PDA

View Full Version : Need ways to boost fort save in Pathfinder.

Hackulator
2017-05-18, 01:23 AM
So, I'm currently playing in a pathfinder game and my character is going to attempt the ritual to become a lich. As part of the ritual, my character needs to cut out his own heart and squeeze it out on my phylactery.

Surviving long enough to do this is going to require a fort save which, if I fail my character will die and it's unlikely I would get rezzed since even if my party finds my body they will be super unhappy with me for attempting the ritual as I'm the only evil party member.

So I'm looking for any advice for ways my character can buff his fort save for that roll, since clearly, I'd like to survive it. Can't add any feats, my next feat goes to Craft Wondrous so I can make the phylactery and then I plan to perform the ritual.

Thanks!

edit - I already have resist bonus taken care of as well as a +8 enhancement bonus to con from burst of adrenaline

EldritchWeaver
2017-05-18, 01:56 AM
If feats and class features are out (or do you have retraining available?), then magical or alchemical items or magic spells which improve Constitution or the Fort save specifically. Be aware of stacking rules. Sorry, I can't be more specific, never looked for that kind stuff on the prd.

Shadowquad
2017-05-18, 03:00 AM
Well... Here's what I can think of:

Greater heroism + Moment of greatness -> +8 morale
Cracked pale green ioun prism -> +1 competence
Grand destiny -> +4 competence (does not stack with the ioun stone)
Scroll of Moment of Prescience -> +15 insight
Ring of terrible cost -> +5 profane
Blood reservoir of physical prowess -> +8 inherent to Constitution
Lucky Horseshoe -> +4 luck

A depleted Luck Blade would also allow you to reroll a failed save. There's also a cheap ioun stone that, when combined with a Wayfinder, gives you an untyped +1 to Fortitude saves, but I can't remember which one, and the pfsrd is down at the moment.

Edit: I found the ioun stone, it's the Cracked pale blue rhomboid. It only costs 200 GP, but IIRC there's a low change of them getting resonant powers at all, so you would better buy a bunch of them and test if they resonate with your Wayfinder.

Hackulator
2017-05-18, 08:34 AM
Well... Here's what I can think of:

Greater heroism + Moment of greatness -> +8 morale
Cracked pale green ioun prism -> +1 competence
Grand destiny -> +4 competence (does not stack with the ioun stone)
Scroll of Moment of Prescience -> +15 insight
Ring of terrible cost -> +5 profane
Blood reservoir of physical prowess -> +8 inherent to Constitution
Lucky Horseshoe -> +4 luck

A depleted Luck Blade would also allow you to reroll a failed save. There's also a cheap ioun stone that, when combined with a Wayfinder, gives you an untyped +1 to Fortitude saves, but I can't remember which one, and the pfsrd is down at the moment.

Edit: I found the ioun stone, it's the Cracked pale blue rhomboid. It only costs 200 GP, but IIRC there's a low change of them getting resonant powers at all, so you would better buy a bunch of them and test if they resonate with your Wayfinder.

Much thanks sir, some of these are out of reach but I should be able to squeeze enough out of this to make it work.

Sagetim
2017-05-18, 12:09 PM
I mean, alternatively you could try researching a spell for the explicit purpose of surviving with your heart out long enough to complete the ritual. You're already investing a lot of time, effort, and resources into becoming a lich, so reasonably speaking a spell that makes sure you survive the correct amount of time for the ritual would be the kind of niche spell that a prospective lich would reasonably try to research. Or one that specifically gives you a large fort save bonus for that specific kind of fortitude save. Perhaps a spell that makes it so that your next one on a fort save doesn't count as an automatic failure?

thecrimsondawn
2017-05-18, 12:15 PM
I mean, alternatively you could try researching a spell for the explicit purpose of surviving with your heart out long enough to complete the ritual. You're already investing a lot of time, effort, and resources into becoming a lich, so reasonably speaking a spell that makes sure you survive the correct amount of time for the ritual would be the kind of niche spell that a prospective lich would reasonably try to research. Or one that specifically gives you a large fort save bonus for that specific kind of fortitude save. Perhaps a spell that makes it so that your next one on a fort save doesn't count as an automatic failure?

Im going to agree with this option. While I could give other options such as path of war stuff to use, that is a feat investment, whereas this is simply time and money. A spell to survive without your heart would be an easy one to make, perhaps no higher then level 4.
There is another option of using a spell that allows your soul to take over another body so you can operate on yourself while in another vessel. By doing this you could use some very early level necromancy spells to prolong your life or something.

Hackulator
2017-05-24, 02:14 AM

This is likely not an option. Since my DM made up this ritual as a custom ritual with the intention of making me put my life in danger if I want to become a lich, he's not going to let me research a custom spell to circumvent that.