PDA

View Full Version : Is it at all possible to make Master of Radiance workable?

SangoProduction
2017-05-18, 04:39 AM
I mean, outside of an undead campaign, where you could already just be a cleric and win. And, for argument's sake, the class can be arcane instead. I mean blinding a target with a tiny bit of damage is nice...but you could do that as a standard action with glitterdust, or what have you, in an AoE.

Why am I asking? Because I kinda wanted to make a light mage, and there doesn't seem to be all that much support for such a concept, outside of simply refluffing everything...which is obviously the best way to do anything, but still the point remains.

weckar
2017-05-18, 04:49 AM
Light mage as in they produce light, or Light as in "Good/Holy"?

Kaleph
2017-05-18, 05:18 AM
Check if the knight of the raven is adaptable to a wizard.

SangoProduction
2017-05-18, 06:20 AM
Light mage as in they produce light, or Light as in "Good/Holy"?

As in luminescence.

Fizban
2017-05-18, 09:50 AM
Sunbeam is a line, which is an AoE. I guess you're assuming the blinding has a duration equal to that of the spell, but the duration is for how long you can fire blasts. Master of Radiance gives you a bunch of light ammo in exchange for a caster level.

If you want an arcane light mage, you just take the arcane light spells.

Gildedragon
2017-05-18, 09:58 AM
Arcane light mage:
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil
Rainbows and sunbeams!

Alternatively ask your DM if you can make a light-themed shadowcraft mage

Zancloufer
2017-05-18, 11:55 AM
Archivist might work. I remember there being a decent number of light based attack spells in the spell compendium. Probably enough half decent ones to have 1-2 of each spell level.

Telonius
2017-05-18, 12:25 PM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?251997-Good-light-based-spells) has some ideas; Feralventas' post in particular.

ngilop
2017-05-18, 02:23 PM
Take a gander at this, yo.

Master of Radiance (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16403022&postcount=29)

its one of the many PrCs I set about fixing to make them worthwhile.

SangoProduction
2017-05-18, 11:09 PM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?251997-Good-light-based-spells) has some ideas; Feralventas' post in particular.

Take a gander at this, yo.

Master of Radiance (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16403022&postcount=29)

its one of the many PrCs I set about fixing to make them worthwhile.

Nice. Thanks for this.

Psyren
2017-05-19, 10:30 AM
Arcane light mage:
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil
Rainbows and sunbeams!

Seconding this - it'd be the strongest "light mage" possible.

ATHATH
2017-05-19, 12:14 PM
Pick up the Initiate of Lathander feat, if you can.

Gruftzwerg
2017-05-19, 01:22 PM
1.) take an arcane caster of your choice (e.g. wizard)
2.) take Souther Magican feat (lets you cast your Daylight spell as divine for entering the prc)
3.) get into MoR asap
4.) take Divine Metamagic feat
5.) PROFIT!

well I guess you where hoping for a more "light" oriented optimization, but that was the best I could come up so fast.

Having access to Divine Metamagic is great as arcane caster. Get some extra turn attempts (feat) and have fun.

Gullintanni
2017-05-19, 02:12 PM
Images and glamers are essentially manipulations of light. If I were crafting a spellbook for a "Light Mage", at the very least spells like Invisibility and Mirror Image would be in it.

Positive Energy Aura from Spell Compendium surrounds you in a white, shining aura that heals living creatures nearby, and harms nearby undead. You'd at least have the look down. The spell is eligible for Persistification.

Gruftzwerg
2017-05-19, 05:44 PM
the more I think about my idea, the more I like it.

Imho a single lvl dip as Master of Radiance would be fine (due to spellcasting progression loss). The 2nd lvl could still be usefull if you want to go for the searing light ability, but I wouldn't recommend that. More would hurt the build to much.

Add some Nightsticks and you can persist all the cool arcane spells you want/need and maximize all the stuff you want (or can afford)^^

2 feats and a single (arcane) spell-lvl progression loss is totally worth the outcome imho.

Anthrowhale
2017-05-20, 06:41 AM
I think you are better off skipping Master of Radiance and just specializing in light spells. There are a number of good light spells with the apex being Blinding Glory (100'/level emanation blinding evil no save). It's also easy use thematically appropriate to use fire spells.