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one using alot of ToB, it is a very informal fluid game, (whoever wants to show up, we average 3 players). My base damage is kinda sad with my 10 str wielding a shortsword. It might be better once I hit arcane wrath though.

I don't think I'm locked into a specific manuever with the Ring of Diamond Mind. I believe I can swap it out by removing it, and then waiting the 24 hours. I'll have to check.

Also, at 5th level, I can deal 1d20+16 with that strike. Which seems significant. But then again, the Weapon Focus tree looks good, on the face it.

Saph
2007-08-01, 07:06 PM
Also, at 5th level, I can deal 1d20+16 with that strike. Which seems significant.

It is significant. 1d20+16 is an average of 26.5 damage. A Greatsword-wielding melee fighter with Str 16 does an average of 11 damage per hit - you're doing more than twice that.

Plus your damage will scale with level, as your Concentration skill goes up, so it'll still be competitive for a good while.

- Saph

Thinker
2007-08-01, 07:08 PM
It is significant. 1d20+16 is an average of 26.5 damage. A Greatsword-wielding melee fighter with Str 16 does an average of 11 damage per hit - you're doing more than twice that.

Before PA :P

Saph
2007-08-01, 07:12 PM

Yeah, yeah, as I wrote that I knew the melee-optimisers would start throwing in extras. :P

Point is, an average damage of 26 for a standard action hit is pretty good. I don't think you need to worry about people looking down on you.

- Saph

Mike_G
2007-08-01, 07:14 PM

But you don't take any attack penalty to use Insightful Strike.

At 5th level, you probably aren't dumping more than 2 or 3 points into PA anyway if you want to reliably hit, and can't dump more than 5, which would bring you close to the average for Insightful Strike, with a very reduced attack bonus.

1d20+16 is very good for 5th level, for an attack with no real downside.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-01, 07:16 PM
Actually, can you couple power attack with Intuitive Strike?

Or, gods help me, touch spells with Intuitive Strike?

I mean, you'd still have to hit Armored AC instead of Touch AC, but you could cast something like Shocking Grasp one round. Next round, move into position, smack them upside the head with Intuitive Strike (and maybe Improved Unarmed Strike or wielding a gauntlet), and use the held charge from Shocking Grasp for extra bzzt.

Glyphic
2007-08-01, 07:22 PM
Nah. Insightful strike has a note about not dealing any other extra damage from feats, spells, and such.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-01, 07:32 PM
Nah. Insightful strike has a note about not dealing any other extra damage from feats, spells, and such.

Thank god.

...does Sapphire Nightmare Blade have the same clause?

Glyphic
2007-08-01, 07:38 PM
No, it doesn't. It's not as terrible, I think. Being flat footed is the worst part. The extra damage is 1d6, or normal of the concentration check fails.

Ethdred
2007-08-02, 08:28 AM
Apologies for being slightly OT, but where did you find the Ring of Diamond Mind - it's not in ToB afair. Is it a home brew item? If so, can you post stats please?

Arbitrarity
2007-08-02, 09:16 AM
Check the magic items section. It's one of those, like the crown of white ravens. Exactly the same, just a different Path, and a different body slot.