PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monk Subclass Way of Inner Arcana

Raigomaru
2017-05-18, 08:58 AM
MONK Way of Inner Arcana
Monks of Inner Arcana have trained to master the flow or magical energy and harness the arcane powers by channeling their inner ki and reading the surrounding for magical energy.
They the most equiped against enemies that use magic and learn techniques to use the power of their enemies against them.

your save DC for your abilities is calculated as 8 + proficiency modifier + wisdom modifier

Inner power
at 3rd level when you choose this tradition you can use your inner ki to channel its power outwards.
you learn the mage hand cantrip if you did not already know it and you can cast detect magic as a ritual without material components
uppon spending 2 ki points you can utilize your inner ki to cast a strengthend mage hand that lasts for 1 minute.
during this time the mage hand mimics your movements and you can strike your enemies as if you were standing next to them.
you gain a range of 30 feet and the damage dealt is force damage. you add your wisdom modifier to the damage instead of your strength or dex.
you can make other combat actions as normal with the strengthed mage hand, such as the help or graplle action or the fighters combat maneuvers if you have them
during this time you can spend additional ki points to make other actions.
at 3rd level you can:
ki ward
you channel your inner ki to protect you from physical harm. you can spend 1 additional ki point to cast blade ward as a bonus action
ki strike
you can see the flow of ki around you. as a bonus action you can spend 1 additional ki point to cast true strike on yourself.
sanctuaki
l you channel all your inner ki outwards. by spending 2 ki points you can cast sanctuary on yourself. during this time you can move around freely. however you need to concentrate to maintain it and cannot attack.
ki hold
you bind all your inner ki to your enemy by spending 2 1 ki point you can cast hold person. during this time you lose all other benefits of strengthened mage hand. at 9th level you can also hold beasts with this move

at 6h level you can:
silencing strike
at 6th level you can make a precise ki channeled strike at the throat of an enemy. it has to make a constitution save or be silenced up to end of your next turn.
ki explosion
at 6th level as an action you can spend 3 ki points tp let some condesed ki explode within 60 ft. in a 10 ft radius everyone takes 6d6 force damage on a failed dexterity save and half on succefull one.
ki interference
at 6th level you can spend 4 ki points to cast dispel magic. for higher level spells you spend 2 ki points extra.
ki step
at 6th level you can spend 2 ki points to cast misty step on yourself

at 11th level you can
Ki Overflow
you can spend 5 aditional ki points to make the strengthened mage hand more powerfull for the rest of its duration. it is as if you cast telekinesis.
moreover your strikes are empowerd by 2d8 force damage. if you grapple/restrain a target during this tame you can spend an action to interact with it:
to crush it. it has to role a con save or take 6d8 force damage on a failed save half as much otherwise.
you can also hit with it or: throw it. (creatures that can fly can make a dex save to stop mid air (halfway) if you can levitate you cant throw it at all)
size|range|dmg bludeoning(this includes the creature itself) -- dex save or halves
huge|20ft|6d8
large|40ft|4d8
medium|80ft|2d8
small|120ft|1d8
tiny|120ft|1d4

at 17th level you can
ki barrier
at 17th level you can spend 10 ki points to cast antimagic field

Arcane control
you gain proficiency in knowledge arcana if you did not already
at 6th level your learn to control the arcane energy cast by other people. you make a Arcana check to see which spell they are casting. if you pass the check you can as a reaction soend 2 ki points to redirect the spell on another target.
if the spell originates from its caster, such as a line or a cone, you change the angle of effect.

Ki harvest
you learn how to harvest arcane energy and turn it into inner ki. if you have to make a saving throw for a spell and you pass you regain ki points equal to its cast spell level.
you cannot gain more ki points than your maximum allows. doing so results in a disbalance of your inner ki and you take damage up 2d8 per ki point over the maximum. this is psychic damage and cannot be reduced.

Arcane affinity
you have advantage on saving throws against all spells and other magical effects

Notes
this is my first time making a full subclass. there are probably some OP things going around. probably the amount of abilities i give this subclass and the ki points the abilities cost.
this subclass was originally supossed to be a rework of the four elements but i came up with an original one and plan on doing the rework of the four elements too.
please give some suggestions on this subclass. how to make it more balanced, or stronger if you think it is underpowerd (doubt it:smallwink::smalltongue:) or if you like the idea in general
also please note if my grammar is off, or the wording is weird or prone to game breaking misuse. i would really like if this could be an actually playable subclass

nickl_2000
2017-05-18, 09:20 AM
Overall comments - What are the DCs for abilities? Calculated the same as 4 elements? May as well state it in here

My first OP thing I see is this

ki hold
you bind all your inner ki to your enemy by spending 1 ki point you can cast hold person. during this time you lose all other benefits of strengthened mage hand. at 9th level you can also hold beasts with this move

You are creating access to a second level spell (that's cool). However, it should be 2 ki to be on level with Darkvision and Pass without a trace from Shadow Monk.

silencing strike
at 6th level you can make a precise ki channeled strike at the throat of an enemy. it has to make a constitution save or be silenced up to end of your next turn.

Is this an action, bonus actions, reaction to casting a spell? What's the ki cost? As a free item this will completely destroy almost all spell casters. I would simply sprint up to them (because I'm a monk), and get them silenced every round for no cost. This is way OP without a ki cost and needs some neutering.

The rest I will leave to others since I haven't played Monks to a high enough level to have a feel for how good it would be. Still it's a good way to take them in a different direction.

Raigomaru
2017-05-18, 09:53 AM
thanks for the advice nickl_2000, I have added the save DC which is indeed calculated the same way and upped the ki point for
ki hold
the goal for this class was indeed to make it a anti mage monk. most if its ability are work when spells are cast on or around him.
Silencing strike is removed. I indeed forgot the things you mentioned but I also remembered that they have access to stunning strike feature which they can use with the strengthened mage hand. making it a bit of an overkill anyway.