PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Bard thief help

Haydensan
2017-05-18, 04:17 AM
Hi Playgrounders

I'm going to be starting a new campaign soon that i think will be starting at either lv 1 or 3. I'm really wanting to play a bard because i love the idea of them and i have presented my character concept to the DM and he likes it.

Basically its he is a noble human who has doesn't have to worry about keeping appearances so much as he is last in line to represent his family. Anyway long story short he thinks of himself as a bit of cat-burglar stealing from other noble families and institutes, not for the money, but for the thrill and a test of skills. In a fight i imagine him darting in and out being very acrobatic and maybe using a blade and dagger and then falling back on spells when he doesn't want to jump in but not sure yet

I'm having trouble with how to get this to work mechanics wise. i'm thinking college of swords (the new one) or lore maybe with a multi-class into rogue for a 1 to 3 level dip. Not sure if the Rogue MC is a good idea as it would delay my spell casting a lot. Or the feat to pick up expertise theives tools or something along those lines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TLDR how would you make a bard thief?

NinaWu
2017-05-18, 04:31 AM
Get rogue lv 1 for the extra skill and throw into bard from there. Doing it the other way around will give you 1 less skill proficiency.

Contrast
2017-05-18, 04:39 AM
Are you sure you want to play a bard? The character you described sounds more like a swashbuckler or arcane trickster to me.

Go in with your eyes open. Bards are spellcasters. College of Valor/Swords are band aids at best, spell casting will be your go to option if you go primarily bard.

Haydensan
2017-05-18, 04:44 AM
I see him more as a primary spell caster that likes to pretend hes something else. in fights he may just have his sword out swinging it but just be throwing out spells and cantrips but likes to think hes being a daring fighter

Contrast
2017-05-18, 04:53 AM
In that case I'd definately recommend varient human and the burglar feat from the UA if thats an option rather than dipping rogue (which, as you say, would be a very heavy price to pay for a level 1-3 character).

You can always pick up the mobile feat at level 4 to further simulate the rogue flavour without delaying spellcasting.

Haydensan
2017-05-18, 04:59 AM
To clarify, i think the starting level of the campaign will be from 1-3. the campaign itself might run until mid teens.

EDIT: Thanks for the replies, also, does anyone have any advice on spell choices for such a character, and in an ideal world if he managed to get an uncommon magic item of choice what would you pick?

TLDR: how would you make a bard thief?