PDA

View Full Version : Rogue (Thief?) 15/Open Hand Monk 5 Has anyone played it? Any advice?

Talionis
2017-05-18, 11:08 AM
I'm thinking of playing a Rogue who will use Grappling to grab someone and use them as cover. By my reading it leads to +5 most of the time and +2 some of the time. Strength isn't exactly a priority for the character since Dex and Wisdom are important, so is Constitution. But I figure Expertise will go a long way.

As far as action economy goes, Monk adds a lot to the build if I'm correct. The bonus action attack I get that has to be an Unarmed Strike I can trade for a grapple attack. At three it looks like to me than when I attack I can also cause some one to be prone. If I stun them then I auto win grapple attacks. At 5 I actually gain Extra Attack which gives me the extra chance to Sneak Attack in case I miss the first one.

I had always written Monks off as zero synergy with grappling which seems very odd, but if you can get good at grappling with some other multiclass they can with minimal investment help you to grapple.

The fluff on the character is pretty cool. You get a fairly non-magical character with high Dex and Wisdom. Quick. Probably a decent scout. Doesn't need armor or shields.

What feats should I be looking at?
What Rogue Archetype should I be looking at? Thief fits theme, but maybe something else is better since in combat I maybe using my Bonus Action to grapple and shove?

As much as I was hoping to go non-magical Arcane Trickters may be able to self buff to help me be okay with not having very high strength.

I also may try to quest for Guantlets of Ogre Strength, etc.

But I'm looking for advice... Is it fun? Does this work? What stuff do I add? How do I level it?