PDA

View Full Version : Various Skillmonkey+Gish builds?

Reprimand
2017-05-18, 01:45 AM
I'm trying to figure out the best builds for "jack of all trades" gish characters.

Specifically characters that are gish-like but also have the benefit of tons of skills but don't nessicarily need to have 9th level spells and sneak attack advancing stuff is a nice bonus and I would prefer an attack bonus of at least +16.

I have posted previously about a build using CN Human Penatrating Strike/Poison Use Rog4/Fighter bonus feat variant Wiz1/Unseen Seer 10/Abjuration Champion 5. This gets +16 base attack bonus, 8th level spells, plenty of skills and 7d6 sneak attack. Although I don't get 9th level spells I feel like this build is still very versatile and can solve a lot of problems both in and out of combat.

Is there a similar build like this for rogue/cleric? I'm way less experienced with sneaky clerics prcs and class variants.

Does anyone know of similar builds to these or resources I can use?

I find there are a lot less resources on stealthy clerics that don't also end up costing a lot of caster levels.

EDIT:

My usual DMs doesn't usually ToB, Incarneum, Tome of Magic (The DM/Group don't care for binding in particular as the DM himself has problems with it being in his game for), They don't think they're op or anything they just don't care for the flavor on a lot of these types of "magic". We try to limit ourselves to all the base classes from 3.5 core+ completes and most of the alternate class feature type stuff most PRCs are allowed.

In terms of sources allowed the best way to describe this is anything that builds off any of the core+completes is allowed almost all alternate class features are allowed same with races but the group tends to draw lines in the sand when it comes to new magic type systems such as maneuvers/stances, binding, incarnanum etc. Psionics is welcome but alternate base classes like chamleon/factotum are not. However stuff like Psychic Rogue would be well received as it has roots in the core as a rogue.

prototype00
2017-05-18, 01:58 AM
I'm somewhat fond of Ted the Enabler myself:

Ah, this takes me back, thanks altpersona for having it saved:

I think its time we had a redux of Ted the enabler such that he is able to take a full role as a PC rather than as a gopher.

The factotum class combined with the chameleon PrC and the font of inspiration feat makes the all purpose Mary Sue character more than just a dream (take that Feceman, factotum/chameleon rules now! Ha!)

With that in mind,

Ted the Enabler/ Destroyer/ Manipulator e.t.c what doesn't he do?

Factotum 11/ Chameleon 9

Feats: (font of inspiration for every one)

With the floating feat from chameleon, you're the party's best friend, just charge 80%-90% of market price for making magic items and pocket the 40% profit. (20 CL, all spells from every class list, you can basically make everything)

Then with your reduced level, ride the xp gravy train until you've more or less caught up and are on par with the party. (Of course you're not on par with the party, you're slightly better what with the extra gp that you're making on the side)

If not crafting, guess what, that floating feat can be font of inspiration as well. How about that?

Now use a quaterstaff in combat (for the cool underestimation factor) but cast spikes and greater mighty wallop on it. Thats 4d6 + 1.5 str + Int + 10 (spikes) + 5 (enhancement) for 5 hits. Not that much considering lots of high level things have DR, wait a sec, what DR, for that matter, what SR? Gotta love cunning breach. With 5 attack/round, thats quite a bit of damage there (close on 200 if I don't miss my guess) especially since you don't miss with wraithstrike.

With 42 inspiration points/combat (as a human) you're sitting pretty. Go into melee just so that the DM doesn't have to have an apopletic aneurysm because you went Nova and nuked his BBEG with magic missile.

You're also the party face, lockpicker, performer, climber, crafter, sage e.t.c.

Truly Ted the enabler is reborn, better, quicker, stronger, smarter, more mystical and more badass.

prototype00

I'd make a couple of changes though.

1. Feats: You probably shouldn't take all feats as Font of Inspiration, methinks here are some of the best alternatives I've found:

a. Knowledge Devotion (your check should be stupid good for this, free +5 to hit and +5 to damage eventually)
b. Practiced Spellcaster (Factotum) You want to qualify for all those yummy item crafting feats right? This will help you do it as Chameleon CL is no use for that.
c. Open Least Chakra -> Bound Shedu Crown to brow Chakra -> Mindsight (never be surprised again, you're a walking radar!) - This involves using the floating Chameleon feat to Shape Soulmeld which are permanent even when the feat is changed.
d. At low levels (1st level) you can take Hidden Talent Psionic Feat to take Minor Creation (Psionic) 7 levels earlier than spellcasters would have it. Dominate combat with cubic feet of Greensickness poison (DC 33! Inhaled! 2d6 Str + 1d4 Con! Simple because it's just the spores of the Plague Brush plant, no crafting involved!)

And of course Chameleon gives you easy access to up to 6th level casting of every divine and arcane class out there (haste at 1st level, for example via the Trapsmith class list)

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-05-18, 01:59 AM
Factotum (all skills are class skills, all spells are class spells) would be a good component basis, as would bard. (Although I get it if neither of those is gish enough.) Add a dip in rogue, three levels will give you trap finding, one step of trap sense, two steps of sneak attack and evasion, and maybe two levels of ranger for a free track feat, fighting style and proficiencies. The first levels of both are important to take early, for a skill monkey, the rest can wait until you're happy with your basic spellcasting.

Bonus points for you though if you come up with something that uses a level of expert. Maybe two. :smallwink:

Reprimand
2017-05-18, 02:20 AM
Er sorry I should have been more specific I will update the OP with this as well.

My usual DMs doesn't usually ToB, Incarneum, Tome of Magic (The DM/Group don't care for binding in particular as the DM himself has problems with it being in his game as the idea/lore of binding bothering him quite a bit on a personal level.), They don't think they're op or anything they just don't care for the flavor on a lot of these types of "magic". We try to limit ourselves to all the base classes from 3.5 core+ completes and most of the alternate class feature type stuff most PRCs are allowed.

In terms of sources allowed the best way to describe this is anything that builds off any of the core+completes is allowed almost all alternate class features are allowed same with races but the group tends to draw lines in the sand when it comes to new magic type systems such as maneuvers/stances, binding, incarnanum etc. Psionics is welcome but alternate base classes like chamleon/factotum are not. However stuff like Psychic Rogue would be well received as it has roots in the core as a rogue.

PRCs that build off core would usually be welcome as long as they fit a theme within the base game i.e. sneaky caster etc.

I would need to run anything outside these past the DMs especially when it comes to classes.

And yeah stuff like Lion Totem Barb is allowed they just don't care of classes that build off entirely new mechanics. We've even used stuff like the blood magic feats from bow & blade from 3.0

Sorry if this sounds overly nitpicky/complex but it's just how they are.

Rebel7284
2017-05-18, 02:29 AM
I was also going to suggest Factotum, with or without Chameleon, great flexibility either way!

With regular arcane spellcasters, it's pretty easy, as you noted, Unseen Seer is pretty great.

It's a little more complicated with Divine classes, Cloistered Cleric with the Kobold domain gets pretty close, especially after using Divine Metamagic to Persist Divine Power. Free Knowledge Devotion doesn't hurt either.

Alternatively, Arcane Trickster can actually progress divine spellcasting, so you can do something silly like:
Hit and Run Sneak Attack Fighter 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 1/Ur Priest 1-2/Arcane Trickster 8-9

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-05-18, 02:31 AM
In that case cleric or bard seems like a good foundation, depending on whether skills or spells are more important to you. Maybe a mix of both, if you're fine with just having tons of low level spells. If there are still skills you really want after adding rogue and maybe ranger or fighter, have another dip in a class that has them.

In fact, maybe just bard/cleric could be pretty cool... A mix of 12 levels of bard to 8 of cleric would get you to 4th level spells on both, similar to a half caster, but with more spells per day and more flexibility, a bunch of useful bard tricks and still a decent amount of skill points (take the first level in bard for 6 points extra, because I don't think you'll have much room to increase your intelligence bonus to skills). The fighting style would be pretty rogueish, with a mix of D6 and D8 hit dice and only light armor. But you'll have plenty of low level healing.

Reprimand
2017-05-18, 02:36 AM
I was also going to suggest Factotum, with or without Chameleon, great flexibility either way!

With regular arcane spellcasters, it's pretty easy, as you noted, Unseen Seer is pretty great.

It's a little more complicated with Divine classes, Cloistered Cleric with the Kobold domain gets pretty close, especially after using Divine Metamagic to Persist Divine Power. Free Knowledge Devotion doesn't hurt either.

Alternatively, Arcane Trickster can actually progress divine spellcasting, so you can do something silly like:
Hit and Run Sneak Attack Fighter 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 1/Ur Priest 1-2/Arcane Trickster 8-9

This is basically what I'm looking for out of a divine gish: lots of skill granting level, >=5d6 Sneak attack, 7th level spells at least and +16 bab? do any builds come to mind that can meet these goals or better?

Are there buff spells that can increase bab I think I remember at least one in PHB.

Kaleph
2017-05-18, 02:49 AM
I'm using such a character right now, and I did some researches in this direction, so I can present you what I found out. I started with similar requirements as yours:

Glass cannon: not a meatshield, but BAB 15+, d6/d8 HP, and possibly the Chance to increase the damage Output (SA is only one of These Options)
Skillmonkey: I'll need trapfinding in order to occupy the "Rogue slot" in the party, plus the iconic AD&D-like rogue skills: hide, move silently, spot, listen, disable device, search, open lock. Plus concentration. It's 4/6 basic skill-points per level (may vary depending on race, feats and int sinergy)
Spells: mostly self buffs, to increase our martial prowess and our sneakyness (?). But if we can occupy the role of secondary spell-caster it's even better. I'd orient myself to 6th+ level spells.

I found out that there are 3 Approaches to the solution of the Problem:

Single class
Dip
Complex multi-classing

When I say dip, I mean 1 Level of rogue, factotum or variant ranger, and the able learner feat.

I also found out that you can reach the purpose with arcane and divine Magic and also with psionic; I'm not well versed in other Subsystems (e.g. incarnum), so I cannot give you advice in this Domain (but you're not asking anyhow).

Some build advice for single class characters:
Meleeficer: an artificer can already do everything, if you go the meleeficer way you also have a strong gish-y feel. May be a bad idea because artificers become quickly broken/borderline cheesy/ultimately cheesy
Factotum: look, it has already everything that we Need! Yuhuuuu!
Psychic rogue/lurk/spellthief: I personally favor the psychic rogue, although limited to 5th Level powers. Since it's a full-manifester, though, using the Augment Options will factually allow to simulate the effects of higher-Level spells.
Beguiler: nice class, not gishy enough. Correct with PrC for best effect.
Cloistered cleric: Divine metamagic (persist) for the gish part, 6 skill Points per Level to start with, and Access to all the skills and the spells you really Need through a good selection of Domains. Kobold Domain is a must, which means you either have to be a Kobold, or be Level 6 and gain Access through a planar touchstone.

Some build advice for dipped characters:

Bard: if you may use the splatbooks, the bard is a pretty effective gish; I don't know how many sinergy with Charisma you can throw in the build to increase damage and/or to-hit-Bonus. Also, a very nice spell selection. Also, more social abilities that you will Need.
Arcane swordsage: could be interesting if someone would now how it works.
Cloistered cleric: same as single-class, but with SA and without Kobold Domain/planar touchstone. Also, you have able learner so you may PrC freely, since you don't have to stay cleric to have Access to disable device.

Some prestige class advice:

Human paragon: a very good filler, with a solid (but not excellent) Chassis and 3 nice Features: a limited Version of able learner, a Bonus feat and a boost to an ability (intelligence, basically). Also, it may help avoid the XP-Penalty for multi-classing.
Unseen seer/daggerspell mage: I know that unseen seer is normally better, but daggerspell mage is also a good Option (more HP). Consider that TWF is in this case a good strategy, due to arcane strike.
RKV: it has 4 skill Points per Level, so it can Support our scope. I searched for alternatives, but I believe it's the best PrC Overall for a divine sneaky gish.
Sublime chord: if you include bard in your build. Take only 1-2 Levels and then switch to something else. I don't list them, but basically every PrC with fast Level Progression (also Ur-Priest, for example) may have their use.
Swiftblade: also here, 4 skill Points per Level may be enough, the class Features are cool, and you can Combine it with a bard/sublime chord for a very strong character.
Sanctified mind/slayer/elocator: my favored choices, psionics add a lot of intrinsic versatility to a character, who's supposed to be able to think on his feet.

To increase the damage Output, you Need at least 1d6 SA to get craven, and it's already enough. If you're an arcane spellcaster, choose arcane strike. If you're psionic, use a deepcrystal weapon. If you find hard to get SA, buy an eternal wand of heroics and steal it through "martial stance". An assassination/deadly precision weapon is also a must.

Rebel7284
2017-05-18, 03:15 AM
This is basically what I'm looking for out of a divine gish: lots of skill granting level, >=5d6 Sneak attack, 7th level spells at least and +16 bab? do any builds come to mind that can meet these goals or better?

Are there buff spells that can increase bab I think I remember at least one in PHB.

This can be done if dragon magazine content is allowed.

I already mentioned the spell, Divine Power. There is also Tenser's Transformation, but that one sucks. :)

Rogue 1/Hit and Run Sneak Attack Fighter 1/Cloistered Cleric 18

Needed feats:
Sacred Outlaw (Dragon #357)
Extend Spell (planning domain grants this for free)
Persistent Spell
Divine Metamagic[Persistent Spell]

End result:
- Amazing skills at all levels except level 2
- 11d6 sneak attack
- Full BAB with Divine Power

Edit: you can of course take Rogue 3 and pick up penetrating strike as your other build, and delay your spells some. Suboptimal, but you mention that you're okay with less spellcasting.

Thurbane
2017-05-18, 03:16 AM
Archivist 6/Ruathar 3/Dragonslayer 1/Hexer 10

BAB 16
Full casting
Heavy armor and weapon proficiencies

...that only downside to "skillmonkeying" is the Hexer levels and Dragonslayer level.

If you specficially want trapfinding, you might need to drop a caster level; get the Kobold Domain through Planar Touchstone feat; or Theft Gloves through incarnum feats (I'm not great on incarnum, not sure this can be done?).

If you can find a race that's able to take Able Learner, as well as count as an "other primitive humanoid", all the better.

Neanderthal is the first one that comes to mind, but unfortunately they take a hit to Int. Actually, Underfolk should be OK. Half-giant or Eneko, if LA buyoff is allowed and flaws are in play (Human Heritage + Able Learner; giants can get into Hexer).

Kaleph
2017-05-18, 03:59 AM
I also like the planar touchstone/Kobold Domain Combo, but the only risk is that a DM may rule that you don't get disable device as class skill, since it would apply only to your cleric Levels (which you haven't). So, you'd Need to go the alternative route, i.e. able learner and probably a rogue/ranger/factotum dip.

Kaleph
2017-05-18, 05:00 AM
Some builds.

Psion - trapfinding, 16 BAB, 9th Level powers, maxxed roguish skills including diplomacy and bluff, fast movement, potentially 4d6 SA + 2d6 deepcrystal, vigor + share pan Combo, psicrystal
Crane clan human Ranger 1/Psion 1/Human paragon 3/Psion 1/Sanctified mind 3/Anarchic initiate 3/Sanctified mind 3/Anarchic initiate 5
The character I'm playing right now. I don't Need able learner thanx to the Human paragon 1st Level ability, so I save a feat. Also, I've got Iron Will through a mini-quest. Human paragon should work with psionics by RAW, otherwise it's an obvious adaptation.
The psionic PrC's have already a nice skill selection. I'm not very good at hiding, but for that I have the psicrystal, which is a real asset for a sneaky character, since either you get +2 (with help another) or a re-roll to many checks.
I selected the Telepath due to charm/dominate (which have excellent Augments) and schism. With that, anticipate strike and temporal acceleration I have the easiest Tools to break the actions' economy.
Later on I'll get metamorphosis and receive accordingly a huge boost to the martial prowess.
Regarding sneak attack, I'd use the eternal wand/assassination deadly precision weapon Combo.

Swiftblade - trapfinding, 16 BAB, 8th Level spells (bard + sorcerer) and time stop, some +7 or so inspire Courage Bonus, potentially >4d6 SA + craven, astonishing skills, arcane strike, wardance and Charisma synergies.
(Feat) rogue 1/Bard 8/Sublime chord 1/Swiftblade 10
I'd try to Keep int as high as possible, for the Bonus skillpoints and to get words of creation. MAD is reduced since I can use alter self (for AC) and abuse snowflake wardance, arcane strike and Charisma-based objects (for hit&dam).
Feats: Able learner, nymph's kiss, dodge, mobility, snowflake wardance, song of the heart, melodic casting, spring attack, arcane strike, words of creation, bonding assault and practiced spellcaster. With a runestaff you may also perform some amount of healing. Complete with the echoblade and the objects that add Cha to damage.
If you want craven, don't use the feat rogue, start with 1d6 SA, and remove a couple of feats.

Cloistered cleric - 20 BAB and full cleric spellcasting, potentially 4d6 SA, many good skills maxxed
Nothing to say here, it's quite straightforward. I'd use planar touchstone to get trapfinding, and I'd go with human. Unfortunately no int synergy, potentially MAD if you don't use persistent divine agility. In any case I'd select knowledge, treachery and luck as Domains (so no Bonus knowledge Devotion), and I'd replace knowledge with travel using Substitute Domain.
Again use the eternal wand trick for SA.

Death master - 16 BAB and 18/19 Levels of spellcasting classes, potentially 7d6 SA + craven, many good skills maxxed, arcane strike
Ranger 1/deathmaster 1/human paragon 3/deathmaster 3/unseen seer 8/abjurant Champion 4
This is just an example that can be adjusted, based on what you're mainly interested into (spells, skills, or BAB). You may use turn undeads to fuel some divine feat. Also, it has a lot of nice flavor (that's the main reason for the death master).

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-18, 11:32 AM
I think I once set up a bard / sublime chord / legacy champion build that was pretty well balanced for bab, skills, and spells.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-18, 11:58 AM
Factotum (all skills are class skills, all spells are class spells)
Not true. They're limited to Sorcerer/Wizard spells.

My personal favorite is Changeling Rogue 1/Totemist 2/Incarnate 2/Chameleon 10, who can basically be totally different character every day, but I see that violates your book restrictions... Shadowbane Stakler offers 8/10 casting, 3d6 sneak attack (and the ability to burn spell slots for more), and assorted stealth and AC boosts. Rogue 1/Cleric 4 makes for a dead-easy entry. If Dragon material is online, the feat Sacred Outlaw lets you stack Rogue and Cleric levels for sneak attack, among others. Rouge 1/Cloistered Cleric 19 would be pretty perfect.

Waker
2017-05-18, 11:58 AM
Rebel7284 pointed it out, but I'll restate it for emphasis. Dragon #357 has two feats that might appeal, Sacred Outlaw and Sacred Performer. The first lets your levels of Cleric and Rogue stack for the purposes of Sneak Attack and Turn Undead, the second does it with Bard/Cleric for Bardic Knowledge/Music and Turn Undead. They are basically just an expansion of the multiclass feats that were first introduced in Complete Adventurer.

Reprimand
2017-05-18, 02:33 PM
Everyone keeps suggesting cloistered cleric and I understand based on the skill points that its a great choice but my main concern is the poor bab (The variant gives you the worst bab progression in the game.) Also I do not care about heavy armor as I am trying to make skill checks I feel that light armor would be the best choice even over say mithril breastplate etc. Also trapfinding specifically is not an issue I do not need to worry about disable device or open lock as skills I can count the number of times I've had to disable a trap with this group on one hand. I more so want to get as many monster lore related knowledge skills and stealth skills as I can manage along with stuff like tumble, a few ranks in climb/balance and a few more in swim and social skills if it can be managed mostly bluff/gatherinfo/diplomacy. The only skills I "Need to max" are stealth imo and maybe bluff

Stuff I would want from rogue is more like skill points/Sneak attack/Moderate bab/Penetrating strike acf/etc

Gildedragon
2017-05-18, 02:37 PM
Bard/wizard+prestige bard+abjurant champ+able learner?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-18, 02:55 PM
Everyone keeps suggesting cloistered cleric and I understand based on the skill points that its a great choice but my main concern is the poor bab (The variant gives you the worst bab progression in the game.) Also I do not care about heavy armor as I am trying to make skill checks I feel that light armor would be the best choice even over say mithril breastplate etc. Also trapfinding specifically is not an issue I do not need to worry about disable device or open lock as skills I can count the number of times I've had to disable a trap with this group on one hand. I more so want to get as many monster lore related knowledge skills and stealth skills as I can manage along with stuff like tumble, a few ranks in climb/balance and a few more in swim and social skills if it can be managed mostly bluff/gatherinfo/diplomacy. The only skills I "Need to max" are stealth imo and maybe bluff

Stuff I would want from rogue is more like skill points/Sneak attack/Moderate bab/Penetrating strike acf/etc
Cloistered Cleric is nice if you're not sticking around for long-- the extra skill points are real useful at first, and you can make up low BAB with Knowledge Devotion easily enough, at least before iteratives become a thing. By which point you're probably PrCing out. In the meantime, you do get the light armor, the skill points, the monster-IDing skills (and free Knowledge Devotion, if you want it), and so on.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-05-18, 03:04 PM
Not true. They're limited to Sorcerer/Wizard spells.

They are, my bad, good catch.

To put this into perspective, a simple standard cleric 13/rogue 5/ranger 2 would give 7th level spells, 16 bab and 3d6 sneak attack. Leaving out the ranger for 2 more rogue gives 4d6 sneak attack but 15 bab. But it probably relies a bit much on intelligence for getting skills out of those cleric levels (assuming starting as rogue and +0 int bonus you're getting 26+64+12=102 skill points or 106 without ranger levels, which means 5 maxed skills), while the character is already dependent on at least two other stats, wis for casting and dex for skills and attacks (if going ranged and finesse). So that's the gap those fancy classes I know way too little about have to close.

DEMON
2017-05-18, 03:58 PM
The original skill monkey - Rogue, has some nice racial substitution levels when it comes to skill monkey-ing.

Changeling Rogue 1 offers an unmatched 10+INT skill points (40 if it's your first class, not accounting for the INT bonus) and skill mastery in 5(!) skills. All at 1st level, giving up it's Trapfinding ability, which can be regained from a plethora of other sources, pretty much all of them good for skill monkeys. Also adds an extra knowledge skill to your skill list, for good measure.

Rilkan Rogue 3, on the other hand, gives you Bardic Knowledge. If ACF chaining is allowed, this could be traded for Bardic Knack or Loresong, both of which are great for skill monkeys.

The Rilkan sub levels are nowhere near as good as the Changling one(s), especially if you're planning on multiclassing, but they offer something different, that is not available to Rogues of other races.

You can follow this up with pretty much anything with a decent amount of skill points (such as Ranger, Scout, Spellthief, Bard and of course Factotum, Beguiler or Cloistered Cleric), or go Chameleon (Changelings should qualify) for the ultimate jack-of-all-tadery.

Gildedragon
2017-05-18, 04:47 PM
The original skill monkey - Rogue, has some nice racial substitution levels when it comes to skill monkey-ing.

Changeling Rogue 1 offers an unmatched 10+INT skill points (40 if it's your first class, not accounting for the INT bonus) and skill mastery in 5(!) skills. All at 1st level, giving up it's Trapfinding ability, which can be regained from a plethora of other sources, pretty much all of them good for skill monkeys. Also adds an extra knowledge skill to your skill list, for good measure.
Actually skillpointwise Changeling Rogue is worse than standard Human Rogue.
One only gets 10 skillpoints at 3 levels, for a max of +12 skillpoints over 8 levels.
Human rogue gets +1 extra skillpoint at every one of those 8 levels, for a max of +11 skillpoints at lvl 8, a bonus feat, and every level thereafter an extra skillpoint...

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-18, 05:14 PM
One only gets 10 skillpoints at 3 levels, for a max of +12 skillpoints over 8 levels.
Human rogue gets +1 extra skillpoint at every one of those 8 levels, for a max of +11 skillpoints at lvl 8, a bonus feat, and every level thereafter an extra skillpoint...
It's a hell of a dip, though!

DEMON
2017-05-18, 05:16 PM

Fair enough, but that only matters when you're going to take that many Rog levels.

Plus there's still those skill masteries (and then some) and knowledge boosts that give the Changeling an upper hand, I thin, all things considered.

Thurbane
2017-05-18, 06:41 PM
Ninja 1/Cloistered Cleric 19; Persisted Divine Power.

Lots of skill points, +20 BAB (once PDP comes online), Wis to AC, trapfinding, sudden strike.

Trade away Knowledge Domain for Knowledge Devotion to boost your attack and damage rolls. Leaves you with two domain choices to compliment your skillmonkeying and/or gishing.

Godskook
2017-05-18, 09:37 PM
I'm a fan of Daggerspell Mage, Unseen Seer, with a possible Arcane Trickster filler.

Daggerspell Mage gives you a few nifty tricks that are quite tempting as an Rogue-gish, such as holding and delivering charges with your dagger attacks, and free quicken, on top of a reasonably good progression.

Unseen Seer because it gives you a better staggering of SA and access to Hunter's Eye.

I like entering as a Human so I can focus whichever prestige class I feel like. Without human or flaws, you either have to take cross-class skill ranks, grab Rogue after 1st(a huge hit to skill points, a mild hit to HP), or delay entry. As a human, you can take Able Learner to grab Unseen Seer or take Practiced Caster to get into Daggerspell Mage.

Human
Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 2/Daggerspell Mage 10/Unseen Seer +3
Grab Hunter's Eye

CL 18/20, Practiced Caster makes that 20/20 for casting, +1 for Divinations
SA 5d6 + 7d6(spell)
BAB: 12
Fractional BAB: 14
Skill points: 130(8 short of 6+int, if you want to benchmark that)
Feats required: Weapon Focus, TWF, Practiced Caster, Able Learner

Note: You can add Spellthief instead of Rogue for a loss of 8 skill points and another feat for master spellthief and have another trick under your belt.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-05-19, 01:15 AM
Ranger/Psion or Ardent/Slayer, there are tons of various level combinations. I'd go with only a single Ranger level with Fast Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger), Ardent is probably better for manifesting with Substitute Powers (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) and Practiced Manifester but Psion gives Int synergy for skill points.

If you want more sneak attack, a Rogue 4/ Wizard 1/ Assassin 5/ Arcane Trickster 10 (advancing Wizard) gets 6th level spells, but doesn't have the BAB to be a gish. I personally prefer going something like Spellthief 1/ Psion 4/ Psychic Assassin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d) 6/ Slayer 9 for a sneak attacking gish, since Mind Cripple is just so much better than more sneak attack dice.

Eldariel
2017-05-19, 01:36 AM
I've played simple Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 10/Spellwarp Sniper 5 (could use Arcane Trickster) instead. More than good enough (52 skill points on first level, PHBII retraining to redistribute them as desired - add Nymph's Kiss, Keen Intellect and perhaps Able Learner for true omnipotence), though of course you'll have to use Divine Power for BAB. Cloistered Cleric 20 or Cloistered Cleric 19/Ruathar 1 (for certain class skills) is a good option too: Cloistered Cleric gets a delicious amount of skill points and Cleric Domains are a great way to get any class skills you might determine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?451088-Alternative-ways-to-get-new-Class-skills). As Clerics have endogenous access to Divine Power and Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell, you'll have full BAB effortlessly. And most importantly, Divine insight [Spell Compendium] and Guidance of the Avatar [WoTC site (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a)] are readily available (Unseen Seer should also pick these up as Advanced Learnings) to ensure massive bonuses to any skill checks (+35 in the best case scenario).

Yeah, Factotum/Chameleon or straight-up Factotum (Factotum 19 is delicious for spell/martial/whatever access) are both great too, and Artificers can mimic all spells and have medium BAB and 4+Int skill points so that's passable. Beguiler can with some trickery Gish it up (I'll say this: Divine Power is an evocation) and comes with built-in casting and skill points. Shadowcraft Mage to taste.

Vaz
2017-05-19, 02:25 AM
I'm actually running a character that is an unconventional skill monkey recently, but otherwise fairly capable at it.

Neraph Ardent 10/Slime Lord 5/Marshal 1

Slime Lord wasn't strictly needed, but I absolutely loved the flavour, and I think that was what helped me power through some of the DM decisions my way rather than a pure power. It's certainly not a neat one, but essentially it relies on using the Marshal ability to Motivate skill checks with their Charisma Modifier, while using the Alter Self of the Slime Lord in conjunction with the Metamorphic Transfer ability to transition into a Visilight; a 5HD Outsider that can Grapple an opponent to Drain their Charisma, adding the drained amount to their own.

Now, normally this can only normally benefit one particular ability score, but that's where the Psionic Abilities came in; using Psychic Reformation (added to a relevant Mantle, using the Substitute Powers ability from Minds Eye; I chose Corruption and Madness to reflect Ghaunadaur, although Mental Power or Consumption also fit). Now, PsiRef isn't typically seen as being able to change the abilities of a class level, but my DM ruled that it was something I could do, under the "undo decisions of these sorts", so I could change up what Minor Motivate X Aura I would have in play.

This would mean that I could add my Charisma bonus to ramp up what my stats would otherwise support. Given that the Charisma boost only drains at 1/hour, and you get three of these abilities in a standard day, using a typical human as the example means that you have a net gain of +6-9 each and every day you maintain this process. Taking a single rank in every trained charisma skill means that you can rock on with just ensuring you drain the Charisma of another creature. Even if he couldn't afford to be seen, he could subdue a trio of Donkey's for a free +12 Charisma, and +6 to his (and the party's motivated stats).

Added onto that, he had Psychofeedback, which could give him an instant boost to his physical ability scores when urgency was a thing, burning his Charisma by 14 points, in order to get the same added to his relevant stat; +7 Constitution for example not only made his Paralysis Pseudopods more likely to succeed, but also gave him +110HP for survivability; something a Barbarian often was jealous off.

So, general plan was to spend a few days hugging people into comas (or worst comes to worst, creating Astral Constructs to keep Charisma up), and then adventure.

However, there's another bit that's equally important here, and it's getting XP free Psychic Reformation; normally it's 50XP per level you want to reform; which gets super expensive when you're rearranging your Skill ranks. The least "abusive" way of doing this was from a Thought Bottle - it still costs 500XP, so you had to rearrange 11 levels to make it a worthwhile expense, so you don't want to be doing it too often.

The other way is using the Grandfathered 3.0 materials, which involves using the Scribe Tattoo+Psionic Tattoo Master to be able to craft Psionic Tattoos of Linked Power Chameleon (or Synchronity), Linked to Psychic Reformation, and using a Capacitor, every 8 days you can trigger a Psychic Reformation for free, not using any XP apart from the XP required during crafting. You can take 8 of these, but as a Capacitor takes a slot, and you have a max cap of 17 using the grandfathered in 3.0 rules, this may reduce your access elsewhere - although 3.5 allows you to take 20 tat's, so talk it over with your DM. (Note, it also reduces your PP Max by 1 for each recharging Tattoo, but that can be got around by picking up a batch of +1 Manifester Arrows, or at least a Dagger if that's too cheesy - bearing in mind that you yourself can craft this).

The final way requires a bit more DM approval, but gives the DM a free plot hook to work with, and is more limited in it's application, rather than simply pointing to a tribal tattoo or crappy dreamcatcher tat and replacing your skills. Essentially, it uses the Profession (Executioner) skill to hit a DC18 check, and then the Knowledge (Religion) check to score against the equivalent 4th level spell abilities; Divine Power being a 1 round/level duration, but with a DC25 Religion check, you get it cast on you, for free, for 24 hours - while you're not too fussed with the Divine Power (although as a gish, with three 3/4 BAB classes, it's certainly welcome), it seems equivalent to getting Psychic Reformation cast on you - given that half of the casting XP is paid half equally by both, you should rearrange each time you level up to put your skills and feats that you'll never rearrange at the earliest chance you can., which will keep earlier costs down. Obviously the downside on that is sacrificing someone, it's only 1/day, and not leaving a body trail; no Astral Constructs do not count.

The character can be a skill monkey, but it cannot do it all at once - at least until it goes full ham, and picks up the Dark Chaos Shuffle.

Eladrinblade
2017-05-19, 05:18 PM
Don't forget Rich's Divine Trickster.

Thurbane
2017-05-19, 05:59 PM
Factotum 1/Archivist 18/Sacred Exorcist 1 (obviously not in that exact order).

DMM Persist Divine Power for +20 BAB
Full martial weapon proficiency (throw a Dragonslayer dip in there if you really want heavy armor; probably better off using the Halfweight enhancement and saving your feats)
Trapfinding
ALL skills as class skills (if you qualify for Able Learner)
INT based casting
Go Illumian Aeshkrau or Uurkrau if you want to dump WIS, and use either STR or DEX for bonus spells